Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I take it Facebook blocking a reporter is the 2019 equivalent of hastily walking from your car to the front door while a camera crew follows you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/09/police-officers-who-hit-their-wives-or-girlfriends/380329/

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Busket Posket posted:

https://medium.com/@ianmack/love-will-be-the-death-of-us-7baa690dcd0

Boy oh boy it’s distracting how he writes like a hack when it comes to describing women

Well this is amusing. Ian used to be a friend of my brother. Hell he might still be for that matter. I remember meeting him a few times ages ago, and I remember when his whole divorce/break up/whatever thing was going on. When he told me brother that he was going to propose an open relationship my brother pretty much called a loving idiot.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Judging strictly by the link only: all of them?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Law enforcement in the villages is a really tough nut to crack.

On one hand you usually have an Alaska State Trooper in each of the villages beyond ~100 people, on the other, it's usually that trooper's first assignment, it's viewed as a kinda "this sucks but you gotta go do it before you can run patrol between Anchorage and Girdwood, or Anchorage and the Mat-Su Valley", and it doesn't have a very great pay differential to some of the more prestige routes. Add in that the majority of AST is white and male and majority of the people they are policing are AK Native tribes with obvious biases toward each other, and these villages don't have the money or infrastructure to create a self-policing force, and you have a perfect storm. ADD TO THAT that the interior villages have no routes in or out besides aircraft, one of the highest alcoholism, rape, and domestic violence populations in the US, and yeah it's just poo poo all around.

As someone who has lived here for 35 of my 37 years, I don't know how to solve this without a huge influx of public funds, and with a state that has grossly mismanaged those public funds, and how they are distributed, I don't see an obvious answer.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Imagine working on a building site and discovering a pile of a thousand teeth.

article posted:

More than 1000 human teeth were found at a building demolition spot in Invercargill in what has been described as a macabre sight.

Work at the inner-city spot, where buildings were being demolished so a new hotel can be built by the Invercargill Licensing Trust, was halted for several hours while an archaeologist traced back the roots of the teeth.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/114439566/more-than-1000-human-teeth-found-at-invercargill-building-site

It was due a dentist who owned the building in the 50s and 60s, at least.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Imagine working on a building site and discovering a pile of a thousand teeth.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/114439566/more-than-1000-human-teeth-found-at-invercargill-building-site

It was due a dentist who owned the building in the 50s and 60s, at least.

They found and excavated the foundation of a pre-Revolutionary War tavern on my college campus, and one of the most common items found during the dig were teeth. Because back then, you didn't so much "go to the dentist" as "go get wasted and then hand your friend the pliers."

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

There are worse things to find while doing work on a building, like the body of a coworker that disappeared ten years ago:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/22/us/supermarket-missing-person-death-trnd/index.html

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

duz posted:

There are worse things to find while doing work on a building, like the body of a coworker that disappeared ten years ago:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/22/us/supermarket-missing-person-death-trnd/index.html

quote:

He is thought to have fallen into the 18-inch gap between the back of the cooler and a wall, where he became trapped. Noise from the coolers' compressors may have concealed any attempts to call for help, according to Weddum.

People say that obesity is unhealhty but they never talk about the times it saves you

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

xtal posted:

People say that obesity is unhealhty but they never talk about the times it saves you

There's a couple places I've been at that have a sign to the effect of "skinny people are easier to kidnap" which... strikes me as a bad sign from so, so many angles.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

duz posted:

"No signs of trauma" just makes it worse! He was back there awake and starved to death, I'd much rather him have conked his head or something

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

There's a couple places I've been at that have a sign to the effect of "skinny people are easier to kidnap" which... strikes me as a bad sign from so, so many angles.

I've read from a self defence instructor say you should never let someone drag you off somewhere and that going limp is an effective last ditch strategy because a human body is a pain in the rear end to move anywhere.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

bamhand posted:

I've read from a self defence instructor say you should never let someone drag you off somewhere and that going limp is an effective last ditch strategy because a human body is a pain in the rear end to move anywhere.

Yeah, the adage (and you hear it from police, too) is "Never move from one crime scene to another." You're better off, in general, having him shoot you in your back yard than going with him to a more isolated space. Cold but true.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, the adage (and you hear it from police, too) is "Never move from one crime scene to another." You're better off, in general, having him shoot you in your back yard than going with him to a more isolated space. Cold but true.

STREET SMARTS

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The most effective self-defense training is running. The best option to reduce your chances of being harmed in a dangerous situation is to not be in that dangerous situation anymore. That isn't always possible of course but that should be the primary goal; get the gently caress out. In the case of getting in the car, well, don't. Your chances are better if you get shot and just left there then if you go wherever they're planning on taking you. It can be nice to fantasize about being a heroic badass that would totally kick the poo poo out of the bad guy but, well, that can just escalate the situation and said bad guy probably has friends who may or may not be nearby. There's nothing wrong with just running the hell away.

Granted if all somebody wants is your money then just give it to them and send them on their way.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

bamhand posted:

I have also heard this as advice for civil disobedience - takes more cops to drag you off that way.

My dog also uses this strategy when she does not want to go in her kennel.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Granted if all somebody wants is your money then just give it to them and send them on their way.

Hence the practice of having mugging money.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

duz posted:

Hence the practice of having mugging money.

It's like tips, only for crime!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

All ladies should carry a brick in their handbag to thwart would be assailants. Men can simply fold a brick into their wallets for the same reason.

edit:
This is coming from a guy that now has forehead scars from my attempted mugging, which I'm sure would not have happened if I had a wallet brick.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is coming from a guy that now has forehead scars from my attempted mugging, which I'm sure would not have happened if I had a wallet brick.
Serves you right for being a robber.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just trying to make ends meet here fella. Now do you wanna by my wallet bricks or not?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXfUsXM01UE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlBRL4o77tU

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Jul 23, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Oh my god he’s every bit as Bittenbinder as I imagined

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
every time i see a man i instantly flee

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

nankeen posted:

It’s not a bad policy to have.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Who was that goon that posted asking for advice on the best self defense weapon to carry. He wanted a big rear end knife or collapsible baton I think. And in true goon fashion ignores everyones advice and carried it anyways, then tried to create scenarios where he could use it to defend himself

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

nankeen posted:

Opened this and the bird thread at the same time and nodded sagely before I realized where I was

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blue On Blue posted:

Who was that goon that posted asking for advice on the best self defense weapon to carry. He wanted a big rear end knife or collapsible baton I think. And in true goon fashion ignores everyones advice and carried it anyways, then tried to create scenarios where he could use it to defend himself

Well, this guy proved all of us doubters to be fools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfUvW_3C3U

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blue On Blue posted:

Literally nobody buys that poo poo without some sort of hero fantasy backing up the purchase in their head. If you buy any sort of instrument that’s labeled as “tactical” you’re secretly hoping to get in a confrontation every time you leave the house with it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, this guy proved all of us doubters to be fools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfUvW_3C3U

Best part of his story is he died by drowning after falling out of a boat while taking his underage female “student” out to a secluded island for training

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
The Most Gullible Man in Cambridge A Harvard Law professor who teaches a class on judgment wouldn’t seem like an obvious mark, would he?

Just... holy poo poo.

“Hay remains mystified about what the women really wanted from him. Money appears to be a factor but not necessarily the only one — after all, theirs was a long, expensive, and punitive game with no guarantee of a big payoff. Hay says Shuman once told him they’d targeted him for signing an open letter in late 2014 calling for more due process in Harvard’s Title IX proceedings. (Shuman denies ever saying this.) ‘I don’t know if that’s the real reason or something she made up later,’ says Hay. In May 2018, Hay received a barrage of text messages from an unknown number: ‘Find a way to connect if you want a chance to take the last exit before HELL … Take my word, you ain’t seen nothing yet. I promise. Oh and as to your quest for motives? Don’t bother. I just really hate the patriarchy, that’s it.’”

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

pookel posted:

I have also heard this as advice for civil disobedience - takes more cops to drag you off that way.

My dog also uses this strategy when she does not want to go in her kennel.

My cats use it when it's time for them to go to the vet for a checkup.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Busket Posket posted:

The Most Gullible Man in Cambridge A Harvard Law professor who teaches a class on judgment wouldn’t seem like an obvious mark, would he?

Just... holy poo poo.

“Hay remains mystified about what the women really wanted from him. Money appears to be a factor but not necessarily the only one — after all, theirs was a long, expensive, and punitive game with no guarantee of a big payoff. Hay says Shuman once told him they’d targeted him for signing an open letter in late 2014 calling for more due process in Harvard’s Title IX proceedings. (Shuman denies ever saying this.) ‘I don’t know if that’s the real reason or something she made up later,’ says Hay. In May 2018, Hay received a barrage of text messages from an unknown number: ‘Find a way to connect if you want a chance to take the last exit before HELL … Take my word, you ain’t seen nothing yet. I promise. Oh and as to your quest for motives? Don’t bother. I just really hate the patriarchy, that’s it.’”

If a man this gullible can teach a class on judgment I think I'd end up frustrated with the patriarchy as well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rumor is this dude has an investigation going on regarding accusations of breaking his schools policy on not loving grad students and this is him trying to muddy the narrative by making him look like a victim of awful women who hate him for no reason.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Barudak posted:

Rumor is this dude has an investigation going on regarding accusations of breaking his schools policy on not loving grad students and this is him trying to muddy the narrative by making him look like a victim of awful women who hate him for no reason.

It's a pretty easily debunkable attempt if what you're saying is actually true, what with all the obvious evidence of fakery there'd be.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's a pretty easily debunkable attempt if what you're saying is actually true, what with all the obvious evidence of fakery there'd be.

No no, not with these women, different women. I.e. he is accused of being improper with other women, goes public with this so any other accuser is mentally associated with these. Just rumor I read so also likely unfounded, and lord knows this guy seems dumb enough for it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Barudak posted:

I find that more believable than him just being so completely gullible.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

M_Sinistrari posted:

based on what i know about professional academics, i fully believe he is that gullible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

M_Sinistrari posted:

I admit I skimmed, but I don't see where all this is supposed to add up to "gullible"? Sounds like he was in a toxic & messy relationship with a couple of people who blame him for a lot of things & lied to him about some things. What I don't see is any evidence that this was a planned scam of some kind.