Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I posted this a while ago but I don't think we ever figured it out. It was a platformer I think on either NES or Genesis (pretty sure it was Genesis). The main thing I can remember was, I'm not sure if this was in between stages or it was the games version of boss battles, but it was a rock paper scissors battle. . I seem to remember it had kind of a darker aesthetic. One of the bosses may have been a weird looking clown or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I posted this a while ago but I don't think we ever figured it out. It was a platformer I think on either NES or Genesis (pretty sure it was Genesis). The main thing I can remember was, I'm not sure if this was in between stages or it was the games version of boss battles, but it was a rock paper scissors battle. . I seem to remember it had kind of a darker aesthetic. One of the bosses may have been a weird looking clown or something?

Sounds like maybe an Alex Kidd game. Maybe "in the Enchanted Castle" if you're sure it was Genesis.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Sounds like maybe an Alex Kidd game. Maybe "in the Enchanted Castle" if you're sure it was Genesis.

Ah yea, someone suggested this before but it doesn't look right to me, though it sounds like it should be correct. It looks too cartoony. I remember one of the first levels looking like an underground dungeon or something.

I think there may have been another boss minigame with some kind of balloon inflating thing.

I could very well just be remembering wrong.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

This is pretty much my default belief now when I'm trying to remember video games from decades ago. Stuff just gets conflated until my memories of Pacman include robots and alien abduction.

There was a vertical scrolling shoot-em-up in the arcade in the late 80s where the gimmick was that you had "time bombs" that you could fire that wound the game back a few frames. You could collect a ton of them and if you were killed and reacted quickly enough you could hammer the bomb button enough to wind time back and replay that fraction of a second to avoid the bullet.
It seems like such a unique gimmick that I could search for it easily, but you can't really search for "time bomb" and I've never had any luck describing it usefully in a search.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Gromit posted:

This is pretty much my default belief now when I'm trying to remember video games from decades ago. Stuff just gets conflated until my memories of Pacman include robots and alien abduction.

There was a vertical scrolling shoot-em-up in the arcade in the late 80s where the gimmick was that you had "time bombs" that you could fire that wound the game back a few frames. You could collect a ton of them and if you were killed and reacted quickly enough you could hammer the bomb button enough to wind time back and replay that fraction of a second to avoid the bullet.
It seems like such a unique gimmick that I could search for it easily, but you can't really search for "time bomb" and I've never had any luck describing it usefully in a search.

Choutoki Meikyuu Legion, from a quick Google.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Ah yea, someone suggested this before but it doesn't look right to me, though it sounds like it should be correct. It looks too cartoony. I remember one of the first levels looking like an underground dungeon or something.

I think there may have been another boss minigame with some kind of balloon inflating thing.

I don't think this is it, but when I think of balloon inflation and underground, I think of Dig Dug.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

I don't think this is it, but when I think of balloon inflation and underground, I think of Dig Dug.

Haha, definitely not dig dug, but gently caress I just found it, it was Marvel Land. I've been trying to find this for years!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Choutoki Meikyuu Legion, from a quick Google.

Jesus Christ - gently caress you. I mean that sincerely, but in the nicest possible way. My Google-fu is weak and you have dominated me soundly.
Thanks!

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
Got recommended to ask in here, so I’ll just copy-paste a post I made:

- - -

I’ve got a bit of request here, because the most 90’s things I remember is also somehow borderline impossible to find for me.

Back sometime in the mid-to-late 90’s, I played a kid’s educational game, who’s title I’m probably remembering wrong. It was something along the lines of Professor Solve-it-All Adventures, an interactive game where a cool, funky Science Guy has a hotline where people call in to get help for their problems. Basically it was a pre-rendered 3D point-and-click type game which also taught basic science to kids.

That said, the game was ridiculously Nineties era - you knew the “Professor” was cool because he had a backwards cap and talked like a :airquote:cool guy:airquote: who had attitude and you could also hang out with! Each part of the game also had educational side where there was a bickering couple (the smart girl/wacky boy combo) who taught the science fundamentals and small scale DIY projects, with the final challenge of the game being a gigantic Rube Goldberg machine you had to figure out.

Better yet, the game’s menu had him rap the intro, which for some stupid reason I still remember part of it (“I’m Solve-it-all and that’s alright, I’ll solve your problems day or night, if you’re in trouble don’t have a clue, then Solve-it-all is the man for you!”).

I’m bringing this all up because I spent an unnecessary amount of time trying to find this goddamn game today and somehow it appears to be purged from the internet. If anyone can possibly find this stupid, stupid thing, you would have my deepest gratitudes!

- - -

I’ve honestly tried going through Moby Games and Old Games, but nothing seems to show up. At this point I’d fully appreciate if anyone can find this. Additional info I can remember is one of the puzzles being how to get a foundation (I think) working again, and another being getting a plane to fly.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

So I found what's almost definitely your game, but I don't know exactly what it's called in English - it looks like it's a pretty obscure Swedish game called Professor Salvadores, there's a video on YouTube with English subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZgMTJjI4Q0

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I decided to see if I could find the English version of that game, and I'm pretty sure this is it.

https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/video-game-the-adventures-of-professor-solvadore-air-water/gAFTvYQlNBPDPQ

It was surprisingly difficult to Google!

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
Oh my god, thank you!! I was borderline going nuts trying to find this, really appreciate this!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Trying to remember a game from like, 2004. It had a fairly JRPG art style, but the defining feature was that it was real-time combat, and each member of your party was like a completely different combat gameplay that you could switch to at any time. Like, your main character was a warrior and it was a 3rd person, action combos style, then there was a priest/mage type character that was actually FPS with a staff.

One of the first locations was a beachside town with the most compellingly chill music.

Edit: I wanna say that it was on original XBox and the name sounded kinda like Suikoden...?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

Trying to remember a game from like, 2004. It had a fairly JRPG art style, but the defining feature was that it was real-time combat, and each member of your party was like a completely different combat gameplay that you could switch to at any time. Like, your main character was a warrior and it was a 3rd person, action combos style, then there was a priest/mage type character that was actually FPS with a staff.

One of the first locations was a beachside town with the most compellingly chill music.

Edit: I wanna say that it was on original XBox and the name sounded kinda like Suikoden...?

Sudeki

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Holy poo poo that was fast. Thank you!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

cmndstab posted:

I decided to see if I could find the English version of that game, and I'm pretty sure this is it.

https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/video-game-the-adventures-of-professor-solvadore-air-water/gAFTvYQlNBPDPQ

It was surprisingly difficult to Google!

Schlinky posted:

Oh my god, thank you!! I was borderline going nuts trying to find this, really appreciate this!

Looks like you might be able to download it here but I hope you can read Hebrew lol.

http://www.old-games.org/share.php?game=16908

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey I'm trying to remember the name of a game I played a few years back. It was like an MMO version of Dynasty Warriors where you had a main character who led a squad around against another team and/or AI. I'm pretty sure it was based loosely on Chinese history. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Who What Now posted:

Hey I'm trying to remember the name of a game I played a few years back. It was like an MMO version of Dynasty Warriors where you had a main character who led a squad around against another team and/or AI. I'm pretty sure it was based loosely on Chinese history. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

There's quite a few of these but I want to say Age of Wushu?

Some others that IIRC got pretty popular outside their home country are Blade and Soul, Moonlight Blade, and Nine Dragons.

EDIT:

There's also of course Dynasty Warriors Online which I guess is probably it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 20, 2019

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Who What Now posted:

Conqueror's Blade probably isn't specifically what you were thinking of but is a game out right now that is almost exactly that. There was also a Dynasty Warriors Online that had that mechanic, so...

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Neo Rasa posted:

There's quite a few of these but I want to say Age of Wushu?

Some others that IIRC got pretty popular outside their home country are Blade and Soul, Moonlight Blade, and Nine Dragons.

EDIT:

There's also of course Dynasty Warriors Online which I guess is probably it.

It's wasn't a proper MMORPG like Blade and Soul. More like a weird Dynasty Warriors, MOBA-ish, mash-up thing?

Zaodai posted:

Conqueror's Blade probably isn't specifically what you were thinking of but is a game out right now that is almost exactly that. There was also a Dynasty Warriors Online that had that mechanic, so...

Yeah, this looks similar.

Edit: this won't be much more help, but it was popular enough to have it's own dedicated thread here in games.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I realized I was describing it wrong. It wasn't like a Dynasty Warriors MMO, with was like a Mount & Blade MMO

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Who What Now posted:

I realized I was describing it wrong. It wasn't like a Dynasty Warriors MMO, with was like a Mount & Blade MMO

That was probably Life is Feudal.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Yo some dude in a Discord was posting videos of a game. A roguelike post apocalyptic survival thingy with a graphical style kinda similar to Rimworld. At one point he'd stolen what looked like a schoolbus and set it on fire.

Anyone got any idea? It's apparently fairly new.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead with a graphics mod?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Learning game, most likely DOS CGA or EGA, featured a cast of dinosaurs(?) if not elsewhere then at least on the title screen and box art. Might have involved math? I have nothing else to give because I've never played it, only had it, installed it, and booted it up once before immediately quitting and forgetting to ever get back to it. I lost the floppy and the computer's hard drive died ages ago, so this is the last place I can look.

The only peculiar thing about it is that it had to have been bought at any point after Windows 95 came about. That doesn't mean that's when the game came out, but it must've been available in some form, right? Maybe that part doesn't matter, but maybe it does.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cheez posted:

Learning game, most likely DOS CGA or EGA, featured a cast of dinosaurs(?) if not elsewhere then at least on the title screen and box art. Might have involved math? I have nothing else to give because I've never played it, only had it, installed it, and booted it up once before immediately quitting and forgetting to ever get back to it. I lost the floppy and the computer's hard drive died ages ago, so this is the last place I can look.

The only peculiar thing about it is that it had to have been bought at any point after Windows 95 came about. That doesn't mean that's when the game came out, but it must've been available in some form, right? Maybe that part doesn't matter, but maybe it does.

I was going to suggest Math Rescue (or even Word Rescue), but as far as I can tell, they don't involve dinosaurs.

Anything here resemble it?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dos...2Z7oDA&prmd=inv

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was going to suggest Math Rescue (or even Word Rescue), but as far as I can tell, they don't involve dinosaurs.

The first link there is math blaster, which most likely isn't it since you play as a space man and aliens. But I used to own a whole bunch of similar games, targeted towards specific grade levels. One of them might be it, but the exact name escapes me.

I remember having the grade 6 one, you went back in time and SOLVED PUZZLES. I had a few more of those games, one where you were some cool detective girl, one of the puzzles was a crossword in a museum, followed by a towers of hanoi.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Renegret posted:

The first link there is math blaster, which most likely isn't it since you play as a space man and aliens. But I used to own a whole bunch of similar games, targeted towards specific grade levels. One of them might be it, but the exact name escapes me.

I remember having the grade 6 one, you went back in time and SOLVED PUZZLES. I had a few more of those games, one where you were some cool detective girl, one of the puzzles was a crossword in a museum, followed by a towers of hanoi.

This is the JumpStart series, the grade 5 one is the girl detective one with the crossword and Hanoi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrK4KojUoEM

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I remember playing a game on the SNES when I was a kid which I always remembered as being part of the Lemmings series. Having looked at the games in that series I think I'm probably wrong. Each level was a single screen where creatures would drop out of a hatch at the top of the screen and walk down, like Lemmings, but the players controlled larger creatures, like the blocker Lemmings, and could block the smaller creatures from falling off cliffs etc. I think the levels looked a bit like Mario Bros or Joust, with platforms rather than terrain.
I distinctly remember them splatting when they fell too far, and the message "Too Many [Creatures] Perished!" when you got a game over, as that's where I learned the word "perish".

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

dads_work_files posted:

I remember playing a game on the SNES when I was a kid which I always remembered as being part of the Lemmings series. Having looked at the games in that series I think I'm probably wrong. Each level was a single screen where creatures would drop out of a hatch at the top of the screen and walk down, like Lemmings, but the players controlled larger creatures, like the blocker Lemmings, and could block the smaller creatures from falling off cliffs etc. I think the levels looked a bit like Mario Bros or Joust, with platforms rather than terrain.
I distinctly remember them splatting when they fell too far, and the message "Too Many [Creatures] Perished!" when you got a game over, as that's where I learned the word "perish".

Maybe Troddlers?

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Panic Restaurant posted:

Maybe Troddlers?

I reckon that's it! Thank you!

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Who What Now posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/415660/Tiger_Knight/ You probably mean this game? It's a janky f2p chinese M&B clone, definitely fits what you're talking about.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Bringing back an old one that never got answered: late 80's apple or DOS educational game where you answer history/science questions and each correct one would slowly inflate your hot air balloon and move it a little it.

Bobsedgws
Jun 12, 2009
College Slice
I've got one - actually fairly recent, but I haven't been able to find it for the life of me using google. It's similar to Dwarf Fortress except you have orcs and goblins - I remember one of the main resources was pig iron which came from some kind of bog. ASCII Graphics as well I think.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bobsedgws posted:

I've got one - actually fairly recent, but I haven't been able to find it for the life of me using google. It's similar to Dwarf Fortress except you have orcs and goblins - I remember one of the main resources was pig iron which came from some kind of bog. ASCII Graphics as well I think.

Goblin Camp

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's definitely not going to be anything from google image search, because I've already tried multiple ways and never came up with anything. I wish I could remember more about the appearance of the characters, but the most I can do is take a wild guess that the title screen would have had a black background. I seem to remember that the box art characters and the title screen characters used the same art as a base, but that's an extremely unhelpful clue to anyone that doesn't already have the game and box.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/dino-trilogy?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mischievous Mink posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/415660/Tiger_Knight/ You probably mean this game? It's a janky f2p chinese M&B clone, definitely fits what you're talking about.

Yeah, that's it!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
There was a(n early-access?) space colony simulator from like 2-3 years ago that had its own thread, but I can’t find it now. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t Oxygen Not Included, as I remember it being an overhead view, and I really dislike ONI’s art style. I think there was a combat element, like defending your base from raiders or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Lazyhound posted:

There was a(n early-access?) space colony simulator from like 2-3 years ago that had its own thread, but I can’t find it now. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t Oxygen Not Included, as I remember it being an overhead view, and I really dislike ONI’s art style. I think there was a combat element, like defending your base from raiders or something.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/246090/Spacebase_DF9/ Maybe?