Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely can't imagine what their problem with flying is which is why I'm confused. Does it break something?

It's more ~*immersive*~ to have to travel through zones that you've spent a hundred hours in on foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You go around the world way more often and way more frequently in WoW than you do in ff14, even at max, where ff14 kinda turns into a lobby game for the average player, you're out and about in WoW. I don't agree with their idea to limit flying but I can get why they wanted to, it renders all the map design choices and stuff kinda moot when you just fly over everything.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

quote:

Having looked at how flying has played out in the old world in the last couple of expansions, we realized that while we were doing it out of this ingrained habit after we introduced flying in The Burning Crusade, it actually detracted from gameplay in a whole lot of ways. While there was certainly convenience in being able to completely explore the world in three dimensions, that also came at the expense of gameplay like targeted exploration, like trying to figure out what’s in that cave on top of a hill and how do I get up there. It made the world feel in many ways much smaller.

https://www.inquisitr.com/2114048/draenor-is-a-no-fly-zone-world-of-warcraft-has-no-plans-to-include-flying-mounts-in-warlords-of-draenor/

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Will switching to a prefered server make me disconnect less? It's happening two or three times per trust dungoen on excal and it's driving me nuts.

I'd seriously doubt it, especially if it's in the same data center.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well the thing about flying in WoW is that zone access isn't locked by the MSQ (there is no MSQ). So theoretically you might reach max level without visiting every zone (this was the norm back when I was playing, actually) and then start flying over stuff before you've explored it on foot.

The way FF14 handles aethercurrents is basically a genius solution that maybe they should just copy already.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

UHD posted:

they think it trivializes their bespoke content

And, still, the best part is that it's not even that good. It's just very plodding.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also remember that with a few exceptions, WOW doesn't have and has never had instant teleportation like in FF14. You gotta take a one-way griffon taxi if you want to get anywhere "quick".

Every time I've gone back to WOW, the incredible amount of time it takes to get anywhere is one of the biggest drags.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It really seems to me that WoW could learn a lot from XIV just in terms of things like map/level design and story pacing (even having a story below max level would help).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Just a reminder - if you have Indigo Cloth, sell it before the week is out. It'll drop to sub 200k in another week. LIkewise, if you're wanting to buy the Summer Indigo Shirt, that should drop to under a million within the next two weeks.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely can't imagine what their problem with flying is which is why I'm confused. Does it break something?
It kinda trivializes the map design because you can just fly over any obstacles they put down to make quests harder/more annoying. In the past they've done it before where the daily quest zone had flying disabled for that reason. Also keep in mind that WoW is a game where getting from one part of the world to another actually takes some time and work and stuff like boats and airships are things they actually expect people to use, unlike in FF14 where its just like "oh you wanna go to this specific zone in Doma okay just pay 1k gil". Totally different mentality in that game

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Thundarr posted:

My favorite stupid E4 detail is that the shoulder pads rotate in sync with the wubs from the music track.

Wait

WHAT

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Kwyndig posted:

It really seems to me that WoW could learn a lot from XIV just in terms of things like map/level design and story pacing (even having a story below max level would help).

I’m not even sure if they should bother trying to match XIV in stuff like story and pacing. Or even could.

The zone stories themselves are okay but it still feels very disconnected from everything.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I was leveling up a new WoW character earlier this year and despite the fact that I actually wanted to finish the stories in a bunch of places it's just... a huge waste for a lot of it. You'll easily out level all of the storylines before you finish them, which also makes it more annoying to try and find groups to do story dungeons and stuff later on, but the stories were just not nearly as engaging a lot of the time imo

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

They both have pros and cons honestly. I feel like since you're actually walking around a lot more in WoW, places leave more of an impression on you than they do in 14, but on the other hand I enjoy being able to just zap to where I need to go at a moments notice.

Honestly I think the fact that zones are all fragmented in 14 is my biggest letdown. I like how everything is connected without load screens in WoW for each continent.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The music is diegetic.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, Titan is singing the lyrics...

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

UHD posted:

they think it trivializes their bespoke content
This is probably said mostly ironically, but it's basically the current WoW developer mindset. They know what's best for the game, player feedback is just random noise, gotta keep things slow and grindy because that's what keeps the players subscribed right? It's been almost hilarious to watch how badly they've tanked a lot of things in BFA by just making trivial petty little changes to fun mechanics often with no real justification than because some dev or another thought it broke their verisimilitude to let players keep a toy effect up constantly or something. It's absolutely baffling.

Comparing it to the FFXIV team is really like night and day. Like this game has a lot of issues, but almost all of them are due to weird ancient spaghetti code rather than intent. I mean you look at WOW where it took almost a year, two major patches, and multiple reputation grinds to be able to fly, and this expansion where one of the footnotes in the patch notes was "and now all mounts can fly, since why not".

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I never minded the new way WoW handles flying. You do your things once and then it's unlocked for all characters forever. The main issue is that they are bullheaded and purposely timegate it through several patches. It was nice in SHB to go through the zone like normal, get your currents, and have it at launch as a reward for completing the zone. But, it can be annoying to then have to do that again on all my other characters.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Honestly I think the fact that zones are all fragmented in 14 is my biggest letdown. I like how everything is connected without load screens in WoW for each continent.

At this point we can probably point to spaghetti code being the reason why zones in 14 are fragmented. There's probably a reason deep in the codebase that will make everything break if they try to unify the instances.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They both have pros and cons honestly. I feel like since you're actually walking around a lot more in WoW, places leave more of an impression on you than they do in 14, but on the other hand I enjoy being able to just zap to where I need to go at a moments notice.

Yeah its really easy to lose track of where things are in relation to each other in FF14, unless you really pay attention to maps and poo poo. Even just remembering what zones connect where doesn't help cause sometimes there are loving miles and miles separating them when you cross the zone line. It doesn't feel much like a world, which like maybe its a generational thing but that used to be what MMOs were about and that's still the WoW mentality

I'm guessing there are a lot of people that didn't get it when they reveal the world map in Shadowbringers, for that reason

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

At this point we can probably point to spaghetti code being the reason why zones in 14 are fragmented. There's probably a reason deep in the codebase that will make everything break if they try to unify the instances.

Always seemed like a console thing rather than spaghetti code, although I'm sure they both go hand in hand.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kwyndig posted:

Ehhhh I don't think they've ever expressed any interest in doing it the other way.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

dreffen posted:

I’m not even sure if they should bother trying to match XIV in stuff like story and pacing. Or even could.

The zone stories themselves are okay but it still feels very disconnected from everything.

This is what WoW storytelling gets you:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm fine with zones being separated, since it's not like WOW's zones are particularly well blended together. They always have some physical barrier to clearly delineate them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There's a certain theater-set quality to a lot of stuff in FFXIV which I think works to its strength because it's not really trying to be hyper-realistic so much as provide very immersive specific areas. Like none of the zones, save possibly Azys Lla, are meant to be 1:1 exact and complete versions of whatever-it-is.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Asimo posted:

This is probably said mostly ironically, but it's basically the current WoW developer mindset. They know what's best for the game, player feedback is just random noise, gotta keep things slow and grindy because that's what keeps the players subscribed right? It's been almost hilarious to watch how badly they've tanked a lot of things in BFA by just making trivial petty little changes to fun mechanics often with no real justification than because some dev or another thought it broke their verisimilitude to let players keep a toy effect up constantly or something. It's absolutely baffling.

Comparing it to the FFXIV team is really like night and day. Like this game has a lot of issues, but almost all of them are due to weird ancient spaghetti code rather than intent. I mean you look at WOW where it took almost a year, two major patches, and multiple reputation grinds to be able to fly, and this expansion where one of the footnotes in the patch notes was "and now all mounts can fly, since why not".

i was 100% serious

its how blizzard has always operated and its increasingly biting them in the rear end

Mordiceius posted:

This is what WoW storytelling gets you:

i still love this :allears:

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm fine with zones being separated, since it's not like WOW's zones are particularly well blended together. They always have some physical barrier to clearly delineate them.

flying in wow just made me realize how many zones in that game are just bowls made of mountains

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Will switching to a prefered server make me disconnect less? It's happening two or three times per trust dungoen on excal and it's driving me nuts.

Probably not but a VPN like Mudfish might depending on where the connection is dropping?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Whether it's deliberate I can't say, but the animation cycle matches up more or less perfectly.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The invisible zone boundaries in 14 are much better at portraying a sense of scale than WoW's "Everything's a bowl" mentality.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ffxiv has gotten info a nice rhythm where it feels like 90% of each patch is a known but fun quantity and the remaining 10% is a complete crapshoot. As long as they stick to that the game will do well for a long time but if they start experimenting with having more resources devoted to the more "interesting" content that could send things downhill real fast. Imagine if diadem had been a major, required part of gameplay instead of something you could just ignore

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Regarding zone design, I just got to Coerthas while going through AAR and it's the first time a zone felt geographically connected and populated in my mind rather than a series of scenic vistas connected by hallways in the three starter zones (in the case of the Shroud often not even that scenic).

I initially thought I stepped foot in an extension zone since it felt so different from what I had experienced before.

The loading screens and split zones really do detract from the game, especially in the starting cities. Being able the aetherite plaza in Lower Limsa completely unpopulated from the upper part in particular felt like a bad design decision.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the 2.0 zones were so small because that made them easier to make and they were desperate to resurrect the corpse of the game. They got much bigger in the very first expansion.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

For some reason the MSQ stuff in Heavensward has like... 30 minute queues as a bard!

I am considering unlocking Gunbreaker and using it only to do MSQ stuff like this and switching back, and possibly making my entire party super mad that I have no idea what I'm doing

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like the 2.0 design, it feels cozy. You can walk through an area in a reasonable amount of time without having to sprint or mount up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

escape mechanism posted:

The loading screens and split zones really do detract from the game, especially in the starting cities. Being able the aetherite plaza in Lower Limsa completely unpopulated from the upper part in particular felt like a bad design decision.
That one is totally Console Limitations, the city designs were carried over from 1.0 but they split them in half to make them more manageable. You used to be able to look down from the balconies in Uldah or the upper parts of Limsa and see people and it was much cooler

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

For some reason the MSQ stuff in Heavensward has like... 30 minute queues as a bard!

I am considering unlocking Gunbreaker and using it only to do MSQ stuff like this and switching back, and possibly making my entire party super mad that I have no idea what I'm doing
The 60 dungeon is in a separate roulette that is way less popular than LDR, so it takes longer to pop

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

For whatever reason the loading screens don't really bother me. It's not like there's usually a sudden change in environment accompanying the zone shifts, and it's just as weird when you'll be flying in WoW and suddenly there'll be a line where the environment dramatically changes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

escape mechanism posted:

Playstation 3 limitations (no joke).

OG FFXIV 1.0 was supposed to come out on PS3 and didn't, so the 2.0 team made a promise to make it happen. We're still dealing with the fallout.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How Do I target different allies with an xbox controller?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Baron Porkface posted:

How Do I target different allies with an xbox controller?

DPAD up/down I'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

No those activate hotbar abilities.