Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Goast posted:

figuring out how to make cheap low quality cuts of meat edible is one of the few things I'm actually good at :shrug:

Relevant Tangent posted:

but enough about your dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
jumping out of an herb garden, nude, your business elegantly plated and garnished with sprigs of dill.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Any recommendations on modern weird fiction in a Lovecraftian type of setting? Not necessarily Mythos stuff, but I'm not opposed. Eldritch horrors from beyond, secrets man was not meant to know, hosed up cults devoted to ancient and incomprehensible evils, that kind of thing.

I have a couple of collections of Cthulhu Mythos stories on my Kindle, but that's about it.

Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff. One of the best books I've read in years.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if you want cosmic horror, well, the arctic is on fire.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Any recommendations on modern weird fiction in a Lovecraftian type of setting? Not necessarily Mythos stuff, but I'm not opposed. Eldritch horrors from beyond, secrets man was not meant to know, hosed up cults devoted to ancient and incomprehensible evils, that kind of thing.

I have a couple of collections of Cthulhu Mythos stories on my Kindle, but that's about it.

For a really different take on Lovecraftian stuff, check out Winter Tide by Ruthanna Emrys.

A short story prequel is available to read here.

EDIT: VVVV Last page, champ. VVVV

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Jul 23, 2019

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
gaiman has a decent short story a study in emerald where the lovecraftian horrors are real and control victorian english society as the royal and noble familys.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Still laughing at the cursed images thread:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sp.... Spongebob Squarepants?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

snergle posted:

gaiman has a decent short story a study in emerald where the lovecraftian horrors are real and control victorian english society as the royal and noble familys.
Grant Morrison did practically the same thing in The Invisibles years before, but then pretty much every fantasy/horror writer has to the point where it's almost its own genre.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Grant Morrison did practically the same thing in The Invisibles years before, but then pretty much every fantasy/horror writer has to the point where it's almost its own genre.

And also real life, it turns out.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And also real life, it turns out.

drat it, I wanted to say that. Efb etc

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lemniscate Blue posted:

For a really different take on Lovecraftian stuff, check out Winter Tide by Ruthanna Emrys.

A short story prequel is available to read here.

EDIT: VVVV Last page, champ. VVVV

This is really good. :stare:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

snergle posted:

Was there a drawn out fight scene where the main character forces his friend to put on the Opera glasses?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The elves are kind of cool and having to deal with them and their status as of the end of the book almost made me feel sorry for fictional Theresa May. Still glad they've got a less cartoonishly-evil PM now in the series.

I'm requoting this because I don't want to let slide a pretty good burn on Teresa May. (In the books we were talking about, the current PM, replacing the fictional Brexiteer, is an avatar of Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos)

E: so apparently Boris Johnson was just confirmed as the actual new PM, so much for less cartoonishly evil

Phy has a new favorite as of 13:19 on Jul 23, 2019

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Silverstein was just a huge weird stoner, I'd be amazed if he ever did anything worse than tons of LSD.

He wrote marijuana fairy tales

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVfE_-ZJAxc

I've never suspected that he was anything but awesome to hang out with

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

huge weird beardos smokin' weed

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Was there a drawn out fight scene where the main character forces his friend to put on the Opera glasses?

lol

no, it follows characters who work for The Queen, a detective and his friend, a veteran and doctor.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Zack "Front Page" Parsons wrote an entire novel, Untitled Document, as a parody of the cthulhuian goth horror sci fi apocalypse genres then published it chapter-by-chapter as Front Page articles. I am not going to say that it is without significant flaws, but it really has its moments. The last half of the first chapter got me hooked.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Aston posted:

were they going at...swastika miles per hour?

DandyLion posted:

Its 45 but same thing

:aaa:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Syd Midnight posted:

Zack "Front Page" Parsons wrote an entire novel, Untitled Document, as a parody of the cthulhuian goth horror sci fi apocalypse genres then published it chapter-by-chapter as Front Page articles. I am not going to say that it is without significant flaws, but it really has its moments. The last half of the first chapter got me hooked.

Jesus, I forgot about Untitled Document. His actual published novel, Liminal States is good but loving weird. It's about a cave in the desert that two assholes who hate each other find during the wild west era that basically causes you to respawn when you die, except occasionally an extra you also comes out. Then it's a noir where a bunch of clones of these characters are trying to keep their existence under wraps while hating each other, and then a dystopian future setting where the world is overrun with endless duplicates of these two shitheads. Also a transdimensional cicada monster is involved.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

A Major Fucker posted:

Is it legal to walk around in public boner? Does it depend on how embarrassed you look?

Mr Enderby posted:

De minimis non curat lex

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Syd Midnight posted:

Didn't he also write something about an inmate in a prison that is slowly being taken over by unspeakable, otherworldly beings? Don't know why I remember that after all these years. I liked it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

:drat:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Didn't he also write something about an inmate in a prison that is slowly being taken over by unspeakable, otherworldly beings? Don't know why I remember that after all these years. I liked it.

CONEX Convict Connections

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

We're slightly past the Mieville chat, but since it was brought up, here's the blog post stating he was an abuser/exploiter/stalker of women in the field:

http://bidisha-online.blogspot.com/2012/12/emotional-violence-and-social-power.html

It doesn't mention him by name any longer due to apparent legal threats, but here's a different blog confirming it's meant to be about Mieville.

https://pearwaldorf.tumblr.com/post/174000008577/content-warning-for-china-mieville-i-was

Also I'm one of those for whom PSS was my first (only) Mieville book and it was good but not enough so to make me seek out any of his other works :shrug:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i really liked the conex articles

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Baron von Eevl posted:

Jesus, I forgot about Untitled Document. His actual published novel, Liminal States is good but loving weird. It's about a cave in the desert that two assholes who hate each other find during the wild west era that basically causes you to respawn when you die, except occasionally an extra you also comes out. Then it's a noir where a bunch of clones of these characters are trying to keep their existence under wraps while hating each other, and then a dystopian future setting where the world is overrun with endless duplicates of these two shitheads. Also a transdimensional cicada monster is involved.

Here’s the Wikipedia for anyone who wants more info

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liminal_States

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

These have been my favorite front page articles.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

quote:

You were a covered in swastikas and pentagrams looking for a way out of W-Block with your friend. I was the guy in the cape made from yogurt tops stitched together. I shewed you to the hatch to X-Block. You dared threw it open and your compatriot stood nearest.

Can you remember what we saw? I do not. Only the vaguest sense of things moving. Things that should not be. Huge and old things. They took away your friend and left only pile of dust and hairs and broken shiv blades. Do you remember the smell? A perfumed oil and sweetly rotted meat. It still clings to the tiny hairs in my nostrils.

I want to go back there with you. It calls to me. Go back with me. I feel we can never be whole until we know what it is exactly waiting on the other side of the hatch to X-Block.

I will also jack you off if you want.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

We're slightly past the Mieville chat, but since it was brought up, here's the blog post stating he was an abuser/exploiter/stalker of women in the field:

http://bidisha-online.blogspot.com/2012/12/emotional-violence-and-social-power.html

It doesn't mention him by name any longer due to apparent legal threats, but here's a different blog confirming it's meant to be about Mieville.

https://pearwaldorf.tumblr.com/post/174000008577/content-warning-for-china-mieville-i-was

Also I'm one of those for whom PSS was my first (only) Mieville book and it was good but not enough so to make me seek out any of his other works :shrug:

Wow, first Stephen King murdered John Lennon and now this. You just can't trust genre fiction authors.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah I have no idea if it is true or plausible or anything, I just remembered reading it a while back and nobody else posted it.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i love these

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sleeveless posted:

Wow, first Stephen King murdered John Lennon and now this. You just can't trust genre fiction authors.

Stephen King can't be an assassin, he doesn't use his middle name.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

:vince:

the combination of JO buds and Lovecraft is just loving hitting me just right

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

This was the first post in the thread and it loving owned.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Kenning posted:

This was the first post in the thread and it loving owned.

For some stupid reason Latin jokes always make me giggle like an idiot.

the law doesn't care about trifling things basically

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Samovar posted:

Doc Brown's first name in Back to the Future is time spelled backwards.

SLOSifl posted:

Go back in time and learn to spell.

Samovar posted:

Fine, specifically it's a homophone for time spelled backwards

Amoeba102 posted:

Emit Brown is just what you'd do if you discovered time travel for real.

Big Grunty Secret has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Jul 24, 2019

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
In response to a story about a guy demanding a refund on some ceramic coasters he broke:

teen witch posted:

2.5 MegaKarens detected

tactlessbastard posted:

not great, not terrible

Barudak posted:

<man in control room who directly looked at the ceramics now has a blond bob haircut>

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Syd Midnight posted:

He wrote marijuana fairy tales

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVfE_-ZJAxc

I've never suspected that he was anything but awesome to hang out with

I have a friend whose dad used to be a part of the NYC jazz scene in the 60s/70s and knew Shel pretty well. Can confirm (third hand) his awesomeness.

He also wrote the lyrics for most of the songs by Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show - including "Cover of The Rolling Stone" which basically skyrockets him into the stratosphere of coolness.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Waiting for the "more like Pedo Street Station, huh?" to sweep the internet like a wave.

(I liked Mieville's run on Dial H. I'll practice death of the author with no regret.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

Waiting for the "more like Pedo Street Station, huh?" to sweep the internet like a wave.

(I liked Mieville's run on Dial H. I'll practice death of the author with no regret.)

it's that or read things by women