Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

I was hoping that since people are reporting sparse sightings of grunts with weak pokemon, that the frequency and difficulty would ramp up over time as the "invasion" continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
That would be great— having pvp battles with a reasonable reward is fun, especially being able to do fighting without the wait time of a raid both in lobby and during. It would be cool if this was part of a move towards getting more of the random trainer style battles in.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

HookShot posted:

Ghost and dark types are best against Alolan Raichu, with some differences based on weather. But not factoring in the weather boosts at all and only going for mons whose ideal moves you can get now, Ttar, Weaville, Banette, Honchcrow and Houndoom are probably your best bets.

thanks!

Balk
Oct 15, 2011

Rastor posted:

My wife and I aren't big raiders but caught an armored Mewtwo during community day and now just received our first EX raid invite. Any advice or link to a good EX raid guide for dumb dumbs?

Showing up early really is the most important thing. People usually start right when the egg hatches and if you're late there might be no one left to raid with you.

You can use an app like Poke Genie or Calcy IV to figure out what your best Deoxys counters are, or check guides like this one for suggestions, but whatever you used against Mewtwo will probably be fine. Don't worry about building a special team or anything. If your community has enough people to trigger the EX raid, you should have more than enough people at the raid to win with numbers alone.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

indigi posted:

should I be boarding all my rare candy or should I use it to evolve this stupid Scyther?

also, what common mons should I be stocking up on if I want to take down Alolan Raichu? the Geodude spawns have dropped off the map and none of my bugs can hurt this motherfucker

Tyranitars with dark/dark attacks your best bet, as a single team of six caught weather-boosted in partly-cloudy weather can theoretically solo a Raichu (but they are a 4-star raid still, aka "the most uncommon one" so if you don't have a local raid map this might still be a bit of a headache, and if you don't have a Machamp team already you're in for a bit of a hassle)

In terms of actually common ones, very biome/nest/sinnoh stone dependent dependent but
- With ground attacks: Rhyperior, Mamoswine, any Groudon you have if you were raiding while those were available
- With dark attacks: Honchkrow, Weavile
- With ghost attacks: Gengar
- With bug attacks: Pinsir is a pretty common high-level spawn when the weather is right

If you've got friends, trading for an Origin Giratina or two will also basically faceroll a Raichu (and be a much better target for those rare candies)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Balk posted:

Showing up early really is the most important thing. People usually start right when the egg hatches and if you're late there might be no one left to raid with you.

You can use an app like Poke Genie or Calcy IV to figure out what your best Deoxys counters are, or check guides like this one for suggestions, but whatever you used against Mewtwo will probably be fine. Don't worry about building a special team or anything. If your community has enough people to trigger the EX raid, you should have more than enough people at the raid to win with numbers alone.

Thanks! I found a guide that suggested Bite+Crunch or Dragon Tail+Outrage so I'll power those up and we'll make sure we show up early.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If you've got friends, trading for an Origin Giratina or two will also basically faceroll a Raichu (and be a much better target for those rare candies)

hi friend.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

indigi posted:

hi friend.

I mean, if you happen to be in the PNW...

but in all seriousness, check your local discord/facebook, a lot of people hoard old low-IV raid pokemon and will gladly start throwing them at you en masse for the asking, since they're usually on the cusp of just discarding them for space (and if you trade for hatched pokemon from goon friend eggs, they'll get 3x the candy they would otherwise + trade distance badge points)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Finally gave up on trying to revive my Go-Tcha and ordered a new one.

Did the plug/unplug 10x times trick many times, monkeyed with the charging cables, let the battery drain unplugged for a week and tried that. Nothing seems to be able to revive it.

So I ordered a replacement with two day shipping with Amazon figuring I’ll return it if I get a fraudulent one. I wish these things were more durable. They die waaaaaaaaaay too easily.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:unsmith:

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
E: ^ Holy poo poo

Although I don't think this is worth it if you just have one account, after having two gotchas in a row break on me I switched to a dual catchmon. Only worth it if you have two accounts, and def wait for a sale, but so far its been much better than the gotcha. Takes batteries instead, and fewer settings, but much easier to reconnect /keep connected.

Also need a few more friends for the quest! 3105 7380 2513.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Today I only saw one Rocket stop despite looking quite a bit and moving through different parts of the city. My local groups reported 3, including the one I saw. Last night I saw 2, just by checking from my house occasionally but without moving around. Seems rare and not worth going out to look for, at the moment.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I mean, if you happen to be in the PNW...

Where are you at duder

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

kensei posted:

Where are you at duder

Close enough to seattle to smell it but not close enough to commute to it

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Be aware that a-raichu gets Grass Knot these days and wrecks the ever loving poo poo out of tyranitar, Groudon, golem and all the other rock and ground types you might consider bringing against him if you're unlucky enough to get that as a charged move on the raid.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Speaking of Groudon, my last week yielded some interesting new friends. Let me know if any of these are worth powering up, or otherwise working towards, itching to pull the trigger on Groudon, just a few dozen CP off from perfect.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

electivire and machamp are some of the best attackers in the game

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah your groudon, machop, elekid and eevee are all worth favoriting and keeping around. That Eevee probably should become an Espeon, and the Machop/elekid should just be evolved to Max.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Close enough to seattle to smell it but not close enough to commute to it

Ah, I'm just North of Portland.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Looks like Ralts will be the next community day mon!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Looks like Ralts will be the next community day mon!

I hope they do another Sinnoh stone promotion.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

That's two final stage shinies in one event, people gonna be hunting like mad those hours :stare:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I hope they do another Sinnoh stone promotion.

:same:

Thankfully I've got enough stones to evolve a few Gallades, but they're so hard to get.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Any info on what special moves will be available? Is one or the other preferred for tier 3/4 low man raiding?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The last three 10km eggs I've opened have all been Slakoth, come the gently caress on.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Any info on what special moves will be available? Is one or the other preferred for tier 3/4 low man raiding?

No idea yet. It usually gets revealed closer to community day.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Gardevoir as Fairy is currently a high PvE contender for vs. Dragons/Fighting (technically Dark as well, but the psychic typing hurts a bit there). Gallade is...not, since it's got Fighting/Psychic typing and is outclassed by Mewtwo/Alakazam/Espeon on one side and the Undisputed Fighting King Machamp on the other.

Whatever the CD move is may change that, but it's unknown if they'll have multiple moves just because there's multiple evos (Eevee, for example, did not), or even if the move will be a charged vs. fast move.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Parrotine posted:

That's two final stage shinies in one event, people gonna be hunting like mad those hours :stare:

Oh drat you're right! I really hope the weather doesn't suck. I'll have to catch SO MANY! :supaburn:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The last three 10km eggs I've opened have all been Slakoth, come the gently caress on.

Eggs are a completely pointless thing to invest money into, the spread is so diluted that you’re basically betting against the house.

Even for dust and experience there are better ways. Eggs are poo poo.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Gardevoir as Fairy is currently a high PvE contender for vs. Dragons/Fighting (technically Dark as well, but the psychic typing hurts a bit there). Gallade is...not, since it's got Fighting/Psychic typing and is outclassed by Mewtwo/Alakazam/Espeon on one side and the Undisputed Fighting King Machamp on the other.

Whatever the CD move is may change that, but it's unknown if they'll have multiple moves just because there's multiple evos (Eevee, for example, did not), or even if the move will be a charged vs. fast move.

On the other hand, both are looking viable as glass cannons in various Silph cups (especially for August, where the theme is "revisiting old themes," one of which is completely dominated by Charm Gardevoir; Gallade is one of the good counters to Medicham in another). And who knows what the moves will do to that.

Gallade's main problem is it has a weird mishmash of moves that are mostly bad-to-okay in PVE, but that give it some interesting use in PVP. It's got higher attack than Machamp, so if it got good fighting moves it'd outpace it DPS-wise, but for now they seem to have settled on "give it a weird PVP niche," which I'm totally okay with.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Louisgod posted:

Eggs are a completely pointless thing to invest money into, the spread is so diluted that you’re basically betting against the house.

Even for dust and experience there are better ways. Eggs are poo poo.

I don't buy incubators anymore, I just use the free one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I’m pretty excited for Ralf’s day, but of course it’s a day I work solo manager.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Yeah, thanks to Niantic being responsible and putting CD days later in the summer, I'll be lucky to get about an hour's worth of time before going in for my night shift. Also, thanks, goons, for the notes of confidence, I'm gonna get to work on candying up for Machamp and Electivire.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I was really hoping for Ralts as the next CD mon so this is fantastic news. Here's hoping for Gible between now and the end of the year.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't buy incubators anymore, I just use the free one.

:same: but I will drop a load of coins on the Adventure Box just from getting my daily 50 over the course of a few weeks. If I'm running low on Premium Passes I get the Ultra Box instead.

Manoueverable posted:

I was really hoping for Ralts as the next CD mon so this is fantastic news. Here's hoping for Gible between now and the end of the year.

We've gotten the pseudo-legendary for the first 3 gens, so I would honestly be surprised if we didn't get Gible in October. Then again, they did troll us with Slakoth...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DizzyBum posted:

We've gotten the pseudo-legendary for the first 3 gens, so I would honestly be surprised if we didn't get Gible in October. Then again, they did troll us with Slakoth...

I feel like they'll probably milk Gible's comparative rarity for awhile yet, maybe a porygon day

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
It's gonna be trapinch and I'm going to kill myself.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Give me shiny slowpoke!

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I still dream of shiny Spheal. Give me that perfect pink orb :3:

Ralts community day is good news though. The shiny is quite pretty (I'm a sucker for cold green shades) and it might mean I can finally get Gallade and more than one Gardevoir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Rumors from my local discord:

No, fun allowed?

No fun allowed!

A literally pointless change that affects no meta, prevents no exploit, but burns goodwill on a mechanic that as-released was already wearing a bit thin in terms of usefulness for anyone who hit that 10+ rocket stop mark (because how many kanto starters/rattatas do you need at this point)

So yeah of course that’s what Niantic will do. (Shadow pokemon being untradable is apparently already implemented.)