Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Vulture Culture posted:

Someone put an Elizabethan collar on this fuckin parakeet

I loved the miscommunication or whatever between his real story and what Alex thought the story was.

"Your girlfriend calls you grandpa?"
"Yeah one time my back hurt so she called me grandpa."

Please keep giving us stories like this.

"It says here you're a huge pizza fanatic, tell me more."
"One time I ate a slice of pizza, Alex, and it was pretty good. Probably won't try it again, though."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Jason looks like a slightly chunky Nicolas Cage

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Kathleen what the hell

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sir Lemming posted:

He reminds me of a white Jay Chandrasekhar

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I came here to see if anyone else thought he looked like Nic Cage.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I thought you weren't allowed to do shoutouts anymore?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I'll bet just enough to keep me comfortably in second place please Alex, two grand is more than enough for me.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Spokes posted:

Got the call, excited to join the legions of J! goons — any advice? (besides study, practice wagering, etc) I’ve read most of the books and been to a couple tapings

finally taped my (first??) episode(s??) this week! What a blast. I'll post again closer to airdate so everyone can watch and cheer and/or mock me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spokes posted:

finally taped my (first??) episode(s??) this week! What a blast. I'll post again closer to airdate so everyone can watch and cheer and/or mock me.

If you taped yesterday, Mary Ann Borer, one of the four-day champions from season 35, was in the audience to watch you!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Someone from my audition found me on Facebook and is messaging me asking me for tips as if I've been on the show. Nice lady but I've never been humble bragged at so hard in my life.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Spokes posted:

Congrats!

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

You're not the only one apparently haha

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
This music category is the dumbest thing I've ever seen on Jeopardy

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 17, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Andorra posted:

You're not the only one apparently haha

Hah, yeah, when that story came up I knew it was going to be Nic Cage

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Whoa, I got that incredibly vague final immediately

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vulture Culture posted:

My guess was Shel Silverstein. Whiffed hard.

But, yeah, that was a vaguely worded Final.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I got it about halfway through and thought it was a great FJ, the kind I'd expect exactly one contestant to get most episodes.

My favorite is still the one where the clue amounts to royal wedding, 1976, king named Carl Gustaf (signifying Sweden), the song they danced to: Dancing Queen.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

I've been on a roll with final Jeopardy lately.

I knew the album was released in 1975 or 1976 and figured it couldn't be something obscure. Thought it was funny Eric bet the farm. He must have figured that as the old man of the group, he had an advantage.

Timby posted:

I read something somewhere not long ago that Sendak had intended to draw something else. He botched it badly and decided they'd instead become "things."

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, i think they were trying to get people to think of either hotel california or rumours. maaaaaaaaaybe aja but that would be one of the deepest cuts jeopardy ever pulled.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I read something somewhere not long ago that Sendak had intended to draw something else. He botched it badly and decided they'd instead become "things."
I was dead certain that one was Eric Carle and was so confused by the actual correct response

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

maaaaaaaaaybe aja but that would be one of the deepest cuts jeopardy ever pulled.
lmao considered that for a second but sadly enough of a steely dan nerd to know the year wasn't right. Probably sent me down the right path though, "Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening"

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Third place lady put on a master class in how not to bet on final Jeopardy. If you have exactly half of the second place player and the first place player is ahead by less than your total, for goodness sake don't YOLO and bet it all. A $0 bet would have won the game for her.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

lmao considered that for a second but sadly enough of a steely dan nerd to know the year wasn't right. Probably sent me down the right path though, "Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening"

yea, if you even knew aja existed, i imagine you also knew a lot about it and the clue's description didn't quite fit and that it was later. you'd also know that the odds of jeopardy asking anything about aja would've been astronomical.

and goddamn, gently caress the eagles.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 26, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain von Trapp posted:

Third place lady put on a master class in how not to bet on final Jeopardy. If you have exactly half of the second place player and the first place player is ahead by less than your total, for goodness sake don't YOLO and bet it all. A $0 bet would have won the game for her.

it's crazy how many times i've seen people lose because they didn't know when to bet zero as third place. behind "betting enough to double your opponent +1" it's gotta be the most well known betting strategy if you're a fan of the show.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Timby posted:

But, yeah, that was a vaguely worded Final.

I got nowhere close to the right answer. I wouldn't have gotten it with a better written clue, but it was crazy vague.

edit: I picked Dahl, even though I knew that probably wasn't correct.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 26, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

abelwingnut posted:

yea, if you even knew aja existed, i imagine you also knew a lot about it and the clue's description didn't quite fit and that it was later. you'd also know that the odds of jeopardy asking anything about aja would've been astronomical.

and goddamn, gently caress the eagles.
I think a lot of nerds know it exists but not necessarily much else because it constantly comes up in crosswords. AJA is a very handy word and there's only so many possible clues for it

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

My wife did not like Emma's voice. I thought it was hilarious.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Macy's are selling some Jeopardy-themed t-shirts, and someone posted them on the Jeopardy contestants group.

Thanks to GhostStalker for saving me over $20 by buying and shipping this one to Canada for me:

It's definitely a lounge around the house kind of shirt but my husband wants me to wear it when I walk the dog tomorrow to see people's reactions haha.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

Macy's are selling some Jeopardy-themed t-shirts, and someone posted them on the Jeopardy contestants group.

Thanks to GhostStalker for saving me over $20 by buying and shipping this one to Canada for me:

It's definitely a lounge around the house kind of shirt but my husband wants me to wear it when I walk the dog tomorrow to see people's reactions haha.

Again, you’re welcome. Macy’s was asking for $26 shipping to Canada, and that was over twice the price of the shirt. I’m just glad you didn’t need to wait too long for it to arrive and that I could save you some money. Enjoy it!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

Again, you’re welcome. Macy’s was asking for $26 shipping to Canada, and that was over twice the price of the shirt. I’m just glad you didn’t need to wait too long for it to arrive and that I could save you some money. Enjoy it!

Thanks, you're the best!!

sanko
Sep 11, 2001
Lies.
This shirt is $11.25 with code "PREVIEW" according to the site. I'm certainly considering being that guy and wearing a Jeopardy! licensed t-shirt.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I would definitely wear a Jeopardy shirt, just not either one of those Jeopardy shirts

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1167146405972074496

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Past contestants, how long before the show did you get the email with photos and such? i want to get my friends and family hyped up for my appearance in two weeks but J! hasn't been in touch

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spokes posted:

Past contestants, how long before the show did you get the email with photos and such? i want to get my friends and family hyped up for my appearance in two weeks but J! hasn't been in touch

Mine was almost exactly two weeks before, but it depends on the tape day; I know other groups that only got theirs a couple of days in advance. If you get to a week out and haven't heard anything, email Glenn about it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

Please post here the day before so I remember to watch it and look for you. And yeah, you should see it soon.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

Mine was almost exactly two weeks before, but it depends on the tape day; I know other groups that only got theirs a couple of days in advance. If you get to a week out and haven't heard anything, email Glenn about it.

Mine was also almost exactly 2 weeks before, so yeah, you should be getting it soon.

And yes, post here to remind us of your air date please!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
And we're back!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

And we're back!

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is there a way to stream these a la the old reddit thread or is the dream dead?