Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

CJacobs posted:

You gotta be real impatient to consider a game's ~cinematic intro sequence~ to be the entirety of your first impression on it.

If the whole thing is wank, sure. I didn't even play the ~cinematic intro sequence~ to RDR2, just watched it on Youtube, and I didn't even bother watching more of the gameplay because the ~cinematic intro sequence~ was fuckin dull dogshit. I also put down Darksiders 2 before the end of the ~cinematic intro sequence~ because it made me play through it in the wrong resolution and aspect ratio as well as without subtitles, and that sequence is about 10 or 15 minutes long.

Also MGS5 was mostly unsatisfying anyway and they didn't finish the game so I quit when they started recycling missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Why are you playing an MGS game if you're not willing to sit through long segments of story before getting to the actual gameplay? What did you expect?

Odds are they saw videos where the game was good, and they expected it to start good, instead of start bad

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Mostly it's because I got it from Humble Monthly, also because I like stealth games.

And again, I will probably give it another try some day, but haven't bothered so far.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Replaying through DKC Tropical Freeze, and it just boggles my mind how stupidly bad the bosses in those two games are. These ones are a step up from the first Returns, in that they're mostly just boringly long and drawn out, rather than boringly long and drawn out while being annoyingly tough, but they almost feel worse because the rest of the second game is so drat good. I don't think I've ever seen a bigger gulf in quality between a game and its boss design. At least you can cheese them by stocking up on 30 hits worth of invincibility potions in the Switch version, it makes them more of a doable slog than a painful challenge.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I played and owned every Metal Gear game prior to V and the opening was so disastrously dull I quit like maybe 10 missions in and no longer care about Metal Gear or Hideo Kojima games at all.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
itt: the invididual attention spans of goons put together couldn't sit through the first ten minutes of Pulp Fiction

Shadow Warrior 2: I really hate having to dash everywhere rather than having a run button. Dashing makes sense and feels better to do when you have a melee weapon out, not so much for a gun or bow. Furthermore, I'm glad instanced loot drops are a thing, but for the love of poo poo if two people get a weapon drop at the same time, maybe let the third guy also get that weapon? The friend that my brother and I play with only got one or two weapons whereas we got about 6 weapons each in the play session. Also, three modification slots is not enough to fine-tune a weapon, at least separate upgrade slots by the type.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Video games have been around for like 60 years now and I still gotta sit through 20 minute to 16 hours of cutscenes before I'm actually playing the real game.

How're we still stuck listening to someone talk about stopping government deception when I could be hitting play and watch a volcano get struck by lightning before fighting off an army of Terminators?

spit on my clit posted:

itt: the invididual attention spans of goons put together couldn't sit through the first ten minutes of Pulp Fiction

I've tried watching Mad Max: Fury Road on 29 separate occasions and each time I tap out at the intro. Just get to the drat car chase already, gently caress.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Jul 23, 2019

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

I've tried watching Mad Max: Fury Road on 29 separate occasions and each time I tap out at the intro. Just get to the drat car chase already, gently caress.

the movie is a two hour car chase, what the gently caress

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

spit on my clit posted:

Shadow Warrior 2: I really hate having to dash everywhere rather than having a run button. Dashing makes sense and feels better to do when you have a melee weapon out, not so much for a gun or bow. Furthermore, I'm glad instanced loot drops are a thing, but for the love of poo poo if two people get a weapon drop at the same time, maybe let the third guy also get that weapon? The friend that my brother and I play with only got one or two weapons whereas we got about 6 weapons each in the play session. Also, three modification slots is not enough to fine-tune a weapon, at least separate upgrade slots by the type.

You have a run button, L3 or W twice for sprinting

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

It takes like 15 minutes to get to the action, I don't have time for that.

Thank god for portable consoles because I don't know how I'd ever get through a drive. Ooh, look at the road there're cars everywhere you need to be aware of. Whatever.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Samuringa posted:

You have a run button, L3 or W twice for sprinting

im so loving mad that i never tried this

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The only good Metal Gear game is MGR: Revengeance, you fools.

Edit: You have sword-fights with giant robots and almost nobody gets molested.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

The only good Metal Gear game is MGR: Revengeance, you fools.

Edit: You have sword-fights with giant robots and almost nobody gets molested.

Peace Walker owns on a gameplay sense

Missed opportunity to not let you Fulton bosses and use them on dispatch missions tho

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RareAcumen posted:

:psyduck:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's simultaneously a good/bad thing in MGS5 that there's a mission that opens with a fight against an elite sniper squad; but you're allowed to deploy in a tank in a mission and just drive right through the boss arena because they're not equipped with anti-materiel weapons.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

RareAcumen posted:

Missed opportunity to not let you Fulton bosses and use them on dispatch missions tho

Peace Walker is good because you fight singing robot tanks that do sweet Tony Hawk stunts

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Slowly going through Sekiro, find a cave with a headless ghost monster with slowing fog and manage to go through it without confronting it and get to an idol. Tonight, I decided to try using an item which from the description seems like it should counter ghostly enemies like it. I go there and approach the area from what was the exit, on a small ledge overlooking him, and all the spooky music kicks in as it notices me. I go to the menu and use the item. Before the animation even finishes, it materializes behind me and rips my head off, killing me instantly.

What the fuuuck?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Dr Christmas posted:

Slowly going through Sekiro, find a cave with a headless ghost monster with slowing fog and manage to go through it without confronting it and get to an idol. Tonight, I decided to try using an item which from the description seems like it should counter ghostly enemies like it. I go there and approach the area from what was the exit, on a small ledge overlooking him, and all the spooky music kicks in as it notices me. I go to the menu and use the item. Before the animation even finishes, it materializes behind me and rips my head off, killing me instantly.

What the fuuuck?

He stuck his hand up your butt and ripped out your soul.

Anyway don't worry too much about it, the rewards you get from fighting Headless aren't really worth it and you can avoid them all. When you feel confident towards endgame you can go beat all of them up.

There's one in the last zone of the game that's sort of 'guarding' a prayer bead but even then you can just try to swim past.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

RareAcumen posted:

I like Peace Walker on the whole, but the vehicle bosses are horrible and are the main reason I will never fully finish the game.

I really like the gameplay in MGSV. To me it's probably the best in the series in that regard, and I imagine it's what Kojima was going for all along (alongside the lady with ripped tights who shows you her butt all the time, etc.). Obviously it's unfinished though, and as a result the structure is all over the place. The intro, which may well have never been intended to be the intro in the first place, is long and increasingly dull, and the story barely picks up until you're finally told to make contact with Huey, which depending on how you play could be many hours into the game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The appearance of the Burning Man in the intro hospital sequence is legit the best part of MGSV, and I say that as a guy who likes MGSV.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

RareAcumen posted:

I see you are who the Call of Duty games are made for.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

Judge Tesla posted:

I see you are who the Call of Duty games are made for.

Since this is now three people taking my post in earnest, let me ammend my earlier claim from 29 attempts to 14,000,605 attempts to watch Mad Max: Fury Road.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Crowetron posted:

The appearance of the Burning Man in the intro hospital sequence is legit the best part of MGSV, and I say that as a guy who likes MGSV.

The APC driver who watches the Burning Man kill his whole squad after shrugging off like 8 full clips of assault rifle fire and a point-blank shot from the APCs cannon, and responds to it by saying “well gently caress this” and just loving gunning it directly into Burning Man is my favorite unnamed NPC in video game history.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Was playing Bloodborne the other day and was like what's this werewolf bullshit, where are the abominations and weapons and stuff. Not playing this game to punch poo poo. Threw the disc right in the trash.

RareAcumen posted:

Since this is now three people taking my post in earnest, let me ammend my earlier claim from 29 attempts to 14,000,605 attempts to watch Mad Max: Fury Road.

I am genuinely surprised anyone took that post seriously, drat.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A lot of people here salty that someone didn’t want to play a full, really bad segment of farthuffing before playing the actual game

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I thought the opening to MGSV was hilarious. Of course Kojima would make the player spend the first half hour of the game looking up the protagonist's rear end in a top hat. Capping it off with the burning man fight on horseback was awesome, too.

regarding MHW and the charge blade, the Barroth charge blade is a great support weapon. It does a lot of concentrated paralysis damage and can stun enemies two to four times per fight, giving everyone in the party a good chunk of extra time to go full on attack. Thinking of the charged attacks not as extra damage, but as a debuffer, helps.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

OutOfPrint posted:

I thought the opening to MGSV was hilarious. Of course Kojima would make the player spend the first half hour of the game looking up the protagonist's rear end in a top hat. Capping it off with the burning man fight on horseback was awesome, too.

The hospital scene is a really good sort of 'immersion therapy' opener for that reason. Sure, that stealth-game action is waiting for you, but first you've gotta mainline some straight Kojima for like half an hour, because otherwise that poo poo's gonna hit you from nowhere, and we need to know you can take it.

Unfortunately, that's definitely the most 'Kojima' the game gets, which is a shame.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I liked the hospital but I also liked most of the pointless little immersion crap that most people hated in RDR2 so it might take a specific kind of brain defect.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I quit Prey in the helicopter ride intro segment because it was too long and boring.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I've been bumbling my way through Shadow of the Tomb Raider because I guess I'm a sadist? I dig the chill exploration, collecting and exploring the at times dark as gently caress tombs. Even the stealthy murder sequences are OK, although one of the game's major flaws is the shooting mechanics. I recently made it to some dank rear end tomb buried in some mountain for the main story line. I'm having to deal with pretty straightforward physics puzzles but also intermittently attacked by some fast moving mutant natives. They pop up from monster closets and run fast. The shooting controls are molasses with no lock on and the spaces are so tight that I end up dodge rolling into walls. It seems like I always enjoy Tomb Raider games up until the point where the game forces combat areas in a game with no good cover mechanic, limited ammo, and zero lock on. This is all "get gud" I know but dammit I just want to sneak around and murder people with an Axe, not get into Gears of War lite fire fights with waves of enemies.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Seemed like a thing where games would front load with cinematic sequences so you'd use up your 2 hours auto-refund time. I guess MGSV misfired in this case.

I really enjoyed the game but I dropped it once they started patching in the microtransaction mechanics, like a hard cap on single player funds without FOBs, ridiculous research costs and items taking many days to research*.

*unless you fork out some mother base coins, that is

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RareAcumen posted:

:psyboom:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Was playing Bloodborne the other day and was like what's this werewolf bullshit, where are the abominations and weapons and stuff. Not playing this game to punch poo poo. Threw the disc right in the trash.

Tried playing XCOM 2 on PS4, I immediately get slammed by 40 minutes of developer cinematics and loading times. Not worth it, into the pile it goes. Same problem with DOOM. I'm here to rip and tear demons, who the hell decided this needed narration? Broke it over my knee and slashed the developers' tires with the shards.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

They’re doing a bit where they equate not wanting to spend 30 minutes doing something really lovely and tedious to maybe play a good game with having a movie set up its premise before having the action start :ssh:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Calaveron posted:

They’re doing a bit where they equate not wanting to spend 30 minutes doing something really lovely and tedious to maybe play a good game with having a movie set up its premise before having the action start :ssh:

I think they're mocking your lack of an attention span, actually.

Been playing some Dauntless recently, and I guess it wants to emulate Monster Hunter's 'hunt' loop, where you have to hunt the creature down before you fight it. Except in MH, there's a purpose to this: things to gather, smaller monsters to fight, areas to explore. In Dauntless, the environments suck and are boring, cookie cutter areas that don't differentiate between each other except for the palette. They could strip it out entirely and not lose anything from the game.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Jul 23, 2019

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
You know the hospital sequence is not really very long and at this point the complaining is getting pretty silly. MGS V is like the textbook definition of a game that's dragged down by its details - it has plenty of problems, and those problems are way, way more significant than... having an opening sequence. The hospital scene is not even as long as the opening cutscenes in most other MGS games.

If a half-hour intro sequence is a dealbreaker, then don't even try to play Horizon: Zero Dawn, any of the Witcher games, Sekiro, any Zelda game besides Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Galaxy... I mean, most games. MGS V is a game that consists of a pile of junk that barely fits together, at this point complaining so strongly about the fact that it has an intro is just dumb.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I think they're mocking your lack of an attention span, actually.

In the time it takes to finish Metal Gear Solid the Fifth's intro, I can:

Finish an entire episode of Seinfeld
Get to the good part of God Of War 4th from the House of Monica
Emulate Rocky's normal cardio training regimen
Till an acre of land
Build a boat, from scratch, from chopping the wood to mining the metal and building a furnace to melt it
Drive from one end of Asia to another
Train and become a qualified astronaut

Watch Avengers Endgame

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Calaveron posted:

:psypop:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
A lot of apologia for the loving terrible beginning to MGSV. Clearly it's a lack of attention span and not just that the hospital and first few missions just suck rear end, nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

A lot of apologia for the loving terrible beginning to MGSV. Clearly it's a lack of attention span and not just that the hospital and first few missions just suck rear end, nope.

I can understand getting annoyed with it if you're playing through the game repeatedly. As a 'cinematic' introduction to the game, it's fine, and putting a game down simply because a game doesn't thrust you into the world immediately is peculiar, especially in the current environment of AAA games that are out these days.

Edit: Current environment of excellent AAA games, I might add.