Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

I got my new MBP today. I use notepad++ a ton at work and at home. Any recommended OSX equivalents?

I would try VS Code, Atom, or SublimeText in that order. They may be too feature-rich to be a true Notepad++ alternative, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I do very basic bash scripting so maybe it'll work out. I'll take a look. Thanks!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I use both Atom and TextWrangler, depending on whether I'm coding or manipulating text.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Hi,

I didn't see anyone with a similar question in a cursory reading of the megathread, so I was hoping someone might know a good answer to this.

I've got a family member who's moving from Mac to Windows and wants to import their email that's in mbox format into a pst (for Outlook). Does anyone have any recommendations for doing this?

Ta very much

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SUNKOS posted:

Thanks for the help. It appears to have partially worked? I was able to reset the password for the user but when the Mac was reset it brought up the screen with the blurred wallpaper but there was no user to select, just two fields to enter information with the first being 'name' and the second being 'password'. I entered my father's name and the password I'd reset things to but the box shook and rejected it, and there appeared to be no way of progressing or trying to select a user or anything so I had to just power off. Any ideas what this might be? Grateful for the help since it seems like it's very close to being fixed, I'm just baffled as to why it's asking for a name and password and the user isn't there at all like it was before.

I believe that’s a setting. You should be able to have it show the standard “click one of these accounts and login” or the one you’re seeing now where you need to know the username beforehand.

If your fathers name is John Middle Smith try typing in jsmith or jmsmith as the username.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I try and exclusively use Safari because it saves so much battery on my MacBook Pro, but it's hard to avoid the Chrome ecosystem, especially as somebody with work/university-specific extensions. I got sick of what a resource hog Chrome is, so I tried out a new Chromium project that emphasizes privacy and speed called Brave browser (https://brave.com).

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it - it seems noticeably snappier than Chrome, it's supposed to use 30-50% less CPU/RAM than Chrome, and I can still install any Chrome extensions. Their privacy mode even offers TOR functionality.

It feels pretty good to have Chrome uninstalled for the first time in 10 years.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gay Retard posted:

I try and exclusively use Safari because it saves so much battery on my MacBook Pro, but it's hard to avoid the Chrome ecosystem, especially as somebody with work/university-specific extensions. I got sick of what a resource hog Chrome is, so I tried out a new Chromium project that emphasizes privacy and speed called Brave browser (https://brave.com).

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it - it seems noticeably snappier than Chrome, it's supposed to use 30-50% less CPU/RAM than Chrome, and I can still install any Chrome extensions. Their privacy mode even offers TOR functionality.

It feels pretty good to have Chrome uninstalled for the first time in 10 years.

Doesn't Brave inject their own ads while blocking everyone else? I seem to recall there being some controversy with it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Doesn't Brave inject their own ads while blocking everyone else? I seem to recall there being some controversy with it.

If you opt into the Brave Rewards program, they show ads int he browser which in-turn generate a cryptocurrency called BAT tokens. These tokens get shared with the sites you visit and can be cashed out. As far as I know the ads aren't "injected" into the actual sites, they are just interstitial that show up during browsing.
https://brave.com/brave-rewards/

Sites have to opt-in to receive BAT. There was some issue previously where they were generating tokens for sites not part of the program but the language they used was misleading people into thinking that the sites were getting paid when they weren't.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
e. beaten

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

So this might not be a question that anyone here can answer. I bought pixlemator a while ago and yesterday bought the upgrade bundle to pixlemator pro from the App Store. Everything worked fine on my MBP, I was able to install the app and use it fine... but when I went home to install it on my iMac it is asking me to pay 39.99 to install it. When I click on pixlemator pro it says it is listed in a bundle and that I have purchased the bundle. But it will not let me download it without paying.

I have contact Pixlemator and they said it should let me install it and that it must be an App Store issue. I have emailed apple but have not received a reply yet. Was just wondering if there was some easy fix that I am not aware of before I got back and forth with apple on this.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Matt Zerella posted:

I got my new MBP today. I use notepad++ a ton at work and at home. Any recommended OSX equivalents?

We also use SecureCRT (I'm a Linux admin/engineer) and I really love the session management but I can't install it on my home machine. Any decent terminal recommendations with good session management?

BBEdit free edition should do the job.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
How do Firefox and Chrome compare with respect to battery life these days?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

FCKGW posted:

If you opt into the Brave Rewards program, they show ads int he browser which in-turn generate a cryptocurrency called BAT tokens. These tokens get shared with the sites you visit and can be cashed out. As far as I know the ads aren't "injected" into the actual sites, they are just interstitial that show up during browsing.
https://brave.com/brave-rewards/

Sites have to opt-in to receive BAT. There was some issue previously where they were generating tokens for sites not part of the program but the language they used was misleading people into thinking that the sites were getting paid when they weren't.

So it’s like forums superstar Eripsa’s “attention economy” bullshit, but from Brendan Eich.

Eich is the one-time creator of JavaScript who, a few years back, gained national notoriety by donating big dollars to a flagrantly bigoted political campaign and ended up getting booted from Mozilla because too many employees didn’t want to work for him anymore.

So yeah, think twice about all that before going with Brave

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Splinter posted:

How do Firefox and Chrome compare with respect to battery life these days?

Everything else Firefox offers makes that question rather meaningless, tbh. If there's a difference, it's so small as to not matter on the scale of things.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Tippis posted:

Everything else Firefox offers makes that question rather meaningless, tbh. If there's a difference, it's so small as to not matter on the scale of things.

What are you referencing? I know FF has more privacy and an actual password manager built in, but lets say I'm using LastPass, PrivacyBadger, HTTPS Everywhere and uBlock Origin regardless. I am actually experimenting with moving from Chrome to either FF or Brave (already using Brave on my phone). I've been leaning toward FF on desktop, but if Chrome (and therefore Brave as well, I presume) was a significantly better performer battery wise, that would be something I'd take into account.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's more customisable and controllable, it has better syncing/hand-off options, and its add-ons are in my experience far easier to manage. In addition, even without various privacy add-ons, it has built-in session sandboxing that is very handy for when you actually do want to give away who you are, but not to every other site you're visiting — being able to be both logged in and not logged to a site at the same time has its advantages.

The reason I ended up with FF was that, not only did it have all the necessary basics, but I could also fairly trivially duplicate the behaviours I were used to from Safari and Chrome, but combined in the way I preferred, and also get a bunch of bonus functionality that I didn't even appreciate until I started playing with it.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

It's also not about to neuter ad blockers.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

skull mask mcgee posted:

It's also not about to neuter ad blockers.

It’s this. Don’t run a browser literally made by the Ad industry ever.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I tried switching to Firefox but it was awful to use with an external 4k monitor. From what I read at the time, it's not optimized to send only what's updated so it hits the GPU 100% of the time all the time. YMMV, of course.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I don't know what the thread consensus is on Alfred, but after coming back to daily driving a Mac after nearly a decade away, it was one of my first installs. I had never bought the powerpack because I thought it unnecessary but this workflow absolutely made it 1000% necessary and will save me so much goddamn time posting on these dead gay forums.

http://www.packal.org/workflow/latest-clipboard-image-imgur-uploader

It automatically uploads the clipboard image to imgur. Beautiful. Fairly quick, too, seems snappier than using their webapp, probably using an API call of some sort.

I'll just have to get used to *CTRL* CMD SHIFT 4. :shobon:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: Alert to Sierra and High Sierra users :siren:

Apple just pulled the recent software updates (Security Update 2014-009 for Sierra and High Sierra.)

https://eclecticlight.co/2019/07/25/updating-mojave-to-10-14-6-is-probably-safe-but-wait-for-sierra-and-high-sierra-security-updates/

Why? Something in the updates seems to ruin sleep mode when machines are made to sleep by closing the lid; issuing the sleep command manually seems to be okay in some cases. When affected machines try to wake up, they go into kernel panics. Basically, problems surrounding a basic feature, SLEEP, that never existed before.

New versions of the updates are expected soon. Hopefully.

I am firmly convinced Apple is approaching peak incompetence when it comes to maintaining software. What, they can't debug Mojave while working on Catalina? All the 'good' programmers are busy creating new errors in the next version and they have no time to plug the leaks in the old versions?

Looks like we're gonna get Security Update 2019-005 and/or 10.14.7 at this rate.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 25, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's been clear for a while that the macOS team is a bit resource-starved, unfortunately

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's not like Mac users are going to switch to a competing operating system.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: Alert to Sierra and High Sierra users :siren:

Apple just pulled the recent software updates (Security Update 2014-009 for Sierra and High Sierra.)

https://eclecticlight.co/2019/07/25/updating-mojave-to-10-14-6-is-probably-safe-but-wait-for-sierra-and-high-sierra-security-updates/

Why? Something in the updates seems to ruin sleep mode when machines are made to sleep by closing the lid; issuing the sleep command manually seems to be okay in some cases. When affected machines try to wake up, they go into kernel panics. Basically, problems surrounding a basic feature, SLEEP, that never existed before.

New versions of the updates are expected soon. Hopefully.

I am firmly convinced Apple is approaching peak incompetence when it comes to maintaining software. What, they can't debug Mojave while working on Catalina? All the 'good' programmers are busy creating new errors in the next version and they have no time to plug the leaks in the old versions?

Looks like we're gonna get Security Update 2019-005 and/or 10.14.7 at this rate.

Meanwhile Dells top of the line XPS laptop has had S3 sleep disabled for years because they can’t keep it from BSODing on wake

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Crunchy Black posted:

I don't know what the thread consensus is on Alfred, but after coming back to daily driving a Mac after nearly a decade away, it was one of my first installs. I had never bought the powerpack because I thought it unnecessary but this workflow absolutely made it 1000% necessary and will save me so much goddamn time posting on these dead gay forums.

It automatically uploads the clipboard image to imgur. Beautiful. Fairly quick, too, seems snappier than using their webapp, probably using an API call of some sort.

Try cmd-shift-5 sometime. Also, check out Dropzone, it will be a revelation.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I use a combination of BetterTouchTool (three finger click to invoke screenshot command) and Dropzone to upload screenshots to Imgur in seconds.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

American McGay posted:

I use a combination of BetterTouchTool (three finger click to invoke screenshot command) and Dropzone to upload screenshots to Imgur in seconds.

Yeah, imgur + dropzone is great. Dropzone is my favorite underrated Mac tool.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

kefkafloyd posted:

Try cmd-shift-5 sometime. Also, check out Dropzone, it will be a revelation.

Dropzone and Alfred are both necessary QOL software.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I still use Quicksilver.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

XBenedict posted:

Dropzone and Alfred are both necessary QOL software.

These are my essentials:

Alfred
AutoMounter
Bartender
BetterTouchTool
Dropzone
GoldenChaos-BTT
Karabiner

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

Try cmd-shift-5 sometime.

Thanks, this much nicer than going into Quicktime and starting a screen recording (why the hell has Apple implemented this feature twice in two separate places in macOS?!)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Crunchy Black posted:

There's gotta be a way to do this with Automator. I mean, I couldn't figure it out in five minutes. But that doesn't keep me from being baselessly confident that it can be done.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Thanks, this much nicer than going into Quicktime and starting a screen recording (why the hell has Apple implemented this feature twice in two separate places in macOS?!)

Cmd-shift-5 is a new addition to 10.14, they added it so you wouldn't have to open quicktime. So few people knew about QT's screen recorder that I think cmd-shift-5 had more usage by default.

It also replaces the grab app for screenshot configuration too.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lazyhound posted:

I still use Quicksilver.

This is the Right Choice™.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
All the love for BetterTouchTool is cool, I'm going to try it out.
I think this thread got me to try BetterSnapTool and being a heavy user of Aero Snap on Windows, it has been great.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So I have the weirdest problem right now and no idea what's going on..

With my USB audio interface (Behringer UMC202HD) as the selected audio device in Mac OS the media player that Stardom World (https://www.stardom-world.com) for its paid streaming service is completely broken, it just fast forwards randomly all the time in Safari, Locks up the browser completely in Chrome or audio cuts out in Firefox. This does not happen with any other audio output device selected.

Does anyone here have a clue as to what's causing this and how to fix it ?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Tippis posted:

This is the Right Choice™.

Shawn show yourself

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So is there a reason why every time a Chrome update comes out I get the same error 12 when I update? I end up having to uninstall Chrome and then reinstall it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Newest Catalina beta apparently crashes any and all versions of Firefox, avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Skeezy posted:

So is there a reason why every time a Chrome update comes out I get the same error 12 when I update? I end up having to uninstall Chrome and then reinstall it.
Same here. I just chalk it up to Google being Google.