Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Elite Dangerous is pretty cool for a bit but gets deadly boring

Open world space games sound cool in theory but space is boring and empty. Mission based space games like Freespace and TIE Fighter are cooler. House of the Dying Sun is kinda neat, though a little barebones.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
I don't really care about gameplay i just want to pretend im picard for an hour or two and visit some planets and do some space crimes. Kinda shocking how little there is in this space considering the black hole of money SC is. E:D locks you in to the cockpit, right?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

queef anxiety posted:

I don't really care about gameplay i just want to pretend im picard for an hour or two and visit some planets and do some space crimes. Kinda shocking how little there is in this space considering the black hole of money SC is. E:D locks you in to the cockpit, right?

I say this kind of a lot, but have you looked into Pulsar: Lost Colony? Cause if you don't mind the fact that it looks like something that came out of a cat's rear end in a top hat, that's the game for you.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

queef anxiety posted:

Space engine dispenses with he whole ‘game’ thing and simulates a large part of the known universe. It’s on Steam now.

It’s not to everyone’s taste, but i like looking for really nice alien sunsets.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

queef anxiety posted:

E:D locks you in to the cockpit, right?

Yeah.

No man's sky doesn't! :downs:

Its crazy there's nothing nearly as good as XWING & TIE

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Ghostlight posted:

beware reddit of our premium features such as paying :10bux: once instead of an insane subscription service that gold stars you like a loving kindergartener.

Well you can just pay :10bux: for the basic goon package, but I suggest getting the Goon Legatus Pack™ to unlock all the smilies.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

queef anxiety posted:

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw releases next month, and The Outer Worlds towards the end of the year. One, or both, should be perfect for you

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

queef anxiety posted:

i got a new ultrawide and want to play nerd simulator for a bit with foip and hotas and gameglass and all that poo poo. what're my options so i dont have to install this mess and give croberts a few key bumps. Elite:D?

ty goons

Il2 Sturmovik

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also this is gonna sound crazy but which secret thread has the link to crytek's donation page?

If we can get everyone in the thread to pledge 100$ a month, not only will we be able to fund the bond they had to pay, but we could keep this legal fiasco going for years!

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Jobbo_Fett posted:

crytek's donation page?

For fucks sake, Platinum Account tag that poo poo.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Hello technically the only games that have gameplay loops are Sonic the Hedgehog and those games where you make rollercoasters yes thank you I am completely self-taught why do you ask

:hmmyes:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

Judge ruled on the bond, crytek has to cough up $500k

https://docdro.id/QeUAw3h

It is so ordered :allears:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also this is gonna sound crazy but which secret thread has the link to crytek's donation page?

If we can get everyone in the thread to pledge 100$ a month, not only will we be able to fund the bond they had to pay, but we could keep this legal fiasco going for years!

Check the discord for the link to the irc channel. Ask Derek for a "hot bear"

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Kosumo posted:

Are you guys telling me that the box in the box delivery mission is full of sand, there by making this a sandbox game?

Don't make fun. Star Citizen is definitely a sandbox game. There are so many different ways to accomplish whatever it is you want to do and the game just lets you do them all. No arbitrary limitations here! For instance if you're interested in exploration you could give Chris Roberts money for a Terrapin or you could give Chris Roberts money for a Carrack. If mining is more your speed then you could always obtain a Prospector by giving money to Chris Roberts. Just want to kick back and relax in luxury? Then the only thing keeping you from the 890 Jump is the money you haven't given to Chris Roberts yet.

Clearly Star Citizen is a sandbox because each grain of sand is for sale.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Experimental Skin posted:

First, on behalf of all Antipodeans, I'd like to apologize for this fuckwit. Secondly, is there any source at all for his soft reboot apologetic revisionism?

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

So it's complete Cymelion_Head_Cannon.txt

Cheers Miribot.

Also, PCWorld have the hot scoop on when SC is being released!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev3v3upnWaA&t=5734s

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

well, there was that 'every mission in sq42 is greybox or better' quote and then suddenly it wasnt

it does kind of read like a total wipe behind the scenes

wasted literally $100 million for literally nothing except an inaccurate website and a relative handful of assets - not including ships cuz those all had to be redone.

speaking of the website i noticed the one criticism that everyone seemed on board with that it was frankly ridiculous that the ships catalogue is hard to use, inaccurate, unhelpful, and out of date. I mean there's just one thing that they have shown to be good at, selling space jpgz, and they dont even put much effort into that!

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 24, 2019

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cheers Miribot.

Also, PCWorld have the hot scoop on when SC is being released!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev3v3upnWaA&t=5734s

Heh, everyone loves to make a joke about SC's release date.

Anyway, about Cymelion, yes and no. Its not just a single reboot though, there have been loads of them. There have been multiple flight model reboots. There was of course the handcrafted landing zones becoming whole planets reboot. There was the complete reboot of ships, because they only figured out how to deal with objects on ships after making and selling loads of them, so they had to rework them. There is the ongoing reboot of networking, since they did loads of work on the game and promised a massively multiplayer experience before actually even putting in code adequate to their needs.

Its just typical CIG development. Announce something or make something, then afterwards discover they don't actually have the code to support any of it, so it all has to be redone or created from scratch.

They put the cart before the horse.

PS: Also, i would now like to announce, I am indeed Captain Richard, deep cover goon operative and SC whale extraordinaire! AMA! As long as its not about the beard.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think this is it: https://www.turkiye.gov.tr

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

PS: Also, i would now like to announce, I am indeed Captain Richard, deep cover goon operative and SC whale extraordinaire! AMA! As long as its not about the beard.

Hi Captain Richard, my question is do you feel like a mature adult when you do your dance when someone subscribes or donates to your Twitch channel?

Also, you look surprised in your avatar picture, have you just found a new store to buy beards from?

Also also, how much better will Star Citizen be when CIG adds facial hair to the character creator?

Do you think women in Star Citizen should be able to have facial hair too?

Also another also - what do you think are the mistakes you have made in your life that have lead you to where you are?

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
some of those games mentioned look cool and good and i will give them a try or though i was hoping for something prettier than NMS. Also catching up on a few years of missed SC drama has been a great way to waste a day what a wild ride

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
A youtuber warning about SC based on recent absence of 'SSOCS' and Derek Smart, 3'11":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji50D0p9QLE

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The courts wrap up of the current legal debate in that bound document looks to be coming heavily down on the side of CI.

However much like an onion when they cut through the layers of complexity in "not using crytek any more" issue there may still be plenty of tears.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

Its just typical CIG development. Announce something or make something, then afterwards discover they don't actually have the code to support any of it, so it all has to be redone or created from scratch.

I would argue that they put the cart on the road but forgot to bring a horse at all, so now their cart is just blocking half the road and wasting everyone's time and money.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kosumo posted:

Hi Captain Richard, my question is do you feel like a mature adult when you do your dance when someone subscribes or donates to your Twitch channel?

Also, you look surprised in your avatar picture, have you just found a new store to buy beards from?

Also also, how much better will Star Citizen be when CIG adds facial hair to the character creator?

Do you think women in Star Citizen should be able to have facial hair too?

Also another also - what do you think are the mistakes you have made in your life that have lead you to where you are?

1) Yes, dancing is a celebration of life and maturity.

2) CIG promised us maximum fidelity so i expect it won't be long before we have the full range of hair and beard care options available in game.

3) Males, females, and of course pets, all should have beards as options.

4) I make no mistakes, just like Chris Roberts.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bofast posted:

I would argue that they put the cart on the road but forgot to bring a horse at all, so now their cart is just blocking half the road and wasting everyone's time and money.

The horse is in the pipeline?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

trucutru posted:

Check the discord for the link to the irc channel. Ask Derek for a "hot bear"

Derek banned me from his discird and I havent gotten around yet to paying the downvote bot guy to reg like 40 accounts and leave negative reactions on every post in there

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Agony Aunt posted:

Heh, everyone loves to make a joke about SC's release date.

Anyway, about Cymelion, yes and no. Its not just a single reboot though, there have been loads of them. There have been multiple flight model reboots. There was of course the handcrafted landing zones becoming whole planets reboot. There was the complete reboot of ships, because they only figured out how to deal with objects on ships after making and selling loads of them, so they had to rework them. There is the ongoing reboot of networking, since they did loads of work on the game and promised a massively multiplayer experience before actually even putting in code adequate to their needs.

Got any beard upkeep tips?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beexoffel posted:

A youtuber warning about SC based on recent absence of 'SSOCS' and Derek Smart, 3'11":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji50D0p9QLE

"...so strap-on in and..."

OK, TMI, TMI, I close the vid!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Got any beard upkeep tips?

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

IcarusUpHigh posted:

I too have been experimenting with a flight model in Unreal

https://streamable.com/jbk7a

This owns and I miss Toops

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

plz forgive bad meme

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Do you think backers realize that there are people out in the world that love to watch bad movies, specifically because they are bad, and get much laughter and enjoyment out of it, yeah?

Because that's basically what its like. We're the robots making dumb jokes while being silhouetted on the larger moving picture tableau that is Star Citizen's development (c.2011).

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Beexoffel posted:

CIG Intern posted:

As mentioned, SOCS is R&D intensive, which means lots of prototyping, testing, and learning as we go. Tech like this tends to only show up on the Roadmap with a data/release associated when we have a much clearer picture of when it will be done.

quote:

This has got to be the biggest fair in the whole project yet. You guys still haven't gotten SSOCS down. I can understand the bugs and all the other goofy stuff going on with the game but you're really here telling everyone SSOCS is still being researched? The engine is a train wreck. At least be honest with your backers and tell them the truth. The engine isn't made of this huge multiplayer world.. I hope this is a lesson to everyone involved in this mess. Stop funding dreams.

lol

So not only is 'Server Side Object Container Streaming' still being researched, they have no idea when it will be nearing completion. Well I have a pretty good idea. Right after SQ42's runaway success.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 24, 2019

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah.

No man's sky doesn't! :downs:

Its crazy there's nothing nearly as good as XWING & TIE

I recommend Elite Dangerous for spaceshipflying and switching over to deep rock galactic for mining stuff and fps, which basically gives you nomansky but better and more of it.

I agree with a slight correction, since Tie-Fighter nothing was released that was as amazing as Tie-Fighter *at its time*.
Also i am still waiting on something to beat History Line 1914-1918 in terms of amazingness *for its time*.
No scratch that, its still amazing to this day although a burden on the eye i am not willing to endure.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

95% of Star Citizen only exists as headcanon is what I've come to realize.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

The horse is in the pipeline?

It will be in the pipeline once they finish building their new horse pipeline. These things take time, you know.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DigitalPenny posted:

The courts wrap up of the current legal debate in that bound document looks to be coming heavily down on the side of CI.

However much like an onion when they cut through the layers of complexity in "not using crytek any more" issue there may still be plenty of tears.

Careful. Remember that this is a jury trial. The court is impartial. Or is supposed to be.

If Crytek escrow the half a million, we’re off to the races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I dunno about you, but I am inconsolable about whatever that thing is