Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I was skeptical about the time travel stuff at first, mainly because it seems to get used as a crutch when shows, that don't already use time travel as a core element, run out of ideas, but I have to say the way Legion has been executing it is brilliant so far.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Chubby Henparty posted:

Kinda weird to see the Shadow King just chatting, little bit of exposition, listen guys here's the deal

He's a 2000 year old brain wizard. There's not much that he's likely to be too worked up by and is likely playing with the god boy who can break reality this whole time because literally wtf else are you gonna do all day at that point? He's probably already done the cult of drugs and hot chicks thing in every place and time where both were available since the invention of freak. Sure everyone else is worried that time is being eaten by demons but to him it's Tuesday #9857 with blue ones this time and he just wants to get back to having some fun.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

He's a 2000 year old brain wizard. There's not much that he's likely to be too worked up by and is likely playing with the god boy who can break reality this whole time because literally wtf else are you gonna do all day at that point? He's probably already done the cult of drugs and hot chicks thing in every place and time where both were available since the invention of freak. Sure everyone else is worried that time is being eaten by demons but to him it's Tuesday #9857 with blue ones this time and he just wants to get back to having some fun.

His mind palace is Casablanca with dudes in lingerie, he's operating on a totally different level as everyone else when it comes to being chilled out.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Just a friendly reminder that there is no evidence of how old he is and I'm not sure I'd take his word. I believe someone from Division 3 dated him back to the 18th century. I personally don't think he's 2000 years old as I feel like he would have easily been able to control the world in that era and likely would have been a god emperor by the time the events of Legion happen.

That said your general point about him toying with everyone and playing games is certainly valid. I reckon even after 200 years without anyone to challenge you or compete on your level you get bored and need to find new ways to amuse yourself. I don't think he has the level of control you're suggesting though.

I loved the episode, definitely some hallmarks from past great episodes with the creative directing, visual elements and music sequences.

I think Lenny's arc might have hit me the hardest. On the one hand she only got to see snippets of her child's life but what was shown seemed to be a healthy and beautiful relationship. I loved Lenny refusing to be sedated and acknowledging her need to feel the pain of the loss. I think an interesting direction to take would be to have her realize this proves she can be a good person and leads to her changing.

I thought David's speech to Lenny was pretty great too: "I'm gonna fix this, whatever it takes, whatever the universe throws at me, Division 3, time demons, send them all, I'll slay 'em all, 'cause this is my time, this is David's time and he's got things to do so...". It was a good example of him unraveling and losing control, the follow up later in the episode was great too. I would like it if they delved more deeply into his personalities as I thought the scene in the last finale was very informative and interesting.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Well poo poo just got massively real holy gently caress :staredog:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Goddamn was that good

holy poo poo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
lol drat

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They are really selling David as a super villain

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You can practically feel the Shadow King think "Yes, you are almost down to my moral level. Just a little more and you'd be ripe for my manipulation."

It was high time for all the voices in David to assert themselves, let us see where they lead the plot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

By popular demand posted:

You can practically feel the Shadow King think "Yes, you are almost down to my moral level. Just a little more and you'd be ripe for my manipulation."

It was high time for all the voices in David to assert themselves, let us see where they lead the plot.

Why let plot ruin a perfectly good season?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
When Lenny stabbed herself in the neck I knew poo poo was going to get real but goddamn!

Is next week the finale? I really like how they've gradually showed how absolute power has corrupted David's morals, especially when he's under pressure.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I'm glad they wrote Lenny off the show (for now) because she kind of felt like dead weight all season. I'm surprised though that they didn't at least slightly allude to the fact that David's sister is buried inside her somewhere.

Another great episode.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

rapeface posted:

Is next week the finale?

Wikipedia says three more episodes, ending with Chapter 27. Last night was 24.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

David, you blockhead! Was such a great 'gently caress everything I'm going out' line.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"I am Legion."

:hellyeah:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i glad he iced craig, personally

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
This episode ramped things up nicely

Preview spoiler pumped for Jemaine returning :woop:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
so did switch drop farouk into no-time? it seems like he was able to escape from that fairly easily lsst episode, so im not sure what thats gonna do

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The tanks turn red when David is upset, and that’s what Lenny was talking about when she asked why are they blue. I can’t believe I didn’t catch that at first

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So David isn't supposed to be sympatheic right? Because him going around and killing everyone willy nilly and saying it doesn't matter because he is going to fix everything makes him a selfish, spoiled rear end in a top hat. Like rather than stop being a needy, selfish jerk and try to be a better person, naw he'd just change reality so that's fine!

I don't know why Switch went with him so easily though. Going to assume that David planted a trigger inside of her to get her to do whatever he says later.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i dunno if i had unlimited power to bend reality and time id probably dissolve a bunch of jerks too

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

twistedmentat posted:

I don't know why Switch went with him so easily though. Going to assume that David planted a trigger inside of her to get her to do whatever he says later.

I read the song at the end as David psychically forcing Switch to help him. Last time he wanted to go back she was refusing and he was threatening to force her. Song and dance have been used to represent psychic control/battles in the show before, and after the song he just assumes she's willing, and she raises no objection.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, generally all the musical numbers are representative of some kind of psychic tomfoolery. the very first one in the show was David mindfucking Syd.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

twistedmentat posted:

So David isn't supposed to be sympatheic right?

I'm certainly not reading him as sympathetic. Then again, practically no one in the show is. This may be based on characters from a comic book, but it's not about heroes.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
im sympathetic to farouk's unrelenting coolness

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
That song from the very beginning I recognized from something else and I can’t place it. It sounded kinda Bollywood if that makes sense, idk how to describe it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah this show has a point and that David was always going to turn terrible with having infinite power, a wonderful reversal of adolescent power fantasies. Loving the hell out of this.

So loving stylish too, i rewinded so many scenes from this ep like Games Without Frontiers.

Rock solid prediction, this show will live forever in YouTube 10 min clips.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ex post facho posted:

im sympathetic to farouk's unrelenting coolness

I still need to get me a pair of those sunglasses.

beanieson posted:

That song from the very beginning I recognized from something else and I can’t place it. It sounded kinda Bollywood if that makes sense, idk how to describe it.

it's a Serge Gainsbourg song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W7iqt56FTE

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
It definitely seems like she's under his control. There was also the scene showing Switch as a robot with a little wind-up lever on her neck, which could symbolize that as well, but it also reminds us that she's still a bit of an unknown quantity insofar as the whole backstory with her dad and the robots is concerned.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Nah, I just found it, it’s this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWp7inRRiK4

Saturday night live used it in a recurring but a few years ago

beanieson fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 24, 2019

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is there any way to watch past season episodes on the FX app? I wasn't able to watch season 2 and decided to catch the most recent episode on FX which blew my mind in term of deaths and David's actions throughout.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

Is there any way to watch past season episodes on the FX app? I wasn't able to watch season 2 and decided to catch the most recent episode on FX which blew my mind in term of deaths and David's actions throughout.

the time demons got another one, folks

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Lmao I’m imagining watching this ep after seeing just season one and wtf

Imagine just dropping right into the previous ep with the blue meanies with zero context

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Shageletic posted:

Yeah this show has a point and that David was always going to turn terrible with having infinite power, a wonderful reversal of adolescent power fantasies. Loving the hell out of this.

So loving stylish too, i rewinded so many scenes from this ep like Games Without Frontiers.

What gets me is the casualness that is shown when David (and Farouk) use their powers. Like it's effortless. It's one of those things that the choreographed dance scenes have helped establish with the way they present the world. David could easily kill everyone, instantly, with a thought. And the only thing stopping him is that, at least right now, he doesn't want to.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Its a unique utilization of onscreen superheroics that doesnt come close to colorful rays or pliant stunt guys that we're used to seeing and is so much more powerful and hosed up cuz of it.

I'm gonna miss this show guys.

And also in a rare way, its ending well too.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I've missed every episode of this season so far (:argh:) but the massive turn in goon-mind from "David is a terrible person this show sucks :smith:" between seasons to "David is a terrible person this show fuckin' rocks :unsmigghh:" is great. :allears:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i think s2 is underrated personally, lookin at you s8 got

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

David didn't kill Cary or Kerry so he's not all bad.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

hulu has all of s1 and s2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

beanieson posted:

Nah, I just found it, it’s this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWp7inRRiK4

Saturday night live used it in a recurring but a few years ago

What bit would that be?

TV Zombie posted:

They're on Hulu for sure.