Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Bust Rodd posted:

Just LoL if their big dramatic reveal is attempting to draw parallels between a dystopian Cyberpunk future of corporate sponsored fascism and historical fascism.

This is the sound of 30 writers scrambling to change the script after reading a similar post on reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The show has not really been great at critiquing capitalism and seems overdue for having a good rich person who will teach Dolores that they’re not all bad.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Donnerberg posted:

This is the sound of 30 writers scrambling to change the script after reading a similar post on reddit.

*thousand-hour-long French Chef kiss* :discourse:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

All things considered, this might not be a terrible direction to take the tv show Westworld.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That piece of art is more entertaining than 90% of S2

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Listen to me
What if the amoral murdering robots gets some power and acts just like a amoral murdering person?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The way I see it, is this is their chance to do their version of Caprica which was ganked when it was getting good so I'll allow it.

AI and robot slavery isn't exactly going away as an issue in our lives so it ought to be explored.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Darko posted:

The only thing he had a hand in that was universally reviled as bad is Terminator Salvation, and he just had early writing credits that were overwritten by Bale and other writers later. Some people don't like Dark Knight Rises, but others love it (the difference seems to be expectations brought into the movie), so that's, at worst, a mixed bag. Out of the rest, what garners a "lol" response?

Memento
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Interstellar
Person of Interest

PoI

e: the prestige was an incredibly hard book to adapt and is nolan's best movie however so it balances out

i think he's just kinda bad at tv other than ww s1

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Person of interest is about as good as you can get for a 24 per season episode CBS (?) procedural show. Network constraints have to come into play there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno I really enjoyed the first 2.5 seasons of PoI but honestly once Taraji Henson left I feel like the show superspiked itself up its own rear end and Jim Cavaziel takes a huge backseat to the new lady hacker character who I didn’t like as much, probably because ROOT wasn’t built up for 3 seasons to be the main character...

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The main guy in POI is the biggest fuckin mary sue in the history of television and I'm still kinda mad I let SA talk me into watching two seasons of that tripe

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The soft spoken robo-nerd who built a computer so advanced that he became like a god, or Jim Cavaziel just being a really good CIA spook?

I don’t really consider either of them Gary-Stu’s because they’re both portrayed as deeply flawed and socially inept. Gary Stu characters are universally good at everything and generally beloved, these guys are just really good at fighting and computers respectively but seem bad at normal stuff.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

"Mary Sue" is a unisex term, you don't have to do this.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

The main guy in POI is the biggest fuckin mary sue in the history of television and I'm still kinda mad I let SA talk me into watching two seasons of that tripe

Cavaziel ends up being not all that awesome.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Darko posted:

Cavaziel ends up being not all that awesome.

Fair enough then I guess, but in the first two seasons he's always the good guy who does the right thing and can beat up as many bad guys as the plot requires solo, to the point that it almost seems like self-parody sometimes. Also his whole softly-spoken but gruff hero with a dark past thing is cliche and boring as gently caress and he has next to no personality beyond that. But I guess that's what happens ~when you lose the one person who connects you to the world~ :rolleyes:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Being good at fighting is not what being a Mary Sue means. He was literally a homeless veteran wandering the streets, he has basically no social skills left.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
An overwhelming theme is him and Finch looking for a way to die helping people, because there is literally nothing they can do to make up for the mistakes of their past. And it's not angsty, it's a totally calm and resigned "We are damned for what we've done, best get on with doing better". Most of the characters that stick are around are similarly damaged, and some of them make John and Finch look mediocre. Sort of what you'd expect to get from a show about building God.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Being good at fighting is not what being a Mary Sue means. He was literally a homeless veteran wandering the streets, he has basically no social skills left.

Does it not mean someone who always does the right thing and easily overcomes any and all challenges? At its core it's about wish fulfillment and he certainly seems like the sort of character written for people (men) to project themselves onto, a gruff but suave badass who always saves the day

However you define Mary Sue and whether or not it applies to him he's still a loving boring protagonist and (at least for the first two seasons) it's still a boring predictable procedural

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 25, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wafflecopper posted:

Does it not mean someone who always does the right thing and easily overcomes any and all challenges? At its core it's about wish fulfillment and he certainly seems like the sort of character written for people (men) to project themselves onto, a gruff but suave badass who always saves the day

However you define Mary Sue and whether or not it applies to him he's still a loving boring protagonist and (at least for the first two seasons) it's still a boring predictable procedural

its literally a show about a guy who gets recruited by a recluse specifically because he seems to be able to handle himself in any situation

and they gently caress up constantly on the show, the clean wins are very few and far in between, did you even watch it?? lmao

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah you just seem bored by the premise of “CIA spook who is good at fighting” and one of the show’s biggest strengths was how good it was at showing “sometimes kicking everyone’s rear end just isn’t enough!” and honestly Jim’s character takes such a huge backseat in S3 that entire episodes go by without him doing or saying anything.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I think you just have to give the showrunners credit for turning a typical CBS boomer cop show into something much more interesting.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just think that the hype around the show here leaves out the fact that underneath the more interesting part, it's a typical CBS boomer cop show.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno, I would rather watch a microwave cook a frozen lasagna than watch a cop drama or a CSI, I just like the characters specific quirks and they get a dog and sometimes I close my eyes and imagine that I am petting the dog

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

I just think that the hype around the show here leaves out the fact that underneath the more interesting part, it's a typical CBS boomer cop show.

Yeah, I tried to convey that *hard* when the recommendations were going around. Just too many episodes and being forced to do A B plots that wrap up episode to episode is the biggest issue.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
POI got more interesting in later seasons as it delved into the backstory of Finch and the Machine and the destruction & tragedy that wrought. I loved Shaw and Root separately but the show got pretty ridiculous and fan-servicey once they got together. The last season went a bit over the top but ended in a satisfying and "logical" manner, I thought. Overall it was worth watching but had a lot of forgettable episodes.

Also,

Bust Rodd posted:

sometimes I close my eyes and imagine that I am petting the dog

extremely same

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Also the show's greatest moment:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Laterite posted:

POI got more interesting in later seasons as it delved into the backstory of Finch and the Machine and the destruction & tragedy that wrought. I loved Shaw and Root separately but the show got pretty ridiculous and fan-servicey once they got together. The last season went a bit over the top but ended in a satisfying and "logical" manner, I thought. Overall it was worth watching but had a lot of forgettable episodes.

That one episode from the perspective of the machine was pretty rad.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

That one episode from the perspective of the machine was pretty rad.

Yeah, that was a good episode of any television, although it kind of broke the time travel logic of the show to that point.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
https://www.etsy.com/listing/695705165/westworld-shogunworld-raj-map-travel-tv

Just bought these, thought you all might appreciate them.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did anyone bother playing the Westworld VR game? It's like a survival horror type thing. I have a VR headset so I was just curious if anyone else tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ppLYR-6C4

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

is it any good?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Reddit seemed to like it but most of the people posting actually liked season 2 so who knows.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Reddit seemed to like it but most of the people posting actually liked season 2 so who knows.

They're puffed with their own importance. When you know you forced rewrites you probably kinda lose perspective on the effect it had on the final product.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Some season 3 arg teaser poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRbCRZJTSOE

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

If it's not a red dead online dlc/crossover then they are loving up

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Hello thread! I apparently am perceptually behind pop-culture by 4 months so I finally watched the new Season 3 trailer.

I'm down for it, whatever, since my exceptions are much lower going into 3 than they were going into 2. Cyberpunk mixed with Maeve punching Nazis in Reichworld? Sure, why not.

With that said I didn't hate season 2, it had some good ideas behind it and two of the finest episodes on television that year ("Akane no Mai" and "Kiksuya").
It's just, as others said, none of those good ideas came together in a satisfying way and some of the character decisions were...uhhh...odd at best.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Hello thread! I apparently am perceptually behind pop-culture by 4 months so I finally watched the new Season 3 trailer.

I'm down for it, whatever, since my exceptions are much lower going into 3 than they were going into 2. Cyberpunk mixed with Maeve punching Nazis in Reichworld? Sure, why not.

With that said I didn't hate season 2, it had some good ideas behind it and two of the finest episodes on television that year ("Akane no Mai" and "Kiksuya").
It's just, as others said, none of those good ideas came together in a satisfying way and some of the character decisions were...uhhh...odd at best.

I feel like they burned through a ton of characters because they just didn't know what to do with them. Why did they even bring Elsie back for season 2?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I feel like they burned through a ton of characters because they just didn't know what to do with them. Why did they even bring Elsie back for season 2?

I've no idea, but a lot of TV shows fall into that trap. The story bends over backwards to include old characters, bloating both the cast and the plot. First examples to come to mind are The Americans and any show in the Arrowverse.

That's part of why the season 3 trailer looked interesting. Westworld has an excuse to keep bringing old faces back, but it looks like only the main characters return.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Blazing Ownager posted:

I felt the same way, then season 2 of Dollhouse showed up and immediately kicked off.. with a fake Echo wedding I couldn't give two shits about. It wasn't until the end of the season did it start to come back around to ideas, and it did so in a very rushed way. It's a shame.

I thought that was his Buffy days? I could be wrong.

Yes, I’m sure he stopped wanting to gently caress hot young women and did so well before getting caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

... I liked season 2.

Once I realized the creator just loving hated the fans and people that figured out season 1 early, and said gently caress this and read up enough to know the chronology.

It made my second go at watching it much smoother. It was like watching some dude vomit up a jigsaw puzzle.