Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Undervolting is honestly less about strict performance these days than it is about making it run cooler and quieter. On laptops with questionable cooling systems, like the XPS (or most other <4.5lbs laptops), you get some bonus performance because it takes longer to hit the thermal limits, but with mine I was far more interested in being able to eek out almost an extra hour of run time and keep the fans low/off more often than I was about an extra 5 FPS or whatever.

That said, while I was really looking forward to either a new XPS 15 or X1E gen 2, I simply couldn't justify their costs when the Razer Blade 15 popped up for an effective cost of $985 on Amazon. I just got it yesterday and I already miss my old ThinkPad keyboard--why can no one else make laptop keyboards that don't suck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Undervolting with laptop GPUs is often good because you'll come up against power limits before thermal limits on many laptop dGPUs of Pascal generation (and I'm assuming probably RTX gen as well).

Like, my laptop 1060 won't go past 77 or so degrees (while my CPU bounces between 3.3 and 3.4ghz coz it keeps hitting 92c), but the undervolt is the difference between boosting to mid 1600s and low 1800s.

Like it's not a massive gain in performance or anything, but its definitely measurable. It basically closed the gap to the desktop 1060 (got me a 12.3k graphics in FS which is like stock desktop 1060, and of course the desktop 1060 OCed like a champ).

But yes you're right it probably worked out to like less than 5fps difference in any game I play lol.

E: Hell probably less than 2 fps.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 24, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would think undervolting would see more gains on the i9 XPS 15 since that's the only model with active VRM cooling. Less heat in the CPU plus a cooling solution that dumps the VRM heat to the heatpipe.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Re: undervolting gpus, I found that having afterburner running prevents my cpu from ever hitting idle clocks. Anyone else run in to that?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Let my XPS15 7590 with 97WH battery sit for about 10 hours on sleep, came back on with 95% battery.

e with S3 sleep enabled

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 24, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/First-Findings-Dell-XPS-15-7590-OLED-i7-9750H-16GB-GTX-1650-in-review.427940.0.html

They haven't done a full review yet, but they have a few things here.

The most damning thing is apparently the GPU will drop to just 300mhz when stressed under the stock configuration. You have to undervolt to keep the clocks up.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

sugar free jazz posted:

Let my XPS15 7590 with 97WH battery sit for about 10 hours on sleep, came back on with 95% battery.

e with S3 sleep enabled

thanks pal!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

Re: undervolting gpus, I found that having afterburner running prevents my cpu from ever hitting idle clocks. Anyone else run in to that?

I did:

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

One issue I had with battery life which I ended up troubleshooting with some other Aero owners wasif I kept MSI Afterburner, or any kind of monitoring program open in the background.

It would cause my CPU to peg to about 7%~10% usage and actually was about a 24k discharge rate. I used process explorer to find the offending process: (
ntoskrnl.exe!PoFxReportDevicePoweredOn+0x7d0) and it seems to be related to some kind of power states thing, but I had no idea how to fix it so I just stopped using monitoring when I was just doing web browsing stuff. I only turn on MSI AB for gaming.

Weirdly, once the dGPU is in use, the process stops hogging CPU. I bring this up because other Aero 15 owners experienced the same thing, so I don't think it was uniquely specific to my setup.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

is there a good battery tool /software i can use to look @ battery stats and info, drainage, usage etc?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I know everyone here is lamenting the absence of a 14" laptop with at least some gaming performance, to bridge the gap between the 13" ultrabooks and 15" lapmonsters, and I'm wondering how would something like this 14" 1080p ASUS with Ryzen 5 stack up?

The $600 (sale)/750 (normal) price makes me think there's got to be some huge catch, like ASUS build quality has gotten really bad or the Ryzen is a power hog, though the user reviews have said that it gets 6 hours of battery life, so it can't be that bad can it?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 25, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sugar free jazz posted:

e with S3 sleep enabled

Aww yisss

Time to disable bios updated forever~

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The United States posted:

I know everyone here is lamenting the absence of a 14" laptop with at least some gaming performance, to bridge the gap between the 13" ultrabooks and 15" lapmonsters, and I'm wondering how would something like this 14" 1080p ASUS with Ryzen 5 stack up?

The $600 (sale)/750 (normal) price makes me think there's got to be some huge catch, like ASUS build quality has gotten really bad or the Ryzen is a power hog, though the user reviews have said that it gets 6 hours of battery life, so it can't be that bad can it?

I bought this exact laptop for my wife when it was on sale for $629 two weeks ago.

The build quality is actually really good. It’s still plastics but there’s nothing that feels hallow and nothing creaks or flexes. The screen is pretty nice and the touchpad is responsive. The keyboard is surprisingly solid too. Because of the narrow bezels it’s a 14” screen but the footprint is closer to a 13”. The Sims works well on it which is my wife’s only game she plays, so she’s happy.

The unit seems to either be a Best Buy exclusive or just real new so finding outside reviews is tough. I don’t think the $750 is a true normal price because they seem to put it on sale every couple weeks. Most of the long reviews on Best Buy are from people who received products to test and write a review so not actual “customers” per se, however I found their reviews and gripes to be accurate.

The only negative is that the RAM is soldered on and not upgradable, and the video card takes 2gb leaving you with 6gb system RAM. The SSD is upgradable however.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 25, 2019

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FCKGW posted:

I bought this exact laptop for my wife when it was on sale for $629 two weeks ago.

The build quality is actually really good. It’s still plastics but there’s nothing that feels hallow and nothing creaks or flexes. The screen is pretty nice and the touchpad is responsive. The keyboard is surprisingly solid too. Because of the narrow bezels it’s a 14” screen but the footprint is closer to a 13”. The Sims works well on it which is my wife’s only game she plays, so she’s happy.

The unit seems to either be a Best Buy exclusive or just real new so finding outside reviews is tough. I don’t think the $750 is a true normal price because they seem to put it on sale every couple weeks. Most of the long reviews on Best Buy are from people who received products to test and write a review so not actual “customers” per se, however I found their reviews and gripes to be accurate.

The only negative is that the RAM is soldered on and not upgradable, and the video card takes 2gb leaving you with 6gb system RAM. The SSD is upgradable however.
Thank you very much, it sounds ok then!

So the only possible catch left would be, what, dim/poor screen?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my 4 year old chomebook has been freezing regularly lately, and despite reinstalling and it saying memory/disk are ok, it's still doing it, so i'm gonna need a new one soonish

it's amazing how matebook is still the only non-microsoft 3:2 one. also the only decent ones seem to be intel only, i want more cores and good gpu drivers dammit :suicide:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Cross posting from my thread about my dead alive Lenovo x250 laptop here.

The 6 cell external battery now shows up in Windows but doesn’t charge. I’ve tried a bunch of things (reinstalling drivers, hard resets etc.) but is it maybe just dead? It sat for 6 months without being used and was original to the machine where as the internal battery I added when I bought the laptop. I think leaving batteries dead for months is not good for them?

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 25, 2019

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Red_Fred posted:

The 6 cell external battery now shows up in Windows but doesn’t charge. I’ve tried a bunch of things (reinstalling drivers, hard resets etc.) but is it maybe just dead? It sat for 6 months without being used and was original to the machine where as the internal battery I added when I bought the laptop. I think leaving batteries dead for months is not good for them?

If the cells fall below whatever minimum voltage that the battery management system wants them to have (and each cell is a separate battery although they work together), then either it will refuse to charge the pack, or it will do a super gentle "get it up to base voltage" charge. If you've left it hooked up for 24+ hours and it hasn't come back to life then it's probably not going to ever charge and the BMS thinks the cells are too degraded. While a lot of folks crack open laptop battery packs to find the good 18650 cells in them, they don't usually expect to be able to use them in the laptops again. So your options would be to open it up and somehow find the bad cell(s) and either charge them out of the pack and replace them (which is difficult due to the enclosure usually being glued together plastic and the cells are spot welded together with some nickel strips), or just get a new pack. If you haven't tried letting it charge for what seems like an excessive amount of time I'd try that first, though, since it could come back.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Rexxed posted:

If the cells fall below whatever minimum voltage that the battery management system wants them to have (and each cell is a separate battery although they work together), then either it will refuse to charge the pack, or it will do a super gentle "get it up to base voltage" charge. If you've left it hooked up for 24+ hours and it hasn't come back to life then it's probably not going to ever charge and the BMS thinks the cells are too degraded. While a lot of folks crack open laptop battery packs to find the good 18650 cells in them, they don't usually expect to be able to use them in the laptops again. So your options would be to open it up and somehow find the bad cell(s) and either charge them out of the pack and replace them (which is difficult due to the enclosure usually being glued together plastic and the cells are spot welded together with some nickel strips), or just get a new pack. If you haven't tried letting it charge for what seems like an excessive amount of time I'd try that first, though, since it could come back.

Thanks for the quick response. I think I left it for a while but maybe not more than 24 hours so I’ll try that first.

Otherwise the smaller 3 cell external battery has a better physical profile (flat against the base) and is only like $100 so I’ll probably just grab a new one.

In general what’s the longest a laptop should be left without charge? I only really use this when I travel which is like 6 monthly or so.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The United States posted:

Thank you very much, it sounds ok then!

So the only possible catch left would be, what, dim/poor screen?

Screen seemed good to me. It’s an IPS panel and coming from my wife’s 4 year old Acer I thought it looked really nice. Not as nice as my matte XPS but pretty good. It has pen support too.

They’re on display at Best Buy if you have one local and want to check it out.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Red_Fred posted:

Thanks for the quick response. I think I left it for a while but maybe not more than 24 hours so I’ll try that first.

Otherwise the smaller 3 cell external battery has a better physical profile (flat against the base) and is only like $100 so I’ll probably just grab a new one.

In general what’s the longest a laptop should be left without charge? I only really use this when I travel which is like 6 monthly or so.

It seems to depend on the model, since they all drain a little bit when they're turned off. I've had tablets that drain in a month if not used, and laptops that still have 80% after 6 months. Leaving a lithium ion battery charged can actually be bad for it, though, usually you want to store it at half charge which is why most new devices you buy come with only a partial charge from the manufacturer. I wouldn't feel bad about charging it up now and then, though, lithium based batteries should last for a lot of charge/discharge cycles and the battery management usually takes care of them, although that's with more regular use.

For yours since I don't know for sure what kind of schedule it likes, I'd consider plugging it in and turning it on every month for not only battery health but OS updates. I run my generator and snow blower for a couple of minutes on the first week of every month to keep the fuel system from getting crappy with ethanol gas, so for me it'd be one of those tasks I add to the monthly list.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

So the Killer module ax1650 that came with this XPS 15 supports wifi6, which frankly is not a thing that I keep up with.

Is this protocol something we'll be adopting any time soon or is this really a 24+month thing for me to care about? So far for anybody wondering, the wifi module seems to be pretty dang speedy. It would not connect back up to my wifi coming off suspend one time though.

Will be giving that a few more tries before I do anything. I know that module is on the intel chipset, is there a way to run an intel driver for it or something?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

So the Killer module ax1650 that came with this XPS 15 supports wifi6, which frankly is not a thing that I keep up with.

Is this protocol something we'll be adopting any time soon or is this really a 24+month thing for me to care about? So far for anybody wondering, the wifi module seems to be pretty dang speedy. It would not connect back up to my wifi coming off suspend one time though.

Will be giving that a few more tries before I do anything. I know that module is on the intel chipset, is there a way to run an intel driver for it or something?

I originally had the Dell drivers and was getting dropped wifi every couple hours, and there was also some weirdness with reconnecting to networks. Swapped to the Killer drivers from the Killer site and haven't had an issue since.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

WiFi 6 is the new branding that's being rolled out for what used to be listed as 802.11ax. It's got a few other requirements as opposed to just being naked 802.11ax, but the long and short is that, yes, you can expect to see a lot more of it around shortly, as it's faster and better at dealing with many clients than previous iterations were. You can already get WiFi 6 certified routers on the higher end of the spectrum ($150+)--it'll probably be a bit before they're sub-$100, but you don't need to spend $300 to get one, either.

FYI, you can also expect to see 802.11ac rebranded as WiFi 5 and 802.11n rebranded as WiFi 4, because apparently using the old system was confusing people or something.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

Your battery is almost certainly dead, especially if it's the original battery. Batteries are only rated for 2-3 years with moderate use, running a battery dead and leaving it fully discharged for six months on a 4 year old battery is like asking Grandpa surviving on a ventilator to go run a marathon.

New batteries are cheap

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My old laptop has something really weird going on: sometimes the screen will go black for a second in a way that seems to be tied to where my cursor is on the screen. Like I'll move the mouse slightly and the screen will come back instantly, but if I move the mouse back to where it was it will go black again. After a while, or if I sort of move the laptop, it will stop and won't happen again for a while, it's not always in the same spot. I thought maybe i was pushing some component in the laptop's interior because I'm using the mouse on the palm rest of the laptop itself, but it even happens if I hover with my mouse slightly over the palm rest so that can't be it.

It's not even that bad or annoying, it's just really really weird and I can't figure out what could cause this to happen. Any ideas?

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I'm looking for a basic laptop for some light gaming, I have a lot of downtime at work and want something to throw in my backpack on the weekends.

Is something like this a good deal? Looking for something that can play a game like ffxiv on medium settings 60fps 1080p. I know a whole lot more about desktop PC parts than laptops. I think I'm looking for an i5, gtx 1060 type deal? Do not need any crazy gimmicks.

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlin...AZqzU9e4A%3d%3d

e: I find this deal on reddit, it looks pretty good as well, no?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-ROG...-WB53/665853169

Slider fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 27, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Shibawanko posted:

My old laptop has something really weird going on: sometimes the screen will go black for a second in a way that seems to be tied to where my cursor is on the screen. Like I'll move the mouse slightly and the screen will come back instantly, but if I move the mouse back to where it was it will go black again. After a while, or if I sort of move the laptop, it will stop and won't happen again for a while, it's not always in the same spot. I thought maybe i was pushing some component in the laptop's interior because I'm using the mouse on the palm rest of the laptop itself, but it even happens if I hover with my mouse slightly over the palm rest so that can't be it.

It's not even that bad or annoying, it's just really really weird and I can't figure out what could cause this to happen. Any ideas?

My instinct says software failure of some kind, hardware failure tends to manifest in a more obvious fashion. Update your GPU drivers if you can and try shutting down unnecessary background apps?

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
Not sure if this is the right thread, but it seems like it. My laptop’s battery seems to be on the way out; it shuts down at 50% and the maximum charge it can hold is steadily decreasing. The problem I have is that the battery (HP 710417-100) has been discontinued by HP, so I can’t buy OEM. Does anyone have recommendations for which third-party laptop batteries are good? I’ve looked at reviews on Amazon but I’d trust what people would say here over those if anyone has thoughts.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Jigsaw posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but it seems like it. My laptop’s battery seems to be on the way out; it shuts down at 50% and the maximum charge it can hold is steadily decreasing. The problem I have is that the battery (HP 710417-100) has been discontinued by HP, so I can’t buy OEM. Does anyone have recommendations for which third-party laptop batteries are good? I’ve looked at reviews on Amazon but I’d trust what people would say here over those if anyone has thoughts.

That looks like an 18650 cell pack; they're pretty safe, even cheap ones from China (pretty sure even OEMs use Chinese cells). Ebay is usually cheaper than Amazon for battery packs if that matters to you; the cells are $3 or less so don't pay much more than $20 for a 6 cell

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 28, 2019

Thegrul
Oct 27, 2013
I'm looking for a nice laptop for university and I'm torn between the XPS 13 9380, or the new Thinkpad X1 7th generation.

Which one is the better choice? I've been doing some research and people mention QC issues on both, but should I be concerned?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Thegrul posted:

I'm looking for a nice laptop for university and I'm torn between the XPS 13 9380, or the new Thinkpad X1 7th generation.

Which one is the better choice? I've been doing some research and people mention QC issues on both, but should I be concerned?

There isn't an objective answer to that question. Check out the OP, there's a handy form that will help us answer your questions.

edit: lol no there isn't I was thinking of the PC building thread. Anyway, what do you actually do with your computer? What do you like or not like about laptops?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Both should have pretty similar specs except one is 13" and the other 14". Are you also going to have a desktop or external monitor? If yes, I'd get the Dell.

I have an X1 Carbon 5th gen and it's a fine machine but there are times I wish it was a little smaller. Also I don't think the X1 7th gen exists yet. I'd wait for reviews on that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I have an X1 Carbon 5th gen and it's a fine machine but there are times I wish it was a little smaller. Also I don't think the X1 7th gen exists yet. I'd wait for reviews on that.

It does, but considering that the 6th gen did have some issues with thermals, the case coating, and playing nicely with docks, waiting for proper reviews is probably a good idea. The XPS 13, on the other hand, is basically the same as the last gen with a few minor upgrades, so most of what's said about that one still apply.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Statutory Ape posted:

is there a good battery tool /software i can use to look @ battery stats and info, drainage, usage etc?

When I was trying to diagnose my battery usage, another goon pointed me towards Battery Bar which worked really well and told you everything you need to know.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

There is also a built in windows report generator that is pretty detailed:
code:
powercfg /batteryreport /output "C:\battery_report.html" 
No clue how anyone is supposed to figure that out on their own though.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

CopperHound posted:

There is also a built in windows report generator that is pretty detailed:
code:
powercfg /batteryreport /output "C:\battery_report.html" 
No clue how anyone is supposed to figure that out on their own though.

is there a way i can make that a button

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Make a .bat and pin it to your desktop/start menu?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i honestly thought that might be the answer and assumed that theres no way that i was going to find solace in "bat.bat"

Thegrul
Oct 27, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There isn't an objective answer to that question. Check out the OP, there's a handy form that will help us answer your questions.

edit: lol no there isn't I was thinking of the PC building thread. Anyway, what do you actually do with your computer? What do you like or not like about laptops?

I'll be using it for university (electronic engineering), and I don't play video games. I watch a lot of shows and movies but I mostly watch on my tv and tablet anyway. I like the portability of the XPS 13 and i hear good things about their new thermal solution. One concern is that a lot of people mention wifi issues, but it seems like a driver update is out now.

Mu Zeta posted:

Both should have pretty similar specs except one is 13" and the other 14". Are you also going to have a desktop or external monitor? If yes, I'd get the Dell.

I'm not going to have a desktop immediately but I have an older laptop that I'm going to park on my desk and within a year I'll probably get a desktop. Lenovo does include a longer warranty, but I'm in the european union so I get 2 years on either anyway.

e: I want 16 GB of ram so I'm forced onto a high configuration of the XPS, but I don't really mind anyway.

Thegrul fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 29, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Looking for a laptop for my dad, I'm down to either the Lenovo V320-17IKB 81CN or Thinkpad E585. I realise they have quite different specs, but battery life isn't paramount and it's almost impossible to navigate this jungle of a trillion different models. Any reason why I'd stay away from either and are there better options in the same price range that I might have glossed over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

I'm looking for a gaming laptop that's pretty much a desktop replacement. It'll spend 99% of the time docked and plugged into a 144hz 1080p monitor. I'd like to play the latest FPSs at full but don't need VR or anything.

There's just so many options out there so I was looking for a few recommendations. I tend to just pick whatever is recommended in the OP but it looks like the last update was May 2018.