Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Sounds a bit like what they did with the Tempest rerelease.

FRF in particular had a lot of chaff that I would not miss at all, along with some busted bombs, like Citadel Siege.

Tempest Remastered was different, it was a traditional draft format instead of a cube and was only cards from Tempest Block

Tubgoat posted:

Huh. Well then, I am glad I haven't tried to build Goblins yet.

There's 2 ways to basic ways to build goblins competitively, hyperfast allin aggro or a grindy deck that leans on matron and ringleader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

axeil posted:

On this topic, is there a go-to deck archetype to teach a totally new player how to play? I want to teach my fiancee how to play but I also don't want to scare her away with really complex mechanics. I remember I learned on an elf deck back in 2007 or so that was just "play a shitload of elves real fast" and it avoided you needing to know anything other than "this is how you play creatures"

Is a green creature-heavy deck the way to go? I have all the M19 Planeswalker decks but I'm still worried they might be too complex.

I know it's already been answered, but I taught my fiancee using the elves vs inventors duel deck. I started out with her only using the elves deck ("Turn dudes sideways and you'll probably win"), and when she had a slightly better grasp on basic mechanics we switched decks so she could get a better understanding of using artifacts and more than one color in a deck.

She also watched/listened to a bunch of youtube vids, if you want some recommendations on those I have a bunch.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

There's two basic ways to build goblins, an extremely aggressive build that tops out at chieftains(8whack basically) and the grindy build. Guide is awful in the grindy build but it's good in the aggro build.

Admittedly I forgot 8whack existed, was thinking more legacy goblins then modern

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Elyv posted:

hyperfast allin aggro
When I do put together 8-whack, I'm giving Devastating Summons another go.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlternateNu posted:

Goblin Guide is a burn card, not a goblin card.

Checkmate. :smuggo:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

“As both a player and a product manager, one of my favorite things about Magic Online is the Spotlight Cube Series (formerly "Cube Spotlight Series").”

how many meetings did that take

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

You say you want to make a bunch of goblins, so also take a look at Mogg War Marshal and Siege Gang Commander.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
How the hell have y’all mentioned so many different ways for generating goblins and not brought up dirty kitty??

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Admittedly I forgot 8whack existed, was thinking more legacy goblins then modern

8whack has no actual goblin synergy

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Pontius Pilate posted:

“As both a player and a product manager, one of my favorite things about Magic Online is the Spotlight Cube Series (formerly "Cube Spotlight Series").”

nothing gets people more excited than the phrase "as a product manager,"

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

little munchkin posted:

Goblin grenade and usually chieftain out of the sideboard.

Also if you're doing a no rules janky goblin build I highly recommend Goblin Warrens.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

little munchkin posted:

The old builds ran Piledriver, Grenade, and some number of Chieftains.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Does Arena have the free booster drafts that online has where you don't keep any of the cards but get practice drafting?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Does Arena have the free booster drafts that online has where you don't keep any of the cards but get practice drafting?

Nope. No phantom drafting.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

no but you can enter drafts with gold you got given from f2p playing

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I was thinking the Standard meta was pretty diverse playing over the last week, and then LSV won a GP and now everyone I play against in Diamond is just Scapeshift.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

qbert posted:

I was thinking the Standard meta was pretty diverse playing over the last week, and then LSV won a GP and now everyone I play against in Diamond is just Scapeshift.

Switch to any deck running unmoored ego

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Pontius Pilate posted:

As both a player and a poo poo poster, one of my favorite things about Magic Online is the Cube Cube Cube (formerly "Spotlight Cube Series").

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
honestly we're lucky it doesn't have 'mythic' in the name

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Switch to any deck running unmoored ego

I'm thinking of running 3 Alpine Moon in Mono-R BO1 just for maximum opponent tilt.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Esper Ashiok/Fall of the Thran

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

qbert posted:

if I had the extra rares I would play mill again. Mono-Blue has to be something good now with Ashiok and Jace.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GoutPatrol posted:

if I had the extra rares I would play mill again. Mono-Blue has to be something good now with Ashiok and Jace.

The thing I hate about Arena is that there’s no such thing as cheap rares, you can’t afford to burn rare wildcards on a gimmick metagame deck or something.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

qbert posted:

I'm thinking of running 3 Alpine Moon in Mono-R BO1 just for maximum opponent tilt.

This is real spicy, I love it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Turn 8 magic the way Richard Garfield intended

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Mezzanon posted:

Turn 8 magic the way Richard Garfield intended

Cool. So is Arboreal Grazer going to find a home?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Smashing Link posted:

Cool. So is Arboreal Grazer going to find a home?

In scapeshift: yes
In elementals: no

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

In scapeshift: yes
In elementals: no

Grazer is a temporally embarrassed elemental

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

Grazer is a temporally embarrassed elemental

Don’t plate grazer in your elementals deck. Play a boatload of elementals and clone effects.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Don’t plate grazer in your elementals deck. Play a boatload of elementals and clone effects.

I'm more of a stewed grazer fan. Plated grazer is too gamey.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
My local store is paying me in credit to sort through stacks and stacks of cards they've bought but never put up for sale for some reason. So far I've sorted about 4000 cards in 5 hours. Current highlights of why the hell didn't these go immediately in the case as soon as he bought them are about a dozen new Ravnica shocklands, 4 Mirroden check lands, a foil Surgical Extraction and a few dozen cards worth more then $10.

I should have asked for a percentage.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

quote:

The cycle of fetch lands has been paired with the Ravnica shock lands, but many other fixers in this cube require something of a cost

Is... is this implying that they're printing fetches and shocks in the khans cube? :catstare:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Shortest Path posted:

Is... is this implying that they're printing fetches and shocks in the khans cube? :catstare:

Cube is phantom only MTGO.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Cube is phantom only MTGO.

Oh, I thought this was the physical cube product that Gavin had been talking about doing for a while. :smith:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Squee is a cool and good goblin and can be played from anywhere.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Anyone know why probe and prohibit spiked a little over a year ago?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Something happening in pauper is the only reason that comes to mind.

Probably some new card coming that would make UB control a better deck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PleasantDirge posted:

Anyone know why probe and prohibit spiked a little over a year ago?

To 35 cents from 18 cents? When will this #mtgfinance madness end!?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

LifeLynx posted:

To 35 cents from 18 cents? When will this #mtgfinance madness end!?

Mtg goldfish showed a spike to $6 about a year and 3 months ago, we have enough pauper players I figured someone might know off hand.

Steve said they were dumb cards for stupid babies so I bought a small stack for a nickel a pop out of a local bulk bin at the flea market where I get most of my misprints because ppl are bad at magic and love dumb, bad cards but I have been busy lately and missed whatever bad batch of rye bread caused any kind of run on these two cards anywhere. Maybe it's just some dipshit on EBay buying one for $6 or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I am loving in love with Arena. I got through the Mono red and Mono green master to get the Gruul deck. Now I'm just having so much loving fun playing Gruul. Riot is a way better mechanic than Bloodthirst. I got 4 Rhythm of the Wilds and my god having double Riot is OP as gently caress. There are these 3/3 goblins that cost 1GR and with double riot I was able to start making GBS threads out 5/5's on Turn 4. The dude I was playing just conceded.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 24, 2019