Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

2 SPOOKY posted:

Do we know what time the digital release is happening? I've seen a few countdowns on twitter but they were directly contradictory so lol.

Poking around google I can't find anything that says if it's midnight in every timezone or if everyone is getting it simultaneously.

Digital releases of Nintendo-published retail games usually unlock in North America at midnight Eastern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meallan posted:

Wow some of those paired endings look amazing.
yeah im actually really into seeing how some of these shake out

and the fact that some of these seem interesting probably means some of the straight stuff is interesting too

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 24, 2019

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

More than half the mastery classes being flying/mounted is hilarious. Might as well make everything mounted and balance from there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I still don't think FBlyleth's stockings looked good but watching some of these streams they seem easy to not notice while the game is in action so if they bother you, you'll probably tune them out when the game is under way.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

Well, I found a tumblr post about the same sex paired endings that analyzes how gay they seem:

https://gascon-en-exil.tumblr.com/post/186486275497/after-exhaustively-poring-over-the-text-dump-ive

Of course, this is just one person's opinion so take it with a massive grain of salt.

It’s impossible to say anything about quality before reading them but there are way more paired endings than I expected. It kinda seems like there might be one for each A rank support , and that’s pretty cool.

I’m feeling pretty optimistic about this game’s supports. They sound like they could be real rad.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it does make me more curious about lysithea tho, because her motif seems to be justifiably that nobles ain't poo poo and do bad things but she has nothing with the lion crew

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Tipps posted:

I'm just going to go full volcel in my playthrough then if I can't have a buff gay anime husband. :colbert:

:emptyquote:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its been a while since I've played a fire emblem game

how do you increase support again?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Also uh is it really true that Alois's MByleth S-support forces him to marry a woman in the ending with no player input cos I'd really like to avoid that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

eonwe posted:

Fight near each other and do stuff together in the Monastery

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Anyone watching streams know one that isn't being streamed by someone lovely? First one I found named F!Byleth "Thot" which tells me all I need to know about him and the next one said he picked his house because it wasn't "full of [homophobic slur]s."

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Terper posted:

Fight near each other and do stuff together in the Monastery

is it like just in the vicinity, or like side by side

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

is it like just in the vicinity, or like side by side

Side by side

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Bongo Bill posted:

Digital releases of Nintendo-published retail games usually unlock in North America at midnight Eastern.

Thanks both of you!

Having checked out the portraits for before/after, I'm having a hard time checking my hype for this game. The art direction for characters in particular slaps so hard, it's great.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

eonwe posted:

They perfected it in Path of Radiance and made it so you only had to spend chapters together so naturally that was thrown out the window and you have to do arbitrary actions next to each other until ur in love.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

They perfected it in Path of Radiance and made it so you only had to spend chapters together so naturally that was thrown out the window and you have to do arbitrary actions next to each other until ur in love.

but not too many at once, love caps out per map

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
How many walkthroughs do I have to go through to max out my support log

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
fanfiction.net isn't a walkthrough tho

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tipps posted:

I'm kind of annoyed that the MM romance options in new FE games seem to be trending towards the stereotype that only effeminate looking men can be gay.

They should learn a thing or two from Stardew Valley and just make everyone horny for everyone else, regardless of gender.

E: Granted, having now seen the post-time skip art for the men, none of them are particularly catching my eye anyways. Not a single Gerrik or Vaike in the bunch. :saddowns:

I was actually going to praise IS a bit for the MM options. Alois is a clearly adult man, not an anime pretty boy like most other FE characters. Gilbert is an older guy, but some people like those, too. Even though you're forced to play an anime pretty boy, at least you had some more diverse options. Not sure how I feel about Linhardt, I can't tell at a glance if they're male or female. But there are fans of androgynous characters as well, so it's all right.

Of course, if your S-support with Alois really is non-romantic and forces you to marry a woman at the end, that's just beyond the pale. Also, what kind of bullshit is Claude not being bi, especially with that dance/ball cutscene where they wink at you and then appear to lead MByleth to the dance floor?? The non-Byleth A-supports do actually seem to contain some acceptable MM parings, so that's cool. But they apparently really hosed up MByleth's same-sex romances, apart from Linhardt, which is just really annoying. Especially since they already did pretty badly with Fates.

IF they had done Linhardt, Alois and Gilbert right, I would be satisfied. They don't really appeal to me visually (with Alois being the most attractive imo), but at least they're a diverse sort of characters. And the few snippets of Alois conversations I've seen made him seem pretty sympathetic. And since Fates already had a more conventionally handsome gay option in Niles, I'm content if some game's gay options don't appeal to me, as long as there are varied characters to choose from.

But I agree with you that we could do with more classically masculine gay options. And it's difficult to have hopes for the next game, since Linhardt seems to be the classical effeminate gay, while Alois looks like an anti-gay option :(

That said, the everyone-is-bi stuff in Dragon Age 2 fulfilled it's purpose, but at the cost of making the romances basically genderless. The romances you had with a character were basically the same, whether you played as FHawke or MHawke. I vastly prefer Dragon Age: Inquisition's explicitly gay options.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the thing in da2 where anders' ex was the same gender as whatever your player character was was honestly super gross

also its worth noting that what happens in alois's ending is literally the thing samurai would do to engage in gay relationships. it's a bizarre pull, mind, but it could be a complex gay relationship and not 'and neither of them were gay', though it'll depend on the context of how the actual support goes. not any kind of defense at all, just a possibility. even if it is, it's still weird.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 24, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Endorph posted:

the thing in da2 where anders' ex was the same gender as whatever your player character was was honestly super gross

That's one of the things I meant, yeah. Those were not queer characters, they were just playersexual. Josephine's romance in Inquisition never making any reference to your gender was also a bad way to do a bisexual character. Dorian struggling with a homophobic father was so much better. I also liked Sera's romance, even if Sera herself was not always well received.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Gilbert's is also a non-romantic S support that just happens to have big shipping undertones - the actual S conversation is him pledging his personal fealty to you as your knight, rather than any sort of declaration of love.

Given in most endings, Byleth becomes the next archbishop and Gilbert is very much sworn to the service of the church, this just makes practical sense from a character standpoint but is definitely unexpected given the information we were presented.

I do like the premise of "support levels don't really have any bearing on how meaningful the actual relationship ends up being, just how much it pushes the characters forward in battle on their personal feelings" but that also could have been communicated

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 24, 2019

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
why do people keep expecting fe to be some kind of paradigm of lgb representation

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

General Morden posted:

why do people keep expecting fe to be some kind of paradigm of lgb representation

people engage in this conversation when talking about any game with dating sim aspects or at the very least a heavily player-characterized protagonist that has a lot of dialogue options. it's not about FE it's about evolving standards in media consumption

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Torrannor posted:

That's one of the things I meant, yeah. Those were not queer characters, they were just playersexual. Josephine's romance in Inquisition never making any reference to your gender was also a bad way to do a bisexual character. Dorian struggling with a homophobic father was so much better. I also liked Sera's romance, even if Sera herself was not always well received.

I liked Dorian enough that if I ever replay DA3 (huge mega lol that game sucked) I'm gonna marry him

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Mister Olympus posted:

people engage in this conversation when talking about any game with dating sim aspects or at the very least a heavily player-characterized protagonist that has a lot of dialogue options. it's not about FE it's about evolving standards in media consumption

any expectation of the series having any respectable representation of lgb relationships was thrown out the window with fates

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rhajat and niles were okay

they were very barebones and the lack of getting a kid was stupid but like, as characters they were fine. it wasn't the worst thing in the world or anything. and soleil was stupid but felt more like a victim of how tacked on kids were than anything, and i like her a lot as a character.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

General Morden posted:

any expectation of the series having any respectable representation of lgb relationships was thrown out the window with fates

drat best not expect any kind of good story to ever come out of fe again because of fates

also any kind of good gameplay

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Three Houses seems like it will be better about lgbt stuff than Fates if only because Fates (and Awakening) have major mechanics based around having all the guys in your army marry the girls in your army so you can absorb their spawn into your army, this also meant that there were like 3 times as many opposite-sex supports to same-sex supports. With opposite sex supports even getting an additional rank and conversation.

Though for some strange reason, even though it clearly doesn’t fit the game as much anymore the Avatar still has support systems that seem to draw from Fateswakening and still have some of those problems. At least it’s only for 1 character though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Though for some strange reason, even though it clearly doesn’t fit the game as much anymore the Avatar still has support systems that seem to draw from Fateswakening and still have some of those problems. At least it’s only for 1 character though.
because fates/awakening were popular mostly, this game is a hard shift away from a lot of the 3ds era stuff but there's still some obvious growing pains

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can someone spoiler tag for me what the gay romance not involving byleth is like

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Can someone spoiler tag for me what the gay romance not involving byleth is like

this tumblr post summarizes the samesex paired endings between other characters though its just their take (imo it misses the context that the mere act of having a paired ending already implies a lot about the relationship due to Game Mechanics and such) but its still a basic list of each pairing and a summary of the ending

huge spoilers obviously

if you want it with no plot spoilers then

there's about 9 female + female and 10 male + male same-sex supports that end in paired endings, they vary from explicitly romantic to 'and they spent the rest of their lives traveling around,' the only one that doesn't seem gay at all is ignatz/raphael and dimitri/gilbert

and if you want a list then (taking out the like two that actually are explicitly *not* romantic and one im not sure on)

edelgard/bernadetta
edelgard/lysithea
edelgard/manuela
dimitri/dedue
dimitri/felix
hubert/ferdinand
linhardt/caspar
caspar/ashe
petra/dorothea
dorothea/manuela
dedue/ashe
felix/sylvain
sylvain/ashe
annette/mercedes
hilda/marianne
leonie/shamir
shamir/catherine

the most explicitly romantic stuff here seems to be dimitri/dedue, linhardt/caspar, and anything involving dorothea or manuela

which is more same-sex endings than i remember the gba games having, which is cool even outside the context of gay rep, imo

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 24, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So how does the game determine which paired ending you get if supports are unlimited? Do A ranks lock out other A rank supports like S ranks did in Fateswakening?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Thanks Endorph, looks like it at least exists which was my main wondering

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

So how does the game determine which paired ending you get if supports are unlimited? Do A ranks lock out other A rank supports like S ranks did in Fateswakening?
We dunno yet. Could be you only get one A support, but that'd suck for post-timeskip stuff. Could be that you get the paired ending of the first A support you do. Could be some weird system where you choose the ending. Could be that it's determined by how many support points they gained after hitting A. There's lots of systems they could have gone with for this, and we dunno yet.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I mean I'm really just happy that paired endings are in at all after all the weirdness with Byleth being the only one to get S supports (which is even loving weirder now that we have more info).

Its too bad all the mechanical stuff is still so buried, I'm trying to avoid story spoilers as much as possible but there's a ton of mechanics stuff I'd like to know going in.

Especially if the game really does have random events depending on stats like people were reporting

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 24, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

because fates/awakening were popular mostly, this game is a hard shift away from a lot of the 3ds era stuff but there's still some obvious growing pains

Yeah I know why but I still find it annoying.

So far Byleth being a player Avatar is really the only thing I’m particularly down on design wise though. Everything else seems like really positive moves to me and although some of it is pre-release hype I’m getting more and more confident about this game. I’m really excited for it.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
Post-timeskip mechanic (but not related to the support discussion): there are still opportunities to recruit students from other houses post-timeskip when you defeat them in battle

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mister Olympus posted:

I also remember reading some initial reviews that mentioned they thought the characters could be read as bi, and as such I was hoping for more LGBT romances. It's dumb, but as a big dumb lesbian, I love shipping and dating sims and doing lesbian things in dating sims so it'd be a selling point for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

I also remember reading some initial reviews that mentioned they thought the characters could be read as bi, and as such I was hoping for more LGBT romances. It's dumb, but as a big dumb lesbian, I love shipping and dating sims and doing lesbian things in dating sims so it'd be a selling point for me.
there's non byleth f/f romance stuff that seems generally decent

also m/m stuff actually

this game doesn't seem that bad about this stuff at first blush minus some issues, it just seems like the angles its decent at it from come in a different direction than people expect. ofc we'll see when its actually out instead of from a disjointed text dump

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 24, 2019