Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

BiggerBoat posted:

god this gonna suck

Only way I can think of to make a Terminator movie interesting is to have it just go back further in time and make it a period piece of sorts. Civil War, WW2, the 70's...the great depression, prohibition gangster era. This looks loving horrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFxMgJw6KRk

Stairmaster posted:

i hope james cameron still has the balls to show a bunch of police officers getting loving killed en masse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxVVaTXr4FM&t=130s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neo Rasa posted:

The trailer plays like it's just a comedy movie starring Martin Short with no relation to The Terminator and then like halfway through out of nowhere we get a goatse.cx ish zoom into is rear end where a tiny Edward Furlong is in hiding as the Terminator theme starts playing.

Osmosis Jones shared universe.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

hosed up that a killbot from the future understands the value of the laborer better than humanity

Stairmaster posted:

i hope james cameron still has the balls to show a bunch of police officers getting loving killed en masse

:same:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Those police officers were literally Nazis.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh but those were all Hydra, just boring Nazis, not regular American fash.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cameron didn’t have the balls to kill cops in T2

Except like two cops the t-1000 killed

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
A period piece Terminater would probably still have to end with the good guys winning, which then means that a motherfucking badass killing machine from the future was chumped by, I dunno, a Renaissance painter and their unlikely ally, a funny leper.

Which I guess helps to establish why Skynet lost the war. It got in one lucky shot with the nukes and then spent the next 20 years loving up every possible strategic decision.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the terminator had to follow john's orders.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Tenzarin posted:

Here's the thing about a lot of actual cops in 2019...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Osmosis Jones shared universe.

I'm putting together an organelle

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Wild T posted:

You enjoyed The Crow: Wicked Prayer?

And Brainscan?

LOL

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Brainscan was dope as gently caress actually.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
All the buzz about Edward Furlong being back as John Connor is incredibly sad when you remember that, based on the leaks, he dies like five minutes in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stairmaster posted:

According to leaks... Half credit. They're Mexican cops.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

All the buzz about Edward Furlong being back as John Connor is incredibly sad when you remember that, based on the leaks, he dies like five minutes in.

You never know, maybe they will have John Conner be the terminator this time.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I saw the extended scenes hype trailer with James Cameron promoting the movie and Linda Hamilton saying "Motherfucker" :rolleyes: and nothing has improved my feelings about the movie, if anything the whole production feels more cringey now that they seem to be sincere about this trash. So it's Rated R now, big deal. Rated R is cool when it's utilized well and for dramatic effect. This seems like a R that's for 13 year old boys to sneak into and giggle at the goofy cursing and violence.

I hate that Sarah Connors has become the typical Hollywood ultra stoic and cocky action hero that's unphased by explosions and the gravity of the situation around her. If anything, being in her 60s now, it'd have been way more interesting if she came off as a reluctant hero who's extremely human and actually still afraid of the crazy Terminator poo poo happening around her.

It doesn't help that her reaction to the new Terminator who can split in two is indifference or mild annoyance as she launches a rocket at it. How are we, the potential audience, supposed to feel compelled to want to watch this thing terrorize a new victim/hero when the in-universe characters barely seem to have any emotional reaction to it. Are they even afraid of it? It's getting owned in almost every clip they show.

Man, it's funny because the movie could end up being good, but it's got one of the least appealing trailers I can remember for a big blockbuster franchise.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

You never know, maybe they will have John Conner be the terminator this time.

This would never work.

Violator
May 15, 2003

iamsosmrt posted:

I saw the extended scenes hype trailer with James Cameron promoting the movie and Linda Hamilton saying "Motherfucker" :rolleyes: and nothing has improved my feelings about the movie, if anything the whole production feels more cringey now that they seem to be sincere about this trash. So it's Rated R now, big deal. Rated R is cool when it's utilized well and for dramatic effect. This seems like a R that's for 13 year old boys to sneak into and giggle at the goofy cursing and violence.

I hate that Sarah Connors has become the typical Hollywood ultra stoic and cocky action hero that's unphased by explosions and the gravity of the situation around her. If anything, being in her 60s now, it'd have been way more interesting if she came off as a reluctant hero who's extremely human and actually still afraid of the crazy Terminator poo poo happening around her.

It doesn't help that her reaction to the new Terminator who can split in two is indifference or mild annoyance as she launches a rocket at it. How are we, the potential audience, supposed to feel compelled to want to watch this thing terrorize a new victim/hero when the in-universe characters barely seem to have any emotional reaction to it. Are they even afraid of it? It's getting owned in almost every clip they show.

Man, it's funny because the movie could end up being good, but it's got one of the least appealing trailers I can remember for a big blockbuster franchise.

I honestly don't think now is the time for a heroine to be scared of the (robot) men that are trying to control and kill her. Neither for the times we live in or the evolution of the character that we saw in T2.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It doesn't help that the new Halloween movie out Sarah Connored the Terminator movies.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Don't the same leaks say that it picks up immediately after T2? So 42-year old Furlong will be playing a 12-year old again?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Violator posted:

I honestly don't think now is the time for a heroine to be scared of the (robot) men that are trying to control and kill her. Neither for the times we live in or the evolution of the character that we saw in T2.

I'd settle for mild concern.

Seriously, Sarah Connors in T2 was very badass. But she also had groundings in reality, allowing her to express shock and fear while still standing up for herself. I think it's a big reason why that movie is as compelling and timeless as it is. Sci-fi aside, it feels very realistic and believable.

I probably wouldn't be that critical if the movie didn't seem like it was taking itself so seriously, but it does.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Who is the actor that plays the new terminator anyway, I feel like they're tryna recreate the success they had with Robert Patrick, since he was a skinny guy that nobody knew too, but he also brought a level gravitas to his performance thst I'm not really seeing with the new guy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

-Blackadder- posted:

Who is the actor that plays the new terminator anyway, I feel like they're tryna recreate the success they had with Robert Patrick, since he was a skinny guy that nobody knew too, but he also brought a level gravitas to his performance thst I'm not really seeing with the new guy.

Gabriel Luna, who played Ghost Rider on Agents of SHIELD (and is getting a spin off on Hulu)

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
What if they did a Terminator that was even more bogged down in the time travel problems so if it killed the wrong redshirt in pursuit of it's target it would inadvertently gently caress the Skynet timeline up in different ways. It would probably be a poo poo movie but an interesting concept.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A Terminator is sent back in time but instead of outright killing John Connor gives him a debilitating illness that will eventually kill him decades from now in old age, the Terminator not really having a sense of time about it, being a machine and all

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bacon Terrorist posted:

What if they did a Terminator that was even more bogged down in the time travel problems so if it killed the wrong redshirt in pursuit of it's target it would inadvertently gently caress the Skynet timeline up in different ways. It would probably be a poo poo movie but an interesting concept.

This would actually be pretty interesting if done right, like the unlike the way the Terminator usually rolls it would HAVE to blend into human society pretty well, and for a much longer time frame, to set up killing John Connor in a way that doesn't mess with anything else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Supposedly, Dark Fate isn't too far from this. Most of the movie isn't about Skynet - history's been changed, Skynet will never happen. Well done. Now there's a completely different AI in the future named Legion seeking to kill the leader of the human resistance against it by sending a terminator back in time, and now the Connors et al are derailed into trying to help protect Legion's target.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Turns out that security guard dropped the winning full house coffee cup was picked up by a random janitor whose life changed from the considerable winnings with which they raised the hero of Dark Fate.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Supposedly, Dark Fate isn't too far from this. Most of the movie isn't about Skynet - history's been changed, Skynet will never happen. Well done. Now there's a completely different AI in the future named Legion seeking to kill the leader of the human resistance against it by sending a terminator back in time, and now the Connors et al are derailed into trying to help protect Legion's target.

lol i hope this is true.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol i hope this is true.

According to the leak, Legion is also a much more topical take on an evil AI than Skynet. Rather than a supercomputer in control of nukes for fear of the Soviets, Legion was born from an anti-terrorist surveillance state and drone network that got sentient and deemed all humans and human civilizations likely terrorists to eliminate.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Cythereal posted:

According to the leak, Legion is also a much more topical take on an evil AI than Skynet. Rather than a supercomputer in control of nukes for fear of the Soviets, Legion was born from an anti-terrorist surveillance state and drone network that got sentient and deemed all humans and human civilizations likely terrorists to eliminate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t58sK2GRwXA

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cythereal posted:

better than a virus or operating system. but it's still silly/dumb to get rid of the main villain and i hope this movie is as dumb as genesys.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Lol. Absolutely biting post 9/11 commentary!

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

iamsosmrt posted:

I'd settle for mild concern.

Seriously, Sarah Connors in T2 was very badass. But she also had groundings in reality, allowing her to express shock and fear while still standing up for herself. I think it's a big reason why that movie is as compelling and timeless as it is. Sci-fi aside, it feels very realistic and believable.

I probably wouldn't be that critical if the movie didn't seem like it was taking itself so seriously, but it does.

T2 Sarah Connor was awesome because she could switch it on or off. Just watch the scene where they rescue her from the mental institution. She goes from cold, emotionless and calculating, to rage, back to cold, to sheer pants-making GBS threads terror, to maternal concern, then back to business in about a 15 minute scene.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

But you repeat yourself! :downsrim:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cythereal posted:

Meet the new DOS, same as the old DOS.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

It doesn't help that the new Halloween movie out Sarah Connored the Terminator movies.

I was thinking this exact same thing just now. Completely agree

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

wow ive heard goons gush about this sequence for years and never watched it until now and i gotta say its lame as hell

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a lot of people loved the sarah connor chronicles but i thought it was lovely (i'd put the terminator and t2 both in my top 5 films for reference). like with every post-t2 entry in the franchise it (to me) was made by people that didn't "get" terminator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I feel like TSCC is the sequel that is most true to ideas raised by Terminator 2. But, of course, I did a whole TV/IV thread about it. Overall, it's a pretty janky show with some truly dire episodes in the second season but all the concepts it plays with are basically developments of ideas raised in T2. One of the more bizarre things about Genisys is that it took the ideas in TSCC and did them poorly.