Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What concern do you have if someone used a bus you don't like?

Indeed, why should anything that doesn't affect me personally be considered negative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
How can one man be that loving stupid

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

How can one man be that loving stupid

It is a shtick Owlofcreamcheese does.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Boot and Rally posted:

He should run for President of America.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Boot and Rally posted:

Aw man, it's like the day I learned Mr. Mcmahon wasn't real
:vince:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What concern do you have if someone used a bus you don't like?

it's funny to laugh at people who are all like "we spent five million dollars and ten thousand man hours inventing this: the large-scale rideshare vehicle, or LSRV" and normal people are like "uh yeah that's a bus"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FilthyImp posted:

Aw man, it's like the day I learned Mr. Mcmahon wasn't really dead after that limousine firebombing.
:vince:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

luxury handset posted:

this is the outcome of people enshrining STEM/business education as the highest and best knowledge to have, and remaining completely ignorant of human society in this or any timeframe

The same folks who whine about how useless the liberal arts are but don’t realize that science and mathematics are part of the liberal arts.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
"Ugh history what a bullshit course" *reinvents wheel*

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ryonguy posted:

"Ugh history what a bullshit course" *reinvents wheel*

Anyone remember those assholes a few months ago who acted like they invented the pince nez? They got really mad when folks started responding with pictures of Teddy Roosevelt.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Are you surprised that the industry that reinvented the cellar, editors, scrip, X-of-the-month clubs, transaction fees, and....

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
tech nightmares: doordash loving sucks

https://twitter.com/_alastair/status/1152944793569419264

luv 2 provide a small but generous tip to a $12 billion multinational's coffers

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Getaround lets you rent cars peer-to-peer. Lady rents Tesla from Getaround. Lady runs red light, kills one person, injures another. Lady didn't have driver's license. Oops. Bets on whose job it was to verify license?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Getaround lets you rent cars peer-to-peer. Lady rents Tesla from Getaround. Lady runs red light, kills one person, injures another. Lady didn't have driver's license. Oops. Bets on whose job it was to verify license?

The car's, obviously.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

App lives up to its name then; "No driver's licence? Getaround that!"

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The article says that the PD is looking in to whether "autopilot" was engaged. So my money is on everyone:
A) The lady who rented a car without a license
B) The guy who owned the car but didn't check for a license
C) Getaround for not doing anything, it seems like
D) Tesla, for beta testing in public
E) The state of California for not shutting this poo poo down at points B or D

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

HootTheOwl posted:

Are you surprised that the industry that reinvented the cellar, editors, scrip, X-of-the-month clubs, transaction fees, and....

There's another one where they reinvented phrenology, but I never saved the tweet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why do tech companies fix what isn't broke. twitter's ui was fine.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Groovelord Neato posted:

why do tech companies fix what isn't broke. twitter's ui was fine.

"you weren't clicking enough ads, you soon will (so we hope)"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MickeyFinn posted:

The article says that the PD is looking in to whether "autopilot" was engaged. So my money is on everyone:
A) The lady who rented a car without a license
B) The guy who owned the car but didn't check for a license
C) Getaround for not doing anything, it seems like
D) Tesla, for beta testing in public
E) The state of California for not shutting this poo poo down at points B or D

I want to say E because like how the gently caress do you allow Getaround to even exist as a car rental thing if it's possible to, through them, book a car to drive when you don't even have a license. :wtc: But also B like, how are you gonna put your car in the hands of something like that?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

"you weren't clicking enough ads, you soon will (so we hope)"

LOL you can still just block corporate accounts/sponsored stuff.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

They want TWITTER to be ineffective and annoying. Not the ads. Twitter is a wrapper for ads.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

tech nightmares: doordash loving sucks

https://twitter.com/_alastair/status/1152944793569419264

luv 2 provide a small but generous tip to a $12 billion multinational's coffers

I can't imagine that's legal, what the heck

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mandatory lesbian posted:

:sparkles: Independent contractors! :sparkles:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Naw, that's how tips work in many states. It's a lovely system.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mandatory lesbian posted:

The company is just being progressive by paying you the agreed upon price. Tipping is evil anyways.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

duz posted:

Naw, that's how tips work in many states. It's a lovely system.

Yup. Many states have a separate tipped minimum wage that is as low as $2.13 an hour. Employers can make up the difference between that and the federal minimum wage out of the employee's tips, only paying out more than the tipped minimum if the employee doesn't make enough in tips to put them above the federal minimum.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I always tip 0.00 to Doordashers not because I am a dick, but because then in reality doordash is paying them a wage instead of me paying doordash a second delivery fee.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Or you could just tip in cash.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. Many states have a separate tipped minimum wage that is as low as $2.13 an hour. Employers can make up the difference between that and the federal minimum wage out of the employee's tips, only paying out more than the tipped minimum if the employee doesn't make enough in tips to put them above the federal minimum.

As someone who worked for tips before, it's a super dick move to not tip because of how the system is set up but the entire system is loving disgusting and i really wish that you didn't need to tip to ensure the servers/delivery people got a livable wage.

Axel Ferguson
Apr 19, 2008

Don Gato posted:

As someone who worked for tips before, it's a super dick move to not tip because of how the system is set up but the entire system is loving disgusting and i really wish that you didn't need to tip to ensure the servers/delivery people got a livable wage.

This is so close to those facetious arguments for child labor. It sucks.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Dunno, the solution seems really loving simple (stop the insane tipping culture in USA), but I have exactly 0 faith in you fuckers ever figuring that out.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

You stop that through legislation, not by being a lovely tipper.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
people who don't tip are often using fake political conviction to be a cheapass, whether you're a christian evangelical who says "the only tip you need is Salvation through Jesus Christ" or some faux friend of the prole who says "i don't believe in supporting the system which suppresses your wages"

if you don't feel like tipping food delivery workers, don't get food delivered

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Don Gato posted:

i remember in middle school finding out how the wage/tip thing worked and being floored. i had assumed tips were an expected bonus because servers had to deal with people.

does grubhub work like doordash? at least at the local places i've ordered from the delivery guy worked at the restaurant but i'm guessing that isn't always the case.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I generally tip somewhat generously because that's the system we have, but it would be better if people just had good wages instead and tipping culture went away. Tipping means nice people pay more and jerks get a discount, which doesn't seem great.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
tipping completely sucks but you have to deal with it as part of wage reform, your behavior as a consumer boils down to "do i feel like being a stingy rear end to-day"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Groovelord Neato posted:

i remember in middle school finding out how the wage/tip thing worked and being floored. i had assumed tips were an expected bonus because servers had to deal with people.

does grubhub work like doordash? at least at the local places i've ordered from the delivery guy worked at the restaurant but i'm guessing that isn't always the case.

I don't know but I always tip in cash instead, and I put "will tip in cash" in the delivery instructions/special notes/whatever thing for anything I ever order so they know I'm not just not tipping at all.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Quite a few states don't have a lower "tipped wage". Tipped wages are all about subsidizing the establishment owners, not tipping the employees.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't know but I always tip in cash instead, and I put "will tip in cash" in the delivery instructions/special notes/whatever thing for anything I ever order so they know I'm not just not tipping at all.

I never tell that I'm tipping in cash because the restaurant might be run by a shithead who takes a cut of tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Lambert posted:

Quite a few states don't have a lower "tipped wage". Tipped wages are all about subsidizing the establishment owners, not tipping the employees.

This. I tip a bit, but in my country waiters get roughly median wage before tips and it seems to work pretty well.