Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Bottom Liner posted:

We’re doing the cast preview of Star Wars on the 13th! Hyyyype

We're still waiting for AP registration to open up. They announced it June 17th, people are going nuts waiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I feel Orlando is gonna be a shitshow. Like a month away and still haven't said anything regarding a virtual queue or whatever. If their answer is just EMH every day, I don't know, it's gonna be rowdy. I'm stoked to hit GE in DL in Sept where hopefully it's still under control.

Side note - has anybody learned anything anywhere about carrying on a lightsaber on an airplane? Because that's something I'll sure be doing.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tim Whatley posted:

Side note - has anybody learned anything anywhere about carrying on a lightsaber on an airplane? Because that's something I'll sure be doing.

TSA put out a tongue-in-cheek policy statement:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/light-saber

quote:

Sadly, the technology doesn't currently exist to create a real lightsaber. However, you can pack a toy lightsaber in your carry-on or checked bag. May the force be with you.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Length can still be an issue depending on airline so beware.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Tim Whatley posted:

I feel Orlando is gonna be a shitshow. Like a month away and still haven't said anything regarding a virtual queue or whatever. If their answer is just EMH every day, I don't know, it's gonna be rowdy. I'm stoked to hit GE in DL in Sept where hopefully it's still under control.

I totally agree. They need to have a plan other than EMH insanity. That said, I'm one of the dumb assholes that will be braving it so yay me.

I'm also going to DL in Sept, so if for some reason WDW GE doesn't work out for me, I get a do over.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

AP previews just announced for 8/17-8/21. Pretty short, so going to be tough to get a slot (CM previews are for two full weeks).

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Nanigans posted:

And I'll definitely be refreshing that app all morning. :D

Depending on how tech savvy/willing to put up with bullshit everyone is, remember that you may have luck searching for a smaller party and snagging overlapping times than finding a block of four unclaimed.

Like, if you snag a FP for 2 good from 2:30-3:30 then two more from 3:00-4:00, you can just cash them in at the same time. The grace periods on either end of the FP window help here, too.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Braksgirl posted:

I totally agree. They need to have a plan other than EMH insanity. That said, I'm one of the dumb assholes that will be braving it so yay me.

I'm also going to DL in Sept, so if for some reason WDW GE doesn't work out for me, I get a do over.

Sweet! I'll be there week of the 22nd. Might book WDW for January and to see RotR.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Boxman posted:

Depending on how tech savvy/willing to put up with bullshit everyone is, remember that you may have luck searching for a smaller party and snagging overlapping times than finding a block of four unclaimed.

Like, if you snag a FP for 2 good from 2:30-3:30 then two more from 3:00-4:00, you can just cash them in at the same time. The grace periods on either end of the FP window help here, too.

They are 60 year old immigrants who don't speak English very well...well, my father in law does. But I doubt they're gonna be up for refreshing the app.

Me and my partner will have to suffice. Thanks for the advice though.

I have a good feeling they'll be up for rope drop considering that my mother in law who doesn't really show interest in anything brought FoP up unprompted. Her coworker was telling her about it and she seems jazzed. They actually loved the Avatar movie and my father in law loves animals. Here's hoping they'll have a nice time. :unsmith:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'll probably be waiting a month or two until the crowds to die down. Judging from Avatar last time and Disneyland's Galaxy's Edge this year, I think by then the "queue up just to enter the land" phase will have ended.

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.
Trip report: Tokyo Disneysea

I'm now back home after a 3 week trip to Thailand and Japan for our (3-years delayed) honeymoon. We're from Canada and we've been to all the Orlando Disney and Universal parks but Tokyo Disneysea has been a dream for me for years. We were there last Thursday (July 18) on our final full day in Japan. We arrived around 8:15am for a 9am opening, and stayed till the park closed. Park tickets are surprisingly cheap; less than $70 USD compared to $115 for Magic Kingdom. It was a hot one (28+ degrees C) so we loaded up on hydration salts and brought portable fans and cooling towels and we were mostly okay.

Tokyo Disney has paper fast passes like Disneyland, so we couldn't book rides ahead of time so we had to be strategic with our rides. Like I said, we've been to the Orlando parks so Toy Story Mania wasn't a priority for us, so at rope-drop we beelined to Journey to the Centre of the Earth to get fast passes and then get in the standby line. Toy Story Mania is the most popular ride in Japan and they were sold out of fast passes by 10am and has 2.5 hour waits for part of the day. I think they shut it down to standby riders at some point and it re-opened to ~90 minute waits in the early evening. We also got fast passes for Tower of Terror in the early afternoon, and Indiana Jones for the last hour of opening.

Rides and shows
-Journey was excellent, and even better the second time when we asked to sit in the front row. Really cool queue.
-20 000 Leagues Under the Sea was pretty good. The dialogue was all in Japanese so we enjoyed the visual experience. It reminded me of a darker version of the Nemo ride at EPCOT.
-Tower of Terror was good, but I like the Hollywood Studios version better. The preshow was cool and you got the gist of it even if you didn't speak Japanese, but the ride itself was much shorter than expected.
-Raging Spirits is a rollercoaster with a small loop. We did single-rider for this one and waited 10 minutes, when the posted wait time was 70 minutes. It was OK, but I'm glad we did single rider for this one.
-Venetian Gondolas was a nice and relaxing break from the crows in the late afternoon. They shut it down occasionally when there is a show going on in the main harbour, so we checked in a couple times before we found it actually operating.
-Nemo Seasiders was super cute screen-based ride, similar to Minions Mayhem at Universal Studios. We went at the end of the day when it was a walk-on, but I would happily wait 20-30 minutes for it.
-Indiana Jones was really good, really fast and exciting. It was the last ride we did before the park closed and it was worth the wait. I'm really glad we got fast passes for it, since it was still a 60+ minute wait before the closed off the queue.
-We didn't win the lottery to see the Big Band Beat show, but we went in the standby line for the second show of the day and got right in. Lottery winners sit downstairs and they have 300-ish standby seats in the balcony. The show itself was cute and had great music, and it was a great way to escape the heat for 30 minutes. We both dozed off a bit during the show because the theatre was dark and had A/C. No regrets.
-Fantasmic was so great. They really know how to get adults a little emotional. The finale with the dragon was incredible. I think the show was better than the Hollywood Studios version. The show is 360 degrees around the harbour so it's hard to get a bad seat.

Atmosphere

Really great theming overall in the whole park. Arguably the best theming of any Disney park I've been to. Highlights were the Aladdin area and the steampunk area where Journey and 20 000 Leagues were. It was really cool wandering around when the sun went down and seeing all the neat lighting.

Food
-best food I've had at a Disney park for sure (though that's a low bar).
-best snacks were the gyoza dog, the eukiwa bun (the Donald Duck-themed shrimp bun), and the green alien mochis.
-best sit-down meal was at the Mexican themed place in the Lost River area. They served a very refreshing cold noodle bowl, with two kinds of sausage on the side, and a cold drink, all for less than $15 USD.
-we also had dinner at the Chinese-style restaurant in the steampunk area. Really good fried rice bowl and ma-po tofu.

People
-actually the best part of Tokyo Disney. The Japanese absolutely love Disney and their enthusiasm is infectious. It's hard to describe the level of effort the guests go to to dress up as their favourite Disney characters.
-Everywhere you turn there would be a group of 3-5 girls dressed identically as Jessie, Rex or Hamm from Toy Story, or wearing black-and-white polka dots and dalmatian ears. There were a lot of couple in matching outfits and you could really tell how much pride and effort people put into their outfits. I think more than 2/3 groups were wearing some sort of matching outfit. We ended up buying our own Mickey and Minnie ears so we wouldn't feel so left out.
-my wife tells me that the women's washrooms were usually full of girls re-applying makeup and brushing their hair for their costumes.
-Cast members were all great and super accommodating for english speakers. They could almost always answer simple questions in english, and they would otherwise find a colleague who can help.
-the park was somewhat crowded, but almost always manageable. We were there on a 3-4/10 crowd level day, and I shudder to think what 8+/10 looks like.

Duffy
-being from North America, we were not prepared for the popularity of Duffy the Disney Bear. It was kind of insane.
-Duffy costumes, plush Duffys, Duffy backpacks, pins, pens, Duffy everywhere.
-His friends were kind of cute though. We liked the bunny and the cat.
-the best part about Duffy is that he keeps people from being in front of me in line on rides while they are shopping for more Duffy.

Some photos to come once I get them off my wife's phone. I'm happy to answer questions for anyone planning to go.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Hi all, I'm hoping to take my better half to Disneyworld after we get married next year. Might be a stupid question but how long would you suggest going for? Like most package sites that I go on (I'm from the UK) seem to have 14 days as the 'standard' - would you recommend 14 days, or can most of it be done in 7?

Thanks in advance :)

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Gelatoni >>> Duffy

:colbert:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Looke posted:

Hi all, I'm hoping to take my better half to Disneyworld after we get married next year. Might be a stupid question but how long would you suggest going for? Like most package sites that I go on (I'm from the UK) seem to have 14 days as the 'standard' - would you recommend 14 days, or can most of it be done in 7?

UK packages tend to be longer since the cost of getting there is so much more for you guys.

I've spent maybe 30 days at WDW and there are still things I haven't seen or done, but that is mostly by choice. It's really up to you. 6 to 8 days is a really good amount of time to see pretty much everything you would want to at WDW. It depends what sort of pace you want to take. Some folks are park warriors and go go go from open to close. Other folks like a slower pace and enjoy the dining and atmosphere, and parades instead of focusing on the rides. 7 full days is a good sweet spot in my opinion.

I can tell you 13 days is too drat long at WDW for us. We were ready to go home around day 10. It's exhausting. On an average day you can count on walking 7 to 10 miles.

I meet up with some UK co-workers who fly into Orlando for an IT conference, and they usually stay an extra week or two on holiday after the conference is over. They'll spend a few days at WDW, a few days at Universal Studios, and then do other touristy things. Last year one of the guys rented a convertible and drove down to the Florida Keys for a few nights and he said they had a blast. If you can swing it and stay for 2 weeks, I'd really suggest doing something similar if that would interest you.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Looke posted:

Guess it depends on all you want to do, but 7 days is plenty, generally speaking. 1 day per park, except maybe 2 days in MK only takes 5 days. If you’re interested in Universal or other parks, add a day or two for those. Plus if you want to do any of the water parks or have a pool day at your hotel, add a day for that.

If you want to do any major attractions not on Disney property, consider staying off property for those days instead of paying the premium for a Disney hotel.

14 days is way too many imo just to dedicate to Disney world.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Cool thanks, sounds like getting accommodation elsewhere and exploring other places as well would be a better option. Thanks for the help :)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Whatever you do, plan a day of rest in the middle. Stay by the pool, read, relax but don’t hit all the activities in the parks every single day. You WILL be miserable.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We met a couple from Australia at trader Joe's that were there for a 10 day trip. I was sort of blown away because even I get tired of Disney after a week.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn’t realize how expensive tickets have gotten. Two four day one park a day tickets are like $950 :wtc:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

geese posted:

Trip report: Tokyo Disneysea

Ughhh, I can't wait. I'm going in October, so I'm hoping the weather will be nice and crisp and crowds on a Tuesday to be minimal. Also really hoping for Halloween decorations/theming.

Did you say you got a cold noodle dish at a Mexican restaurant? :psyduck:

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Tim Whatley posted:

Sweet! I'll be there week of the 22nd. Might book WDW for January and to see RotR.

I'll be there the 26th - 29th. Gonna do Oogie Boogie Bash on the evening of the 26th.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

We were actually thinking about hitting it that same night. We've never even been to DL. Do you know if the party is worth?

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.

Nanigans posted:

Ughhh, I can't wait. I'm going in October, so I'm hoping the weather will be nice and crisp and crowds on a Tuesday to be minimal. Also really hoping for Halloween decorations/theming.

Did you say you got a cold noodle dish at a Mexican restaurant? :psyduck:

Mexican-themed restaurant. I think it was the Yucatan grill and it was a seasonal dish so they might not have them in October. We had chilled noodles several times in Japan and it was usually a nice break from the summer heat.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

geese posted:

Mexican-themed restaurant. I think it was the Yucatan grill and it was a seasonal dish so they might not have them in October. We had chilled noodles several times in Japan and it was usually a nice break from the summer heat.

Oh yeah, we always hit up the chilled soba noodles with shrimp at Thailand during F&W in Epcot since it's tasty and refreshing.

How's the merch priced compared to the states? I'll probably want to buy a ton of stuff, but will need to restrain myself if for no other reason than packing to get home will be murder. But I hope it's a little cheaper.

$20 for a coffee mug here in the states is a little ludicrous.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Tim Whatley posted:

We were actually thinking about hitting it that same night. We've never even been to DL. Do you know if the party is worth?

I've never done a party at DL before. If it's anything like the party at WDW it'll be worth it. The 26th is sold out though. It's the only night that's sold out, of course. :argh:

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.

Nanigans posted:

Oh yeah, we always hit up the chilled soba noodles with shrimp at Thailand during F&W in Epcot since it's tasty and refreshing.

How's the merch priced compared to the states? I'll probably want to buy a ton of stuff, but will need to restrain myself if for no other reason than packing to get home will be murder. But I hope it's a little cheaper.

$20 for a coffee mug here in the states is a little ludicrous.

Merch was definitely cheaper across the board. I think most merch was at least 25% less than I remember from Orlando. The Mickey ears were ~1500 yen, so under 15 USD and they're like 25 USD on the online Disney Store (I checked when we bought them). We were convinced that they might be lesser quality than the ones from the States, though. I think mugs were 1200 yen but can't remember exactly, but definitely less than $15 USD.

The clothing selection wasn't great compared to Florida, but they had all sorts of cute kitchen items that are exclusive to Tokyo Disney. Most of the individual stores throughout the park had a relatively small selection but there's a series of 4-5 shops that are to the left when you enter Disneysea that have almost all the mugs and kitchen items, so if you can't find something at one of the individual shops you'll find it there.

We brought carry-ons only for our trip. For the trip home we bought a giant soft-sided duffle bag in Japan and just stuffed all our clothing in the duffle as checked baggage, and filled our carry-ons with all our goodies from the trip.

geese fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 24, 2019

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

geese posted:

Merch was definitely cheaper across the board. I think most merch was at least 25% less than I remember from Orlando. The Mickey ears were ~1500 yen, so under 15 USD and they're like 25 USD on the online Disney Store (I checked when we bought them). We were convinced that they might be lesser quality than the ones from the States, though.

I dunno about their current ears, but the velvet lined Minnie ears I got there in 2013 are still in absolutely perfect condition. I still wear them to the parks and always get a lot of compliments and people thinking I made them.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Looke posted:

'sup, fellow UK disneyworld honeymooner

We're going for 10 nights for ours and this is after going for 7 nights previously. The first trip was a day in each park, a park hopper ticket for Universal for one day, and then the last day we went back to Magic Kingdom again. We were able to comfortably do all the rides in that time without having to wait more than 25 minutes for anything.

So, 7 nights is totally adequate. More days means you can have a rest day or two, or not fret about getting more fastpasses while in the parks because you can just go another day. We also didnt see a lot of the shows because by day 5 and 6 we were too fatigued from the previous days to stay until closing, so I think we'll see a lot more of those on this trip when we've got more time

One thing I found out is that the tickets they sell in the UK include a free round of mini golf for every night of the stay. They don't seem to promote that fact and it was a cool thing to do on an evening.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Disney announced they're starting to do 60 days out for both Oga's and Savi's at Disneyland, probably a decent indicator that when it goes live, they'll do the same for WDW

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

RedTeam posted:

'sup, fellow UK disneyworld honeymooner

We're going for 10 nights for ours and this is after going for 7 nights previously. The first trip was a day in each park, a park hopper ticket for Universal for one day, and then the last day we went back to Magic Kingdom again. We were able to comfortably do all the rides in that time without having to wait more than 25 minutes for anything.

So, 7 nights is totally adequate. More days means you can have a rest day or two, or not fret about getting more fastpasses while in the parks because you can just go another day. We also didnt see a lot of the shows because by day 5 and 6 we were too fatigued from the previous days to stay until closing, so I think we'll see a lot more of those on this trip when we've got more time

One thing I found out is that the tickets they sell in the UK include a free round of mini golf for every night of the stay. They don't seem to promote that fact and it was a cool thing to do on an evening.

awesome thanks for the info, did you go with a package holiday company?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Tim Whatley posted:

Disney announced they're starting to do 60 days out for both Oga's and Savi's at Disneyland, probably a decent indicator that when it goes live, they'll do the same for WDW

Oh that is gonna be absolute dicks for WDW. There will never be space ever.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I mean, that's gonna suck. We're already within 60 days of the WDW opening so it's gonna be a mad dash. And if they do that for WDW, then it seems like only the people that have reservations to Oga's and Savi's will get in the land, so if you don't have a res you're SOL.

Unless they wait a few months after WDW opening to put this into place, like they're doing at DL.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Looke posted:

awesome thanks for the info, did you go with a package holiday company?

Virgin Holidays both times. I've read that they're supposed to be more expensive than the alternatives but I found that everywhere is pretty much the same price, as far as package holidays go. You can also get a discount on the whole holiday (I think 7%?) if you sign up to the Virgin Airmiles thing and put your membership number in at the checkout. We also got a free dining and $200 giftcard offer, which I think might still be running. Between all that we didn't find a need to book elsewhere this time.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

AP registration for Galaxys Edge is live, check them emails

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Passholder previews are live folks. Just registered for smugglers run and Savi’s workshop. I’m probably going to cry real tears.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I also signed up for the 17th.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
RIP any chance of a dvc preview.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Snagged the 11:00-3:00 slot for August 21!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Our time slot is 5-9, so I'm looking forward to taking some awesome nighttime photos and I will make drat sure I'm the last person there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I wish I could gift mine because I'm not using it but I don't think I can.