Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I play fencer first and this game makes every goddamn weapon pick up have to go to little babby Ranger who deserves nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Drakenel posted:

We all love our fancy guns and loadouts in the fencers and wing divers, and the sheer firepower of air raiders.

But I still play ranger first. Being an ordinary footslogger armed with whatever guns he can get his normal rear end hands on and the irrepressible pride of screaming EDF at all times of the day...

Just captures the very spirit of the game, ya know?

Hes an awesome powerman. Cant fly, cant dash, cant aoe the entire map but nothing is more satisfying as to shred legs from below or make 10 bugs fly out of map bounds with the shotgun.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Ranger's superpower is the Slaughter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
thanks to damage falloff i pretty much never use assault rifles any more.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

40 Proof Listerine posted:

How do 4.1 Fencers deal with Retarius in an efficient manner?

Everything long range (Gallic Cannons, Heavy Mortars) has a really nasty arc and if I get tagged by a Retarius web (such as through a million buildings), that's basically game over.

You pretty much have to :gitgud: with those Gallics, they're your best ranged weapon once you're accustomed to them. If you can get close to the Retiarii, use Jackhammers or Disruptors.

The webs won't stick to you if you can block them with a shield, or one of the CC Striker weapons with damage reduction.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 24, 2019

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Try pairing your long-range weapon with a shield to block the webs, or a close-combat weapon to allow you to dash around attacks.

Additionally, I can't stress enough how important it is to learn the art of the dash-jump. I'm currently plowing through Hardest with a Vulcan Hammer-Dispersal Mortar-max dash/boost combo and it has allowed me to go toe-to-toe with silver spiders and gold ants without dying horribly. The trick is to line up your attack so that you're dash-jumping fast enough to avoid webs/goo during the windup, and still have enough momentum after the swing to dash away and repeat. With this you're effectively performing Vulcan drive-bys on everything, including drones.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Listerine is playing 4.1 so I don't think dash-jumping is an option.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
In that case, you can't go wrong with a Javelin-shield loadout to give yourself as much mobility as possible. Dash-cancel up to a lone spider, then switch to the close-range weapons of your choice to mulch it in seconds flat (I prefer the dual Jackhammers). Even if you take a hit, you're already where you want to be, and the damage output from your short-range weapons is usually enough to chew through webs that block your path.

This gets more complicated when other giant insects are around, but your ridiculous mobility will allow you to kite enemies while you whittle down the biggest threats. Just don't get caught reloading your shield or hit a rock.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
My favorite in 4.1 is javelin catapult and blasthole spear for dash canceling. The higher level spears have massive piercing damage and range

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jav Cats are great for big huge levels like Brute Force or Battle of Giants, or if you know you'll only be up against something like Earth Eaters, Deroys, or red ants. Otherwise it's all about the Reflector.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
You know what EDF needs?

Endless mode.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

You know what EDF needs?

Endless mode.

:hmmyes:
This goon gets it

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Motherfucker posted:

You know what EDF needs?

Endless mode.

The sky's the limit on what they could add in the future. I hope they're swimming in cash now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sandlot has a great big whiteboard in their office covered with ideas for the series. it reads: MORE BUGS!!!!!!! nothing else is written on it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao mission 103. It paces the waves juuuust long enough you think you've won every wave, so the last one, two of us are dead, I'm about to bite it, and a ranger is isolated. I suicide by Spritefall to kill all but a handful of bugs that the ranger picks off. We won!

Then it spawns another sixty flying frogs around the ranger, obliterating him. We couldn't stop laughing. It's peak EDF

quote:

I play fencer first and this game makes every goddamn weapon pick up have to go to little babby Ranger who deserves nothing.

I will never play anything but Air Raider so this mechanic is endlessly annoying to me

Vakal
May 11, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sandlot has a great big whiteboard in their office covered with ideas for the series. it reads: MORE BUGS!!!!!!! nothing else is written on it.

But what if... and hear me out first.

More bugs?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

RBA Starblade posted:

I will never play anything but Air Raider so this mechanic is endlessly annoying to me

Better than the alternative, where trying out another class forced you back down to base armor and level 0 weapons after you've had a blast fooling around with Inferno gear.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

When they ported 4.1 to the PS4 they were asked if the new generation of consoles meant there would be no frame rate drops. They replied along the lines of "lol no we added more enemies and explosions instead"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hard-tier airstrike: one bomber attacks in a line about half the size of a football field, softening up the enemies there and killing a couple

Hardest-tier airstrike: four bombers pulverize the entire city and everything in it

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Air raider: There goes the neighborhood.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Motherfucker posted:

You know what EDF needs?

Endless mode.

Bizarrely enough, loving Insect Armageddon of all games included a survival mode. You couldn't carry your normal characters into it so it sucked rear end in practice, but the concept was there.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Quote-Unquote posted:

When they ported 4.1 to the PS4 they were asked if the new generation of consoles meant there would be no frame rate drops. They replied along the lines of "lol no we added more enemies and explosions instead"

That's why PC port is the best port. That and mouse look.

I'm actually impressed by the quality of the port, given the failing of some other... larger games.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think i could handle fencer with a controller. for high speed melee, sure, but all of the good guns with range have so much recoil.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
on the flip it would be way easier to use a controller over hitting shift and spacebar over and over

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
God I wish I could draw.

Somehow, Fighter/Bomber DE 202 has on it:

1 190mm cannon:

1 180mm cannon:

4 150mm cannons:

1 120mm cannon:

1 105mm cannon:

At least 1 20mm minigun:

Along with who knows how many rocket pods, AtG missiles, and CRUISE MISSILES

how the gently caress does it even fly? Your guys are all impressed by the motherships; motherfucker are you aware of the thing I'm calling down airstrikes from? It's FLYING AROUND WITH A 190MM CANNON

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's an expansion on the technology that lets ground troops switch weapons without having to actually put them anywhere.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

the first encounter with betas on inferno is loving madness, they introduce burrowers early and the moment they surround you its loving over

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Blattdorf posted:

The sky's the limit on what they could add in the future. I hope they're swimming in cash now.
I want a return of the city-sized enemy. Doesn't have to be the same centipede from hell, just another creature. Even if it's a snake that explodes into smaller snakes.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Hwurmp posted:

You pretty much have to :gitgud: with those Gallics, they're your best ranged weapon once you're accustomed to them. If you can get close to the Retiarii, use Jackhammers or Disruptors.

The webs won't stick to you if you can block them with a shield, or one of the CC Striker weapons with damage reduction.

The Gallics got a lot easier to control when I realized the S+ accuracy wasn't lying and that they go exactly where the crosshair is pointed before arc kicks in; I was trying to aim above and around and missing wildly.

The secret sauce was actually 2x Dynamo Blades since the penetration on those gives no flips about Retiarius webs and the mid-charge can deal with brown spiders and the like.

Definitely got a huge amount of practice doing reflects now.

My new favorite thing I never knew was a thing (and dearly hope EDF 5 iterates on) is that double-tapping jump with the jump thrusters gives you like a 100m vert with which to scale skyscrapers and also punch low-flying transport ships.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

the fuckin' spritefall lady on early missions is hilarious.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Motherfucker posted:

the fuckin' spritefall lady on early missions is hilarious.

Somebody posted earlier that she's basically Rita Repulsa and it 100% fits.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Zex turrets are very on brand for air raider, in that a LOT of killing is going to happen and to who is really up for debate.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Zex Turrets are boring because they're on the ground. They should be your own attack drones.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm doing some grinding on hard and I would love to use something that enables all pick ups but I don't trust trainers by randos. Or is the trainer maker well-known and trusted? Which is the best one? I saw two posted in this thread. All I want is 'pick up all' or something to help with pickups.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Zex Turrets are boring because they're on the ground. They should be your own attack drones.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Drakenel posted:

We all love our fancy guns and loadouts in the fencers and wing divers, and the sheer firepower of air raiders.

But I still play ranger first. Being an ordinary footslogger armed with whatever guns he can get his normal rear end hands on and the irrepressible pride of screaming EDF at all times of the day...

Just captures the very spirit of the game, ya know?

I entered the series playing Ranger in EDF 2017 and I will exit this series playing ranger damnit. Cannot abandon my dude.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Mission pack DLC should now be available for EDF 5
https://twitter.com/EDF_OFFICIAL_EN/status/1154291325669236736

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Scalding Coffee posted:

I want a return of the city-sized enemy. Doesn't have to be the same centipede from hell, just another creature. Even if it's a snake that explodes into smaller snakes.

What about a giant snake that grows every time it eats a giant insect and when it dies it explodes into all the giant insects it ate

Really there's like no other game that plays at the scale EDF does, so much potential here

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 25, 2019

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

HolyKrap posted:

Really there's like no other game that plays at the scale EDF does, so much potential here
Which is why I am so incredibly disappointed in that JP modder who did some amazing things to 4.1 and never shared his mods with the public because of some stupid reason that doesn't matter because you literally cannot give me a good reason (short of pain of death) for not sharing those amazing mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoVjQ2lVM10

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Bofast posted:

Mission pack DLC should now be available for EDF 5
https://twitter.com/EDF_OFFICIAL_EN/status/1154291325669236736

Awesome. Multiplayer fun secured until 2020.