Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, Stark taking Beck's genuinely impressive tech, renaming it BARF and belittling it in front of an invited audience is really, really lovely.

Yeah, but it's not just that - it's that Stark Insustries naturally selects for shitheads with god complexes who would take that sort of humiliation in the absolute worst way, and indeed don't need any sort of instigating trigger to go supervillain because they do not live in a world that values people (see also, Obadiah Stane). FFH is about a guy who gave a city-demolishing army to a teenager so he could remain the king of the world by proxy, and it's about the sorts of people who would end up working for that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

JordanKai posted:

The Doom Slayer is a perfect representation of western imperialism. He's a genocidal maniac who occasionally manages to be a hero by complete happenstance, and even then the morality of it all is a bit muddy.

:911:

Doomguy is extremely anticapitalist, as demonstrated by the way he irreversibly destroys the mechanisms the megacorporation uses to exploit the resources of a hell dimension

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

This thread is awful right now, let’s make it excruciating!

The deep dive crew gives Batman Vs Superman another shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39h6lxmP8Vg

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

For the most part, blockbuster movies need to have a relatively simple conflict. A single villain or villain group that can be killed or otherwise vanquished at the end in order to tie up the plot in a neat bow. That’s just the nature of this kind of film. Real social change is something that happens incrementally over the course of years or even decades; there are no easy answers or convenient lynchpin bad guys.

If you want to see a story that aims to explore the complexities of how society can change over time, movies can certainly do that. Just don’t look to Disney for it because that’s not the sort of stuff they make.

Even in real life most conflicts are simple with maybe not always a clean moral line, but at least a distinguishable one. Captain America fought Nazis, Superman fought the Klan, B'wana Beast loving killed South African cops to free anti-apartheid activists. The fact that a group of plucky orphans defending their orphanage from a top-hatted capitalist stereotype doesn't save all orphanages forever doesn't make it artistically impossible to tell the story.

The reason I'm not looking to Disney is that there are obvious material (again, not artistic) reasons they'll never make a movie about a hero fighting for social justice.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
it's pretty wild-- turns out the media properties that i enjoy are not just good, but morally good and i like to read them as being in total alignment with my political ideology; and the media properties i don't like? well, here's the weird part: they're unethical and i tend to read them as running contrary to my political ideology! sometimes truth really is stranger than fiction.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's also probably pointless to worry about it now. They set up some plot threads to continue exploring the idea that Tony Stark wasn't a hero and that the praise and hero worship was bad, but I don't have a lot of faith on them to deliver. But maybe they will.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

it's pretty wild-- turns out the media properties that i enjoy are not just good, but morally good and i like to read them as being in total alignment with my political ideology; and the media properties i don't like? well, here's the weird part: they're unethical and i tend to read them as running contrary to my political ideology! sometimes truth really is stranger than fiction.

If that was a response to me I feel I should point out that I actually like most MCU films, and a lot of superhero media in general. I’m not using blockbuster as an insult, or to imply that they're inherently lesser than other films.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Ceding popular media to center-right and far right ideology because you're too cool to take entertainment seriously is the most locker stuffer kind of nonsense imaginable

jesus loving christ lmfao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ArfJason posted:

jesus loving christ lmfao

i don't think he "got" my avatar comment

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
me ten posts before that one: drat, these dumbfucks talking about western values in doom need to have their balls flayed.

super smart internet guy who can only think of social injustices in the context of The Incredible Hulk and Jimmy Neutron: [after i attack his stupid children movies] this is some real locker stuffer bullshit that will let the Nazis win world war 4 (the one fought over the lead cast of Avengers 9)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Alaois posted:

its insane how absolutely cumbrained some people are in this website lmao

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Alaois posted:

lmao oh my god, how do you breathe without someone helping

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

lmao oh my god, how do you breathe without someone helping

you had to be probated 3 times because you would not stop screaming about how you thought a Gundam series was promoting fascist ideology, you loving TVTropes reject

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean it's mainstream anime, so it's probably at least fascist adjacent, just like super hero stuff.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Your Mileage May Vary: Some Tropers are in favor of the scene since it is said to evoke the struggle of the underclass forced to desperate measures, the oppressed snapping and having to Swipe, and Dora's chant of Swiper No Swiping as a form of oppression, while others argue it is a classic battle of Order Vs Chaos, Law vs Crime. See also Morality Play, Et Tu Thanos?, The Madness That Lies in The Human Heart, Captain America Looking at a Broken Mirror.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

get that OUT of my face posted:

Are there any interesting/funny YouTube channels that comment on sports news? I already follow UrinatingTree, so I'm interested in something else in that mold.

holy poo poo, UT is still going? I stopped following his stuff after him and Ebeeto fell into the Dead Horse Interchange hole.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

popular media will always be dominated by centrist/Republican ideology until the media conglomerates in control of it are broken up and regulated. that is accomplished by organizing politically and putting leftists into power, not by yelling at other leftists about Spider-Man

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alaois posted:

you had to be probated 3 times because you would not stop screaming about how you thought a Gundam series was promoting fascist ideology, you loving TVTropes reject

That show literally turned out to be a direct allegory for the rise and fall of Imperial Japan, complete with the protagonists getting nuked at the end, and the writing was a bit ambiguous about how you were supposed to feel about that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Alaois posted:

I had to reload the thread so I caught you editing your post one-handed while jerking off over my rap sheet, to which I say: lmao

Also: I was right, gundam unicorn and iron blooded orphans are both empty headed ur-fascist trash that show their hands through aesthetic fixation

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Augus posted:

popular media will always be dominated by centrist/Republican ideology until the media conglomerates in control of it are broken up and regulated. that is accomplished by organizing politically and putting leftists into power, not by yelling at other leftists about Spider-Man

actually lets keep doing that but also add a guillotine emoji at the end.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Did they have a literal council of evil jews trying to destroy the earth using evil foreigners like Darling and the Franks or was it just normal anime fascism?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

catastrophic global warming cannot happen soon enough

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alaois posted:

"this says a lot about society" i say, watching the episode of the 60s Spider-Man cartoon where Rhino is robbing banks of all their gold so he can make a life-sized gold statue of himself as the first step in being recognized as the ruler of the world

bullshit, the rhino is way too loving dumb to do something like that.

like i think its good to read political undercurrents and themes in media. but i think some people go way to far up their asses and try to read super detailed message into every single thing like a greek reading bird entrails.

Ghostlight posted:

hi i just want to type stuff about superhero movies

1. killmonger doesn't prompt a character change in the protagonist - the entire movie begins with tchala sitting down with his girlfriend who is out doing grassroots-assistance and having the exact discussion killmonger is credited as prompting. tchala isn't held back by his unwillingness to do anything but by his reverence for his father and the tradition he represents, a tradition he then rejects when he discovers the truth about killmonger's childhood.

2. toomes isn't working class or even blue collar. he owns a company and is introduced berating his employee for being late. he's only tangentially screwed by stark because he loses his contract not to stark industries or anything, but a brand new government agency that tony helped set up. the vulture doesn't "only go as far as he has to" out of any heroism or ideology but because he doesn't want to be punched by superheroes. his speech about eating stark's table scraps isn't genuine because he's literally shown doing the exact same thing to his own employees at the beginning of the movie - he's stark writ small.

3. spider-man has been tech-focused and financially secure several times throughout his history in comics, even explicitly run his own stark industries-style tech house.

4. infinity war was an amazing propaganda piece after the following films:
iron man: whoops turns out i'm the rear end in a top hat
iron man 2: whoa turns out being an rear end in a top hat runs in the family
iron man 3: a terrorist came out my rear end in a top hat, and it turns out i'm still an rear end in a top hat
captain america the winter soldier: your friend is a real rear end in a top hat but guess which rear end in a top hat supplied nazis with battle blimps
the avengers ago of ultron: whoops i made another rear end in a top hat
captain america civil war: nobody else is allowed to be an rear end in a top hat
spider-man homecoming: hey, don't turn out to be an rear end in a top hat like me

spider-man far from home: even in death i'm still an rear end in a top hat

yeah, most of the MCU is undoing Starks gently caress ups and or stark growing into a less lovely jadded person.

Augus posted:

like there’s never even the smallest pretense that mysterio wants to change anything, he just wants to be the next Stark. that’s not a class warrior lmao

this. he clearly says in the movie like 10 times that he just wants to be the new iron man as gently caress you too stark. like how the gently caress did the video maker miss that poo poo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

We must take media extremely seriously, otherwise it will be used to subjugate and destroy us.

This means we must argue about it endlessly on the internet, that is the only way to enact true change.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Do not even ask posted:

i just wish it didnt happen and those who furthered it/tried to downplay it would be fantastically eviscerated by minigun fire, but alas

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Augus posted:

yeah pretty much.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Did they have a literal council of evil jews trying to destroy the earth using evil foreigners like Darling and the Franks or was it just normal anime fascism?

Unicorn's inciting plot event is (((globalists))) doing a false flag on the dedication ceremony of the first ever space colony, so they could destroy evidence of a Space Bill of Rights that retroactively justified the ideological claims of Zeon, the literal space nazi villains of the original series

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

bullshit, the rhino is way too loving dumb to do something like that.

like i think its good to read political undercurrents and themes in media. but i think some people go way to far up their asses and try to read super detailed message into every single thing like a greek reading bird entrails.

same but people get so loving defensive about people making fun of their stupid rear end merchandising ads that i cant help myself

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ArfJason posted:

same but people get so loving defensive about people making fun of their stupid rear end merchandising ads that i cant help myself

yeah i get it but i can't really blame Alaois that much. i have watched/read tons of bad takes about media in the last few days and i get tired of someone finger wagging at me for enjoying super heroes because facism or whatever. sure i get where they come from and i get it

but like i am history major and i really can't find anyone in the past i can fully admire, because most people in the past are monster or at least assholes on some level, so its kinda why i like fictional heros too because you can just write them better. Like i like captain america(any version) and batman and spiderman because their are ideals/lessons i can take from them. they have issues, but sometimes i don't want to hear the Jonathan McIntosh types of the world finger wag me for liking them without fretting if i got the exact right message about masculinity or capitalism in my brain at that loving second.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 23, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

jesus christ going online must be a nightmare every day, huh

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

They went one step weirder - the main antagonist in the second season of IBO was a thinly-veiled Douglas MacArthur, who was depicted as a ruthless, almost-entirely-amoral hypocrite and a superb general who ground the protagonists into dirt with illegal superweapons when they got too big for their boots and tried to step up to him. He then cast them as villains, installed their friend and longtime financial backer as a puppet queen, made himself the supreme ruler of the solar system... and ended the oppressive aristocracy, instituted a series of much-needed reforms that made life better and fairer for millions, and let the survivors of the protagonist faction live out the rest of their lives in peace and secrecy so long as they never hosed with him again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ArfJason posted:

jesus christ going online must be a nightmare every day, huh

yes it is. So is a job search.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 23, 2019

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Are there any good channels that cover similar material as Night Mind or Nexpo or Atrocity Guide?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are there any good channels that cover similar material as Night Mind or Nexpo or Atrocity Guide?

Down the Rabbit Hole covers a vaguely similar "deep dive on weird poo poo" niche and is pretty good, but he only uploads every couple months

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NyxFears? i think she might cover the kind of stuff you're asking about.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Nightmare Masterclass I'm thinking of that's pretty good and has said some leftist stuff even, he's pretty good. But coming to think of it, he hasn't updated in a long rear end time.

Could also watch Nyx Fears or Jenny Nicolson try to read creepypasta with a straight face.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

also just one more thing

Elon Muskterio

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Do not even ask posted:

:yeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIscL-Bjsq4&hd=1

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

disney muskterios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yes it is. So is a job search.

my deepest sympathies, I cant even imagine how either a) difficult it must be to find a job or b) not get harassed by people twisting history for their absolutely stupid worldviews.