Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Honestly I have way more problems with the Avatar being the only character able to be gay than like the options available for them. Same sex paired endings are more interesting to me than any potential Byleth romance. But I’m also actively not into the player avatar as a concept so maybe that’s to be expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The avatar makes sense with this game's set up but I really hope the next game just straight up doesn't have one.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
it will be nice if the writing is good enough to elicit any sort of enthusiasm about romance out of me in the first place. i couldn't tell you who likes who and why in fe:fates because none of it is any good.

Zane fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 24, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Honestly I have way more problems with the Avatar being the only character able to be gay than like the options available for them. Same sex paired endings are more interesting to me than any potential Byleth romance. But I’m also actively not into the player avatar as a concept so maybe that’s to be expected.

There are a few non Byleth same sex paired endings.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There are apparently other gay pairings. Including a bunch that Byleth doesn't have access to.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I don't think most people (at least in this thread) think it was done as an intentional insult, but it is homophobia all the same and it probably gets really frustrating to LGBT people as yet another window into society's deeply ingrained prejudices.

I also don't think mlm fans think the lesbians got it again!, just that this sort of betrays the whole girl on girl hot but men on men ew, which is honestly a double edged sword for women, since you often get also terrible portrayals of gay women (thankfully FE is not 18+).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also does Byleth even really count as an Avatar? Like you make choices in game because they're your viewpoint character, but you piloted Roy in the same way during chapter splits in FE6. Its not even like you can customize them in any way this time around beyond picking if they're a man or a woman.

Like are we just saying we want the next game to be totally linear? Because I'd personally be fine with that, its honestly getting a little exhausting to have to play each game 3+ times to see the full stories and characters.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wish I could show the me that just started gba fire emblem this thread

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Byleth is way more of an avatar because they barely talk, unlike Robin and Corrin who are actual characters (no matter how much you dislike them).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Grapplejack posted:

sothis [is] romantic

i see,

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Endorph posted:

The avatar makes sense with this game's set up but I really hope the next game just straight up doesn't have one.

Next game won't have an avatar, won't have any supports or romantic pairings.

But it will be a remake of Genealogy so that's weird. Where do the babies come from then? Nobody knows.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
still better for a man to marry an underaged girl than another man, in fire emblem land

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

18+ lesbian stuff often rules, in my experience.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I don't have much to add to the m/m discussion other than my general resignation because I knew this was going to happen after Fates.

If anyone sees leaks on if you can poach Hubert and Dedue to your house like that one screenshot of being able to recruit Hilda can someone quote this post with it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hilda's the only exception, and only if you're a guy apparently.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I just wanna know if supports are limited again

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

I just wanna know if supports are limited again
They aren't.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I don't have much to add to the m/m discussion other than my general resignation because I knew this was going to happen after Fates.

If anyone sees leaks on if you can poach Hubert and Dedue to your house like that one screenshot of being able to recruit Hilda can someone quote this post with it? Inquiring minds want to know.
They don't have cross-faction supports, so.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Endorph posted:

They aren't.

Then how does paired endings work?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Endorph posted:

18+ lesbian stuff often rules, in my experience.

It can rule, it can be an objectifying fest. It is a roll of a loaded dice.

For what is worth, I dont think that is the case here.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Then how does paired endings work?

I assume A Ranks for regular characters are just one-offs

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Zore posted:

There are a few non Byleth same sex paired endings.

I think only Dorothea has the power to turn someone else gay as an outlier.

edit: Lysithea single handedly bringing wizards back

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 24, 2019

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Tae posted:

Hilda's the only exception, and only if you're a guy apparently.

Oh goddammit, first she's not poachable, then she is with decisions, then that's only with MByleth? IS, c'mon. Just let me have my armored axe Serra.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

rannum posted:

I assume A Ranks for regular characters are just one-offs

My brain is going to explode if I can't see those As

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Apparently some peeps have started streaming on Twitch under Fire Emblem for Nintendo Switch (working title)

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
There is a thread on r/fireemblem that lists all paired endings. It's called "Lisf of Romantic, Non-Byleth Paired Endings".

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

I think only Dorothea has the power to turn someone else gay as an outlier.

No they all have other options, I think. Linhardt definitely does.

That said, I think with the exception of Dorothea they all have only one non straight, non Byleth option.

e:
lol nevermind dorothea is the only bi option who has gay end pairings that are explicitly romantic, not just heavily implied. I do wish there was a list of heavily implied gay ships though so I knew which ones were 100% platonic before I disappoint myself.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 24, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

those are just the ending texts anyway, the supports themselves could be a lot more implicit anyway

for your shipping purposes

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

characters have been shipped for far less evidence in my young years on fanfiction.net

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Is there proof anywhere of the Leonie thing? I saw Sylvain being recruited without his requirements because you're FByleth but I haven't seen similar proof for Leonie, just people theorizing.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
FE should come with a dialogue and battle editor so everyone's fanfics can be true.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

hopeandjoy posted:

I do wish there was a list of heavily implied gay ships though so I knew which ones were 100% platonic before I disappoint myself.

There is a thread on reddit that lists all non byleth romantic endings (OP note: Listed below are the paired endings that are undeniably romantic, as in the words 'love' and/or 'marriage' are used in them.). So I think this is what you're looking for.

​edit: as someone pointed out, this lists possible all pairings, so can spoil quite a bit on characters.

Meallan fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 24, 2019

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I mean FE’s mechanics are literally tailor made to encourage shipping so.

It’s just that we should be beyond the days of Raven/Lucius and Ike/Soren being all but explicitly stated they’re canon when it comes to gay ships.

(At least some f/f paired endings exist now I guess.)

Meallan posted:

There is a thread on reddit that lists all non byleth romantic endings (OP note: Listed below are the paired endings that are undeniably romantic, as in the words 'love' and/or 'marriage' are used in them.). So I think this is what you're looking for.

No that’s the one we’re discussing. I want a list of paired endings like Linhardt/Casper that don’t mention love or marriage but are pretty obviously implied romantic.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Meallan posted:

this has fairly major spoilers for a character tho, so uhhhhh watch out

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Is there proof anywhere of the Leonie thing? I saw Sylvain being recruited without his requirements because you're FByleth but I haven't seen similar proof for Leonie, just people theorizing.

Apparently Leonie's been debunked, but the Slyvain thing is real.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Well, I found a tumblr post about the same sex paired endings that analyzes how gay they seem:

https://gascon-en-exil.tumblr.com/post/186486275497/after-exhaustively-poring-over-the-text-dump-ive

Of course, this is just one person's opinion so take it with a massive grain of salt.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I judged how gay these supports are based on how many blushing faces they have.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Wow some of those paired endings look amazing.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Just going by pre and post timeskip designs this game seems really good. And personalities seem— for the most part— at least not one dimensional so I’m hyped. Being able to poach most units helps too.

I’m mostly a strong bases man but I want pretty much all of my friends to succeed.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Do we know what time the digital release is happening? I've seen a few countdowns on twitter but they were directly contradictory so lol.

Poking around google I can't find anything that says if it's midnight in every timezone or if everyone is getting it simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

2 SPOOKY posted:

Do we know what time the digital release is happening? I've seen a few countdowns on twitter but they were directly contradictory so lol.

Poking around google I can't find anything that says if it's midnight in every timezone or if everyone is getting it simultaneously.
I don't know this for sure so don't quote me, but nintendo USUALLY does their big deal releases at midnight EST, so 9 PST on Thursday.