Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

on that note https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOnmiG6bxYk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Sometimes superhero movies and cartoons make me mad and I shake my fist at the heavens that allowed them to be created

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

every night I mediate for 6 hours to make the deep readings necessary to understand that Mushishi is actually fascocapitalist propaganda

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ArfJason posted:

jesus christ going online must be a nightmare every day, huh

As a history grad, I can also confirm this to be reality as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

hi i just want to type stuff about superhero movies

4. infinity war was an amazing propaganda piece after the following films:
iron man: whoops turns out i'm the rear end in a top hat
iron man 2: whoa turns out being an rear end in a top hat runs in the family
iron man 3: a terrorist came out my rear end in a top hat, and it turns out i'm still an rear end in a top hat
captain america the winter soldier: your friend is a real rear end in a top hat but guess which rear end in a top hat supplied nazis with battle blimps
the avengers ago of ultron: whoops i made another rear end in a top hat
captain america civil war: nobody else is allowed to be an rear end in a top hat
spider-man homecoming: hey, don't turn out to be an rear end in a top hat like me

spider-man far from home: even in death i'm still an rear end in a top hat

Yeah, Jenny Nicholson was the most correct in her Endgame video "At least when women have Mary Sues, the Mary Sue is like, nice to people”

Alaois posted:

every night I mediate for 6 hours to make the deep readings necessary to understand that Mushishi is actually fascocapitalist propaganda

Buddy, life is propaganda. The only things that aren't get snuffed out real fast. That's why Bob Ross, Mr. Rodgers and Anthony Bourdain are gone.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If Tony Stark were a woman, they would be the most hated character in popular culture right now.

My source is talking to anime fans about NGE and their thoughts on Asuka.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also see the wife character in any prestige fiction about terrible middle aged men.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the fact that anyone even expressed hate for skyler white made my blood boil lmao

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
kind of in a similar way to characters in eva. No poo poo skylar is freaking out, her husband had hired killers after their family. No poo poo shinji doesnt want to pilot the robot, hes been emotionally manipulated and abandoned his whole life. No poo poo asuka is so difficult, her life was nothing but misery. Etc.

i get fiction doesnt have to have realistic reactions by their characters but goddamn. its like everyone thinks theyd be the badass of their show and could deal with whatever happens

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Buddy, life is propaganda. The only things that aren't get snuffed out real fast. That's why Bob Ross, Mr. Rodgers and Anthony Bourdain are gone.

i get what you mean but all three of those dudes were over 50 when they died and had long careers beforehand

Alaois fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 24, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ArfJason posted:

my deepest sympathies, I cant even imagine how either a) difficult it must be to find a job or b) not get harassed by people twisting history for their absolutely stupid worldviews.

Yeah, I am thinking about government but gently caress me if I can get a foot in the door. I worked at Walmart for a couple months but I quit because I was tired of stocking freight from a wheelchair and the management was stupid as gently caress.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
man, if argentine peso to dollar werent so irreversivebly hosed id buy you an e drink. best of luck mate

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ArfJason posted:

kind of in a similar way to characters in eva. No poo poo skylar is freaking out, her husband had hired killers after their family. No poo poo shinji doesnt want to pilot the robot, hes been emotionally manipulated and abandoned his whole life. No poo poo asuka is so difficult, her life was nothing but misery. Etc.

i get fiction doesnt have to have realistic reactions by their characters but goddamn. its like everyone thinks theyd be the badass of their show and could deal with whatever happens

It always felt to me like Shinji gets poo poo on for characteristics that people love in their typical moe waifu characters, and Asuka was hated for having the kind of fake confidence ego that people love in male characters like Kamina. Mixed with the usual bad understanding of how mental illness works.

Granted, hating a fictional character isn't the most serious of crimes, but I do think trends of how people react to media is interesting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ArfJason posted:

man, if argentine peso to dollar werent so irreversivebly hosed id buy you an e drink. best of luck mate

Thanks, all and all I have it good but I just get tired of poo poo. Your cool goonfrien, pm me if you want to chat more about stuff.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, I am thinking about government but gently caress me if I can get a foot in the door. I worked at Walmart for a couple months but I quit because I was tired of stocking freight from a wheelchair and the management was stupid as gently caress.

I was going to use my degree to go into teaching, but the credential program costs money I can't just use my dad's veteran's benefits for and would also prevent me from being able to work for two semesters so I'm a bit hesitant to go for it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And speaking of metal gear and eva, I highly recommend the Panning the Stream podcast episodes where they watch evangelion. It's Dan Ryckert and his wife Bianca watching eva for the first time with very little knowledge of it or anime in general beyond watching dbz, some hero aca, and some other minor series beforehand. I think I speak for many when I say I was dreading dan, the real world equivalent of Forrest Gump who tends to have some pretty bad surface level reads on a lot of things, sitting down and watching evangelion, but he put a lot of thought into it which is really great to listen to. He recently tweeted about watching end of Evangelion so I can't wait for that episode oh boy

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Roth posted:

It always felt to me like Shinji gets poo poo on for characteristics that people love in their typical moe waifu characters, and Asuka was hated for having the kind of fake confidence ego that people love in male characters like Kamina. Mixed with the usual bad understanding of how mental illness works.

Granted, hating a fictional character isn't the most serious of crimes, but I do think trends of how people react to media is interesting.

I can understand thinking less of these characters for certain stuff (shinji in the hospital, asuka belittling shinji and humiliating him to cover her own insecurities, misato making passes at a shinji, etc) but flat out hating them for being broken when thats the point seems like missing the mark heavily for the sake of buying into surface level gut reactions. Or in the case of skyler an absolutely understandable reaction to the happenings around her. I dunno.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Thanks, all and all I have it good but I just get tired of poo poo. Your cool goonfrien, pm me if you want to chat more about stuff.

lol the plat icon is for show, I actually don't have pm because I'm a dumbfuck who gets banned constantly, but i appreciate the words and would love to talk about anything, even though im one of the stupidest most ignorant people i know.

Captain Invictus posted:

And speaking of metal gear and eva, I highly recommend the Panning the Stream podcast episodes where they watch evangelion. It's Dan Ryckert and his wife Bianca watching eva for the first time with very little knowledge of it or anime in general beyond watching dbz, some hero aca, and some other minor series beforehand. I think I speak for many when I say I was dreading dan, the real world equivalent of Forrest Gump who tends to have some pretty bad surface level reads on a lot of things, sitting down and watching evangelion, but he put a lot of thought into it which is really great to listen to. He recently tweeted about watching end of Evangelion so I can't wait for that episode oh boy

im not a podcast guy but i listened to those and was pleasently surprised because dan's Epic Wacky xD shtick can get tiring in giant bomb but he seems much more toned down in this, and im impressed with how quickly he caught on to some of the main themes of the show

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like he probably went in with a more open mind specifically due to the amount of people being like "oh no dan won't get this!!!!" tweets he was getting, but also, metal gear is literally his favorite franchise ever so he was bound to love the technobabble bullshit in eva, BUT ALSO, he didn't think metal gear was political sooooo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Roth posted:

I was going to use my degree to go into teaching, but the credential program costs money I can't just use my dad's veteran's benefits for and would also prevent me from being able to work for two semesters so I'm a bit hesitant to go for it.

I’d be a terrible teacher, I took homeland security as a minor with a fantastic professor but those agencies are hard to get into obviously outside cbp but I got lost in the shuffle which is probably for the best but it’s a good stepping stone agencie apparently. Which explains a lot.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Nightmare Masterclass I'm thinking of that's pretty good and has said some leftist stuff even, he's pretty good. But coming to think of it, he hasn't updated in a long rear end time.

Could also watch Nyx Fears or Jenny Nicolson try to read creepypasta with a straight face.

It’s also fun watching the legitimate creepypasta channels taking these awful stories seriously.

Retsupurae’s creepypasta videos are good for this too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it’s a good stepping stone agencie apparently. Which explains a lot.

New fascists following the model set by the old. What a wonderful time.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I had to read all those posts about spider man, I hope you're all happy

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Down the Rabbit Hole covers a vaguely similar "deep dive on weird poo poo" niche and is pretty good, but he only uploads every couple months

Down the rabbit hole can be interesting but fair warning that he has made some bad choices at times like treating stalker site Kiwi Farms as a reliable source of information and using racial slurs without any kind of censorship or hesitance when quoting someone else using them.

Still worth watching but there are problematic elements for sure.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am history major

ArfJason posted:

jesus christ going online must be a nightmare every day, huh

"Man, I need to do this report on Emperor Nero Claudius, but all my web searches just give me results for Devil May Cry 5 and this Fate anime."

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The difference is that Cells at Work is edutainment actually trying to teach you about the human immune system.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

I had to read all those posts about spider man, I hope you're all happy

Yeah same, good job everybody

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Unicorn's inciting plot event is (((globalists))) doing a false flag on the dedication ceremony of the first ever space colony, so they could destroy evidence of a Space Bill of Rights that retroactively justified the ideological claims of Zeon, the literal space nazi villains of the original series

The Space Bill of Rights that was destroyed in the terrorist attack justified the beliefs of the founder of Zeon, the guy the space nazis assassinated and stole the name of to lend legitimacy to their dictatorship.

"The people of space should be free, independent and have representation in the united Earth Government" wasn't actually what the space nazis wanted.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

New fascists following the model set by the old. What a wonderful time.

sorta. basicaly its an easy(realtivly) to get into and once your there for for a couple years, you can get into other DHS agencies. the people who stay tend to be weird dumb fucks or just want to work closer to home. personaly if i did get a job there id probably work on dock looking for phony merchandice and animal smuggling.

what sucks is there is a job id love to have is HSI Cultural Property, Art and Antiquities Investigations division, which is basically taking stolen poo poo from museums and rich assholes and sending them back to their home countries or owners. what sucks is they are part of ICE. so yeah, not doing that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Seemlar posted:

The Space Bill of Rights that was destroyed in the terrorist attack justified the beliefs of the founder of Zeon, the guy the space nazis assassinated and stole the name of to lend legitimacy to their dictatorship.

"The people of space should be free, independent and have representation in the united Earth Government" wasn't actually what the space nazis wanted.

If it was just this it wouldn't be as dodgy, but the actual text they quote in the show as being relevant straight up sounds like its a positive encouragement of the Space Eugenics stuff Zeon would later get themselves into and would use as justification for all their evil poo poo. "In the future, should the emergence of a new space-adapted human race be confirmed, the Earth Federation shall give priority to involving them in the administration of the government.". What the gently caress even is that?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If it turns out vampires or psychics are real we should give them control of the government.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Arcsquad12 posted:

If it turns out vampires or psychics are real we should give them control of the government.

Like, on its own its just bizarre, but in the context of being the latest entry in a series where the villains are traditionally

A) explicitly fascist coded
B) regularly use their imagined evolutionary superiority as justification
C) heavily fetishized by the fanbase

Then it stops being just silly nonsensical bad writing and veers into kinda suspicious?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Like, on its own its just bizarre, but in the context of being the latest entry in a series where the villains are traditionally

A) explicitly fascist coded
B) regularly use their imagined evolutionary superiority as justification
C) heavily fetishized by the fanbase

Then it stops being just silly nonsensical bad writing and veers into kinda suspicious?

This is complicated by Tomino's own beliefs, which are best summarised as 'adults are the enemy' - and yeah, Unicorn wasn't written by him, but it draws deeply on the themes he laid out. Newtypes aren't a master race. Apart from anything else, genetics have a weak-to-nonexistent influence on whether you get psychic powers - they're something that's naturally unlocked within people, especially children, as they adapt to new environments. In other words, they're a symbol of the limitless potential of youth. The charter was presented as good in the story because it was basically the Federation saying 'hey, maybe we should give the kids a chance', while the Principality of Zeon (and, later, the Federation as well) is evil because they cling to old, outmoded, and brutal trappings of power - they're not just fascists, but old-school imperialists, aristocrats, Tammany Hall crooks, or whatever. They're dumb and wrong about Newtypes precisely because they're applying twentieth-century eugenics logic to them centuries after it was shown to be bunk.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mother's Basement did a nice tribute to Kyoani, the larger context of anime and what it means to people, and why Kyoani itself was important. Content warning for the first minute and a half which has footage of the ruins of the Kyoani office that was burned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfhc4moxreo&hd=1

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

So, I think this is probably the right thread. I want to get into Red Letter Media stuff, specifically Best of the Worst and the weird skits like reading R.L. Stein's joke book to kids, but a few years ago I was watching an early Best of the Worst, the first Wheel of the Worst IIRC. There was a silly VHS about pregnancy dancing, which is fine to poke fun at but then the lady that was with them says "Slap me in the face with your FEMINIST Bullshit!" and they all act shocked and appalled that a conventionally attractive woman doesn't shave her armpits.

Basically what I'm asking is are they chuds and / or do they put that poo poo in their other videos? I just want to laugh at insane classic VHS's and not deal with that poo poo.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cartoon Violence posted:

So, I think this is probably the right thread. I want to get into Red Letter Media stuff, specifically Best of the Worst and the weird skits like reading R.L. Stein's joke book to kids, but a few years ago I was watching an early Best of the Worst, the first Wheel of the Worst IIRC. There was a silly VHS about pregnancy dancing, which is fine to poke fun at but then the lady that was with them says "Slap me in the face with your FEMINIST Bullshit!" and they all act shocked and appalled that a conventionally attractive woman doesn't shave her armpits.

Basically what I'm asking is are they chuds and / or do they put that poo poo in their other videos? I just want to laugh at insane classic VHS's and not deal with that poo poo.

No they're not and that was obviously hyperbole

That said they have made other problematic jokes in the past. Like most comedy you gotta take the good with the bad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cartoon Violence posted:

Explicitly, no. Rich and Mike make a lot jokes at the expense of questionable targets in the same vein that 00s-Era SA used to, but they're actually quite liberal and not-crazy people when you get down to it. Jay is a little harder to get a bead on politically. While Jack is just a constant ball of joy and horror at all the hosed up poo poo Mike, Jay and Rich make him watch all the time.

Just steer clear of anything Star Wars related that they do. Not because they fall on the side of the angry internet men w/r/t Star Wars, it's just that they're a bunch of tired middle aged dudes moaning about Star Wars and it's just tedious to watch.

Everything else they do is pretty solid though. You're just going to have to watch for yourself and make your own judgement call, really.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think they've gotten more careful over the years. but they're basically depressed drunken midwestern liberals.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Even assuming the absolute worst about Mike/Jay/Rich, just looking at the timelines for Jack and Josh is a pretty good sign that if any member of the crew really was a hardcore full chud, they probably wouldn't tolerate hanging around them.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
That said, off the top of my head Rich has made a joke using a transphobic slur in a really old best of the worst and they maybe had a bit too much fun saying "rape" over and over when they watched death stalker, so consider this a trigger warning that they do say some stuff that can be rough to hear at times but it's not ultra common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The Captain Marvel HitB is kinda cringey for how heavily Jay leans into attacking Brie Larson, even if it's deadpan. But the worst I've ever seen Mike really do is making fun of old people in that exercise video they watched.

Mike Stoklasa loving hates old people.