Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

justsharkbait posted:

I watch movies like Rogue One or any of the new Star Wars movies/games, and I see Star Destroyers parking above cities invading. You see amazing looking space battles while also having ground battles going on. Even Return of the Jedi with the Endor space and ground battle. I would say I want a game just gives us that, but it needs to have more detail because then its just a shooter and we have plenty garbage ones of those.

I guess it is harder to put into words then I thought. But I would sacrifice the freedom to fly around a planet like Space Engineer style in favor of really in depth open space travel. Like Freelancer or the X game series except other ships could just as easily be players as NPCs. You can still land at predetermined spots on planets. But then it brings up the issue of how do players create cities/space station/empires. So a single player doing that is obviously not possible. But at the same time I would love to own a personal capital ship. The idea of parking my star destroyer and taking a tie interceptor or shuttle to a station/planet seems amazing. Or having players land at your capital ship while you warp into a battle and launch from there, or having everyone meet and jump to a planet you are invading and having to launch the ground invasion while also keeping tabs on the space battle so you don't lose your ship. It does seem like a lot but i still think it is possible.

Yeah but this is still kinda conceptual, not real gameplay. Warframe is a shooter that now has a capital ship you can fly up to, travel somewhere else, engage in space battles, and then land on a planet and go shoot. So maybe that's what you're looking for. :)

But trying to do all of that and also do everything EVE does is just too much to do in one game and not have insane balance issues that make most things irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i remember when swg was first getting press my friends and i were thinking up the characters we'd play and the ship we'd all hang out in and i envisioned us chilling in our ship as it went world to world and there weren't ships on release and i don't even know if there were ships that you could actually hang out and walk around in.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i remember when swg was first getting press my friends and i were thinking up the characters we'd play and the ship we'd all hang out in and i envisioned us chilling in our ship as it went world to world and there weren't ships on release and i don't even know if there were ships that you could actually hang out and walk around in.

there were eventually you could do just that, including like, shooting tie fighters from your luxury yacht you decorated with trophies and unique items from planets. they worked like player owned homes and thus had infinitely customizable interiors with fixed non-alterable places like turrets and stuff

i didn't enjoy the jump to lightspeed combat much but it was a super impressive feat of immersiveness

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

justsharkbait posted:

I have tried basically every MMO. Each of them has some specific good things they do but most are overall terrible. My dream MMO is an open world Star Wars universe where you are free to do whatever you want. Own ship, fly around land and visit where ever. Join the empire or rebellion/republic/etc. Or start a massive production of battle droids and take over the galaxy.

Seriously, though, I just want to live in the Star Wars universe and let it play it out how it plays out....

There's probably a Star Wars mod for X3 that gets close to that.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
My dream MMO is one where I can pay money to increase the size of my in-game penis and then walk around one shotting all the filthy plebs around with my massive money fueled dong.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

SweetBro posted:

My dream MMO is one where I can pay money to increase the size of my in-game penis and then walk around one shotting all the filthy plebs around with my massive money fueled dong.

So... Second Life?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I said come in! posted:

It just doesn't work well for an MMO. The huge environments and only being able to see what is directly in front of you makes for a frustrating gameplay experience, and when you are fighting mobs they typically take up the whole screen because scaling of enemies is weird in MMOs.

You can totally do it in ESO unless you're in a dungeon.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Kortel posted:

So... Second Life?

No, I think people can block me on that.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

SweetBro posted:

Replace penis with spaceship and you have Star Citizen. Replace it with [generic fantasy weapon] and you have one of many Korean/Chinese MMOs published in Russia. Maybe try to find some phallic ship or weapon.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

justsharkbait posted:

There is a game in development called Dual Universe that seems to be what I am looking for but I am just watching it develop ATM.

A bit late but, I've been in on the game since Pre-alpha and it's been sucking up a lot of my hours since and development been chugging a long nicely. Not sure how much I can say without breaking NDA though.
If anyone is already in hit me up, or if you are interested and I can try to answer things as far as I can.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 22, 2019

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Dwesa posted:

Replace penis with spaceship and you have Star Citizen. Replace it with [generic fantasy weapon] and you have one of many Korean/Chinese MMOs published in Russia. Maybe try to find some phallic ship or weapon.

Did I say my dream MMO included replacements? My e-peen -> virtual pubbie faces.

Also Star Citizen isn't real game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Here you go. A newish MMO (apparently) that comes out soon in the Western market https://www.astellia-mmo.com/home

It looks like everything we've all seen before. No I haven't played it and yes you can buy a hundred dollar founder pack. Knock yourself out.

*re-reads thread title*

Oh. Will there ever be a good MMO. Right. Misread that bit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why does every eastern mmo look the same.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Lazy Peon looked at that game a few months back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca-N-typ8M4

it looks pretty terrible

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ehud posted:

Lazy Peon looked at that game a few months back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca-N-typ8M4

it looks pretty terrible

That looks like the same interface in... uh... excuse me while I look this up.

Riders of Icarus! That was it. But with better graphics.

That game was thoroughly... a game that ticked the checklist of features but missing enthusiasm. About 5 years late to market.

Edit - I'm going to make a prediction: It won't set anyone on fire, it will launch and continue to exist in maintenance mode for years. You'll be able to play and with any luck might see 1-2 confused people levelling near you. Otherwise there will be 20-30 AFK whales in [city centre] dripping with cash shop cosmetics on idling mounts that are all on fire or glowing purple.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 23, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
DancingShade I un-ironically love your avatar.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

DancingShade I un-ironically love your avatar.

Red text or nothing IMO. I love it too!

Only way it could be better is if it caused epileptic fits by flashing loud colors.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Here you go. A newish MMO (apparently) that comes out soon in the Western market https://www.astellia-mmo.com/home

It looks like everything we've all seen before. No I haven't played it and yes you can buy a hundred dollar founder pack. Knock yourself out.

*re-reads thread title*

Oh. Will there ever be a good MMO. Right. Misread that bit.

I was coming here to talk about this game. Going to wait until official full launch. It looks cool! Promising to be a throw back to classic MMORPGs but with modern day quality of life features, so it should in theory be a chill MMO.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Are Korean MMOs ever chill?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
If chill = grind than yes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kaysette posted:

Are Korean MMOs ever chill?

They are more enjoyable if you treat them like a paper doll dress up game rather than a traditional MMO

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you get an endorphin fix from grinding and making numbers go up then I can see KMMOs being quite appealing.

Not saying anyone is wrong for doing so.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

why does every eastern mmo look the same.

no point in trying to improve on perfection

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I'm still playing Conquerors Blade which has thoroughly infiltrated and broke my brain. It's a F2P eastern MMO. There is something so satisfying about leveling up your own troops and it has enough flexibility with that you can (albeit limited) choose which tree to go down.

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer

Groogy posted:

A bit late but, I've been in on the game since Pre-alpha and it's been sucking up a lot of my hours since and development been chugging a long nicely. Not sure how much I can say without breaking NDA though.
If anyone is already in hit me up, or if you are interested and I can try to answer things as far as I can.

Its a lot of money to put down to get access when they won't really allow streaming or at least something substantial so people can see the progress. It is kind of concerning to, more so with its possible biggest competitor Starbase gearing up for some type of early access this year. Like think Empyrion: Galactic Survival and Space Engineers. SE won that one with double the users as E:GS. Both games require a lot of work so its hard to play both effectively.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Yeah definitely understand that, I had the money to burn so I did. Though I feel(though I am invested so take this with grain of salt) that the embargo on streams and NDA's is more case of that you only get one or two shot at publicity really in game development world. And I can tell you it was not flattering how things were when the servers first started up. If people would have been showing off the game at that point it would have been really bad. So it's not out of malice that it is there. There's still a lot of work for them to do but it wouldn't be such a disaster to show off the game now.

e: But if you or anyone else get it I am starting up a Cooperative for people to join if they are interested: https://community.dualthegame.com/organization/vogel-industries-cooperative/
Every other organization is a lot of very authoritative/top-down hierarchy nation building so I decided I'm gonna try and go completely against the grain.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 29, 2019

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
All I wanted was Dragon's Dogma Online without a half rear end translation patch and dealing with a Japanese VPN but that dream is good and dead now.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I like to think that Capcom killed DD Online because they are going to reboot the franchise in the not so distant future.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

ppl are paying to wait in line to get into wow classic so they can wait in line for quest mobs to spawn

there will never be a good MMO ever again

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The amount of energy focused on WoW Classic is an embarrassment to the hobby and an indictment against the industry at the same time.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Chomp8645 posted:

The amount of energy focused on WoW Classic is an embarrassment to the hobby and an indictment against the gamers as a whole at the same time.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

I feel like wow classic is only popular because it's a blizzard thing. So influencers flock to it because they think their audience cares about it. Their audience only cares about it because they want to play/troll their favorite influencers. I don't think anyone is actually enjoying WoW classic. Like every stream I popped into was basically some variation of "I am absolutely hating my time with this right now". This and gamer grill bathwater just goes to show that celebrity culture has reached peak stupidity in 2019.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Peak stupidity? that's the words of someone without any vision for a far greater height of stupidity.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

I'm an eternal optimist.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Will there ever been a team-based PvP MMO similar to DAOC (I never played during it's heyday/only experienced small amount but I know the reputation and history)? Is GW2 still considered the best PvP MMO?
I want to play an MMO again and probably will pick up FFXIV if I do, but I mainly am interested in fun PvP.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

emailed 18 minutes ago, eonwe, you know you want to

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SweetBro posted:

I feel like wow classic is only popular because it's a blizzard thing. So influencers flock to it because they think their audience cares about it. Their audience only cares about it because they want to play/troll their favorite influencers. I don't think anyone is actually enjoying WoW classic. Like every stream I popped into was basically some variation of "I am absolutely hating my time with this right now". This and gamer grill bathwater just goes to show that celebrity culture has reached peak stupidity in 2019.

To comments like this I will always say the same

Do you know about project 1999?

That isn't blizzard. Yes, wow classic is more popular because wow was the most popular mmo of all time, with the largest player base by an order of magnitude?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I would figure this of all threads can appreciate how modern wow is so different in fundamental design from classic wow, and how not ALL of those changes are preferable to some.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

There being an audience =/= something being popular on it's own merits. There's an audience for inserting glass rods into your urethra, which ironically enough is my go-to analogy of playing WoW classic in 2019, doesn't mean the prospect itself is interesting or mertiful for the majority of people. If you enjoy sounding/wow-classic, good for you. But WoW-classic is only popular BECAUSE of Blizz/Twitch, not because it's a good game. Mark my words that in less than a month or whenever the game release drought ends, everyone is going to forget about it and move onto the next thing. Servers will become ghost towns and merged together into a small handful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Zaphod42 posted:

I would figure this of all threads can appreciate how modern wow is so different in fundamental design from classic wow, and how not ALL of those changes are preferable to some.

Yeah wow was very much two games at release. The enduring popularity of classic shows that abandoning the part of the playerbase that wanted something closer to a living world than a themepark has left a wide niche open for new entrants.