Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Self-driving AI could use some work though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Reminds me of that Ohio teenager who got trapped in a van after the seats slid back over a storage space or something and then called the cops on his cell phone to get help but they didn't look closely enough and left him and he died.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/12/us/ohio-teen-pinned-minivan-trnd/index.html

This incident. Where part of the problem was there being 7 parking lots and the cops only taking 11 minutes to try to find him, but when he called back with the specific color and model of the van he was in the operator never responded or passed on the information.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

haveblue posted:

Self-driving AI could use some work though

I doubt a horse has ever looked below a semi trailer and assumed it could go under it. I doubt horses aim for firetrucks and school buses.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

PetraCore posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/12/us/ohio-teen-pinned-minivan-trnd/index.html

This incident. Where part of the problem was there being 7 parking lots and the cops only taking 11 minutes to try to find him, but when he called back with the specific color and model of the van he was in the operator never responded or passed on the information.

God drat just check every loving window in every lot at that point. 11 minutes :(

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

KoRMaK posted:

God drat just check every loving window in every lot at that point. 11 minutes :(
The thing that gets me is I'm not even sure how visible he was from the windows but you could at least knock on the back of each van and listen for a knock back.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

PetraCore posted:

The thing that gets me is I'm not even sure how visible he was from the windows but you could at least knock on the back of each van and listen for a knock back.

why waste time on unimportant bullshit when there's minorities to harrass

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

why waste time on unimportant bullshit when there's minorities to harrass
It's probably just a prank, right? :(

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

mobby_6kl posted:

As long as it's got locking front and rear hooves.

(I don't know why it's reversed)

Cojawfee posted:

I doubt a horse has ever looked below a semi trailer and assumed it could go under it. I doubt horses aim for firetrucks and school buses.

That's cause they know they can go under it just fine.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Grocery store employee missing for 10 years found behind store's cooler

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/22/us/supermarket-missing-person-death-trnd/index.html

:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

Lol that's the grocery store I shopped at while I was going to college. Way before the kid uh, did whatever he did but still weird.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Nerses IV posted:

1hp but a whole shitload of torque

1/2 HORSEPOWER

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

BMan posted:

A horse can produce up to 15 peak horsepower :science:

:psypop:

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Nerses IV posted:

1hp but a whole shitload of torque

1 horse torque

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's true, but the average output of a horse over the course of a day is actually quite close to 1 horsepower. That's actually how a horsepower was first determined - by measuring how much power an average horse could put out through the course of a working day.

A horse, or a human for that matter, can put out considerably more than 1 horsepower for a short time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Most humans can't reach that point and no human can put out "considerably" more than 1hp. Olympic athletes at peak exertion can get up to like 1500 watts (2hp) for a few seconds at a time but what most people consider vigorous exercise is like 200-250W (1/3hp) maybe.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Sagebrush posted:

Most humans can't reach that point and no human can put out "considerably" more than 1hp. Olympic athletes at peak exertion can get up to like 1500 watts (2hp) for a few seconds at a time but what most people consider vigorous exercise is like 200-250W (1/3hp) maybe.

World tour cyclist sprinters can absolutely crank out more than 1500 watts for more than a few seconds. Even some lower level pro sprinters can crack 2000 watts

here is the US national amateur crit champion Justin Williams peaking at 1900 watts and keeping it above 1500 for about 5 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnIOty0PPIs

Top pro sprinters can go for more peak power and for longer

Hell, I am a garbage level cyclist and I can crack 1200 watts (1.6hp) for a few seconds in a sprint

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I read that Chris Hoy could do 2500 watts peak for those super short track sprints. Which, based on his legs, seems plausible...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I assume rowers have comparable or even higher output since they're using more of their body: https://peakcentre.wordpress.com/2009/01/20/peak-power-the-limiting-factor-to-rowing-performance/

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://video.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.90...c47&oe=5D37B4C2

Some good Aussie road manners in this

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
If that's Galston gorge in Sydney that guy is mental taking a big rig down there

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I assume rowers have comparable or even higher output since they're using more of their body: https://peakcentre.wordpress.com/2009/01/20/peak-power-the-limiting-factor-to-rowing-performance/

Maybe, but rowing races are much longer events so the effort has to be paced to some degree. Track cycling has funny stuff where lots of laps in a race are about positioning and they only actually sprint all-out for like 10 seconds, so they can peak super high without much endurance elements.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
And in a pinch, if you live somewhere without Uber, the horse can take you home if you're drunk! :v:

https://billingsgazette.com/news/st...e9311d3e4c.html

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

And in a pinch, if you live somewhere without Uber, the horse can take you home if you're drunk! :v:

*offer not good in California or Florida

https://www.newsweek.com/california-man-drunkenly-rides-horse-freeway-gets-dui-820276

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

aejix posted:

If that's Galston gorge in Sydney that guy is mental taking a big rig down there

yes, Macquarie Pass

worker has to do what they have to do :shrug:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Seems that dude in the pickup with the horse trailer was taking up way too much road, I can understand the driver being pissed. Backing up to continue the argument, though? Yah nah, mate

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Sagebrush posted:

I remember in my high school physics class, we grabbed stopwatches, metersticks, and weighed volunteers. We then timed the volunteers running up a fight of stairs and saw who could break a horsepower. A couple guys did.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

https://billingsgazette.com/news/st...e9311d3e4c.html

So the joke about "the horse is driving and completely sober" DUI avoidance is actually true? :wtf:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Mistle posted:

So the joke about "the horse is driving and completely sober" DUI avoidance is actually true? :wtf:

No, if you live in a rural enough place to make riding a horse in the street feasible the cops are probably just as drunk as you.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

chitoryu12 posted:

Same reason you'll see a rebel get a machine gun and use it by just walking out into the street dumping it from the hip. They have nowhere near enough experience or training to know that they're uselessly dumping ammo. They just know "I have a machine gun and imma shoot it!"

So much of the Syrian war footage I've seen is bizarrely amateur by even the most basic standards of common sense.

*Dude strolls out into the middle of a street and hip-fires an entire magazine on full auto in the general direction of where he thinks the enemy might be, while his buddy films him on his mobile*

*Shades his eyes and has a good look to evaluate what damage he's done while continuing to stand out in the open*

*Cap flies up into the air as a hidden sniper plugs him straight in the head*

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what in tarnation

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
This sure looks fun, that guy's totally hosed up mount/tiedown situation, combined with this problem:

If it holds maybe not so bad since the truck is over the axles of the trailer, won't hold tho.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pistol_Pete posted:

So much of the Syrian war footage I've seen is bizarrely amateur by even the most basic standards of common sense.

*Dude strolls out into the middle of a street and hip-fires an entire magazine on full auto in the general direction of where he thinks the enemy might be, while his buddy films him on his mobile*

*Shades his eyes and has a good look to evaluate what damage he's done while continuing to stand out in the open*

*Cap flies up into the air as a hidden sniper plugs him straight in the head*

That’s kinda what happens when untrained people fight a civil war. The ones who don’t die get some on the job training and figure out what is and isn’t a terrible idea.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

In 100 meters there will be a left turn that is 5/5 sharp and be careful not to cut the corner.

auto rally co-drivers constantly read directions like that to the driver, alerting them about upcoming turns and hazards.

Example:

:sanix:
Small...

Far away...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:magical:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This one really gets me. I'm no engineer but it just seems that the forces on these pieces are going to be well in excess of what they can handle (and exerted in different directions than where they do have strength). These can't be off the shelf parts, right? Someone had to weld up this abomination?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

They’re off the shelf, just used wrong. The lift on the hitch there is intended for a tall truck and is being used upside down. The trailer is a bog standard fifth wheel and is supposed to go on a ball in the middle of the truck bed right over the axle, that’s why it has the big up-and-over profile on the tongue.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LifeSunDeath posted:

This sure looks fun, that guy's totally hosed up mount/tiedown situation, combined with this problem:
If it holds maybe not so bad since the truck is over the axles of the trailer, won't hold tho.

The load being nearly centered on the trailer axles is almost the only thing done right in that series. Every picture is an additional layer of failure. Like a failure onion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Bad Munki posted:

They’re off the shelf, just used wrong. The lift on the hitch there is intended for a tall truck and is being used upside down. The trailer is a bog standard fifth wheel and is supposed to go on a ball in the middle of the truck bed right over the axle, that’s why it has the big up-and-over profile on the tongue.

My grandfather was killed by a runaway trailer carrying a car, which was connected improperly and didn't have tow chains. It came off the truck, crossed lanes, and totaled the truck carrying my grandfather and brother. My brother spent three months in the hospital with broken legs and pelvis.

This person towing this abomination should have his license and insurance revoked.