Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miz Kriss posted:

I didn't even get to talk about the vampire c-section. And by vampire c-section, I mean Edward literally chomps on Bella's belly and keeps biting until he reaches the uterus and the baby is born. Holy poo poo is the Twilight series terrible. Also, 50 Shades of Grey is literally Twilight fanfiction that the author changed the names of to avoid copyright infringement. The more you know :sparkles:

On another note, I had a suspicion/theory on what the pulsating mass was for a while and I was gonna mention it either in the thread or the video, but I forgot to bring it up. Looks like I was right :smith:

To me the weirdest element of Twilight is always going to be the fact that Donald J. Trump, washed up real estate pseudo-mogul, reality TV gameshow host, and soon to be President of the United States, took a protracted and obsessive interest in the off-screen relationship between Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart and continually ranted about it on Twitter from October of 2012 to April of 2013.

It's just the stupidest thing ever, and yet it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I blame Twilight as much as Harry Potter for the proliferation of truly awful young adult bullshit. It's also become a dumping ground for nutcases. I listen to a podcast that's more or less reading terrible posts from around the internet (well, mostly Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit, as that's where the vast majority of posts are these days) and the episode about young adult fiction may very well be their worst one. There's a movement in that community called "Own Voice" which is an unholy combination of essentialism and woke segregation.

Leroy Dennui posted:

"I'll show you what today's 'sexy' vampires can't do" was the tell for Black Fountain, right? Can the vampire couple in the library cast that at all?
Yes, it was the warm-up for Black Fountain, and nope, the Romancepires (or whatever they're called) can't use it. '50s-Style Vampire wasn't lying.

Kad posted:

You're the first person I've seen to suggest it originated from leukemia. :O I even searched leukemia in the jimmy discord and didn't see anyone mention it either. A while back we were discussing this and thought maybe the origin of the pulsating mass was lung cancer since that can turn into all kinds of stuff. Its really cool seeing everyones theories on this.
Jimmy is similar to other Earthbound-likes in that there's a lot of room for speculation and piecing things together, just not when it comes to the main point. LISA doesn't tell you specifically how the civilization ended and left only men, and OFF's ending is the subject of speculation to this day. Jimmy just puts it on the table.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 23, 2019

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Kad posted:

Buck is an incredible character and there is just... so much going on for him. I say Johnny is my favorite all the time but I don't think I can write rambling paragraphs about his character like I can with Buck. It's extremely hard to decide who is my favorite.

Anyway,

There's something about this that hurts me.

Very good post. Buck is amazing and his reaction to his brother's illness is so realistic. :(

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Kad posted:

Buck is an incredible character

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Buck is amazing

Since it wasn't a real update I just want to reiterate he fuzzy Buck hole is strong(unlike Buck).

Of course he gets controlled by the mass, just look at that despair and anger, how weak of a person he is both inside and out, the mass doesn't just eat away at you, no it infects your family too and Buck is the easiest target. He's definitely my vote for deepest character aside from Jimmy.

There is soooo much more game to go and we have soooo much character building done so far. Games might be... Good?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the Mass also takes Buck because, of all Jimmy's family (jonathon aside), he's the most openly hostile person towards Jimmy himself even if his anger comes from his own misguided good intentions and feelings of inadequacy, and Jimmy's also clearly in awe of his big brother's strength

if this kid's dream needed a villain, it's hard to think of a better candidate

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
So when do we get Buck back? :smith:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Fat and Useless posted:

There is soooo much more game to go and we have soooo much character building done so far. Games might be... Good?

Boy am I glad we cut where we did because we're about to hit THAT PART in the game that everybody gets mad about.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At the end of the day, Buck is a meathead teenage boy, and that's not a combination that's particularly good at expressing emotions. He's not unsympathetic towards Jimmy, he just has a hard time explaining himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he thought that was something that's "for babies."

Being as young as he is, Jimmy is equating Buck's aloof indifference with being on the side of the Pulsating Mass/his real-life cancer.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 23, 2019

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
There are a few scenes later that recontextualize a lot of what Buck tells/asks of Jimmy and it breaks my heart

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Open your eyes
Open your eyes

It's too early
To say goodnight :smith:

There's so many small tells that don't even seem significant early on, like Helga saying she'll buy Jimmy a new Jonathan Bear, but money is tight at the moment from paying medical bills. She also stumbles a bit about getting a new one for Christmas or (presumably) Jimmy's birthday, either because of the money situation or because Jimmy is unlikely to make it to his next birthday.

Just thinking now, Buck's insistence on Jimmy getting stronger ties in with the fighting language used for cancer-(fighting the battle, beating it, we will defeat cancer etc). There's a whole thing with "sadly they lost the battle" where the implication (at least with the phrasing) is that if the person had just fought a little harder they could have made it and it's a matter of will power, rather than plain lovely luck. Buck really does want Jimmy to get stronger to fight off the mass, he's just doing it the worst way possible.

Great playthrough, I'm for sure going to get this.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Miz Kriss posted:

I didn't even get to talk about the vampire c-section. And by vampire c-section, I mean Edward literally chomps on Bella's belly and keeps biting until he reaches the uterus and the baby is born. Holy poo poo is the Twilight series terrible. Also, 50 Shades of Grey is literally Twilight fanfiction that the author changed the names of to avoid copyright infringement. The more you know :sparkles:

On another note, I had a suspicion/theory on what the pulsating mass was for a while and I was gonna mention it either in the thread or the video, but I forgot to bring it up. Looks like I was right :smith:

Twilight is also a metaphor for Mormon values, and it's a whole lot of :psyboom: That it inspired/turned into 50 Shades of Gray is just the most delightful stupidity possible.

I'm an unabashed Kristen Stewart fan, and I just remembered all the poo poo Trump slung at her. What a dumb prick.

Buck's hostility towards Jimmy seems like the kind of misplaced hostility some people feel when they're mad at the disease you have, but can't process how to express that in front of you without making it sound like YOU'RE the target, not the disease. It's not abnormal, and having experienced it, it's making Buck's face/heel turn real visceral for me.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Oxxidation posted:

e: i should also add that at another point in andrew's memory dungeon, it sounds like he's suggesting to helga that they just have another child when they inevitably lose jimmy. smooth talking there, champ

Ugh, just saw this and that is absolutely a thing that happens with some families who've lost a child, especially a very young one (or experienced a miscarriage). Something like that happened with a friend of mine, and it tore his marriage apart in the end.

Sorry for the double post.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

quote:

Jimmy imagines himself floating above his own grave. Oh dear. It wasn't supposed to be like this. He holds up his hands and can see right through them. He thinks he should be bummed out, but, well, he's floating, and that's pretty cool.

He hovers forward using his mind. Yeah, this is awesome. A somber man wearing church clothes is walking towards him. Jimmy asks him for directions, but the man just walks right through him. "Hey!" Jimmy yells, but the man doesn't turn.

Jimmy gets so mad he swats the back of the man's head as hard as he can. The man turns around, confused, but doesn't see Jimmy. The man starts walking again, Jimmy thinks it would be pretty funny to pull the man's pants down. So he does.

The man's pants shoot down to his ankles mid-step, and the man falls right on his face. Oh, man. That was even funnier than Jimmy imagined. He cackles and flies through the night, knocking off people's hats, opening and closing doors at random, and grabbing keys when people set them down and moving them places they won't look.

This has all been hilarious, but he's feeling a little tired. So, he floats home, thinking of all the fun pranks he can play on Buck. When he gets there, it's so late that all of the lights are out. The only one that's still on is in the living room. Buck is probably staying up late watching horror movies. Jimmy thinks that maybe he can make the TV change channels and freak him out.

When he gets there, though, the TV isn't even on. It's just his mom. She's shuffling through a box filled with Jimmy's old stuff. There's his favourite shirt. There's the baseball cap he's been wearing recently. There's a picture of his family he coloured in class. His mom's finger traces along the border of a framed picture of Jimmy when he was just a baby. Her eyes are red and raw. Fat, wet tears plink on the glass. Jimmy floats up to his empty room. He doesn't feel like playing pranks anymore.

Just to be a jerk and make you feel things, here's the Jack O'Lantern empathy text.

Also I mucked with the OPs a bit.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 23, 2019

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I expect all future episodes will involve GrandmaParty and his guests weeping out loud, honking their noises on tissues etc

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah that one is especially brutal.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GrandmaParty posted:

Just to be a jerk and make you feel things, here's the Jack O'Lantern empathy text.

Jimmy Did His Best. :smith:

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

GrandmaParty posted:

Grumble Bear's also pretty rough with context

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Even the squawker gets in on it - in the empathy story he leaves the building through a sliding door and runs past several parked ambulances. There's not a whole lot of places with multiple ambulances parked right outside.

But hey, Jimmy did his best.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There's also hints that its specifically brain cancer. Seeing how theres hints that it changed Jimmy's behaviour.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There's also hints that its specifically brain cancer. Seeing how theres hints that it changed Jimmy's behaviour.

Plus, visually speaking, everything corrupted by the Pulsating Mass has exposed or excess brain matter. Even in the title screen of the game, shown in the OP the word "Pulsating Mass" is stylized in a way reminiscent of brain matter, and is connected to the word "Jimmy" by an unnatural outgrowth on the left, and on the right by swelling.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

People realize the true thrust of Jimmy earlier than others. I was talking about this game to one of my friends and I've made it a point to keep asking how far he's gotten in it. He told me he's been so busy that he hasn't had a chance to make it past the first half of the first area, but he could guess the twist just by knowing that this is a game about an eight-year-old boy's perspective.

He's also a parent and I realized this probably would gently caress me up even more if I had any kids.

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Open your eyes
Open your eyes

It's too early
To say goodnight :smith:
That's a song Helga has sang to Jimmy since he was a baby, as per her memory cave. But of course it's especially applicable now.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I expect all future episodes will involve GrandmaParty and his guests weeping out loud, honking their noises on tissues etc
There really is no turning back when you've figured it out. Given the heavy subject matter, it's also not easy to finish from an emotional standpoint. Long ago in the unpopular video game opinions thread in GBS, I said that Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is an excellent game that more people should play, and someone responded by saying that they can't move past the twist. Frankly, I can't blame anyone for thinking that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I guessed the twist really early but hoped I was wrong. It was as soon as I saw there was a status effect called 'terminal'. An eight year old shouldn't be thinking about terms like that unless it's come up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I guessed the twist really early but hoped I was wrong. It was as soon as I saw there was a status effect called 'terminal'. An eight year old shouldn't be thinking about terms like that unless it's come up.

Same. The very idea of fighting a "pulsating mass" is already pretty reminiscent of cancer, and then when the deformed queen bee said something about hating the blood in his body I was like "oh it's probably cancer that makes sense" and seeing the other clues unfold since then has been fascinating. Status effects like "terminal" and "immunosuppressed" are also pretty huge hints.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I was kind of hoping it wasn't going to be cancer, since between OFF and Rakuen I'd kind of seen enough of that particular story, but really what else was a pulsating mass going to be once you figured out it's a metaphore?. Still, this does strike a good balance between the former's abstract horror and the latter's bittersweet whimsy, and it's hit harder emotionally than either of them.

Night10194 posted:

When I played this game, I actually willfully ignored all the clues because I was desperately hoping it wasn't this. Even after that cutscene, I was like, welllll, it COULD be something else... the metaphor is too obvious, and the rest of the game can be pretty abstract... :saddowns: I didn't figure it out until the end of the game.

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 24, 2019

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Put me in the camp that originally thought it was a metaphor for puberty. Specifically I thought the entire game was an extended metaphor for Jimmy's experiences while growing up, up to about this point.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Guessing the twist early has not stopped me from following this LP with avid interest. The twist isn't the hook for me; the hook is Jimmy's journey through this dream, and his perspective on everything.

And it all makes me want to cry.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i figured out the pulsating mass' symbolism earlier than this but i was still on the fence as whether it represented jimmy's cancer or his grandmother's own disease, partly because i wasn't confident that the game could pull off the former. it wasn't until a screen later on that i had to concede that the sickness was all jimmy's

part of the reason it takes longer to sink in for some people is that the twist suffuses every aspect of the game but is still never stated outright, since the context is limited by jimmy's dream. none of the characters can fully and clearly explain what the pulsating mass is, because jimmy's still coming to grips with it himself

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Ebeezil's when it became clear to me; up until that point it just seems like Jimmy has a dark sense of humor but an 8 year old who's afraid he's not going to wake up when he goes to sleep?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Part of the reason I haven't been able to follow the LP beyond the first couple of episodes is that I have two young children and a friend of ours spoiled the ending for me. I just can't.

I'm sure this game covers this topic with as much dignity and grace as YIIK failed to bring to, well, anything, but I still don't have room for that in my soul right now.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Part of the reason I haven't been able to follow the LP beyond the first couple of episodes is that I have two young children and a friend of ours spoiled the ending for me. I just can't.

I'm sure this game covers this topic with as much dignity and grace as YIIK failed to bring to, well, anything, but I still don't have room for that in my soul right now.

Next lp is going to be Golf Story, it'll be cute.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

AltaBrown posted:

Guessing the twist early has not stopped me from following this LP with avid interest. The twist isn't the hook for me; the hook is Jimmy's journey through this dream, and his perspective on everything.

And it all makes me want to cry.
Don't hold back on the tears. I've played Mother 3, LISA, and OFF, and this is more emotionally intense than all of them. Frankly, "no crying until the end" would be less of a tagline for Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass, and more of a challenge.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Well, I feel better that I wasn't the only one itt who cried cause of this game. To be fair "sweet child with cancer" is a low hanging fruit when it comes to ejecting tears. But because this is a Good Game, it actually does a great job successfully balancing the different moods.

I actually really appreciate that this game is fairly direct about the premise and that it's not buried behind subtext. Like, everything is pretty much laid out on the table. Of course, I'm not referring to the symbolism wrt bosses, locations (especially nightmare zones) and the like, because there's plenty of that to think about. Instead of focusing on the premise (go beat up some cancer and win), we're instead given an inside glimpse of how a family might react and how each individual member goes about dealing with things.

It makes sense to me that Lars is actually the best equipped to deal with loss and deals with Jimmy's illness more maturely than the rest of his family.

also i was totally jimmy as a kid minus the whole dying shtick

Mod edit: big spoilers.

OP edit: i am dumbe

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 25, 2019

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Well, I feel better that I wasn't the only one itt who cried cause of this game. To be fair "sweet child with cancer" is a low hanging fruit when it comes to ejecting tears. But because this is a Good Game, it actually does a great job successfully balancing the different moods.

Might wanna spoiler this, chief, some people still want to figure it out themselves.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Next ep probably tomorrow night. We had tech difficulties with commentator and backup commentator and I had too much cheese at dinner so I'm all loagy.

I'll try again tomorrow.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
One thing that I don't think was mentioned yet: the first nightmare zone dealt with claustrophobia and tight spaces. That's definitely from MRI treatments.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
It's a great game, but I feel like it was never really hiding its premise. I don't think it suffers for it, just the opposite: Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is allowed to be very mature with a difficult subject because the audience is expected to know and understand and relate. If it was a sudden shocking twist, it'd still be sad but it wouldn't evoke that same sense of dread that comes with knowing a bad thing is going to happen and not being able to stop it.

It might be because I'm used to this kind of content, but I picked up on the premise right away. The title already gives you a good guess (there's only so many things a "pulsating mass" can be), but as soon as I was told that it was a dream world, that was enough. Any game that takes place in a dream has to eventually confront the question of why we are in a dream and not in the real world. Yume Nikki and others have more abstract explanations (the ending for Yume Nikki actually did come as a shock, as I didn't put together the subtle clues), whereas Jimmy was always straightforward: Jimmy is in his dream and the Pulsating Mass wants him dead. It's Jimmy's interpretation of his family and friends (real or imagined) that shapes the actual narrative.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Thanks for let's playing this game. It's been a very good and somber ride all the way through. Like others gonna have to steel myself for the best that's yet to come.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 25, 2019

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

GrandmaParty posted:

I'm throwing open the spoiler gates as to discussion on that point but nothing that happens on the future.

People should remember this. It's a great game and it's fun to talk about, and there's now a lot more to talk about, but let future stuff come in the future.

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

Hello, Jimmythread. I have something very important.

We must figure out Jimmy's favorite kind of ice cream. Why? Who cares. What's important is Jimmy gets his favorite ice cream because he is a good boy and all good boys deserve ice cream.

So tell me.. what is Jimmy's favorite flavor of ice cream? (1 flavor per person)

Jimmy's favorite ice cream flavors so far, courtesy of the JatPM discord, from bottom to top:
cookies and cream
birthday cake
cake batter (from coldstone)
peanut butter mackinac island fudge ice cream (i had to copypaste this one because what the hell)
neapolitan
rum raisin (thanks grandmaparty)
strawberry
mint chocolate chip
cherry vanilla
chocolate w/ brownie
orange cream (originally suggested as orange with toothpaste chunks. gross!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Kad posted:

Hello, Jimmythread. I have something very important.

We must figure out Jimmy's favorite kind of ice cream. Why? Who cares. What's important is Jimmy gets his favorite ice cream because he is a good boy and all good boys deserve ice cream.

So tell me.. what is Jimmy's favorite flavor of ice cream? (1 flavor per person)

Jimmy's favorite ice cream flavors so far, courtesy of the JatPM discord, from bottom to top:

rum raisin (thanks grandmaparty)

Jimmy's a strange boy but he's our strange boy. <3

This rules.