Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Gamerofthegame posted:

if the fencer cqc weapons didn't have an animation I'd probably only use them

but him doing a little pirouette before dropping the hammer or having that second or two long shrugging off the recoil when giving someone the spear is way to much, especially in MP when the latter won't kill something

that said, personally I've also found that fencer bizarrely gets the least amount of armor off pick ups, at least not when playing them. Routinely for me it's something like fifteen air raider, who I'm playing, 9~ for ranger and diver then 4-5 for fencer. v bizarre
Fencer has the highest armor multiplier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Man, drones suck rear end.

*reaches mothership boss

BITCH

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Use the jackhammer, it has no animation locks.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

if the fencer cqc weapons didn't have an animation I'd probably only use them

but him doing a little pirouette before dropping the hammer or having that second or two long shrugging off the recoil when giving someone the spear is way to much, especially in MP when the latter won't kill something

that said, personally I've also found that fencer bizarrely gets the least amount of armor off pick ups, at least not when playing them. Routinely for me it's something like fifteen air raider, who I'm playing, 9~ for ranger and diver then 4-5 for fencer. v bizarre

Do what ^^^that guy^^^ said. Jackhammer rules (only problem is you don't get to slide into it at the end of a dash like with the spears, which is a bit of a boner killer tbh)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

Mmm. Mhmm.

I can't read this.

If you Google it there's a translated version in a Google doc. I'd link it but I'm on my phone, I'll link it after work if no one else does

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I got 4.1 during the sale but haven't played it yet since I'm working on my backlog, but everyone is raving about 5. I've never played an EDF before, is 5 to 4.1 what Monster Hunter World is to the rest of the series?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

This boss is a real piece of poo poo, do I just keep shooting it or what? because its undivided attention is ending me every time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jackhammer is a very simple weapon. you press the button and it continually pounds the poo poo out of anything you look at within 40 meters until you have to reload. no animation lock, no charge mechanic, just loads of quick, powerful hits at short range. you can use it to shear off armor and then legs on the light armor colonists in about 1 second flat. heavy armor colonists, you might need to do a few hit and run passes first.

the only downside of jackhammers in 5 compared to 4.1 is that you want to lop off limbs. in 4.1 you could just go to town on a hector's crotch and have a real nice time.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ninjewtsu posted:

Do what ^^^that guy^^^ said. Jackhammer rules (only problem is you don't get to slide into it at the end of a dash like with the spears, which is a bit of a boner killer tbh)

But then jackhammer is not a boner killer when you realize that you can dash around a corner and punch a giant alien in the dick six times a second with it and make them explode.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Motherfucker posted:

This boss is a real piece of poo poo, do I just keep shooting it or what? because its undivided attention is ending me every time.

The very final mission? Just keep shooting it, maybe blow off his limbs if the attacks that uses said limbs are pissing you off. Which class are you playing as?

Note that the final form's meteor shower can be shot out of the sky.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
but anyway, i finally got around to checking and regular force axes do not shoot out a neat horizontal line of death. it's just a slightly faster sword, like the description says. i guess that neat axe from the video might be from one of the dlc mission packs?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Reallycoolname posted:

The very final mission? Just keep shooting it, maybe blow off his limbs if the attacks that uses said limbs are pissing you off. Which class are you playing as?

Note that the final form's meteor shower can be shot out of the sky.

Air raider, I got him but I had to swap my poo poo around. My guns weren't hurting him enough to blow off limbs because I hadn't leveled them in ages

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
How do you handle a shitload of drones as Fencer in EDF 4.1 (like in Air Force) solo?

I'm only on Hard and this is surprisingly difficult - Hand missiles don't have enough lock ons or AoE; the big 6-lock vertical missiles have a 10-second reload, melee weapons don't reach high enough.

It seems like a shield and gatling is doing all right for tanky DPS, but I get my world rocked when the NPCs die and the drones start flanking behind.

Dual Galleon Light Cannons are good for spamming shots but not so much the dodge jukes; not sure what to pair in the offhand that's got a horizontal dash.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

40 Proof Listerine posted:

How do you handle a shitload of drones as Fencer in EDF 4.1 (like in Air Force) solo?

I'm only on Hard and this is surprisingly difficult - Hand missiles don't have enough lock ons or AoE; the big 6-lock vertical missiles have a 10-second reload, melee weapons don't reach high enough.

It seems like a shield and gatling is doing all right for tanky DPS, but I get my world rocked when the NPCs die and the drones start flanking behind.

Dual Galleon Light Cannons are good for spamming shots but not so much the dodge jukes; not sure what to pair in the offhand that's got a horizontal dash.

You either use the 6 lock missiles or you play another class, more or less. Use 2 of them in one set, alternating them so you have something to shoot while one is reloading. Put ion shield + your favorite melee weapon in your other set and learn to cancel the recovery animation of your dash with the deflection from your shield to go fast.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Songbearer posted:

I got 4.1 during the sale but haven't played it yet since I'm working on my backlog, but everyone is raving about 5. I've never played an EDF before, is 5 to 4.1 what Monster Hunter World is to the rest of the series?

Even though it’s not MHW level of improvements, 5 definitely has some nice quality-of-life changes to it. But I can’t imagine someone ever playing 4.1, not liking it and then liking 5.

So just try out the one you have first imo.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I love this game but I got that problem where I wanna play on lower difficulties because its objectively more fun but my mouse keeps trawling down to inferno... its like halo, it calls to me. Hard is the best difficulty, infero is just getting kicked in the nuts... yet I cannot NOT do it

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

ninjewtsu posted:

jackhammer and shotgun trip report: turbo mode activated

then an ant point blanked me and I died so that's definitely not going to work in inevitable inferno, but it'll be fun when I want to take a break from air raiding

now my main issue is finding another set, as playing MP with 3-4 players makes the slower recoil firing stuff squarely eh cuz it doesn't actually kill

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Leal posted:

Why the gently caress do I play wing diver.

Good news! High level wing diver gear lets you go just as fast(the dash button is loving insane) and you can also fly permanently(eventually core energy regen outpaces expenditure from spamming dash, meaning you regen just by dashing around in the air like a dickhead). Wing Diver weapons are generally better, too. You can't fix being made of spun glass and paper mache, though.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Songbearer posted:

5 has some quality of life improvements such as decent mouse controls in the menus, but once you are in a mission it's very similar to 4.1 other than a different story.
Try 4.1 first if you already have it :)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

A lot of 5's jokes land way better if you've played through 4.1 already too

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Just got to mission 41 and getting absolutely wrecked by green lasers. Any loadout recommendations? I'm playing ranger with an assault rifle and a sniper.

The final part of the mission where tons of enemies get dropped, wrecks me.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Just starting to break into inferno and already some of these new guns are rad as poo poo, the limpet detector is top notch

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Light Mortars or Hand Cannons.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Just gonna softball that one in there, huh? :stare:

Its the real deal, not diet barga, just straight barga. Takes the same credit as any vehical and just solo'd its way through an inferno mission (admittedly just against some gamma but I mean... Barga on demand, hell, war barga who actually swings at a decent clip)

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 23, 2019

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Grondoth posted:

It's uh... it can get insane.

:five:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M6IWiZ0AZ8

Level 100 on inferno thats pretty impressi- wait... whats that??

NANI?!

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I mean, he could have accidentally reduced his armour early in the game, and then never bothered to reset it to 'auto max'. I did that for the first 30 missions of the game, until I released why my dumb arse was the first to die.

Or, CheatEngine :shrug:

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

I'm telling you, Ranger's all about the creativity.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Paingod556 posted:

I mean, he could have accidentally reduced his armour early in the game, and then never bothered to reset it to 'auto max'. I did that for the first 30 missions of the game, until I released why my dumb arse was the first to die.

Or, CheatEngine :shrug:
The point of that setting is so that the insane people who like to play through inferno with starting armour don't have to purposefully dodge armour pickups.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Quicksilver6 posted:

Random thought: Serious Sam is in EDF in his games and Croteam knows how to make horde shooters. Croteam should make an EDF spinoff like IR.

Croteam had something going with the first two games and they decided to go in a completely opposite direction ever since. Serious Sam 3 at least had flashes of brilliance here and there.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Reallycoolname posted:

I'm telling you, Ranger's all about the creativity.

To defend our dearest Mother Earth we gladly will give up our lives :patriot:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The only change I would make to EDF 5 is that Wing Divers and Soldiers should really get a third weapon slot that is reserved for special weapons only.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd give air raiders a really good weapon type that only works underground. depth crawlers are merely okay.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

when you shout "EDF!!" all your guys shout "EDF! EDF!" too :allears:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'd give air raiders a really good weapon type that only works underground. depth crawlers are merely okay.

they used to have the satchel charges but they gave it to the ranger for some loving reason

those were dope

you could also throw them onto a wingdiver buddy and suicide bomb an entire cavern

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mp cave missions aren't too bad as air raider provided you are with non-air raiders with decent weapons. you just use your long neglected support weapons between crawlers. but solo? it's loving miserable.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Honestly just merge the ranger and the air raider its dumb that they keep stealing each others gear from game to game.

I want to play Air raider with a shotgun and ranger mobility and I want to play Ranger with access to air raider vehicles.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Radio Free Kobold posted:

when you shout "EDF!!" all your guys shout "EDF! EDF!" too :allears:

If you sing a line, they'll sing the next. Also works for a lot of the replies and screams which is particularly fun during missions with dozens of AI teammates. Waaaagh!!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't care if it is overpowered, in single player i keep edf troops invincible at all times. nothing's sadder than to finish a mission and have no one echo your edf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Mr Phillby posted:

Honestly just merge the ranger and the air raider its dumb that they keep stealing each others gear from game to game.

I want to play Air raider with a shotgun and ranger mobility and I want to play Ranger with access to air raider vehicles.

If you give the Air Raider some more shotguns and SMGs and such, you get the Tactical from EDF:IA.
While I'd love it, I'm pretty sure you'd get a lot of purists getting a bit out of sorts about it.