Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

"No society is more than 3 meals away from revolution"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Good lord. IMPEACH THIS MOTHERFUCKER ALREADY. More people are going to die. And Dem leadership are probably slapping each other on the back that they are more principled because they didn’t use the debt ceiling as a bargaining chip.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Good lord. IMPEACH THIS MOTHERFUCKER ALREADY. More people are going to die. And Dem leadership are probably slapping each other on the back that they are more principled because they didn’t use the debt ceiling as a bargaining chip.

poo poo, anyone who even utters the words "Maybe we should cut SNAP benefits" should be impeached. A lot of people are going to go hungry if that goes through.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/RepDebHaaland/status/1153331533480153089

GET EM REP HAALAND

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

friendbot2000 posted:

poo poo, anyone who even utters the words "Maybe we should cut SNAP benefits" should be impeached. A lot of people are going to go hungry if that goes through.

SNAP is one of those programs I just can't fathom people not supporting. Almost all the money goes into local businesses as direct payments for food, it doesn't cost much, and the benefit level is too low for people to really abuse individually. You're literally taking food away from poor people by cutting this benefit.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Guys Boris the Prime Minister now just so u no

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Great, now two Western nuclear powers have as leaders a New York-born product of wealth and privilege who are racist, sexist, Islamophobic bullies and philandering egotistical pathological liars with poo poo hair who used their instinctual media savvy and a total lack of shame to overcome their shallow and incurious intellects and become stars as game show hosts. How the gently caress does that happen twice?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/soledadobrien/status/1153467560681267200?s=19

PSA: Soledad is an idiot centrist pundit, in case anyone was confused and thought she was good.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Super cool that we decided to just up and gave Trump a clean budget and lifted the debt ceiling for 2 years until the middle of the first year of a Dem president so we now have zero recourse when this poo poo get pulled.

I mean it's not like we're going to start Impeachment or do any drat thing instead of writing a severe worded letters.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

One of the best results of the blue wave was the election of the first native American representatives, Sharice Davids and Deb Haaland.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

ewiley posted:

SNAP is one of those programs I just can't fathom people not supporting.

Lmao sure you can. Lobsters and ribeyes, BAM! Otherization.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

ewiley posted:

SNAP is one of those programs I just can't fathom people not supporting. Almost all the money goes into local businesses as direct payments for food, it doesn't cost much, and the benefit level is too low for people to really abuse individually. You're literally taking food away from poor people by cutting this benefit.
Poverty-shaming and causing misery is the intent.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What I hear from my idiot racist parents is people trade their EBT cards to drug dealers for drugs.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Great, now two Western nuclear powers have as leaders a New York-born product of wealth and privilege who are racist, sexist, Islamophobic bullies and philandering egotistical pathological liars with poo poo hair who used their instinctual media savvy and a total lack of shame to overcome their shallow and incurious intellects and become stars as game show hosts. How the gently caress does that happen twice?

It's one hell of a special relationship.

Also it sure is good that you all have an effective opposition that's totally not thrown away any leverage they might have had in exchange for pinky swears at best now that the nazis are gearing up to starve people.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Tsietisin posted:

"No society is more than 3 meals away from revolution"

Nope, most people will be happy to know those government-abusing black people are made to GET A JERB.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What I hear from my idiot racist parents is people trade their EBT cards to drug dealers for drugs.

When Bernie gets in you'll be able to order drugs on your EBT, straight from an app on your Obamaphone

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Typical Pubbie posted:

https://twitter.com/soledadobrien/status/1153467560681267200?s=19

PSA: Soledad is an idiot centrist pundit, in case anyone was confused and thought she was good.

Counterpoint: voting for Jill Stein is Dumb with a capital D and the fact that someone works for Bernie shouldn't change that.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Every time something like Snap comes into funding issues I’ll hear a lot of “well I saw a person use EBT to buy all the beer/lobster/steaks”, to the point where it usually ends up with wanting the person to have to resort to only being allowed expired food or something.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Count-down to some wise-cracker telling her "indians" aren't indigenous in 5... 4...

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Counterpoint: voting for Jill Stein is Dumb with a capital D and the fact that someone works for Bernie shouldn't change that.

Brie lives in New York.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1153641907781873664

He is mad about brown people again.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1153634372442107904

YOU PUT THEM IN THAT POSITION YOU PIECE OF poo poo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bobjr posted:

Every time something like Snap comes into funding issues I’ll hear a lot of “well I saw a person use EBT to buy all the beer/lobster/steaks”, to the point where it usually ends up with wanting the person to have to resort to only being allowed expired food or something.

Not to mention the unquestioned assumption that you can just look at *those people* and immediately determine:
- the value of each item in their shopping cart
- that they are an EBT recipient
- that they are using EBT benefits to purchase particular items in that cart

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Luckyellow posted:

Super cool that we decided to just up and gave Trump a clean budget and lifted the debt ceiling for 2 years until the middle of the first year of a Dem president so we now have zero recourse when this poo poo get pulled.

I mean it's not like we're going to start Impeachment or do any drat thing instead of writing a severe worded letters.

It's time to stop using 'we', mate

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Typical Pubbie posted:

Brie lives in New York.

And she tweeted that out, 4 days before the election, to tens of thousands of followers in not solid blue states. Sure, it likely made no difference but that doesn't make it not the dumbest loving thing. And this is likely to turn into a dumb derail just so you could dunk on Soledad for not being sufficiently leftist. Anything beyond this is likely to turn into primary chat, so I'm done with it.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

The US farmers I've talked to over the last months say they've all filled in the paperwork, but that none of these compensation funds have turned over a dime.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Junior G-man posted:

The US farmers I've talked to over the last months say they've all filled in the paperwork, but that none of these compensation funds have turned over a dime.

No. Surely that cant be true.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

bobjr posted:

Once the rule gets announced some conservative twitter grifter will absolutely find someone that the rule would exclude and who they can convince to use their full monthly allotment to buy lobster and steak (for an off camera cash payment). Fox will run it on a loop.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Junior G-man posted:

I can’t get over how funny (and infuriating) it is that Trump’s personal Modus operandi of handing out never-to-be-paid I.O.U.’s to his creditors and contractors is now actually being applied at the federal government level as well.

The Federal government of the USA has become Trump Inc. and everyone keeps falling for the same scam Trump’s been pulling since the loving 80’s. Jesus.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

ewiley posted:

You're literally taking food away from poor people by cutting this benefit.

That's the whole point. It's cruelty for the sake of cruelty. The only people I've ever met who are in favor of cutting or eliminating SNAP are people born into privilege, told their status was all their own hard work, and believe that the people receiving food assistance could just snap their fingers twice and tap their heels together then BAM! they're out of poverty - but that they're too lazy to even do that. They believe SNAP beneficiaries should be punished because they can't ever imagine what it must be like to have not been born into privilege. As they say, the cruelty is always the point when it comes to modern American conservatism. They'd legalize shooting homeless people on sight if they knew they had the votes for it.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

bobjr posted:

That story is always bullshit. What they usually see is the person handing the cashier coupons, but because the person doing it is a person of color they think it's food stamps. Call them out on it, and ask them how they know it was food stamps. "Well, they handed the cashier some slips of paper!". Then point out that EBT is a card that's virtually indistinguishable from a personal debit card, unless you look real close.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

White Supremacists Warn Idealistic Trump Some Compromise Will Be Necessary To Achieve Their Goals

quote:

Expressing concerns that the President’s constant attacks on racial minorities could end up hampering the progress that has been made, white supremacist leaders warned Donald Trump Friday that some compromise will be necessary to achieve their goals. “We appreciate that President Trump is an idealist who wants real change in this country, but if he wants to see a white ethno-state he needs to stop taking such extreme positions and build a coalition,” said Stormfront spokesperson Marshall Riley, who claimed Trump’s fiery rhetoric and refusal to find common ground threatens to alienate the moderates who white supremacists rely on to advance their agenda. “We appreciate the President’s passion and what he has done to enliven our supporters, but this just isn’t how things are done in this country. Sometimes you need incremental racist changes, things like dismantling the Voting Rights Act didn’t happen overnight. He means well, but Trump just hasn’t been in Washington long enough to understand its inner workings the way we do. When it comes to advancing white power, you can’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.” Riley added that if Trump truly wants to see the purity of the white race protected, he should step back and listen to his Republican colleagues who have been working towards that goal for decades.

https://politics.theonion.com/white-supremacists-warn-idealistic-trump-some-compromis-1836532710

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

White Supremacists Warn Idealistic Trump Some Compromise Will Be Necessary To Achieve Their Goals

https://politics.theonion.com/white-supremacists-warn-idealistic-trump-some-compromis-1836532710
Got all the way to "Sometimes you need incremental racist changes" without even a suspicion it was satire.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

tek79 posted:

That story is always bullshit. What they usually see is the person handing the cashier coupons, but because the person doing it is a person of color they think it's food stamps. Call them out on it, and ask them how they know it was food stamps. "Well, they handed the cashier some slips of paper!". Then point out that EBT is a card that's virtually indistinguishable from a personal debit card, unless you look real close.

Reagan one said that we needed to cut foodstamps because 'I personally saw a guy buy one orange and a bottle of vodka, use food stamps to pay for the orange and use the change to buy the vodka.' He was told, on the spot, that change from food stamps was capped at 99 cents and that it would be impossible for that to happen. Nope, still happened. Same thing with his story about the Welfare Queen (Tip O'Neill publicly called him out on it, too), about a 3-month premature birth (earliest on record is 4.5), and a few dozen other examples from that ghoul.

Conservatism has been, and will continue to be, an absolute scam to keep entrenched rich white interests in power. Carl Sagan wrote about it for fucks sake. There's evidence of it running back to Nixon. The playbook hasn't changed in decades and the language just barely keeps up. But it is easy as gently caress to get people to line up to screw themselves over if you pander to them, which is what they do. They poke and prod at the hate and fear and prey on idiots who would rather burn the world than let a shred of themselves be compromised. And they keep saying it, too, which is the hosed thing. Reagan's budget director admitted that tax cuts were essentially graft, publicly, and faced no consequence (The Education fo David Stockman has some great quotes on that), Trump flouts using foreign assets to rig elections, Cheney publicly accepted a $300 million bribe to go bomb Iraq, they are so loving blatant. But Mr. and Ms. Fuckwit from Bumblescum, Ohio have 'economic anxiety' about working near brown people so gently caress it, lets destroy the world for our privelege.

I need to take a break, everyone. Good night and good loving luck.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Has he ever been this mad for this long about anything, other than the Russia probe?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1153648770883706880?s=19

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1153648770883706880?s=20
https://twitter.com/kelseykeith/status/1153641307165876224?s=20
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1153653494987055104?s=20
https://twitter.com/steelworkers/status/1153419914994245634?s=20

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 23, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

trump's net approval in minnesota is -16 lol

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Has he ever been this mad for this long about anything, other than the Russia probe?

Didn't the crowd size tantrum last for weeks as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Aidan_702 posted:

Guys Boris the Prime Minister now just so u no

I can't even go into the Uk politics thread anymore because I find it so despair-inducing I can't face it.