Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
In case anyone doesn't want to wait for MG Barbatos Lupus, third parties have you covered: http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/spider-crab-Barbatos-metal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm glad I've built a lot of models because the instruction manual for the pg zeta is goddamn ridiculous. By far the most complicated chest I've ever seen.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Sangoku Soketsuden line owns so much. You can combine the Lu Bu Sinaju with the Diao Chan Kyshatriya to make the Nightingale

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I'm definitely going to have to pick up some of that line. They're gorgeous designs and look fun to hand paint.

Also does anyone have any tips/methods for panel lining in gold? Figure it'll look nice on the Banshee.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Lu Bu Sinaju

Well, there's a name that lends itself nicely to stadium cheers

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Has anyone gotten their Rexs yet?

Amazon says I should have gotten it yesterday, so today I sent the seller a message asking for the tracking info.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blackchamber posted:

Has anyone gotten their Rexs yet?

Amazon says I should have gotten it yesterday, so today I sent the seller a message asking for the tracking info.

Mine is expected by today. I guess if it doesn't show up I'll contact the seller, but at this point the most I expect is a refund

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

the seller emailed me back. They say their account was compromised and fraudulent merchandise was listed and sold. They sad they'd be refunding me asap.

Edit: and refunded.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 26, 2019

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Was that from Shoestring Media? I just noticed a kit I am waiting on was from them and it's about time for it to be arriving.
Not the Metal Gear, just a Vual Gundam IBO kit. Very cheap, but not unbelievably so. I picked up a Asteroth from a different seller for the same price a few weeks ago, no problem.

Incidentally, you guys are a bad influence. I haven't built a kit since college (nevermind how long ago that was), but I started reading this thread when there was no action in any of the other threads I keep up with. You know, just to see what's going on in the wonderful world of Gunpla.

Now I've got a new backlog of about 10 kits, I'm wishlisting things on Amazon, hitting up Barnes & Noble and Hobby Town, and sniffing around HLJ again. I can't even find my box of modeling supplies from the last move!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

So went to local gunpla group. One guy told me that he's thousands of dollars in credit card debt due to him buying dozens of kits and the other told me that he still lives with his parents, who are getting pissed off at the amount of money he spends on this hobby. He's bought at least 2 perfect grades for $300 plus in the last 3-4 months.

Just.... Just don't let the joke of this hobby being "plastic crack" become a depressing reality guys.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 26, 2019

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's the back log that kills most people.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Monaghan posted:

So went to local gunpla group. One guy told me that he's thousands of dollars in credit card debt due to him buying dozens of kits and the other told me that he still lives with his parents, who are getting pissed off at the amount of money he spends on this hobby. He's bought at least 2 perfect grades for $300 plus in the last 3-4 months.

Just.... Just don't the joke of this hobby being "plastic crack" become a depressing reality guys.

One of the more earth shattering realizations I've had is that most of my hobbies (gunpla, retrogames, vinyl records) are shared with those kinds of people. I'm very grateful I haven't fallen into a trap like that. Or gained a bunch of weight or gone bald, which also seems to happen a lot with people in my hobbies.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Honestly, compared to other hobbies and in general, gunpla is pretty cheap, even if you go full airbrush/compressor/booth. It just has a lot of overlap with people on the lower end of the income spectrum.

Think about how many people are into cars in general (another hobby of mine) — that poo poo will eat you alive comparitively and yet generations of people have been pursuing Weird Hobby Passion Dream

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah, gunpla is super cheap compared to a bunch of hobbies. The trick is not buying literally everything as it comes out because for 99% of the hobby stuff will be available forever. I'm having to pack all my poo poo up and I've only got a backlog of like 7 kits which ain't so bad, it's all the other poo poo that's killing me.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
PG Unicorn Gundam done. Weapons will be later:

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I was at a Big Lots today for some odds & ends and decided to glance at their toy section for some Transformers BotBots. I definitely did not expect to find this:

This must have been deep in their stock room for almost two decades. It's gonna need a looot of work to look halfway decent. The white plastic has a GM-like blue tint to it. Still, not bad for $2. I just wish they had unearthed some MSiA with it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

this thread already got me all excited for an 11 dollar Rex I'm not gonna recieve, I'm not going to let it trick me into going to Big Lots to look for 15 year old Gundams

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Its not even the first time I've had that happen at that store. A few years ago they randomly had a Rogue from the old 1992 ToyBiz X-Men line. I want to go spelunking in their storage.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

It's kind of dumb how the Real Grade Perfect Strike is P-Bandai only and then it's not an add on pack like the RG Banshee Armed Armour. It's the base kit + the weapon packs and no sky grasper, with the only new parts being the joints and battery pack.

Is there a third party doing just those additional parts?

Kao_Pai
Mar 25, 2003
MG RX-77-2 Guncannon certified pre-owned

image gallery https://imgur.com/gallery/6nfdgJl

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
wow that's real good

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/highrunder/status/1155289287560065025

https://twitter.com/SENTINELcoltd/status/1155287881788715008

wonfes apocalypse is back

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I'd be hype for that GGGG if it wasn't for the fact that it's Sentinel which means it'll be $400 US at minimum.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

In case anyone doesn't know, that's not a drink.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

In case anyone doesn't know, that's not a drink.

Well gee golly, what is it then?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Kao_Pai posted:

MG RX-77-2 Guncannon certified pre-owned

image gallery https://imgur.com/gallery/6nfdgJl

Wow, that weathering is great! How did you do the rust spots on the chrome parts?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Blackchamber posted:

Well gee golly, what is it then?

gently caress egg robo

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Barnes and Noble are having a sale on Gunpla 25% off and you can also use the discount code SUNNYDAYS for another 10% off, they have the RG Sazabi for a really good price

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toys-games-29-sazabi-chars-counterattack-bandai-rg-1-144/32539534?ean=4549660303633

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

EthanSteele posted:

gently caress egg robo

Do not gently caress your gunpla

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

Do not gently caress your gunpla

Gunpla is freedom. Cumpla!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm excited for these Braves.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bluefin decided to blow off Otakon this year so we’ll see what happens with the GBWC qualifier. If it was there I didn’t find it.

Kao_Pai
Mar 25, 2003

Well Manicured Man posted:

Wow, that weathering is great! How did you do the rust spots on the chrome parts?

All of the lightly corroded spots on grey sections like the backpack, joints, feet, etc are a bunch of layers and then some tinting with Tamiya Weathering Master at the end-
Vallejo acrylic primer -> Vallejo Metallic Steel -> Tamiya Semigloss TS-79 -> Vallejo water-based chipping medium -> Tamiya grey blend -> use water to break through spots of grey -> Tamiya Semigloss TS-79 -> Tamiya black panel line and Tamiya Weathering Master soot and copper colors -> Tamiya Flat TS-80

For the red body panels things got a little out of hand-
Vallejo acrylic primer -> Vallejo Metallic Steel -> Tamiya Semigloss TS-79 -> Vallejo water-based chipping medium -> Tamiya dark red blend -> use water to break through spots of dark red -> Tamiya Semigloss TS-79 -> Vallejo water-based chipping medium -> Tamiya light red blend-> use water to break through spots of light red -> Tamiya Semigloss TS-79 -> black panel line and Tamiya Weathering Master soot and copper colors -> Tamiya Flat TS-80

The rocket pods follow the same painting steps as the first, just using Vallejo Metallic Rust as the base color, and a super thick coat of chipping medium in certain spots so that the water in the next step would lift sections of white paint to create cracks and fissures. Vallejo rust wash and metallic light rust for the seeping rust stains.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
RG Nu went up for preorder on banzai hobby.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Gripweed posted:

That first promo pic looks cool, but before I form an opinion I need to check the most important feature...

Garbage. Absolute garbage.

Why would they bother with any articulation when 100% of fans are going to pose that thing standing with its arms crossed.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Tythas posted:

Barnes and Noble are having a sale on Gunpla 25% off and you can also use the discount code SUNNYDAYS for another 10% off, they have the RG Sazabi for a really good price

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toys-games-29-sazabi-chars-counterattack-bandai-rg-1-144/32539534?ean=4549660303633

God drat already out of stock on that Sazabi :( I been waiting for a good deal on it too

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Thanks for the tip tho, ended up spending money I didn't have, :shepspends:

Also the coupon was expired by this pt but I was able to get 10% off with the coupon JULY10 for any other degenerates out there

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Works for other Bandai stuff, too - I got a Y-wing on the 25% off + 10% JULY10 coupon for like $26, gonna pick it up later today.

Speaking of Y-wings, is it kosher to post Star Wars kits in this thread or should that go over to the conventional scale modeling thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What's the name of that one Federation grunt suit everyone keeps saying has a really good MG kit again?