Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itsmybirthday_2day
Jun 4, 2019
its kinda crazy that we're just kinda stepping out of a 20 year old period where every game had to feature some crafting mechanic, right? hoo boy. those were dark times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Great Crafting Plague was definitely a trend that I did not like.

Just shove over-complicated crafting systems that end up being either semi-mandatory or totally pointless is every single game of every genre for a few years. Real killer idea there.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

still better than the brown era

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait did we stop slapping crafting in everything because that seems to still be everywhere

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

itsmybirthday_2day posted:

its kinda crazy that we're just kinda stepping out of a 20 year old period where every game had to feature some crafting mechanic, right? hoo boy. those were dark times.

who needs crafting systems. they only serve to distract from the micro-transaction shop

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what about like a basic system with multilinear upgrades for your one weapon and one armor is that crafting or is that just upgrading, and is there a difference

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Crafting could have been cool, but most/all crafting ended up just being an extra step between killing a guy (or progressing to a plot point) and getting the reward.

Like, how is it better for you to, instead of grabbing a sword from a treasure chest behind the monster you slayed, get a rock from the monster that you turn into a sword from a menu.

A lot of RPGs have crafting, and it's like req'd materials are: 1x Iron Ore (bought at a merchant), 1x Log (bought at a merchant), 1x Star Tooth of Grog-ma-gog (dropped directly from boss). Wha-- why even exist?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jokes posted:

Like, how is it better for you to, instead of grabbing a sword from a treasure chest behind the monster you slayed, get a rock from the monster that you turn into a sword from a menu.

well if you have just the one sword, and it's the only thing you use, and that's what you upgrade and that only, then that's Your Dude's Signature Weapon yknow?

also you don't have to program equipment slot swapping

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Games don't really do that with crafting though.

I'd appreciate that system more, but it's rare. Usually you just trash your old poo poo.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

hawowanlawow posted:

I know, right, all those scary horror games?!

Pants budget went through the roof.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

God of War is that system, down to the level system being all that matters not the actual gear perks.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

If getting a stronger weapon requires getting a certain number of items off monster drops or treasure chests or something, it's upgrading and it's fine.

If it requires picking goddamn flowers or scraping bark off trees or breaking down other equipment to get metal and leather straps or stupid poo poo like that, it's crafting and it should die and the people responsible for it should be caned.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I dropped off that first Tomb Raider reboot around the time you had to craft stuff and upgrade fireplaces and stuff. I dunno why people thought finding boxes of scrap metal would feel rewarding, and everything else about the game was pretty mind numbing

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

hot take: crafting systems can absolutely be good but they require the correct balance of tradeoffs to actually be fun, like in soulsborne games you're probably going to have a bad time going through with an unupgraded weapon but you'll generally have a hard time easily getting crafting materials to get more than one thing to overpowering levels for the area you're currently in. in addition, you'll get boss stuff that can be crafted into one of two things, kind of molding your playstyle - or you could just eat the boss souls like a moron and spend them on arrows or something

most crafting systems are totally abysmal and gently caress with any kind of power curve a game has, though

once more an honorable mention goes to mega man legends where the crafting system is "hey, remember that broken flashlight, laser pointer, and vacuum cleaner you found inexplicably underground? i made it into a lightsaber, grab that power drill, i'm gonna bolt this fucker to your arm."

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
crafting in dark souls and bloodborne is "a lovely piece of gently caress"1 because whenever you find a new weapon you have to go farm materials or the souls to buy materials for an hour to bring it up to your current weapon's strength and have it be at all viable
so instead of being "cool, a weird new weapon, maybe i'll roll with that for a bit" it ends up: "cool, a weird new weapon. it does 20 damage right now compared to the 200 i'm dealing with my standard sword +6 and i don't have any titanite shards so i guess i won't be using it"

1. Rolfe, J. "The Angry Nintendo Nerd," 2007

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Barudak posted:

God of War is that system, down to the level system being all that matters not the actual gear perks.

Are you sure you played GoW? Upgrading your weapons and armor with new skills is the primary element of the game and is done with traditional crafting mechanics. The only thing your level influences is your base stats like any other game.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

536 posted:

Dire,Dire,Docks is the best piece of video game music ever and its not even really close.

I can play it on piano, it's a lot of fun to play :)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

The brown era only existed for people who only played the five most popular games at any given time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bradzilla posted:

Are you sure you played GoW? Upgrading your weapons and armor with new skills is the primary element of the game and is done with traditional crafting mechanics. The only thing your level influences is your base stats like any other game.

The boost in base stats that level provides is overwhelmingly more important than any unique perk a piece of gear grants. If the difference is be one level higher and any other choice you always want one level higher.

Further your weapons are story gated for their upgrades except the very last so the fact the game pretends like you need to gather the material and choose to upgrade is just weird theatrics.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
crafting systems were originally invented to sell strategy guides, but even though everyone has the internet on their cellphone now they keep showing up in games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

crafting systems were originally invented to sell strategy guides, but even though everyone has the internet on their cellphone now they keep showing up in games.

Some sick fucks genuinely enjoy them

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Crafting is the mechanic we deserve.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I mean, the crafting system in Fallout 4 was about the only thing that was improved from 3 and New Vegas.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Been a while but here I go :

Everything I see about Fallout 4 sucks and just reminds me of the worst parts of Fallout 3.

Destiny or any loot based games are just stupid wastes of times. Bungie sold out and don't care about making solid games anymore. Same with most big game studios and developers. A modern remake of the Marathon series would own. In fact gently caress halo 4/5/6, Marathon would have been much better.

Valve are making GBS threads the bed with not making more content or episodes for Left4Dead 2. I love the modding scene but more guns or monsters would own.

I don't give a gently caress about half life 3, it's been too long.

Valve is just a stagnant atrophied lump of a company who have forgotten how to make games. Their engine based development cycle sucks.

EA just did what every other company in a capitalistic society does, people who complain need to reflect on their own ability to choose who to give money.

That gaming society and gamers and you tubers are going to be eaten alive when poo poo hits the fan climate/culture wise.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

remember when valve charged fifty fuckin dollars in 2007 for left4dead with the promise that it would get plenty of content updates, then scrapped it and released left4dead 2 barely a year later?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

remember when valve charged fifty fuckin dollars in 2007 for left4dead with the promise that it would get plenty of content updates, then scrapped it and released left4dead 2 barely a year later?

You paid 50 quid for l4D 1? Ouch.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

That sweet sweet Steam revenue has corrupted Gaben.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Valve isn't interested in making games anymore because Steam takes up way too much of their time and resources. This is a monster they created themselves and while PC gaming is better for it we also lost a quality publisher to it. Their releases since CS:GO have all been low-level projects likely delegated to whatever is left of their game publishing section to keep up appearances.

This is all me just accepting the fact Half-Life 3, Portal 3 and L4D3 will never happen. The only way this will change is if another PC digital store takes off, threatens Steam and Valve has to make quality games again to drive up memberships (which is also why I welcome the Epic Games Stores and Origins of the world).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Half Life 3 will never happen because that one dude leaked the whole story and it was dumb as hell

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Half Life 3 will never happen because that one dude leaked the whole story and it was dumb as hell

Oh thank God. For a while there I thought I was the only idiot nerd who didn't like that post.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The problem with crafting and why I generally hate it, is that it rarely adds to the game and only pans out to be a shallow, bloated time sink. I don't want to have to lug around 900 borderline worthless items and have to sit there in the menus to figure out how they are relevant to anything.

The best crafting is minimalist and has some degree of necessity to it. The Last of Us has my favorite crafting in a game, because it's streamlined with only a handful of items, and it's very clear what they can be used for. Crafting something usually involves sacrificing something else (do I make a molotov or a medkit?) so it actually feels like there is some purpose and decision making behind it. It can also be done quickly and painlessly without even opening the main menu so you aren't constantly taken out of the game.

Basically I think if you pick up an item in a game your immediate reaction should be "ooh I can use this! or "Oh cool I wonder what this is" not "oh another wolf pelt, only 75 more and I can make something I don't even need because this game is easy anyways"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bonaventure posted:

crafting in dark souls and bloodborne is "a lovely piece of gently caress"1 because whenever you find a new weapon you have to go farm materials or the souls to buy materials for an hour to bring it up to your current weapon's strength and have it be at all viable
so instead of being "cool, a weird new weapon, maybe i'll roll with that for a bit" it ends up: "cool, a weird new weapon. it does 20 damage right now compared to the 200 i'm dealing with my standard sword +6 and i don't have any titanite shards so i guess i won't be using it"

1. Rolfe, J. "The Angry Nintendo Nerd," 2007

That's not really crafting, you're literally bringing 1 thing to a vendor who gives you an item for it, and then you're upgrading it because that's what you need to do with any new thing that you want to use. Your complaint isn't about how you get the item, it's about how you need to upgrade new items for them to be as good as your old also-upgraded items

The Dark Souls system of getting some sort of weightless token from a boss instead of an item is basically fine because you usually have multiple choices of item or can also cash that token in on the spot for cash / experience (souls).

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 24, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The problem with dark souls upgrade system has always been that it forces you to commit to a build in a game where you just want to gently caress around with all of the weapons.

Did they add they ability to break weapons down in DS3 or am I imagining that? It’s something that should have been there since Demons Souls.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Justin Godscock posted:

Valve isn't interested in making games anymore because Steam takes up way too much of their time and resources. This is a monster they created themselves and while PC gaming is better for it we also lost a quality publisher to it. Their releases since CS:GO have all been low-level projects likely delegated to whatever is left of their game publishing section to keep up appearances.

This is all me just accepting the fact Half-Life 3, Portal 3 and L4D3 will never happen. The only way this will change is if another PC digital store takes off, threatens Steam and Valve has to make quality games again to drive up memberships (which is also why I welcome the Epic Games Stores and Origins of the world).

They're a multibillion dollar company, they can make time and provide resources if they want to. They just don't, because there's no way to monetize a singleplayer FPS and they make a shitton more with a few skins and minigames in the DOTA battlepass every few months than HL3 ever would. The amount of dev time it takes to create those cosmetics compared to how much money they make must be utterly, utterly insane.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

The problem with dark souls upgrade system has always been that it forces you to commit to a build in a game where you just want to gently caress around with all of the weapons.

Did they add they ability to break weapons down in DS3 or am I imagining that? It’s something that should have been there since Demons Souls.

Precisely, it's a bad design choice that Japanese developers seem to make a lot when they include an upgrade system

In the first game, they basically shouldn't have had titanite at all. Make weapon upgrades cost souls only, and the blacksmith can upgrade any weapon up to some cap determined by whatever embers you've brought to him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

personally I'd just ditch upgrading weapons from 1-10 all together. Have the weapons power increase via your build and keep the ability to add fire, cold, bleed etc.

But theres no reason you shouldn't be able to just pick a weapon up off the ground and have it not be somewhat effective. Having every weapon pickup at level 1 just means you have to waste time to make it useable and sometimes you even end up maxing a weapon out just to realize you don't even like it. Also sometimes they end up in your inventory just to be forgotten all together.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

QuarkJets posted:

That's not really crafting, you're literally bringing 1 thing to a vendor who gives you an item for it, and then you're upgrading it because that's what you need to do with any new thing that you want to use. Your complaint isn't about how you get the item, it's about how you need to upgrade new items for them to be as good as your old also-upgraded items

The Dark Souls system of getting some sort of weightless token from a boss instead of an item is basically fine because you usually have multiple choices of item or can also cash that token in on the spot for cash / experience (souls).

take it up with the guy above me who cited it as an example of a good crafting system

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

thanks for posting this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Crafting systems make some sense in open world building games because the whole idea is you need resources to do stuff and an incentive to explore and seek out new areas to get stuff to add to your massive dick fortress and so on. They're part of the core gameplay loop.

Everywhere else, they're just pointless busywork. (and modders can't seem to help doing their best to make them pointless busywork given every single praised mod for Minecraft, Terraria and Starbound adds incredible amounts of pointless grind and incremental steps to build anything)

That said, it's like big name publishers looked at Minecraft, saw that it was popular, and decided to incorporate all of the trappings except the actual core gameplay and concept that gets people hooked. Except maybe Dragon Quest Builders, but I'm not sold on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Do adults actually get hooked by minecraft? Its almost entirely mind numbing tedium and nothing else