Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Even other mgs games have better beginnings, with a cutscene followed by regular, non gimped gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Morpheus posted:

As a 'cinematic' introduction to the game, it's fine

Well, that's setting an incredibly low bar.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Calaveron posted:

Even other mgs games have better beginnings, with a cutscene followed by regular, non gimped gameplay.

If you think MGS 4 has a better beginning than MGS V, I don't know what to tell you.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Casey Finnigan posted:

If you think MGS 4 has a better beginning than MGS V, I don't know what to tell you.

I might be misremembering but isn’t it a short cutscene followed by actual gameplay where you get to play around with the octocamo and the teeny metal gear?

Or do you mean the fake tv shows that play while the game is being installed?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Casey Finnigan posted:

I think I can agree with you on that one, although it is somewhat close for me. MGS4 throws you into the game's central action a bit quicker*, but on the other hand it lacks the world-building it needs as a game set ten minutes into the future, and aside from the "playing both sides" mechanic I find the entire first act kind of dry to tell the truth (definitely setting a theme in the process!). MGSV's is explosive and more colourful, it's just that to me it kind of keeps on moving without really going anywhere. As a fan of the series I think I trained myself to sit through minutes of pointless/weird dialogue, rather than scripted action set pieces that keep taking the control away from you. It also doesn't so much provide one with intrigue so much as it leaves you scratching your head and shrugging your shoulders. As said, I found it fairly gripping the first time, but if someone doesn't like it to begin with I think it holds up even worse under repeated playthroughs.

* This is not counting the first of several interminable briefing cutscenes that they tried to jazz up by including some interactive elements, only to fail due to how plodding and stupid they were overall.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I got Mass Effect 2 and its like 30 minutes of setting up narration and trying to decide the choices I made last game and like what the gently caress I just want to gently caress the blue alien I'd get a refund if Origin didn't give it to me for free.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Christ, I may have caused the thread to derail into insufferable.

Octopath Traveler: The best loot is in the purple chests. Only the thief can open them and if he's not in your party, then tough. They could have gotten around this by making Lockpicks a consumable item you could use.

There's no checklist of any kind in a game with so much stuff in it. Bloodstained had the courtesy to have one, as should any game about collecting stuff.

The boss for H'aanit's story is so insanely hard compared to the other seven. This guy can blind and stun characters, which is blockable, and use a full-party sweep-attack twice, which isn't blockable. He's probably harder than all the bonus bosses.

I was never not tempted to skip every cutscene. They're all so slow-paced. Seeing a character pause with an "..." in their speech-bubble just makes me angry.

Still, the music is kickass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp2wXRjUOdc

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Jul 23, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Obviously things are weird because it got sectioned off into its own little paid demo product, but isn't Ground Zeroes functionally the real introduction of MGS5? If you boot that up first you get to actually play some MGS before diving headfirst into all the poo poo that goes down at the beginning of 5 proper.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Leal posted:

I got Mass Effect 2 and its like 30 minutes of setting up narration and trying to decide the choices I made last game and like what the gently caress I just want to gently caress the blue alien I'd get a refund if Origin didn't give it to me for free.

You have the lovely comic DLC installed (I guess that comes free now?), you can probably uninstall that and get straight into the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I pressed start and entered something called World 1-1. I tried going left and it wouldn't let me. loving Nintendo ripped me off with a platformer with only one screen so I ripped it out of my NES and threw it into a cursed swamp.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

1990s doom started me looking at a menu screen gently caress you b itch I'mnot here to menu screen so I smashed my computer into pieces no larger than a grape

sebmojo has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Jul 23, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sebmojo posted:

1990s doom started me looking at a menu screen gently caress you b itch I'mnot here to menu screen so I smashed my computer into pieces no larger than a grape

u idiot u smash a PUMPKIN in2 small piles of putrid debris

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The controls in the outer wilds are difficult for me to get a grasp on and I overshoot and can’t get to where I want to go.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I pressed start and entered something called World 1-1. I tried going left and it wouldn't let me. loving Nintendo ripped me off with a platformer with only one screen so I ripped it out of my NES and threw it into a cursed swamp.

I bought Nier Automata based largely on just hype, I admit, but when I started the game for some reason it was a top-down shooter? I must've got the wrong disk so I took it out and went back to the store for a refund.

But then when I got home my keys didn't fit the lock so I burned the house down.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Obviously things are weird because it got sectioned off into its own little paid demo product, but isn't Ground Zeroes functionally the real introduction of MGS5? If you boot that up first you get to actually play some MGS before diving headfirst into all the poo poo that goes down at the beginning of 5 proper.
I always thought so too but for example Chip Cheezum suggests it as an early game interlude in his LP which seems to make a lot of sense.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Wow people really don’t like people criticizing metal gear

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
An older gripe but I wanted to play Unreal Tournament but it took ages to load

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IK39OJ7QOw

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The hospital sequence in MGSV is fine and cool, but the fact that you have to do the whole thing again later with no alterations sucks big ones.

Anyway, the new Marvel Ultimate Alliance came out and it's really fun, but every projectile based enemy can gently caress right off.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The new Marvel Alliance has a member of the Inhumans on the roster, but nobody actually likes the Inhumans. If you do then your name is Ike Perlmutter. Surely they could have put in Squirrel-Girl instead?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Vic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IK39OJ7QOw

Once started up it took ages to select a gamemode if you had a lot of mods and mutators installed. I think my install needed 4 minutes at one point. It's one of the reasons I loved the Infiltration mod, because it used a separate launcher.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The new Marvel Alliance has a member of the Inhumans on the roster, but nobody actually likes the Inhumans. If you do then your name is Ike Perlmutter. Surely they could have put in Squirrel-Girl instead?

Blackbolt and lockjaw own :colbert:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Vic posted:

I quit Prey in the helicopter ride intro segment because it was too long and boring.
Oh man you reminded me how rad that tune was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRdx2tbUFI

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I wish I could have liked Prey but the game just didn't feel like anything special. Combat felt completely unsatisfying with either guns or powers. The zero gravity sections felt uncomfortable to control. And the mimics weren't scary at all, they weren't even much of a surprise, they were just little enemies that were easy to kill and did hardly any damage. I know the game got a lot of hype but there was just nothing in it that I think was worth playing. I got really far in, too, only had a little bit remaining until the ending - I dropped it before making the "self-destruct the station/kill only the aliens" choice. Spent the whole time waiting for something impressive to happen. I looked up the ending and I would not have been satisfied with it if I had actually finished the game.

I legit think the 2006 Prey was a more fun game with a more interesting setting

Casey Finnigan has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Jul 23, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

RareAcumen posted:

Tried playing XCOM 2 on PS4, I immediately get slammed by 40 minutes of developer cinematics and loading times. Not worth it, into the pile it goes. Same problem with DOOM. I'm here to rip and tear demons, who the hell decided this needed narration? Broke it over my knee and slashed the developers' tires with the shards.

You should try Red Dead Redemption 2. Seems right up your alley.

Also, I think you're trolling but just lol at "I couldn't watch Fury Road because it was too boring".

I didn't care much for Avengers: End Game because there weren't enough superheroes in it.

Casey Finnigan posted:

I wish I could have liked Prey but the game just didn't feel like anything special. Combat felt completely unsatisfying with either guns or powers. The zero gravity sections felt uncomfortable to control. And the mimics weren't scary at all, they weren't even much of a surprise, they were just little enemies that were easy to kill and did hardly any damage. I know the game got a lot of hype but there was just nothing in it that I think was worth playing. I got really far in, too, only had a little bit remaining until the ending - I dropped it before making the "self-destruct the station/kill only the aliens" choice. Spent the whole time waiting for something impressive to happen

Same. I liked it for a while but never finished it and got bored and annoyed it with it after like 6 hours.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Disney/Marvel has final say in everything. Just see Marvel vs Capcom, or when they tried to scrub the Fantastic Four from Marvel Heroes.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

oldpainless posted:

The controls in the outer wilds are difficult for me to get a grasp on and I overshoot and can’t get to where I want to go.

launching yourself into the sun is a rite of passage

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Vic posted:

I tried playing Unreal Tournament not long ago but the only people playing anymore are so high above my skill level that there's no point even starting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

You should try Red Dead Redemption 2. Seems right up your alley.

I tried but I made the mistake of going to the barbershop. Now I'm trapped in an endless shaving sequence. It's been going on for 4 weeks now with no end in sight.

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, I think you're trolling but just lol at "I couldn't watch Fury Road because it was too boring".

I didn't care much for Avengers: End Game because there weren't enough superheroes in it.

This is me, 11 seconds into a movie when no one's head has been blown off yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-emlb2_jdI&t=27s

And I can understand that. The biggest issue with the MCU that isn't the coloring of all their scenes is that it being live action means you can't get any of the cool scenes like someone punching through a mountain or using a train as a baseball bat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MGSV Opening is abysmal and knowing Id have to do it again was a huge deterrent to continuing to play the game, in addition to the game being really poo poo at first and improving to "ok" as a reward.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
SPV3 is a fanmade revamp of the original Halo: Combat Evolved campaign and was made by a bunch of brain genious armchair game designers who, in a bizarre twist of fate, actually had the technical skillset required to realize their utterly dogshit vision of "What if Halo but it loving sucks."

It is a victim of kitchen sink design and there doesn't feel like there was much thought put into anything regarding balance, challenge, or any of that apparently boring bullshit and instead they focused on cramming in as much crap as they could whether or not it fit into the combat encounters, pacing, the established setting, or loving anything at all.

Forrrrrr example.

The original CE did not have Brutes. Of course, Bungie hadn't come up with the Brutes and their weaponry yet. So it's safe to say the original CE's weapon sandbox, combat encounter design, and all that poo poo was not really designed to work with or around Brutes and their weaponry. Did the SPV3 devs keep this in mind? No! In fact, they shoved loving Brutes and Brute shots in almost every god drat fight! And they made the Brute shot even stronger than it was in Halo 3. When you've got Brute shot explosions, grenades, needlers, skimishers with hit scan sniper weapons all pummeling you at once, guess how fun it gets. Trick question, it is exactly zero fun and fucks up the weapons sandbox because WHY would I want to take any other weapon except for the Brute shot at that point??

The difficulties are all screwed up. It goes Normal, Hard, Heroic, Legendary, and Noble. Cool, we definitely needed 4 variations on butt fuckingly hard, and normal is already an absolute slog to get through. Enemies are super aggressive with lots of shielding and the hit boxes are hosed. Certain Marine weaponry doesn't seem to work right. The DMR in Halo Reach was definitely a work horse of a weapon if you were patient and accurate. Here it's absolutely worthless. Can't even kill a GRUNT with a single headshot. Well done guys.

This is all on top of the idea that they "improved" the graphics, which of course means they added tons of garish effects that, again, don't really fit in to the original game so a lot of the times it can look like some fake FPS a psychopath plays on a particularly lovely episode of Law & Order.

I probably seem nitpicky but that's the problem with this. It's tons and tons of little things that make every minute an utter slog. For instance there's so much poo poo going on at once every battle, even tiny skirmishes, feel like total clusterfucks. This is cool in a game like Doom but in this mess it means with all the gunfire, explosions, and other sound effects, I wasn't able to hear the cloaked elite that spawned out of nowhere and one hit killed me with his stupid rear end energy sword. Any time one of these dudes would show up in the original games the designers would set it up so that you were at least given SOME kind of a hint that trouble was afoot.

Basically, these dudes done spent 10 years of their lives making a thing that feels like absolute dogshit to play and it's depressing, because a revamped CE sounds like so much fun. Yeah, I can always play the Anniversary version, but this could have been something really special.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The inclusion of Brutes really irked me in Halo. My friend and I play through the first Halo on Legendary about once a year and I love love love fighting elites. They look cool, their weapons are cool, and even a blue Elite can easily gently caress you up if you’re not careful.

Then they replaced them with Brutes who look dumb, have lovely weapons, and they’re not interesting to fight.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

SPV3 is a fanmade revamp of the original Halo: Combat Evolved campaign and was made by a bunch of brain genious armchair game designers who, in a bizarre twist of fate, actually had the technical skillset required to realize their utterly dogshit vision of "What if Halo but it loving sucks."

It is a victim of kitchen sink design and there doesn't feel like there was much thought put into anything regarding balance, challenge, or any of that apparently boring bullshit and instead they focused on cramming in as much crap as they could whether or not it fit into the combat encounters, pacing, the established setting, or loving anything at all.

Forrrrrr example.

The original CE did not have Brutes. Of course, Bungie hadn't come up with the Brutes and their weaponry yet. So it's safe to say the original CE's weapon sandbox, combat encounter design, and all that poo poo was not really designed to work with or around Brutes and their weaponry. Did the SPV3 devs keep this in mind? No! In fact, they shoved loving Brutes and Brute shots in almost every god drat fight! And they made the Brute shot even stronger than it was in Halo 3. When you've got Brute shot explosions, grenades, needlers, skimishers with hit scan sniper weapons all pummeling you at once, guess how fun it gets. Trick question, it is exactly zero fun and fucks up the weapons sandbox because WHY would I want to take any other weapon except for the Brute shot at that point??

The difficulties are all screwed up. It goes Normal, Hard, Heroic, Legendary, and Noble. Cool, we definitely needed 4 variations on butt fuckingly hard, and normal is already an absolute slog to get through. Enemies are super aggressive with lots of shielding and the hit boxes are hosed. Certain Marine weaponry doesn't seem to work right. The DMR in Halo Reach was definitely a work horse of a weapon if you were patient and accurate. Here it's absolutely worthless. Can't even kill a GRUNT with a single headshot. Well done guys.

This is all on top of the idea that they "improved" the graphics, which of course means they added tons of garish effects that, again, don't really fit in to the original game so a lot of the times it can look like some fake FPS a psychopath plays on a particularly lovely episode of Law & Order.

I probably seem nitpicky but that's the problem with this. It's tons and tons of little things that make every minute an utter slog. For instance there's so much poo poo going on at once every battle, even tiny skirmishes, feel like total clusterfucks. This is cool in a game like Doom but in this mess it means with all the gunfire, explosions, and other sound effects, I wasn't able to hear the cloaked elite that spawned out of nowhere and one hit killed me with his stupid rear end energy sword. Any time one of these dudes would show up in the original games the designers would set it up so that you were at least given SOME kind of a hint that trouble was afoot.

Basically, these dudes done spent 10 years of their lives making a thing that feels like absolute dogshit to play and it's depressing, because a revamped CE sounds like so much fun. Yeah, I can always play the Anniversary version, but this could have been something really special.

Including Brutes doesn’t even make sense for the story, the Elites failing to stop Master Chief from destroying Halo is what causes them to start to fall out of favor with the Prophets who instead start to favor the brutes. The whole civil war storyline over the next two games doesn’t make sense if there were Brutes on the first Halo.

Also the idea that you can improve the Halo: CE campaign is heresy

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Also the idea that you can improve the Halo: CE campaign is heresy

Well, the level design could definitely be refined but from a gameplay standpoint it's absolutely golden. These clowns just totally hosed it up by jamming in so much colossal bullshit and making even normal difficulty needlessly irritating. It just super irks the poo poo out of me because I want to enjoy the drat thing but it pushes back so hard.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogx_24aoRpg

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Playing through Wolfenstein New Colossus this month since it's on the Xbox subscription service, and it's mostly a good time running around killing Nazis in various bloody ways. But there's a fair amount of time you're forced to wander around in your mazelike home base doing random gofer stuff, time that you could be spending running around killing more Nazis in various bloody ways.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Hygiene posted:

Playing through Wolfenstein New Colossus

did they finally balance the game to not be absolute bullshit on normal mode

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Playing through Wolfenstein New Colossus this month since it's on the Xbox subscription service, and it's mostly a good time running around killing Nazis in various bloody ways. But there's a fair amount of time you're forced to wander around in your mazelike home base doing random gofer stuff, time that you could be spending running around killing more Nazis in various bloody ways.

I nearly uninstalled when one of the home base errands was to refuel a helicopter by walking to the hangar on the complete other end of the base then just walking back and forth between the chopper and a fuel station on the other end of the hanger 3 times before going all the way back to where you started to start the actual mission. And in retrospect I wish I had.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I nearly uninstalled when one of the home base errands was to refuel a helicopter by walking to the hangar on the complete other end of the base then just walking back and forth between the chopper and a fuel station on the other end of the hanger 3 times before going all the way back to where you started to start the actual mission. And in retrospect I wish I had.

There's a fuel station five feet away from the helicopter, unless they try to pull off that mission again with more walking.

spit on my clit posted:

did they finally balance the game to not be absolute bullshit on normal mode

lol, like I'd play a game in anything other than the babiest of modes

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Hygiene posted:

lol, like I'd play a game in anything other than the babiest of modes

well, for once it's how the game was intended to be played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing and enjoying World Super Police on the PS2 but mission 15 may have broken me. It's so annoying, because if you fall behind in the game the AI warns you in a little cutscene, which only normally appear every now and then, however, the enemies in this mission only spawn near the end so you get endless interruptions where the characters are like "We're running out of time!" in which you cannot fire, and the AI driving always puts me in front of one of the enemies so I can't hit them which wastes soo much time as they peg me in the back and I have to try to slow down enough to get them in front of me. As a result I can't kill them fast enough and it's really annoying.