Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I just use Vallejo Flow Improver.

IS this the stuff for air brushes? Does it work when using brushes? $18.50 CAD for 200ml seems like a much better deal, assuming it's similar to Lahmian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Professor Shark posted:

IS this the stuff for air brushes? Does it work when using brushes? $18.50 CAD for 200ml seems like a much better deal, assuming it's similar to Lahmian.

I quietly took beer's advice on using flow improver with brush paints and it owns. Very smooth coverage and really improves full army painting as well as getting extra love onto characters. I used it on all my yellow space wolves pads for instance and it fixed some of my ongoing arguments with Yriel Yellow being kind of poo poo getting smooth coverage but of a great finished pigment.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Winsor & Newton flow improver is pretty nice for brushing as well. It seems to have more retarder to it so it makes blending really smooth.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Professor Shark posted:

Yup. Works great.

darnon posted:

Winsor & Newton flow improver is pretty nice for brushing as well. It seems to have more retarder to it so it makes blending really smooth.

It might be fun to run some kind of test and see which dries the quickest.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I have made some more progress on my desert seraphon:

I am about done with painting knights for now, they are a pain in the rear end with where the details are.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Up until now, I've been exclusively using one of those Citadel palette pads, and today I finally got a wet palette. I have a question about using it: What do you do with the thing when you're done painting? I'm talking about after you've finished your current project and might not be coming back to do any more painting for a while. Do you just put the lid on it and leave it to dry out on its own? Do you tip out any excess water and throw away the piece of paper that the paint is currently on? Do you try and clean it in some fashion? It surely can't be a good idea to just put the lid on and leave it, as mould will start to grow eventually, even though my palette claims to have a sponge that contains an anti-fungal agent.

At the moment I'm used to just letting the paint on my dry palette dry up and then just chuck it in with the rest of my painting supplies.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

R0ckfish posted:

I have made some more progress on my desert seraphon:

I am about done with painting knights for now, they are a pain in the rear end with where the details are.

You are really really good at both execution of painting and conceptualization of neat paint schemes.

Knights / bikers are a pain in the rear end but then you see something like this and wowzers

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

richyp posted:

More Lord of the Rings this time ""Theoden KING"

Puts me at the half-way point of the Battle of Pelennor Fields box I grabbed last week.

This rules. I just started working on some Uruk-hai, and plan to do Rohan next so I can start playing Battle Companies. Seeing how well the minis can come out is certainly inspiring, they are definitely more like a historical than anything else

More people should play LOTR, y'all.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
There's a flash sale for a local art supply store, I've only ever used Citadel brushes, I want to get a nicer one. What's a good manufacturer and size I should be getting from that manufacture?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This rules. I just started working on some Uruk-hai, and plan to do Rohan next so I can start playing Battle Companies. Seeing how well the minis can come out is certainly inspiring, they are definitely more like a historical than anything else

More people should play LOTR, y'all.

The models are fun to paint (if a little on the small side compared to the rest of GW's stuff). I'm going to try and clear the Pelennor Fields box which is a bargain to be honest, before getting some Ururk-Hai myself. This wont happen because I stupidly ordered the Warcry box the other day.

I'm at about 50% since I bought the box last week:

(I also added the Ringwraith guy for fun, and have some resin Rohan commanders for some variation in the painting backlog)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

There's a flash sale for a local art supply store, I've only ever used Citadel brushes, I want to get a nicer one. What's a good manufacturer and size I should be getting from that manufacture?

The gold standard is Windsor and Newton Series 7, and usually a number 2 round. Most Kolinsky sable brushes are going to be decent, though. Whichever you get, get the full-sized brush. The miniature ones don't hold enough paint.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

The gold standard is Windsor and Newton Series 7, and usually a number 2 round. Most Kolinsky sable brushes are going to be decent, though. Whichever you get, get the full-sized brush. The miniature ones don't hold enough paint.

Anything to do different than I've done with my synthetic brushes? For cleaning especially (I got the soap puck, just use that normally)?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

Before I go and buy more Lahmian (how did my bottle go so fast?!), is there an equivalent that I could buy instead?

I've tried making my own mixes and the various Vallejo mediums but I've found Lahmian flat out superior when it comes to making a mix for glazing. If you can afford it use it. Otherwise a combination of matte medium, dish soap, water and retarder will do a similar job. I personally haven't tried thinning with pure flow improver like the others are suggesting.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Anything to do different than I've done with my synthetic brushes? For cleaning especially (I got the soap puck, just use that normally)?

Sable brushes are far tougher than synthetics. Just use the brush soap and you're good to go.

A Goon recently recommended the Raphael 8404 and I have sadly retired by Windsor and Newtons for that brush. It really is superior.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Rosemary & Company is another recommendation. Bought a couple of their series 33 brushes a few years ago and they're still holding up pretty fine even if they're getting a bit long in the tooth by this point. Been meaning to buy new ones but until now I'm using a pair of brushes from some third party maker that I got as a christmas present and still holding their tips pretty well.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Cooked Auto posted:

Rosemary & Company is another recommendation. Bought a couple of their series 33 brushes a few years ago and they're still holding up pretty fine even if they're getting a bit long in the tooth by this point. Been meaning to buy new ones but until now I'm using a pair of brushes from some third party maker that I got as a christmas present and still holding their tips pretty well.

Rosemary and Co are who I always recommend. They're cheaper than Windsor and Newton, Kolinsky Sable and can be treated like poo poo (it's what I do best) while retaining a point. I used to use exclusively Series 7's but they're Q&A got real sloppy e.g. at their best they're better than R&Co series 33's at their worst they're GW Starter brush levels of shite where as with the Rosemary and Co brushes they've been consistently good for less money.

*** If anyone from Rosemary and Co is reading this post, i'll send you my PayPal. tia.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I was shocked how cheap my Rosemary brushes were even with shipping to the USA. All I will be using going forward.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Z the IVth posted:

Sable brushes are far tougher than synthetics. Just use the brush soap and you're good to go.

A Goon recently recommended the Raphael 8404 and I have sadly retired by Windsor and Newtons for that brush. It really is superior.

Quoting this cause I did the exact same. I use my Raphael 8404 Size 2 for just about everything, and it's amazing.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
WIP of Sepulchral Guard, really like these skellies they are fun to paint and cool models.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

grassy gnoll posted:

get the full-sized brush. The miniature ones don't hold enough paint.

People always say this, but I'm really loving the miniature brushes I recently got. I would never use it for large features, but it gives me great control for edges, trims and small details.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Duct Tape posted:

Quoting this cause I did the exact same. I use my Raphael 8404 Size 2 for just about everything, and it's amazing.

Something I hadn't realised until using the 8404s was the concept of the 'belly' of the brush. The Series 7s have very small bellies compared to the 8404s, the miniature series even more so. After using the 8404 for a bit, I've come to like the bigger belly as

1. It holds more paint and liquid, which means the brush tip doesn't tend to dry out as much. The brush also stays more damp so you can blend stuff more easily.
2. It holds the same amount of paint in less space, which means if you're loading the brush heavily for basecoating or washing (or Contrast-ing), much less ends up going into the ferrule and loving up the brush.

I'm currently using the Size 1 8404 and it's been good for everything short of dotting eyes. I've kept a Series 7 00 Miniature for that.

From the review that was posted, the Rosemary brushes have a fairly small belly similar to the Series 7s, but are much longer.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I'm just going to buy all of them gently caress it I'm worth it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Just finished this guy. Imperial Snowtrooper, from Star Wars: Legion.

I primed him with Pallid Wych Flesh, then tried to put the world’s thinnest coat of Celestra Grey over that for his body (outside of the armor). I feel pretty satisfied with it, just as a test model.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

I got a Raphael 8404 Size 1 about a week ago, it's so loving good compared to the random poo poo brushes I was using before. But I have already hosed it up once by getting paint in the ferral.

Luckily I saved it with some brush cleaner, but now I'm to scared to use it in case I gently caress it up again so I'm back to the poo poo brushes.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I can dogpile onto the Raphael 8404 praise, definitely my favorite brushes I've used. I hosed mine up with super glue accidentally and tried out a few from the local art supply store. They all kind of sucked so I ended up buying a size 0 and a size 2. Love them!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Why is the second one so cheap is 2/0 different or did this guy just find them on a dead body or something

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Why is the second one so cheap is 2/0 different or did this guy just find them on a dead body or something

The 2/0 is a 00, so smaller than the 0 at the bottom, if I remember my sizes right

EDIT

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

BoneMonkey posted:

I got a Raphael 8404 Size 1 about a week ago, it's so loving good compared to the random poo poo brushes I was using before. But I have already hosed it up once by getting paint in the ferral.

Luckily I saved it with some brush cleaner, but now I'm to scared to use it in case I gently caress it up again so I'm back to the poo poo brushes.

The best thing about natural hair brushes is the fact that they're made of keratin rather than some petroleum derivative. This means that in the worst case scenario you can wash them in heavy duty solvent (acetone, methylated spirits, turpentine, Tamiya extra thin glue, chloroform) to get all the dried paint out. If you try it with a synthetic brush there's a chance you will melt the bristles. I've done this a couple of times with my sable brushes when I've hosed them up beyond repair with the brush soap. It's not something I would recommend doing on a regular basis, but it really illustrates how much tougher a good Kolinsky sable brush is. They really do last.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Woah that is almost double the price of where I just ordered for a no2 8404. I am trying https://www.deserres.ca/, dunno how they are but its prob fine.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The cheaper one also might be a fake. Amazon is loaded with fakes for most item categories.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

That price isnt really that suspicious. At another goon's recommendation, I've purchased Raphael brushes from Jackson's

https://www.jacksonsart.com/en-us/brushes/brushes/brushes-for-watercolor/brand/raphael

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
I bought a shameful, creepy, titty model and am now painting it, instead of working on the dozens of other, more pressing projects I have.

Please witness my shame.

NSFW
https://i.imgur.com/wPTrU2Y.jpg
NSFW

In other, more uplifting, news; Scale 75 makes some great flesh tone paints, and I highly recommend them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

son I am disappoint

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mods??

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Please don't use IMG tags on NSFW images.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Airbrush experiment turned out pretty well. Some problems with graininess of the white/grey pigments, also my darkest tone wasn't dark enough and required a bunch of manual shading. Tried glazing some color in, but didn't really accomplish anything. Was weird combination of not tinting enough while also being too strong. Also tried using ink for the edge highlighting and black lining. Wow, it works a lot better. Still had several mistakes, but this is going to my goto method from now on.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Please don't use IMG tags on NSFW images.

Shouldn’t be slacking off at work reading forums :cop:

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

To steer back towards brush talk and away from weird titty models, I've had some Rosemary and Co brushes since Christmas... '17, iirc, and yeah, I've been beating them the gently caress up and they've been pretty good to me. At least, until recently. My one 0 brush that I've been using seems to be splitting and not holding a tip as well, and while I've tried to make sure paint hasn't dried in the ferrule, that's what I'm thinking happened. I don't really want to start using my other 0 at this point, at least not without trying to get the one back to working order, but I'm not sure how to go about removing paint from the ferrule. Any suggestions (outside of toss it and use the other)?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Aniodia posted:

To steer back towards brush talk and away from weird titty models, I've had some Rosemary and Co brushes since Christmas... '17, iirc, and yeah, I've been beating them the gently caress up and they've been pretty good to me. At least, until recently. My one 0 brush that I've been using seems to be splitting and not holding a tip as well, and while I've tried to make sure paint hasn't dried in the ferrule, that's what I'm thinking happened. I don't really want to start using my other 0 at this point, at least not without trying to get the one back to working order, but I'm not sure how to go about removing paint from the ferrule. Any suggestions (outside of toss it and use the other)?

brush soap + brush conditioner? If you need to go nuclear (not recommended unless it is really broke) dip it in boiling water for a 2 seconds before reshaping the bristles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Masters Brush Soap as often as needed.
Turpenoid Natural to get the gunk out