Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Taear posted:

I'm absolutely down with that happening to the AI but not to me.
I think a lot of people feel that way in a game like this.

The popularity of CK2 indicates that a large portion of Paradox's fanbase is perfectly happy dealing with rebellious and ambitious vassals. I don't want full CK2 in space (that would need to be a different game completely -- Paradox, you have a license to make Battletech games now, make it happen!) but I think borrowing a little from CK2 would really improve the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Yeah, I'm a CK2 fan and dealing with idiot vassals in space sounds like my idea of a good time.

also: succession crises!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Count me in for thinking that CK2 vassal fuckery in Stellaris sounds hilarious.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
I always end up with a ton of vassals so to be able to actually do something interesting with them would be cool

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taear posted:

While I'd be alright with factions requiring more things (quests and that sort of stuff) having sector governors with their own agendas would just make me never use them, it's really not worth the hassle.
Sector AI has always been weird, I'd prefer if the AI was building a million bunkers because the governor was a diehard militarist faction supporter or planning to secede.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The one instance where your empire actually falls apart is AI rebellion and most people seem to hate that.

I'd just like happiness to actually matter because as is the only time I ever need to pay more than passing attention to what my pops want is when I'm running hell worlds with no consumer goods, since there's a point where managing the planet's happiness becomes untenable and it's time to just bulldoze all the amenities for strongholds and enact martial law.

A planet full of xenophobe purifiers should be similarly ungovernable, if not more ungovernable than a bunch of soft unemployed babies who I refuse to provide Xboxes for

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 22, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is the complaint about Robot Uprising that it just takes your planets randomly? I would think it would be much more sensible if the things pulling at your empire were preestablished political units.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
The galaxy I am in right now is just horrifying. I'm a Determined Exterminator, there are two Fanatical Purifiers and another Determined Exterminator AI. Another is "Slaving Despots" (Fanatic Militarist Authoritarian Imperial). "Ruthless Coporation" (Fanatic Militarist Authoritarian Megacorp).

And one "Harmonious Collective," Xenophile Fanatic Authoritarian Dictatorship. (sounds harmonious!)

Edit: Megacorp promptly obliterated.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Taear posted:

I'm absolutely down with that happening to the AI but not to me.
I think a lot of people feel that way in a game like this.
I disagree but I completely understand the sentiment. My preference is based around the fact that I would rather have to deal with an uppity sector and/or vassal a la CKII than just sit there and wait for truce timers.

An important note here is that if/when Diplomacy mechanics are reworked to be brought to 2019 standards my opinion on the matter may change.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PittTheElder posted:

Is the complaint about Robot Uprising that it just takes your planets randomly? I would think it would be much more sensible if the things pulling at your empire were preestablished political units.
Yup, if an entire sector just dropped out that would be Interesting. Ideally you'd have a sector getting stroppy and you have a few options, like just let them go, make them a vassal, try to work out why they're stroppy and deal with it, drop the boot, just ignore them etc. If they stay stroppy for long enough they drop out entirely.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Splicer posted:

Yup, if an entire sector just dropped out that would be Interesting. Ideally you'd have a sector getting stroppy and you have a few options, like just let them go, make them a vassal, try to work out why they're stroppy and deal with it, drop the boot, just ignore them etc. If they stay stroppy for long enough they drop out entirely.

Yeah, that's the general idea. Yes, it lets bad stuff happen to your empire, but the bad stuff shouldn't be random like the AI rebellion. You should be able to see it coming and deal with it in a variety of ways long before it actually gets bad. And if it does get bad, that should be as a result of your choices rather than just popping up out of thin air.

That said, I definitely understand why that wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Deuce posted:

The galaxy I am in right now is just horrifying. I'm a Determined Exterminator, there are two Fanatical Purifiers and another Determined Exterminator AI. Another is "Slaving Despots" (Fanatic Militarist Authoritarian Imperial). "Ruthless Coporation" (Fanatic Militarist Authoritarian Megacorp).

And one "Harmonious Collective," Xenophile Fanatic Authoritarian Dictatorship. (sounds harmonious!)

Edit: Megacorp promptly obliterated.

Did you know you can form an alliance with the other DE? Defensive pacts, the works.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

In my experience, the robot uprising isn't much of a threat militarilily, but incredibly annoying. Lost an industrial ecumenopolis? Too bad, all the industrial districts were autodeleted. Have fun with that 600-day base buildtime each! Also for some reason they also deleted every tech lab on my tech worlds they took?

Also the only things you so before the uprising that matters is how many planets you have robots on. There are no other precautions you can take.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

ConfusedUs posted:

Did you know you can form an alliance with the other DE? Defensive pacts, the works.

Yes, we're running over the poor bastard Xenophiles who are in between us right now.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's a lot of talk about cool features etc that could be added, but let's be honest you gotta walk before you can run. The governor AI is competitive with a monkey throwing darts at a chart, so any sort of 'personal agenda' its given will only manifest via text box instead of ingame actions.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

An important note here is that if/when Diplomacy mechanics are reworked to be brought to 2019 standards my opinion on the matter may change.
Out of curiosity, which games have the modern standards that you speak of? The most recent batch of 4X games that I've played (Stellaris Civ ES2) have all suffered from awful AI and player interactions with them have been limited as a result.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Like, let's say you have a planet that used to be another empire's homeworld. If various factors align a faction pops up with the demands of either grant independence or release as dependent. The faction also comes with a pile of appeasement options, such as:

* Full rights for the sector's original primary species
* Homeworld is in a sector governed by a member of the homeworld's primary species
* Homeworld is a sector or empire capital
* Empire is or was recently governed by a member of the original species

These are treated the same as faction demands, in that they increase happiness, except the happier a pop is the less likely they are to join this faction and the more likely they are to leave.

So with something like this you'd a few options:

Just give in and let them go, who needs the hassle. You lose the planet and a contiguous chunk of empire in return for the faction dissolving and a big happiness boost to any pops of that empire's primary species. They'll come crawling back when the devouring horde next door gets peckish anyway.

Make them happy enough that the faction withers away into irrelevance. Fulfil some appeasement demands, it's not the ideal sector placement and that governor isn't the one you would have chosen normally but it's a small price to pay to keep the dark matter flowing. Or bump everyone's living standards up a notch so they get distracted by their shiny new X-Boxes. Or notice that most of the angry people are Militaristic so you take a hard right into jingoism so they feel more at home.

Drop the boot and fill the troublemaker planets with soldiers and/or chemical bliss and/or purge them all, the ingrates.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 23, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't even really need an AI for it, something like event chains that affect areas of your space and necessitate deploying sections of your fleet or army to deal with would be interesting. Or areas that have natural threats like the asteroid hives and stuff, only they're a recurring thing.

Or more benefits for having fleet and army deployed, like Aurora lets you use the army as a labour force for major engineering projects, so deploying them in war (and getting them killed) would affect your production rates. Piracy could be interesting though the implementation needs work, the idea though is fairly sound I think. Settling a fleet on a starbase could give it antipiracy projection.

It would be nice, essentially, to have commitments for your fleets and armies outside of them hanging around waiting for an enemy empire to knock over.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
If I'm playing terminatorbots is there any reason not to upgrade all my planets to machine worlds?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cost v benefit - it may not make sense to try it on rural world's as you get wider

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Deuce posted:

If I'm playing terminatorbots is there any reason not to upgrade all my planets to machine worlds?

Nope

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Does terraforming still eat unique planetary features? That would be a good reason not to turn a planet into a machine world.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
It used to remove special deposits, IIRC. Stuff like numa’s breath and dark matter labs. Patch notes said they fixed it, but I haven’t tested it yet on the new patch.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Still been waiting on this game to finish cooking. Ancient Relics a good time to jump in?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Not that it, you know, matters at this point.

Terminator bros for life!

Gonna be twiddling our thumbs for decades before a crisis shows up.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Meridian posted:

Still been waiting on this game to finish cooking. Ancient Relics a good time to jump in?

Oh heck yeah.

The game feels pretty drat complete.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Deuce posted:

Not that it, you know, matters at this point.

Terminator bros for life!

Gonna be twiddling our thumbs for decades before a crisis shows up.
A century, assuming default settings. Buckle up.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Fun discovery: There's a excavation site outcome that gives your scientist a trait that massively increases excavation time. This excavation time gets added to the site so it actually applies to your entire nation!

98,200 days remaining on this site.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
God, that sounds hilarious. Picture please?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I've just progressed far enough to be able to contact The Shroud. Is it worth it or not?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

Oh heck yeah.

The game feels pretty drat complete.

Do you have any suggestions for a let's play or something I can listen to at work to get a general idea of how things go and what to prioritize? I found a fun paradox series where they had a bunch of YouTubers in a multiplayer game, but then ASpec started console controlling leviathans and crisis empires to gently caress over the good players and eventually kill everyone.

Pretty lame ending to that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

I've just progressed far enough to be able to contact The Shroud. Is it worth it or not?

Yes.

If you find a button that tells you not to press it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRW0RM4V0k

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 23, 2019

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

M_Sinistrari posted:

What sort of question is this! Slam that shiny button labeled 'More Power.'

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Saros posted:

What sort of question is this! Slam that shiny button labeled 'More Power.'
*gets "less power" six times in a row*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It occurs to me that the shroud interaction mechanic might work better now as a constructable Shroud Interface relic.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

It occurs to me that the shroud interaction mechanic might work better now as a constructable Shroud Interface relic.

I don't know, "Click button every 10 years for bonus" isn't massively engaging. I agree the random aspect of the Shroud is annoying, but being given a risk-free option for a small bonus amongst the riskier choices would go some way towards managing that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

I don't know, "Click button every 10 years for bonus" isn't massively engaging. I agree the random aspect of the Shroud is annoying, but being given a risk-free option for a small bonus amongst the riskier choices would go some way towards managing that.
I was thinking more like a good passive bonus, press button for an additional real good bonus, plus get dumped into the shroud for weird shenanigans that may turn out great or terrible.

Or don't make it a relic (I just like unifying mechanics) but do that anyway. Dump a bunch of energy or zro in to generate an avatar or a psychic ship or something, as a consequence you get drawn into the shroud for an encounter.

Or at the start your can only go diving into the shroud and you get the random stuff. But that's fine because you're building up psionic attunement so you can get to the point where you can start pressing buttons to generate psychic ships and stuff but each time you do you're off shrouding involuntarily.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I like that, as though the Shroud were a second map you had to psychically fistfight through.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Splicer posted:

Sector AI has always been weird, I'd prefer if the AI was building a million bunkers because the governor was a diehard militarist faction supporter or planning to secede.

Ah yes, Hoxhaists

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I know that mods sort of provide it but it'd be nice to get an official massive blast of new colours. I do wonder why right now the variety is quite small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Splicer posted:

Only if it can get stolen/be built by everyone. Psychic Gestalt Consciousnesses selling themselves to the Entity that randomly mutates species. Determined Exterminators slamming the EoC button so hard it breaks. AI making incredibly terrible deals as the xenophilic unionists sell their species to the Eater of Worlds.