Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It's cool that people are coming out of the woodworks to defend what is obviously a rape joke, because there are plenty of other public executions that don't involve sexual abuse but they chose to use Gaddafi anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Countdown till Trump responds to this

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1153698053888643078

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
If America actually wanted Trump gone we'd all be protesting like PR is to remove their governor. But we aren't.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Darko posted:

Every city hates Trump. If you look at a voting map of 2016, you'll see that every single city in this country is blue in the city proper.

Even if you look at the Detroit Metro area, the voting is divided by suburbs with cities. Downtown Rochester, Plymouth, Northville, Birmingham, Royal Oak, etc. are all blue. Get out of that downtown, or the suburbs with no downtown like Troy, Bloomfield, pretty much all of Macomb County are red.

The big issue is really Detroit's population decline giving the UP and that vast swath of nothing in between Detroit/Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids way too much power. I really have no idea how Michigan is going to go in the next election; it depends entirely on nominee. But, yeah, the Detroit area is perfectly represented by Tlaib.

The only number that surprised me in that was Northville. I thought that was full of yuppies trying to escape to the woods

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Probably like half the people on food stamps are Trump voters, and they're gonna thank him for the cuts.

Coelacanthian
Dec 23, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

Tlaib actually perfectly represents Michigan because we have one of the largest populations of people from the Middle East in the United States and we loving hate Trump (at least the actually populated areas besides Grand Rapids)

Grand Rapids went overwhelmingly blue. Hilldawg got twice the votes. It's all the surrounding areas that are red as gently caress.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This sums up Republicans

https://mobile.twitter.com/EpochTimes/status/1153698504218415105

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i feel like this is the last big hill before the big crash of Conservative shithead goverments. there is probably their High points before they crash hard and fracture for a couple decades.

This is adorable

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

fool_of_sound posted:

It's cool that people are coming out of the woodworks to defend what is obviously a rape joke, because there are plenty of other public executions that don't involve sexual abuse but they chose to use Gaddafi anyway.

I was aware of Gaddafi's execution but not aware of the pre-execution sodomy- and I rather strongly suspect that's true of numerous other posters here. I think you're seeing a rape joke where none was intended and having a bit of a normal one over it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Prester Jane posted:

I was aware of Gaddafi's execution but not aware of the pre-execution sodomy- and I rather strongly suspect that's true of numerous other posters here. I think you're seeing a rape joke where none was intended and having a bit of a normal one over it.

I thought the sodomy was post execution.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

fool_of_sound posted:

Didn't seem like a joke tbh, much less a rape joke. Dude is legitimately at the point where he needs to gtfo for his own good

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

How Republicans look at people who use SNAP and other social service programs

"People on food assistance programs have all of the things that just come standard with any apartment, or things that you can literally get for almost free most of the time! Let 'em starve to death!"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump just called for a travel ban of anyone in Guatemala

https://mobile.twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1153701444454944768

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

fool_of_sound posted:

Honestly I did not even remember that happening until another poster mentioned it. If I were thinking of a public execution of a leader by a crowd Gaddafi would be the first person I thought of and I wouldn't even remember the other part of it. I can't off the top of my head any other leaders who went out that way... the Shah?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Honestly I did not even remember that happening until another poster mentioned it. If I were thinking of a public execution of a leader by a crowd Gaddafi would be the first person I thought of and I wouldn't even remember the other part of it. I can't off the top of my head any other leaders who went out that way... the Shah?

Mussolini would be my go-to. Maybe I'm overestimating how many people knew the specifics of Gaddafi's death, but I remember seeing a fair number of ghoulish people joking about it in the wake of his execution.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
The Ceausescus also

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Not a historian but isn't al-Gathafi a relatively recent and thus more topical reference

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

fool_of_sound posted:

Mussolini would be by go-to.

Gaddafi is much more recent though, having happened within the last few years. It makes perfect sense that on a forum that follows Middle East Politics as closely as this 9ne does- Gaddafi might be one of the go-to examples of a leader being executed by a mob.

In either case you have over a half dozen posters here telling you that you're basically the only person who saw a rape joke in that post. I think you might be overreacting a bit here.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
The term "rape" and/or "sodomy" does not quite convey what the crowd did to him. He got a bayonet up his rear end to the hilt WHILE ALIVE and I think either of those other terms does not quite convey the amount of sexual violence that occurred. He was quite literally raped with a knife.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 23, 2019

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I thought the sodomy was post execution.

Hello new thread title

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

There are some cool programs with SNAP. New York City has been doing this Pharm to Farm thing, funded through the USDA, where they encourage the local (not chain) pharmacies to "prescribe" fruits and vegetables to patients with high blood pressure. The patients have to have a prescription for a blood pressure medication at the pharmacy and have to spend the money ($30/month) at local farmers markets so it helps boost the revenues of both the local independent pharmacies and the farmers markets while providing patients access to fresh fruits and vegetables, part of the DASH diet. I'm actually trying to figure out if I can get this or a similar program going at the pharmacy I work for in New Hampshire. Here's more info if anyone's interested.

http://westviewnews.org/2019/05/pharma-to-farm-pharmacy-to-farm-prescriptions-program/

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Calibanibal posted:

Not a historian but isn't al-Gathafi a relatively recent and thus more topical reference

Only if you subscribe to the neo-post-colonial linear conception of time. :smuggo:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 23, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

How big could a crowd at a Toilet Paper USA event be, and is it just boomers with some very suspicious looking age college students?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fool_of_sound posted:

Mussolini would be my go-to. Maybe I'm overestimating how many people knew the specifics of Gaddafi's death, but I remember seeing a fair number of ghoulish people joking about it in the wake of his execution.

I thought I had heard at the time that he was raped with a bayonet or knife, to death. It was later confirmed that the gunshot was what actually killed him, but the rape was definitely publicised in the context of his death and I agree with you that Mussolini or Ceaucescu would be better comparisons if one didn’t want to include rape in the implications.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1153702342019211264

I wonder how many of them will be people of color.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Oh for sure Maxine Waters is one.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Anyone Jealous Cow pm'ed me that he didn't know the context so mea culpa on reading it that way.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

It's probably the presidential candidates.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

PT6A posted:

I think the restrictions on prepared food are also designed to push people into the conservative family structure that these assholes idealize. Yeah, if you have one person taking care of things like cooking, cleaning and grocery shopping without having to work, it's pretty wasteful to be eating prepared food on a regular basis. But if you have a single person or, worse, a single parent, trying to fit that poo poo in around work and other life obligations, there's simply no time for preparing proper meals all the time (and buying the groceries, and doing the washing up afterward). And, of course, it's increasingly impossible to provide for a family with just one wage-earner, even if that person is working two jobs.

No, its because they don’t want them eating prepared food which tends to be more expensive.

However a “hot food ban” its a stupid way to address the problem when people love potato chips.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Isn't the Epoch Times owned by a religious cult?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

President keeping an enemies list. Normal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=116&session=1&vote=00219

85-6. Why are democrats in the senate voting for ANY nominee from this criminal administration? There is literally NO REASON for it other than that they have no idea what they are dealing with and what era they are in.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

SirPablo posted:

President keeping an enemies list. Normal.

I mean in terms of Republican Presidents that is pretty par for the course

Nixon had a way longer one

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 23, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

spunkshui posted:

No, its because they don’t want them eating prepared food which tends to be more expensive.

However a “hot food ban” its a stupid way to address the problem when people love potato chips.

It's also not actually a problem.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1153693921542909953

~~~***WINK***~~~

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

fool_of_sound posted:

You are. He's the lovely dictator that got killed by a mob of his own citizens.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Holy poo poo, he did it so fast I thought it was an edit

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Trump is flashing white power signs as he says a woman of color’s name. He really is trying to get one of his nutcases to “take care of them”, isn’t he? :stare:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

mcmagic posted:

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=116&session=1&vote=00219

85-6. Why are democrats in the senate voting for ANY nominee from this criminal administration? There is literally NO REASON for it other than that they have no idea what they are dealing with and what era they are in.

yes but think of the political capital they're amassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I can already see the spin on how he didn't do that as WP signaling. "No you see AOC is similar to A-OK and he was using it as a mnemonic device because *farrrrrrt*"