Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Tanaka wanted to marry the physical manifestation of pure evil.

At least I assume so considering his game design tendencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

there's like a handful in ff for him to pick

zeromus? cloud of darkness?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
There are no bad Final Fantasies, only bad people.

Alternatively, every Final Fantasy exists in the quantum of state of being both good and bad.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
good final fantasies... bad final fantasies... a true gamer only plays final fantasies that he likes

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That must be why I've beat FF5 six times in the past six weeks.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Rings true. I'm still slowly grinding through Ugly FF6 at a snail's pace while FF15 and FF12 (and some others) are also installed but untouched.

Really should just knuckle up and go slap Kefka like little god-Bitch he is so the bonus dungeon and Crusader are unlocked. More than enough characters are ready.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The White Dragon posted:

good final fantasies... bad final fantasies... a true gamer only plays final fantasies that he likes

Well ideally a true fan of games only plays games that they enjoy but the Steam backlog thread is full of people joylessly slogging through hundreds of games that should be thrown in the trash because they need to get some grim satisfaction of getting their money's worth.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's almost like you shouldn't buy games unless you plan on playing them in the immediate future.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mega64 posted:

It's almost like you shouldn't buy games unless you plan on playing them in the immediate future.

Wtf is this

Not... Buy things?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mega64 posted:

b-but the deals... the conversation...!!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I buy them for later. Or used to anyway. I do it much, much, much less now.

But if the game is bad just move on. That said, eventually there's gonna be some form of family intervention program and/or flowchart for addressing these people and their bloated game libraries.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Hmm, my backlog is massive and my paycheck was a little low this week, I'd better- Wait, Steam port of PS2 Finding Nemo is HOW many % off?!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think my biggest beef with with FF3DS is that they "flattened" the jobs. In the NES version theres a clear path of job progression, fighter/warrior becomes knight, monk becomes black belt, black mage becomes magus, etc etc. And all eventually lead to the ultimate jobs of ninja and sage.

Those progressions are still there but they try to make the first jobs relevant later on in the game, so warrior will have a higher STR stat whereas Knight is supposed to be VIT based. And they completely gimped ninja and sage, so ninja is just a dark knight that throws with lovely stats and sage can use all magic with bad stats and they get the worse summons. Also, HP gain is determined by what job you have when you level up which is bad design. But I suppose this is to be expected from a man who broke his MMO by putting so many polygons into a potted plant that graphics cards couldn't manage it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

A question I have is has anybody created a hackpatch to make ff3ds a good game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Squiddycat posted:

FF3 NES already exists

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

FF3 NES already exists

Still not good.

But ff5 exists.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

I just got to the part in 3DS where I unlocked my second set of jobs and was told to unlock the rest of the overworld for the first time. I'm having fun using this walkthrough to utterly dominate what I think would be an utterly frustrating game for me otherwise. Other than that the story is harmless but extremely generic so far, and the setting is unique for the time period the NES version came out but superceded by later JRPGs.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My only issue with FF3 is the save point bullshit. I hate when a game is designed where you're supposed to just trivialize any difficulty with some Ultimate Thing, and NES ninja/sage did that. I like using dork knight and warrior in the same party.

What I don't like is that clearly the director thinks people want to lose hours of progress and that that is challenge. That's really not a thing in any game that people are into. Even Dark Souls has, at most, 10 minutes of progress lost but even that is just you losing money, not items and junk.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Famicom version's fun in that old-school pull-your-teeth way. It's cool seeing the Final Fantasy template come into full force, with gameplay designed around dungeon-diving to a full-fledged boss, as well as introducing many of the iconic elements of the series, like moogles, various jobs, and most of the summons.

It has some terrible gameplay decisions, and a good remake would've eliminated those and made the game a decent experience. What we got instead, however...

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I do recall a lot of dismay at FF3's ultra-long final (?) dungeon, but is the game really that much of a wash?

Only asking because I just launched it from Steam for the first time ever. Honestly kept forgetting I picked up in... [checks Steam log] November of 2014 from some other key seller.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

I do recall a lot of dismay at FF3's ultra-long final (?) dungeon, but is the game really that much of a wash?

Only asking because I just launched it from Steam for the first time ever. Honestly kept forgetting I picked up in... [checks Steam log] November of 2014 from some other key seller.

I'd honestly give it a bit of a shot. I know plenty of people don't like the DS (mobile/Steam/etc) version, but I've known others, including myself, who do. If you don't like it, don't force yourself to complete it, but also don't take other people not liking it to mean you also won't.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Also remember that the mobile/Steam version is far less frustrating than the DS one because it autosaves constantly so you don't lose progress to all the dumb bullshit.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Squiddycat posted:

There's cheats readily available for DS (flash carts) and PSP (cwcheat). I assume such are available for the PC version but I don't know much about that. Of course, cheats can only do so much to alter the game, but things like Save Anywhere do alleviate the worst of its problems.

jokes posted:

My only issue with FF3 is the save point bullshit. ... What I don't like is that clearly the director thinks people want to lose hours of progress and that that is challenge.
FF1/2 didn't let you save in dungeons either--at least, prior to the handheld remakes. In general, "losing progress on death" was part of the RPG experience back then so it's not to say that such a decision was made without precedent. I still think it was wrong though.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I'd honestly give it a bit of a shot. I know plenty of people don't like the DS (mobile/Steam/etc) version, but I've known others, including myself, who do. If you don't like it, don't force yourself to complete it, but also don't take other people not liking it to mean you also won't.
I'm liking it "well enough" so far with Save Anywhere enabled, which is really no worse than the abuse of save states I'd be using if I were playing the Famicom all the way through.

I also liked FF2 "well enough" and that's despite spending a third of my play-time grinding out spells.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Another huge problem with FF3, IMO, is the extremely poor job pacing. You get the first set of jobs right at the start, then it's the ENTIRE FIRST HALF OF THE GAME before you get the second set, and then the third set immediately right after, with like, two tiny dungeons inbetween. Then it's literally the entire rest of the game for the fourth cause the last jobs are in the final dungeon :geno:

Amazingly, even though the crystal/job placement is something baked into the story and not an easily changed system, FF3 DS managed to gently caress that up as well! Now you have to struggle though the now hilariously over-difficult Djinn Cave right at the start with no jobs.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I also liked FF2 "well enough" and that's despite spending a third of my play-time grinding out spells.

I'm alright with FFII as well, after the initial slog. Once you get more tools at your disposal, the leveling system is...a tad janky, but game is a'ight.

I think aside from the outliers in game play though, the answer to anyone who enjoys some of the series asking "Will I like (insert entry here)?" just always should be "Try it. If you don't like it, drop it. If you do, great." Not everyone is going to like every entry. Not everyone is going to dislike the generally disliked ones, and not everyone is going to like those held up as the best in the series.

Like, myself. If I took the general fandom opinion as the gospel truth, I'd still be regularly throwing myself at VI, when I honestly just do not like it at all.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I give the NES version a pass because they were still feeling things out, but FF3DS feels like it's missing a major mechanic in the player's favor to make it a complete game. Some multiclassing concepts lifted from 5 or 11 would have gone a long way towards scaling up the party's stats and versatility to match how much the difficulty was scaled up from the original. The job-switch weakness, zero defense on run, and the potential to be one-shotted by encounters at full health before getting to even act all should've been fixed too.

I had some similar problems with FF4DS's difficulty curve, but the developers there at least threw in the augment system to scale up player strength in comparison to the scaled up difficulty

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Like, myself. If I took the general fandom opinion as the gospel truth, I'd still be regularly throwing myself at VI, when I honestly just do not like it at all.

Hey it's the one other guy who doesn't like FF6, what's up bud

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

pretty soft girl posted:

Hey it's the one other guy who doesn't like FF6, what's up bud

:hfive:

It honestly kind of sucks, though. I can see pieces of a game I'd enjoy buried inside it, but taken as a whole, it just...does nothing for me.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

:hfive:

It honestly kind of sucks, though. I can see pieces of a game I'd enjoy buried inside it, but taken as a whole, it just...does nothing for me.

Holy poo poo I've got pals.

6 has a bunch of cool pieces of a game. Playing it was bad, and I forced myself through the whole-rear end thing waiting for the moment it'll click. Now I'm not a kid with endless time to waste, I don't know if I'd make it up to meeting goddamn Edgar, honestly - and I'm a lovely dude who just started replaying FF9.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

That's always been my issue with it too. It's so iconic, has great ideas, and I think the cast of characters is great- the game just takes too much time to get up to speed for me. When I want to play a later era SNES Square RPG I'd much rather jump onto Chrono Trigger.

However my favorites are the NES trilogy, 11, and if it counts, the SFC version of Romancing SaGa 1 so I would admit I'm 100% guilty of wrong-think and broke-brain

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

You want some FF wrong-think, my favorite is IV, which is pretty typically well liked. But the constant rotating slapfight for my second favorite depends of which of the three I've most recently played. VIII, X, and....XV. Man, parts of the fandom blow the gently caress up if you admit to not only liking XV, but that it's one of your favorites.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
While I'm not wholly on board with 6 being bad, I am in the camp that puts it much lower than typical fans, so I feel you guys.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

You want some FF wrong-think, my favorite is IV, which is pretty typically well liked. But the constant rotating slapfight for my second favorite depends of which of the three I've most recently played. VIII, X, and....XV. Man, parts of the fandom blow the gently caress up if you admit to not only liking XV, but that it's one of your favorites.

4 used to be my favorite, and it's still high up for me, but I will admit part of it is nostalgia for being one of my first FFs and it's hard for me to argue that most later FFs do most of what FF4 did but better. Though I still love the story tie-ins with the gameplay.

And if you think admitting 15 is your favorite is hard, imagine what it's like for us FF13 fans :v:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I like XIII, too, actually! I think the battle system is pretty baller.

I still need to get around to playing the sequels.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

8's my favorite, followed by 10-2, then 15. After that it's basically the typical PS1 fan order, but listing any of those three above 7 or 10? I feel your pain.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

See, I can see why a few people like XV. I didn't hate it, personally. There's a kind of idea in the fanbase that people who like XV are all people who can't stand turn-based combat, and therefore aren't actual FF fans because they thus would not like any of the other ones. And while this isn't unheard of(I know a few people who fall into that exact category), there's also a fair few people who like it and are longstanding fans of the series.

8 sucks though

Ventana posted:

And if you think admitting 15 is your favorite is hard, imagine what it's like for us FF13 fans :v:

if you say 13 is your favourite or one of your favourites people assume you're joking and then, afterwards, when you're like "no, really, I actually really liked it" they seem to genuinely be unable to comprehend it. It's not like saying you like 8 or 15 or whatever where people start arguing with you or get irrationally angry, people just don't seem to be able to process it. At this point I feel like there's so many people who have not actually played 13 but have just heard the not 100%(but not 0%, like 60%) accurate complaints about it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

if you say 13 is your favourite or one of your favourites people assume you're joking and then, afterwards, when you're like "no, really, I actually really liked it" they seem to genuinely be unable to comprehend it. It's not like saying you like 8 or 15 or whatever where people start arguing with you or get irrationally angry, people just don't seem to be able to process it. At this point I feel like there's so many people who have not actually played 13 but have just heard the not 100%(but not 0%, like 60%) accurate complaints about it.
All I know about 13 is that shifting paradigms is a legit thing instead of just making fun of corporate buzzspeak and that at one point, a lady says "Moms are tough."

I think I love 13, and I almost don't wanna play it to have my assumptions ruined.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
All Final Fantasies are bad games and I love them all.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

You ever want to make the FF subreddit mad? Tell them you don't like IX. Fun times, that.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Whalley posted:

All I know about 13 is that shifting paradigms is a legit thing instead of just making fun of corporate buzzspeak and that at one point, a lady says "Moms are tough."

I think I love 13, and I almost don't wanna play it to have my assumptions ruined.

one of your party members is basically the black guy from lethal weapon. he has an afro and a small chicken lives in it, and his equivalent of a limit break is doing donuts on the enemies in a car made of fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

one of your party members is basically the black guy from lethal weapon. he has an afro and a small chicken lives in it, and his equivalent of a limit break is doing donuts on the enemies in a car made of fire.
:stare:

gently caress, I gotta play this game, even though the whole internet seems to hate it