Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Preoptopus posted:

Also curious where you got the struts from.

Oh boy, I should have been more specific. I was talking about the trunk lid gas struts: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-For-Mercedes-W220-881-Trunk-Shock-L-R-x2-Gas-Strut-Lift-Support-Absorber/202573942731
The aforementioned cheapo ones were $20 for the pair and just a waste of money.

The only suspension strut I've replaced is the left rear, which the shop did and still shows premature droop compared to the other corners. I'm way too chicken to deal with that labor myself.

e: I looked really briefly on FCPEuro for my model, and I don't think I saw airmatic stuff.
I got my Arnott strut here: https://www.ebay.com/usr/buyautoparts
and they were painless to deal with. Package came with the shipping label to send back the old one to get the core charge.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

kimbo305 posted:

Oh boy, I should have been more specific. I was talking about the trunk lid gas struts: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-For-Mercedes-W220-881-Trunk-Shock-L-R-x2-Gas-Strut-Lift-Support-Absorber/202573942731
The aforementioned cheapo ones were $20 for the pair and just a waste of money.

The only suspension strut I've replaced is the left rear, which the shop did and still shows premature droop compared to the other corners. I'm way too chicken to deal with that labor myself.

e: I looked really briefly on FCPEuro for my model, and I don't think I saw airmatic stuff.
I got my Arnott strut here: https://www.ebay.com/usr/buyautoparts
and they were painless to deal with. Package came with the shipping label to send back the old one to get the core charge.

AH lol forgot you were dealing with that. Good to know tho. Side note Any more missfire issues? The guy ive been talking to whos been comming in with his s600 changed out his coil like 3 times and still had a miss, turns out it was a boost leak.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 9, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

AH lol forgot you were dealing with that. Good to know tho. Side note Any more missfire issues? The guy ive been talking to whos been comming in with his s600 changed out his coil like 3 times and still had a miss, turns out it was a boost leak.

Not that I've noticed. I haven't been stomping on the gas with the front rotors as pulsy as they are. Though I guess the misfire I was getting was from idle.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

kimbo305 posted:

Not that I've noticed. I haven't been stomping on the gas with the front rotors as pulsy as they are. Though I guess the misfire I was getting was from idle.
Un measured air will do it. But also we have two computers so its totally fine to bump around on 6 cylinders while saving money to fix the other one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

FUUUUC
CKKKKK

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Up in Montpelier VT to visit my wife at construction boot camp. Drove fine on the way up, opened the trunk when I got here, but when I tried to pop the trunk before lunch, it stopped working. As did the soft close doors. So some sort of pneumatic system fault (again)? Central locking doesn't work, but if I manually lock the driver's door, the mirrors also fold in. But the other locks blithely stay unlocked. I guess in this mode, you have to go around and physically lock all doors?

I feel like I'm averaging one issue every other hundred miles of driving.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

At least Montpelier is nice?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The car is completely drivable except for the super shuddering front rotors. So I should be able to get home with serious issue. When the problems all pile up like this, I'm so compelled to sell, even if addressing the problems is gonna dig my loss deeper.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

angryrobots posted:

At least Montpelier is nice?

Montpelier has good food and drink, mostly at Three Penny Taproom. Otherwise, meh. Old Route Two spirits over in Barre is run by a goon though. Annoyingly, that's been since I left.

Burlington is fun.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

The car is completely drivable except for the super shuddering front rotors.

Does your car have OEM rotors or aftermarket?

I was having the same issues with our LS430, putting Lexus rotors on it solved the problem.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Does your car have OEM rotors or aftermarket?

I was having the same issues with our LS430, putting Lexus rotors on it solved the problem.

Not sure. They were fine before winter parking rusted them something awful. I plan to get the ones from FCPEuro. Not sure what to do about the rust, which is really gonna detract from the small market for a far from pristine S65.
I'm not sure why there's this pneumatic issue without a code on the dash.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

kimbo305 posted:

When the problems all pile up like this, I'm so compelled to sell, even if addressing the problems is gonna dig my loss deeper.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I think you mean

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I should reiterate, if you're still on Montpelier, go to Three Penny. They probably need help paying the electric bill after my wife and I left. Also, they usually have a ton of Hill Farmstead and Lawson's Finest on tap. It'll make the amg pain better.

Assuming you don't have to take out to the Automaster in Burlington-ish. That'll kill your drinks budget.

Alarbus fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 2, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kimbo305 posted:

FUUUUC
CKKKKK

That's a replaceable panel, right?

Edit: Door Applique Trim / Held on with strong 2-way tape.

https://parts.mbfm.com/p/Mercedes-Benz_2006_S65-AMG-Base-Sedan-60L-AMG-V12-AT/Applique-COVER/52447959/2206900787.html

As shipped:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 2, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Not sure. They were fine before winter parking rusted them something awful. I plan to get the ones from FCPEuro. Not sure what to do about the rust, which is really gonna detract from the small market for a far from pristine S65.
I'm not sure why there's this pneumatic issue without a code on the dash.

Whatever you do don't use Brembo rotors, I thought i'd save a bit and go that route and they "warped" within a few months.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

kimbo305 posted:

I feel like I'm averaging one issue every other hundred miles of driving.

So just think, in like 5700 miles you'll have everything fixed completely! That's not even two oil changes!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

meatpimp posted:

That's a replaceable panel, right?

Edit: Door Applique Trim / Held on with strong 2-way tape.

https://parts.mbfm.com/p/Mercedes-Benz_2006_S65-AMG-Base-Sedan-60L-AMG-V12-AT/Applique-COVER/52447959/2206900787.html

As shipped:

Super awesome, but I needed the rear left door, so got: https://parts.mbfm.com/p/Mercedes-Benz_2006_S65-AMG-Base-Sedan-60L-AMG-V12-AT/Cover-Applique/52447991/2206901187.html

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Whatever you do don't use Brembo rotors, I thought i'd save a bit and go that route and they "warped" within a few months.

Hmm, I can't find anyone who claims they have OEM fronts in stock besides Autozone, which I'm doubtful about. OEM rears, no problem, but I don't see fronts.
e: yeah, only game in town seems to be Brembo :(

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 2, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yeah, I just posted that as representative, glad that's an easy and cheap fix!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

One small design shortcoming with the controls --
I was giving some people a ride (to just Blue Stone and not Three Penny, unfortunately), and they asked if the rear window controls were locked out. As it turns out, they were, but it took me a bit to figure out how to enable. The button isn't a pushbutton, though there's no real hint to that effect. It's marked with a "disable window control" icon, and slides left right.

Yes disable:

No, don't disable:

It's a bit of a double negative.
I pressed the slider as well as the "On" section (even though the indicated state wouldn't change, I thought maybe it would pop out?). Only then did I think to slide it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Hmm, I can't find anyone who claims they have OEM fronts in stock besides Autozone, which I'm doubtful about. OEM rears, no problem, but I don't see fronts.
e: yeah, only game in town seems to be Brembo :(

I had to bite the bullet and get mine through a dealership in Illinois or something. They were a bit cheaper than local dealers but it still wasn't cheap.

Lesson learned tho, was kinda shocked that the Brembos hosed up so quick I was pretty pissed about that.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

One small design shortcoming with the controls --
I was giving some people a ride (to just Blue Stone and not Three Penny, unfortunately), and they asked if the rear window controls were locked out. As it turns out, they were, but it took me a bit to figure out how to enable. The button isn't a pushbutton, though there's no real hint to that effect. It's marked with a "disable window control" icon, and slides left right.

Yes disable:

No, don't disable:

It's a bit of a double negative.
I pressed the slider as well as the "On" section (even though the indicated state wouldn't change, I thought maybe it would pop out?). Only then did I think to slide it.

Does that just cut off air to the rear switches?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Does that just cut off air to the rear switches?
Like mechanically? God, I hope not. I actually wondered if it could have tripped up the pneumatic system somehow. Putting the switch the other way didn't restore functionality in any way, at least.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The power locks might be vacuum powered but I don't think the windows have anything to do with it?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I thought rotors were one of the few things where it really didn't matter what you bought, OEM / name brand vs whatever's cheapest, but I guess not

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I know you have a W220 and I have a W221 but when this crap happened it was the aux battery in the trunk that died/was dying. First time I had to use the manual key to unlock the door. Symptoms sound like the same though. Including the trunk lid.

Had to laugh at the door lock switch. In some weird way it makes sense.

edit: Need to add as a disclaimer, your car has a starter battery as well?

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 3, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

I thought rotors were one of the few things where it really didn't matter what you bought, OEM / name brand vs whatever's cheapest, but I guess not

Depends on the car. I had a Crown Vic that loved to warp the front rotors, some lasted longer than others but they always ended up warping way before ever wearing out. That car and the LS430 are the only cars I ever had the problem with.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The key is we have an AMG vehicle.

When I replace my fronts I'll do FEC.

Ordering basic rotors is rough. Had a deal on rear rotors but they were oversized for "limo/bullet proof" applications. Wasn't clear in the description. They were a couple mm too big. O'reilleys actually gave me the right rear ones after they ordered them.

Fronts though...like I said. FEC.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is a weird one -- the trunk worked first thing this morning when I drove to get inspection renewed. Didn't test central locking. When I came back 30min later, I thought I heard it click, but the trunk didn't open.
Maybe it is the battery. At least it passed inspection no problem.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Like I said we have different yet similar models and I'm tossing out ideas.

I never got the "Aux battery low" warning message on mine. Just one day I was like "why aren't the doors or trunk working" type thing.

edit: And just to add, I knew the day was coming based on the date sticker on the battery. Dang thing lasted far longer than I expected (like 7 years). So knowing that is how I figured it was the battery causing the wonky stuff. And my god it is bitch to replace.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 3, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Looks like W220 only has the one battery: https://w220.ee/Battery
That one should be decently fresh, since I replaced it to move the car for the tow, and then drove it a few hundred miles as the symptoms presented.

No surprise that a luxury car is a huge juice hog:
"Even in sleep mode, W220 has many consumers which can cause W220 battery being discharged in a few weeks. If you are out of town for over a week, you should hook up a charger to the battery and use a timer to kick it on for about one hour daily."

Even mostly highway, I averaged 15mpg driving back from VT. So hogly on the other juice, too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ok, after several iterations of soak in Goo-gone and scrape, I had the B-pillar cleared off. Stupidly forgot to get a picture, but it's painted back there, and to Mercedes' credit, there wasn't even a hint of fade on the uncovered paint. I gouged a few spots with my razor and did a mediocre job touching up with clear coat, but I did do it. I would have gone slower if I were keeping the car longer, but I've got that sell before something else blows energy.

New rubber seal at the top is noticeably newer:

I also managed to shove it 1mm deeper down.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

Ok, after several iterations of soak in Goo-gone and scrape, I had the B-pillar cleared off. Stupidly forgot to get a picture, but it's painted back there, and to Mercedes' credit, there wasn't even a hint of fade on the uncovered paint. I gouged a few spots with my razor and did a mediocre job touching up with clear coat, but I did do it. I would have gone slower if I were keeping the car longer, but I've got that sell before something else blows energy.

New rubber seal at the top is noticeably newer:

I also managed to shove it 1mm deeper down.

Looks better 1mm down. Get some more and make them match.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

That one should be decently fresh, since I replaced it to move the car for the tow, and then drove it a few hundred miles as the symptoms presented.

"Even in sleep mode, W220 has many consumers which can cause W220 battery being discharged in a few weeks. If you are out of town for over a week, you should hook up a charger to the battery and use a timer to kick it on for about one hour daily."

Even mostly highway, I averaged 15mpg driving back from VT. So hogly on the other juice, too.

Crazy thing is they can drain the battery in 1/2 hour when doing long DAS procedures. Need a Ceton 50 ampre type stuff to keep up with it. My el-cheapo charger couldn't keep up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Just noticed the top seal of the applique on the passenger front door is missing, though the rest of the cover is fine.

This morning, the trunk worked, and so did soft close.
Coming back a few hours later, trunk worked, but soft close didn't. It's just working enough that I haven't bothered to dig out the STAR laptop to try to figure it all out (and to turn off the A service reminder message).

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

kimbo305 posted:

So I got the two and the little one up front is the one im supposed to jump start poo poo with. Tried to get the 325 going the other day and nothing happened.
Pretty funny and annoying at the same time. Maybe I need thicker jump leads.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Automotive Insanity > Got a quarter tank of gas, in my new S-class... but I've got that sell before something else blows energy

:v:

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
My 2005 E320 is getting close to 250k miles, and just to keep it rolling, I'm looking at about a grand of work. I've been looking around for my next car, and this thread has placed brain worms into me.

What's the general quick opinion about this ride?

https://www.ipacket.info/156B5061-DE9B-5CD5-F1EEF0E5530586A2

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

GPF posted:

My 2005 E320 is getting close to 250k miles, and just to keep it rolling, I'm looking at about a grand of work. I've been looking around for my next car, and this thread has placed brain worms into me.

What's the general quick opinion about this ride?

https://www.ipacket.info/156B5061-DE9B-5CD5-F1EEF0E5530586A2
I know nothing about them, but jesus, is that all those go for? That's massive depreciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Krakkles posted:

I know nothing about them, but jesus, is that all those go for? That's massive depreciation.

Yep. The depreciation curve is...impressive. That's the only way I can afford to get one. Believe me, I'd love to get a new Merc. I'd also love to get a kidney. I'll get one of those before I end up with a new Merc.