Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Once you make peace with the fact that it’s a linear game that moves you from combat to cutscene to combat, and doesn’t even pretend to do so otherwise, it becomes a very enjoyable game, especially since the combat gets really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

You ever want to make the FF subreddit mad? Tell them you don't like IX. Fun times, that.

But I dont... It and IV jockey for my "well at least its not 3ds" place

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

XIII and XIII-2 are fine. They're not my favorites but I don't hate them or anything.

Lightning Returns loving owns and I love it.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

cock hero flux posted:

one of your party members is basically the black guy from lethal weapon. he has an afro and a small chicken lives in it, and his equivalent of a limit break is doing donuts on the enemies in a car made of fire.

Why haven't I played this game

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm gonna blow your minds: it's okay to like games with flaws, or even bad games. For example, I like Drakengard.

I also like all Final Fantasies.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

VI and XII are my favorites. Aside from the MMOs, I haven't played II, III, X-2 and the XIII sequels, and I started with FFI when it came out. IV blew my goddamned mind when I first saw it. With that context, here's the take that'd anger the community at large: Of the FF games I've played, I rank VII at the bottom. :can:

When it came out, I remember thinking that the combat was fun, but the story was incomprehensible, and the 3D parts looked like complete and utter rear end. At the time, I said it was good but not as good as VI. When the next two games came out, especially after IX, I said it wasn't even the best FF game on PSX, so not even close to best of all time status that the rabid, annoying fan community elevated it to.

I really enjoyed XIII as well. When that came out, I was suffering decision fatigue from giant "Your choices matter!" RPGs like Dragon Age and Mass Effect, so I actually welcomed the linearity, and the combat was really fun once you fully engaged with it.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

My favorites are VI and XII. And I’ve played them all but 13 and 14 from way back in 3rd grade with II on the SNES

I don’t know what it is about twelve, but it’s the one that does it for me. I loving love it, but really wish it didn’t end so abruptly. “Oh by the way Vayne is super sayan now kthnxbye”

But I love the world building, I love the cities feeling lived in and populated, I love the dungeons and the soundtrack is aces.

God help me I even love Vaan and Penelo. Maybe it’s stockholm syndrome.

Edit: ^^^^ whassup fave FF buddy?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i liked final fantasy 13 because the fights were more interesting than typical final fantasy combat and i bought the game because i wanted to check out the story, and while the story wasn't great it was very refreshing to get story beats regularly and without semi-mandated side treks out to side quest/grind.

anyways then the game dumped me into gran pulse and i stopped liking it

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
VI and XII are also my favorites but VII is a strong third for me. I have enjoyed every one in some way, though I haven't really been able to get into VIII IX or X. Think I'll put some effort into IX after I get through all the expansion content in XIV, but probably going to wait for the VIII remaster at this point to play that. I still don't get what people see in X. I have started the remaster several times and the voice acting is so god damned bad compared to XII, I just find it way too distracting. Maybe I should give it a try with the Japanese voice over subs.

Lost Odyssey and Chrono Trigger are definitely up there for me in Final Fantasies with their serial numbers filed off.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tall Tale Teller posted:

My favorites are VI and XII. And I’ve played them all but 13 and 14 from way back in 3rd grade with II on the SNES

I don’t know what it is about twelve, but it’s the one that does it for me. I loving love it, but really wish it didn’t end so abruptly. “Oh by the way Vayne is super sayan now kthnxbye”

But I love the world building, I love the cities feeling lived in and populated, I love the dungeons and the soundtrack is aces.

God help me I even love Vaan and Penelo. Maybe it’s stockholm syndrome.

Edit: ^^^^ whassup fave FF buddy?

vaan and penelo blow but agreed on XII otherwise, and every character who isn't vaan and penelo is really good when they're allowed to be relevant

honestly i dunno if i'd really call XII one of my favorites because the combat isn't terribly interesting and cool characters like basch stop being relevant and the middle of the story is basically a series of sign posts telling you what new direction to start walking in. i'd really love a proper remake of XII, or some kind of sequel or spinoff set in the same world/time period and given a similar scale, because i think with some small adjustments (to big things, like the story, that you're not going to get out of the zodiac version or any other updated remaster) it definitely could be a solid favorite of mine

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I do not remember how the hell levelling up/getting new abilities works in FF9 at all, is there a short "here's how to handle building characters" guide online somewhere or just general advice?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

DrNutt posted:

I still don't get what people see in X.

I'm not trying to convince you to give the game another shot, but for me, I enjoyed the battle system, and I was overall impressed with the plot, for a FF game. Tidus made sense for being who he was going through what he was. And I thought it was pretty ballsy to have it end the way it did. I was expecting some trick to make everything sunshine and rainbows, but that they actually went with bittersweet came as a surprise.

There is also probably a hint of nostalgia. I was 16 when X dropped in the states, and while this is the remastered version, this scene is really the first time I can remember being just absolutely blown away that video games could look and sound like that. I'd been playing FF since I was six, starting with the first game. The PSX games had been impressive, but that was the first one to really just hit me with "Holy poo poo" about how they'd progressed. I was hooked from that moment on.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Whalley posted:

I do not remember how the hell levelling up/getting new abilities works in FF9 at all, is there a short "here's how to handle building characters" guide online somewhere or just general advice?

items have abilities on them, earning AP from battles with them equipped allows you to unlock them for that character after which you can then equip the abilities, but can only have a limited number equipped at each time

honestly it's basically just Paper Mario's system if badges had xp that you had to grind up before you could use them

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Final Fantasies with their serial numbers filed off.

I'm curious what other games would people throw on the pile for giving off this sort of vibe, particularly in the NES and SNES era. Romancing saga and chrono trigger are my big ones personally- coming across RS a few years back and realizing there was this whole other game with the look and feel of FF4/5 was kind of mindblowing to me. I'm sure there's probably a good chunk of other Japan only releases I'm oblivious to that would scratch the same itch

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I'm not trying to convince you to give the game another shot, but for me, I enjoyed the battle system, and I was overall impressed with the plot, for a FF game. Tidus made sense for being who he was going through what he was. And I thought it was pretty ballsy to have it end the way it did. I was expecting some trick to make everything sunshine and rainbows, but that they actually went with bittersweet came as a surprise.

There is also probably a hint of nostalgia. I was 16 when X dropped in the states, and while this is the remastered version, this scene is really the first time I can remember being just absolutely blown away that video games could look and sound like that. I'd been playing FF since I was six, starting with the first game. The PSX games had been impressive, but that was the first one to really just hit me with "Holy poo poo" about how they'd progressed. I was hooked from that moment on.

Yeah, I think part of the problem for me is that I went through a phase where I didn't have a current game console and didn't play a lot of games for awhile, so I stopped being current with the series after 7 and hopped back on with 12. So I don't have any nostalgia glasses to help me with 8,9,10 the way I do with the others. I do like the battle system and the dumb character designs a lot, and of course the music is fantastic. I am on a quest to finish all the Final Fantasies at some point so I'll get to it eventually.

pretty soft girl posted:

I'm curious what other games would people throw on the pile for giving off this sort of vibe, particularly in the NES and SNES era. Romancing saga and chrono trigger are my big ones personally- coming across RS a few years back and realizing there was this whole other game with the look and feel of FF4/5 was kind of mindblowing to me. I'm sure there's probably a good chunk of other Japan only releases I'm oblivious to that would scratch the same itch

I never played it myself but wasn't "Final Fantasy with the serial numbers filed off" essentially how The Last Story was marketed?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Bravely Default, and Second are very much "FF but not".

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lost Odyssey is the Final Fantasiest of Sakaguchi's post-Square Enix work.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Lost Odyssey is Final Fantasy, Blue Dragon is Dragon Quest.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Whalley posted:

Equipping gear with a valid ability lets you equip said ability. Mastering it with AP lets you keep the ability even if you swap to different gear.

An important thing to note is that Zidane's Dyne abilities while in Trance are tied to dagger skills. If you skip tiers and never master, say, Detect, there will be a hole in your Dyne list.

There's also a very small thing where gaining levels slowly gives you stat points based on what you're wearing, but that's so minor you can just ignore it on a normal playthrough.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I just realized the biggest plot hole in FF7 is that Barrett has access to a satellite with powerful lasers, which he could have used to kill many Shinra employees and reactors.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Isn't Baret's friend in FF7 named Dyne...hmm...

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Trance sucks and Dyne is also the worst part of FF7 so that checks out

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't like XIII's combat. It made my fingers hurt since I had the controller in a death grip. Reactions matter a lot in XIII's gameplay and that's not my thing. And while I like the characters of XIII, I don't like them enough to be overly fond of a game that is just combat, combat and more combat.

I love XIII-2 though because there's a lot more to do there than just fights. And when you do fight you can put funny hats on your monsters.

My favorite FFs vary by my mood. If I'm playing FFIX, it might be my favorite .If I'm playing FFX, it might be my favorite. I don't hate a single FF game, even if I complain about FFVIII a lot. It still has its good qualities but it disappoints me for all its squandered potential. That all being said my "top tier" FF games would be VII, IX and X. Slightly below them is VI and XII which are really good but I don't have the same level of affection for them having played them much later.

I'm still very grateful that I believe Mega64 recommended I try out Brave New World since that got me to finally complete FFVI and see how brilliant it was.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
FF9 seems a decent game. One that I just can't drag myself to finish. This is funny because I'm not a fan of FF4, but I was able to play through the PSP port of that one just a short while ago and abandoned FF9 a year ago. But I haven't touched Interlude of After Years yet. Not sure I liked FF5 much either come to think of it.

In FF6, since I'm one of the fanboys, I'm at the Dragon's Den, so I can unlock the Soul Shrine, and getting beaten around since not many of my guys are actually strong enough to fight multiple copies of a boss at the same time. I forgot about that. Back to very casually beating up Dinos and hoping for Celistrad drops.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

If you're not a fan of IV, I can absolutely suggest not bothering with TAY, and really not bothering with Interlude.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I mostly play the MMOs personally so XIV gets to be my favourite :v: XI is pretty decent too, but I stopped subbing when Shadowbringers came out because just not enough time. XII is my fav single player FF though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The best single player Final Fantasy game is Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AngryRobotsInc posted:

You ever want to make the FF subreddit mad? Tell them you don't like IX. Fun times, that.

9 is the worst one on ps1 :colbert:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

AngryRobotsInc posted:

If you're not a fan of IV, I can absolutely suggest not bothering with TAY, and really not bothering with Interlude.

Someone else hinted the same when I wrapped up FF4. I still wanna dip my toes in, but I might not make it to the ankles on either.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

9 is the worst one on ps1 :colbert:

Oh, I agree. They've just got a strooooong case of groupthink there, and I enjoyed riling them up. IX is one I feel similar to to VI. I can see the bits and pieces of a game I'd like in them, but the whole package just does not appeal to me.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Final Fantasy V still remains the mechanically ideal JRPG for me. Just the sheer flexibility, and the fact that somehow every single job is actually useful in distinct ways is amazing for 1992-era game design, especially considering what mechanical messes most of the other FF games are. Having magic commands actually transfer the magic stat to keep them useful (something many other job systems forget to do), the sheer variety of equipment that give a huge variety of options (seriously, Freelancer is one of the most powerful jobs even without abilities or stats since equipment, especially weapons, are so versatile), and having most jobs shine in specific situations encourages swapping your jobs and continuing to experiment. There's a reason the Four Job Fiesta continues to be popular after so many years.

It helps the rest of the game is solid, too. The story and characters aren't going to be as memorable as most of the other games, but it still follows the FF4 template of keeping things simple and focusing on execution rather than depth, and it works well for the type of game FF5 is. It's a nice, breezy setting to complement such fantastic game mechanics.

Definitely my second all-time favorite game behind Legend of Mana (for the opposite reasons, funnily enough).

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

FF5 is kinda weird to me that now, in 2019 in the age where there's a wealth of information about how to bust the game wide open and the weird tricks seemingly useless jobs can do it's a really varied experience

But man I remember just plain struggling to get anywhere in it back when the first J2E translation came out and there was hardly any information anywhere, about halfway through the game I started learning to dread the boss music

I don't even think I learnt about the classic dual wield x-fight spellblade combo until after my first limping playthrough

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I can't loving wait for more SaGa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9msvOOQP8k

Give us the dates already Square!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leal posted:

The best single player Final Fantasy game is Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringers.

Honestly I would put it up there just in terms of story/presentation/music. The Trust system kinda drags things down a little but not more than normal FF at least.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

XII has one of the only combat systems FF has ever done that I want them to iterate on and create a new game with, I think it's fantastic, difficulty aside. They could do a lot more with it if they wanted.

Also almost every character in that game is horny as hell

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

S.J. posted:

Also almost every character in that game is horny as hell

That's every Final Fantasy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

S.J. posted:

XII has one of the only combat systems FF has ever done that I want them to iterate on and create a new game with, I think it's fantastic, difficulty aside. They could do a lot more with it if they wanted.

They did iterate on the combat system and make it better: they called it ff13

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Mega64 posted:

That's every Final Fantasy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Is that from FFXI? When is XIV getting giraffe men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They did iterate on the combat system and make it better: they called it ff13

eww, no

not like that