Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

mysterious frankie posted:

I don’t think he’s there anymore but the best guy ever on npr/this American life was that guy in Utah who would have adventures with drug addicts and the mentally ill while barely keeping his own crumbling hold on sanity. That guy was legit cool.

Scott Carrier? He's gone off on his own and sporadically updates homebrave.com Still pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hell is listening to Mo Rocca, then turning the TV on to see him hosting Smithsonian Tv and remembering how much you want to dunk his head in the toilet.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Scott Carrier? He's gone off on his own and sporadically updates homebrave.com Still pretty good

Yesssssssssss

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

Any time I listen to 'Wait Wait', the host, Peter Sagal (and usually Mo Rocca too) make at least one joke seemingly pulled right from a topical GBS thread.
Sometimes almost literally verbatim.

This week was a bad example, but they brought up James Bond being replaced by a woman and Sagal made the joke of her now needing an objectified bond-boy called 'octo-dong' which I'm pretty sure was posted right in the GBS thread about it. I mean, that's not the world's toughest joke to write, but it's what caught my ear THIS time and I KNOW I've heard him and others on the show use stuff I've seen posted pretty much directly as material, so I wouldn't be surprised if they or a writer or something reads this.

What I'm saying is please work 'Big Beef City' into your show material this week and I'll know for sure tia.

this forum is dead and gay as npr, so this is likely

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

steve innskeep. it's stebe inskepe. not "stvesinksky" like some russian ballerina composier

It's not even a person it's a castle you idiot. Steven's Keep, which takes its name from King Steven the 69th and his valiant yet fatal attempt to defend it from a horde of east coast centrists

Play fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 22, 2019

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

AstroWhale posted:

this forum is dead and gay as npr, so this is likely

Were are a million times as gay

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

You might think
That NPR likes a butt.
But it can’t match SA,
And famed poster
____ ____, ____ ______!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

shy boy from chess club posted:

There is a This American Life where he lays out a ton of great stories about interviewing mentally ill. Lots of mind control, speaking crystals and vision quests. It when he quit his job and he’s making $30 a day and he sounds crazy too

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 23, 2019

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

poisonpill posted:

You might think
That NPR likes a butt.
But it can’t match SA,
And famed poster
____ ____, ____ ______!

Can I buy a vowel?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Lol

_a_ _a_, _o _a__

Mo Rocca jumps in: pad Thai, no salt!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

poisonpill posted:

You might think
That NPR likes a butt.
But it can’t match SA,
And famed poster
____ ____, ____ ______!

Big Beef Cit-Tay

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

poisonpill posted:

Lol

_a_ _a_, _o _a__

Mo Rocca jumps in: pad Thai, no salt!

Oabama Ocascio-Cortzez???

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Captain Beans posted:

There is a This American Life where he lays out a ton of great stories about interviewing mentally ill. Lots of mind control, speaking crystals and vision quests. It when he quit his job and he’s making $30 a day and he sounds crazy too

Yea that's such a great episode and I've listened to it a few times. After that I looked into everything he does. Running After Antelope is good as well.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Captain Beans posted:

Real poo poo heard today:

Today we will get a review on the Yiddish language presentation of “Fiddler on the Roof”, now performing off broadway....

...all this and more for you today. I'm Pizak Bialystok-Mykyta.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

poisonpill posted:

You might think
That NPR likes a butt.
But it can’t match SA,
And famed poster
____ ____, ____ ______!

Dad Gay, So What

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I hate I have to announce 38 no name peoples names creating a show at the end of every show. The only ones that care are their mom and maybe grandma.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Congratulations, I’ll post something on your answering machine

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/npr/status/1153666835063148544?s=21

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Look at this loving headline lmao

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lovable, affable scamp strides into posh position of head hand-shaker. Matching America's own brand of smiling, if sometimes perplexing, Master of Sunshine.
A few critics in dark corners, however, are whispering politely that there is a chance that their 'ignorance' and 'fascism' may in fact be 'silly' or even 'goofy'.
We turn to our panel of experts, a glass of tepid water, my cat, and a recording of wind in the trees. I'm your host on 'Please don't consider', Avacada Onatost.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

are you kidding me with this lmao

nice ratio btw

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

$50 the entire headline was worked so they could say "populist" so the on air version can group sanders in there

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pre game Mueller Testimony Analysis
Mueller Testimony
Post Game Mueller Testimony Analysis
This, but “Mueller” https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r0kWxiijE40

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 24, 2019

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

D-Pad posted:

There was an article or blog from years ago about how much Garrison Kieller/Prairie Home Companion sucks and it was extremely funny. Just an epic rant. Over the years I have searched for it many times and never been able to find it again. Goons are good at finding things, please find this.

Is it this? This is what we know about A Prairie Home Companion

For some reason I can't find it on the original tumblr anymore

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
im white, im right

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*finds anti-nazis problematic*

https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/1154855357048655872

*platforms nazi white supremacists*

https://twitter.com/ross_hewage/status/1154938047105863680

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

stealie72 posted:

Which one?

NPR loves people who grew up in the Midwest and then moved to East Coast City for/after college. They have real heartland knowledge but were smart enough to leave those hicks behind and become urbanites. They were great for 2 years of Chud Safaris.

I forget her name but she's a semi-regular on this american life

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

we can't let an anti-nazi in here, what if she upsets our nazi guests?

what's that? why have nazi guests? this interview is over.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

we can't let an anti-nazi in here, what if she upsets our nazi guests?

what's that? why have nazi guests? this interview is over.
*literally defends platforming nazis after people get pissed off about it*
https://www.npr.org/2018/08/13/638102276/npr-criticized-for-interview-with-white-supremacist-jason-kessler

quote:

All right, an interview that ran on this program last Friday sparked a great deal of criticism. The interview was with Jason Kessler, an organizer of the white supremacist demonstrations in Charlottesville, Va., a year ago. He also planned yesterday's Unite the Right rally here in Washington, D.C. Many commentators criticized NPR, saying we gave Kessler a platform to broadcast hateful views. NPR put out a statement saying it stands by the airing of this interview. NPR's David Folkenflik put on his media critic's hat to take a look and a listen.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I'm howie menshevik and here's my take on the subtle biblical allegories hidden in the secret life of pets 2

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

christ

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh my god I'm so loving glad I'm gone lmao

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh my god I'm so loving glad I'm gone lmao

How bad was it when you were there, FAU?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I forgot to add the main tweet for context that the subject in question who used to be a contributor to npr is no longer a contributor because they are anti-nazi
https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/1154839540550569986

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Pershing posted:

From Marketplace this morning: "There's Hot Yoga...why not Hot Economics?"

Never have I turned off the radio so quickly.

Gotta get into those economics at 92 degrees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WlkMXj4sG8&t=30s

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The newest Planet Money is about the topic of “Elizabeth Warren wants to tax the ultra rich, which failed in Europe! What can we learn from that?” They go into many reasons why the idea is a bad one and would probably cost more than revenue. For the other side they find some guy who got rich by investing on Amazon early on and says he’s worried about people with pitchforks coming after him during a revolution and therefore rich people should pay more in taxes before the guillotines come out. The hosts keep pushing him and asking him how far it would take for him to no longer support the tax and he admits that if he no longer makes profit off of residual income and interest rates he would no longer support it.

Guess the idea is doomed to fail! Even those who support it are big hypocrites, now a word from our sponsors, Bettermint and Wells Fargo!

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

well its friday, time for story corps. join us wont you as we talk to a 97 year old ww2 vet and his wife of 83 years. we'll dig deep into their love story of getting married after meeting once for blind date that ended in a firm handshake. you'll probably cry after listening. are you crying now? HEY LOOK! THIS IS NPR AND THIS rear end in a top hat IS CRYING IN HIS ELANTRA!!!

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
story corps was the one thing that would 100% get me out of bed in the morning to go across the room and turn off the goddamn radio.

"hey remember this?"
"yeah I remember this"
"what about this?"
"yeah I remember that too"
"I love you"

but that was like 10 years ago when I still listened to npr.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Somfin posted:

How bad was it when you were there, FAU?
We were nowhere near the decision making on this sort of thing, and I liked the people I worked with. We definitely had some arguments about poo poo like this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Original_Z posted:

The newest Planet Money is about the topic of “Elizabeth Warren wants to tax the ultra rich, which failed in Europe! What can we learn from that?” They go into many reasons why the idea is a bad one and would probably cost more than revenue. For the other side they find some guy who got rich by investing on Amazon early on and says he’s worried about people with pitchforks coming after him during a revolution and therefore rich people should pay more in taxes before the guillotines come out. The hosts keep pushing him and asking him how far it would take for him to no longer support the tax and he admits that if he no longer makes profit off of residual income and interest rates he would no longer support it.

Guess the idea is doomed to fail! Even those who support it are big hypocrites, now a word from our sponsors, Bettermint and Wells Fargo!
*omits the time period that the US had over a 90+% top marginal federal income tax bracket which was a compromise from 100% which led to massive rising median living standards and real wages*