Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

BisbyWorl posted:

Wonder Wand takes 14 casts to roll Berserk. Power Staff I can stick my Red Mage with Equip Katanas, give him the Masamune for first action, then swap to the staff and bop Shinryu on the head to skip the opening Tidal Wave, letting me keep Running Shoes on everyone.

You can do the first 13 casts in different battles so that Berserk is the first thing that comes up when you fight Shinryu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

blakelmenakle posted:

You can do the first 13 casts in different battles so that Berserk is the first thing that comes up when you fight Shinryu.

Kyrosiris posted:

You could also prep the Wonder Wand in a random encounter beforehand and come in with it already on Berserk, still allowing everyone to be using sandals.

Well then. Looks like I was an idiot all along. :v:

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Berserk is a good spell overall and having ready access to it is good. Farming a Power Staff is comprable effort to detouring to Fork & cycling to get access to it, and you only get one cast at a time that way too.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

blakelmenakle posted:

I also learned of this random hole in the Barrier Tower 6th floor:

Every year there's something new I learn about this game.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Which chemist drinks are good and which are a waste of time?

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

DalaranJ posted:

Which chemist drinks are good and which are a waste of time?

Power Drink is pointless unless you have Goblin Punch. It's bugged otherwise.

Everything else is good AFAIK, but Giant for double HP (you can also mix this to give to other characters), and Hero Drink for extra levels is amazing IMO because basically all damage calculations use your level. Speed drink is nice if you have no other way to get haste. I never really used Iron Drink (Hard Body?), but more defense doesn't seem bad? Would rather use Hero though because I'm pretty sure levels also affect defense. Apparently it just casts protect.

ChristopherRobin fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 22, 2019

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
more levels don't reduce damage

the damage formula is generally ([power + variance] - defense) * multiplier, where multiplier is based on the attacker's stats and level. defender's level never comes into it

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Protect is really good if you need more efficient turns when healing, or if you'd be 1-shot without it. Double hp is generally more useful in terms of protecting against a big hit (since it is effective against every damage source), and chemist is already able to poo poo out healing.

On the other hand, with just normal hi-potions and redmages, protect was really useful in some fights because it gave me a lot more turns to spend on not-healing, or let me keep up with damage at a comfortable rate.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
...The Wonder Wand isn't random?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
nope, it casts all white magic spells in order (skipping libra), then all black magic spells in order, then repeats

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

ZypherIM posted:

Protect is really good if you need more efficient turns when healing, or if you'd be 1-shot without it. Double hp is generally more useful in terms of protecting against a big hit (since it is effective against every damage source), and chemist is already able to poo poo out healing.

On the other hand, with just normal hi-potions and redmages, protect was really useful in some fights because it gave me a lot more turns to spend on not-healing, or let me keep up with damage at a comfortable rate.

Funnily enough I just started a new run and got White Mage as my first job and protect is saving me a whole lot of grief. Karma for disregarding its usefulness just two hours ago.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ChristopherRobin posted:

Speed drink is nice if you have no other way to get haste.

Speed Drink was useful in the pre-internet days when nobody could just go look up all the mixes, but now we don't even have to discover that Turtle Shell + Eyedrop gives haste.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That's another turtle you have to murder, though. Drinking a Speed Drink saves approximately five seconds, time better spent grinding for the Tinklebell.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

blakelmenakle posted:

I also learned of this random hole in the Barrier Tower 6th floor:

Just learned about that one about an hour ago myself. Why is that even there.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bufuman posted:

Just learned about that one about an hour ago myself. Why is that even there.

For people running back and forth farming Reflect Rings.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Poque posted:

This toxx is COMPLETE!!

:toxx:

$20 per run that utilizes a near-to-full-power Brave Blade (I'll say 145+ attack power to allow for some accidental runs) on an Equip Swords Geomancer in their fight against NED.

I will require a screenshot showing the equipment screen, such as the one above, and a screenshot of the Geomancer attacking NED in the battle (or TreeDeath I GUESS). Caps at $100.

:toxx:

COMPLETERS: Jose Valasquez, Darkoni, Fenrir, MagusDraco, jaclynhyde, Orange Fluffy Sheep

I know your post says this is complete but I did it anyway because it was a fun challenge and I got knight and hadn't had a geo yet.

I also had Mystic Knight and Dancer so the whole thing was pretty easy, might as well take it an extra step.

It was surprisingly nice just killing every random encounter and basically never have to grind for AP or gil.

Aerdan posted:

I will donate 10¢ per run for every Bartz named Bitch, poo poo, Jeez, or other similar moniker, posted with screenshots of appropriate lines, up to $20. Feel free to poke me on Discord if you're not sure about a given moniker, I guess.

Bartz wants to be a ghost when he grows up:

This is basically a jeapordy question.

"What is an evil being that will return? Spooky"

Bartz has Spooky dreams where he can see the real world

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Run 4: Black Mage, Red Mage, Bard, Samurai

So far I'm 3 for 4 on TCs, and Time Mage on run 5 will get me another.

I have bard.

Red Mage with Equip Katanas to take advantage of Masamune's first strike, then swapped out for Wonder Wand to stick Berserk to skip the opening Tidal Wave. Everyone else was running X-Magic to either dual cast Firaga, (with the Black Mage) or dual cast Raise to keep up with the onslaught. The Samurai had just enough bulk to survive a hit plus Mini to boost evade to try and bait hits.

Stalled out Treedeath until he ran out of MP, then stalled while the Bard and Samurai sang me up to max level and speed. At which point I butchered NED with dualcast Firagas and Gil Toss while the Bard (who was stuck with !Hide to stall) and Red Mage (who was running X-Magic to quickly recover after stalling) offered moral support.

Next time: Summoner, Time Mage, Geomancer, Dancer

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Doing my first non summoner run, turned out to be no750. I’m shocked to be reminded that max HP is a limiting factor and I have to gain levels for some reason. What is going on here?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Well got in the mood to go re-do what I lost to my emulator being dumb, though I skipped on the optional bosses. The boss right before ned was kind of hilariously easy and scary at the same time. Jump let me basically kill off the crystals, but they also ran out of mp before I killed the last one. So I resurrected everyone, turned on my songs, and blew through the boss in a couple turns. Now I'm just pumping up my stats on ned stage 1, it is like an anime where I spend 3 episodes charging my powers.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Singing and Drugging to godhood before annihilating NED is a proud Fiesta tradition.

With both Bard and Chemist, NED shouldn't get a single turn.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I didn't have chemist, was thief/redmage/bard/dragoon. Bard worked really well with redmage, boosting magic power meant that cure2 was doing like 1k to everyone. Not to mention that bard made thief with chicken knife and dragoon with holy lance both do 9999. Only had to eat one agmahest and one grand cross. Though I almost died on the grand cross from my thief going to town on my guys.

I think I might do one more run this year, and make it a no-750 so I don't just get to rod snap through all my problems.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
first crystal samurai

second berserker

uh oh

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Relin posted:

first crystal samurai

second berserker

uh oh

Well, you've always got the option to farm something and just !giltoss to victory. If you're on an emulator, block skill + speed up emulation probably mulches most random encounters so you could farm up some decent cash+levels.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I've never heard of this before this year. The first time I played FFV I really loved it - mixing jobs and skills was a lot of fun, once I got a grip on how the job system worked. Although I didn't use guides much so I essentially wrote off chemist and certainly bezerker. Although I do remember using guides to find where the summons were. After I completed the game I read some online guides and it was always like "use this skill and this skill to attack 8 times", essentially cheesing bosses which would take lot of the fun out of the game, or so I thought.
I remember having such a hard time with the seals on my first playthrough.
Rambling nostalgia aside, I think I might make up a dummy twitter just to give this a try. :3: Or maybe just play it straight again. congratulations to those that have completed some of the really absurd runs.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I've never heard of this before this year. The first time I played FFV I really loved it - mixing jobs and skills was a lot of fun, once I got a grip on how the job system worked. Although I didn't use guides much so I essentially wrote off chemist and certainly bezerker. Although I do remember using guides to find where the summons were. After I completed the game I read some online guides and it was always like "use this skill and this skill to attack 8 times", essentially cheesing bosses which would take lot of the fun out of the game, or so I thought.
Rambling nostalgia aside, I think I might make up a dummy twitter just to give this a try. :3: Or maybe just play it straight again. congratulations to those that have completed some of the really absurd runs.

It doesn't count for the fiesta, but if making a Twitter is too much trouble you can always use the discord bot to roll a team for you. I do this throughout the off season myself. Personally I recommend joining the fun and hitting up goons if you're struggling or just want to talk about silly things like the barrier tower pitfall.

What really makes the fiesta for me is this community. Even those with encyclopedic knowledge of the game make silly mistakes or forget things. So all the advice comes with no judgement and often funny anecdotes.

Whatever you do, I hope you do get some time to enjoy the silliest final fantasy again.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

If you do end up doing a fiesta run, I'd recommend applying tips from http://enkibot.herokuapp.com . While it doesn't cover everything, it hits some of the big key points. Stuff like "hey make sure to do/get X because you're going to need it" comes in a lot more when you're job restricted. In normal play there is basically always a job you can swap to in order to enable you to beat bosses, but depending on what you roll you might need to be more or less creative.

Started a no-750 run, monk and mystic knight so far. As long as I have the levels this is probably going to be pretty smooth sailing, magic sword is ridiculous. For terminology, no-750 means no classes that can use magic rods. This is because when you use them out of your inventory in battle it casts a strong level 3 magic. This 1-2 shots basically every boss in world 1, and can carry you through rough spots in world 2 as needed.

edit: question for you gurus: does spellblade work with brawl?

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 24, 2019

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

ZypherIM posted:

edit: question for you gurus: does spellblade work with brawl?

It doesn't work with fists. I believe it only works with swords, knives, and ninja weapons (but not katanas).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

blakelmenakle posted:

It doesn't work with fists. I believe it only works with swords, knives, and ninja weapons (but not katanas).

And even then, only certain knives and ninja weapons (for instance, the Man-Eater and Twin Lance aren't spellblade compatible).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Kaiser Knucks should make a Monk spellblade compatible. It still wouldn't be the right choice, but it'd be fun.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Before we do anything else with them, the Kaiser Knuckles should just plain be a loving weapon instead of an accessory. :v:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

And even then, only certain knives and ninja weapons (for instance, the Man-Eater and Twin Lance aren't spellblade compatible).

Well yeah, the man eater is a ribbon, not a knife.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Well yeah, the man eater is a ribbon, not a knife.

Look, it has a knife icon (in spite of functioning in all ways like a spear), it counts.

(the alternative would be it functioning in all ways like a bow, which would be funny)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kyrosiris posted:

Before we do anything else with them, the Kaiser Knuckles should just plain be a loving weapon instead of an accessory. :v:

:same:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

:shepicide:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Yep, still room for 4 more

SOON.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Brawl does give the Mystic Knight the Monk's Strength bonus, though, so it's still worthwhile to put it on them.

My second run party is Monk, Mystic Knight, White Mage, and Black Mage, otherwise known as Team OK Fine I'll Do The Fork Tower This Time

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Well, I farmed a bunch outside karnak with speed up emulation + fight while I was watching some shows. Maybe longer than I thought, as when I got up this morning to put a little time in I clocked in at level 30 and like 550k gil. Beastmaster for my 3rd (which I don't think I've ever actually used), and I sort of hope I get samurai so I can try out 4x !giltoss and see how long my money lasts.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Last time I had Samurai I ran out of Gil during the NED fight. I panicked so bad but I managed to scrape by with a win.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I uh, hmm. Looks like I need to grind out to 31, level 5 death in the library wasn't expected hahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

I uh, hmm. Looks like I need to grind out to 31, level 5 death in the library wasn't expected hahaha.

level 31 at library???