Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

site posted:

Maybe I'll give it a shot when i can move up to lvl35 enhancements, but for now I'm finding not waiting around on cooldowns for basic attacks is making it actually fun to play

And that's why I always load up on Vet reward attacks from the P2W vendor. Stuff like Blackwand, Nemesis Staff and Sands of Mu help to make up for the lack of +Rec early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

site posted:

Maybe I'll give it a shot when i can move up to lvl35 enhancements, but for now I'm finding not waiting around on cooldowns for basic attacks is making it actually fun to play

did you take hasten? take hasten

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I AM THE MOON posted:

did you take hasten? take hasten

site posted:

And yes I already have 3 slotted haste, I do that for every character

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Hot off the discord:

quote:

Hello! In preparation for today's maintenance and move to the new forum, new account registration and game account management have both been locked.

Additionally, any posts made on the forum from this point on will not survive the move (we're working from a backup that has just been made). So feel free to post terrible jokes in #downtime-jokes or in this thread: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,7404.0.html

As mentioned yesterday in #server-status-updates, the maintenance today will be relatively lengthy whilst we run a number of Windows updates and get the new forum up and running.

A very small client update will also be pushed during maintenance, this is just some back-end technical updates.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,7404.0.html

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

do you have 5 gamblers? buy 5 gamblers

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
whats a gambler

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

site posted:

whats a gambler

There's a Legacy of the Gambler IO Set, one piece of which provides a global recharge bonus, and can be slotted in any Defense power.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh, that sounds p sweet...too bad i have electric armor secondary which is all damage resistance, not def lol

gonna check that out for some other characters tho

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

site posted:

oh, that sounds p sweet...too bad i have electric armor secondary which is all damage resistance, not def lol

Hover, Combat Jumping, Weave, etc can all take it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh poo poo hover, thats a good idea. actually thatll be really useful for my inf farm character too!

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

site posted:

stalker hide, stealth, ghost widow shadowmeld, combat jumping, weave boom 5 gamblers for 37.5% global recharge at the low low cost of 7 power choices (hide is mandatory, weave has 2 prereqs, shadowmeld has 1) and like 40m inf

(stalker elec armor fuckin rules and i did this on my kin/elec except i couldn't fit stealth. i forget what i got instead)

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I AM THE MOON posted:

stalker hide, stealth, ghost widow shadowmeld, combat jumping, weave boom 5 gamblers for 37.5% global recharge at the low low cost of 7 power choices (hide is mandatory, weave has 2 prereqs, shadowmeld has 1) and like 40m inf

(stalker elec armor fuckin rules and i did this on my kin/elec except i couldn't fit stealth. i forget what i got instead)

I believe Maneuvers and Vengeance each take LotG as well.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

site posted:

Electric Armor has a passive 20% recharge bonus, so you don't need LotG as badly as most other sets. (But by all means add five if you feel it will help).

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Electric Armor has a passive 20% recharge bonus, so you don't need LotG as badly as most other sets. (But by all means add five if you feel it will help).

counterpoint: shove as much in as possible its a gift from the perma-hasten gods

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I AM THE MOON posted:

counterpoint: shove as much in as possible its a gift from the perma-hasten gods

5 LotG + the 20% built in from Elec Armor is a little over half of what you need for Permahasten, if I'm napkin mathing this correctly.

Hasten needs 275% total, but it gives itself 70%, so you're aiming for 205%. Triple slotting it in same level IOs gives you for 95% so realistically you need 110% from other sources. 5x LotG + 20% = 57.5 so you only need 52.5% from other sources.

You can sneak a little more out by upgrading the slots in Hasten, and fit an extra 15-20% from the Agility incarnate slot, but you're primed to hit permahasten without dipping spending half a billion inf on sets.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

I AM THE MOON posted:

And dont forget buffs from super base for an extra 20% haste

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

tezcat posted:

And dont forget buffs from super base for an extra 20% haste

I have a base, how do I get buffs

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

site posted:

I have a base, how do I get buffs

Both the Supercollider & Mystic Crucible allow you to trade salvage for buffs. The 20% haste (listed as Attack Speed) requires salvage of Destiny, Kinetic Weapon & a Ruby for an hour long haste buff. There are other buffs available as well for resist and whatnot, but that buff stands out (basically 3 LotGs on top of whatever haste you have but cost 3 salvage you probably destroy or sell anyway)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I suppose goons did warn me about this, but I've hit level 10 on one character and near that on a few more, and am not sure if I'm going to keep slugging away at this game. It feels very dated, a lot like vanilla WoW. For a price of free I can't complain too much, but I think I'm accustomed to a more modern kind of RPG. Things I've noticed:

Heroes feel dangerously incompetent, at least at the levels I'm at. Missing three or four attacks in a row against a same-level enemy happens with some regularity, and can be deadly when the RNG decides I just can't put a schmuck down.

Hospitals are often incredibly inconvenient, even if picking up flight means getting back to where I was is a lot easier than vanilla WoW graveyard placements.

The UI in general feels obtuse. Had to repeatedly ask in the global help channel for assistance with basic UI tasks.

Some classes (or power sets) feel very weak starting out. Shooting a same-level minion with an assault rifle does maybe a quarter of his health, and your health recovers extremely slowly - my primary character so far at least has Fast Healing from Willpower to help with that.

And a personal bugaboo, but I tend to play video games mainly for story, and I don't feel like I'm getting much of one so far. I can't tell whether most or all or none of these contact missions are randomly generated filler or not - the only one I've done that I'm certain was not was a arc about a hero named Twinshot and raiding Manticore's mansion. I seemed to be on a story arc about fighting the Hellions, until it suddenly turned into hunting the Circle of Thorns. Was that Bahamut guy I stomped in an office building the Hellion leader or something?

To make this more than just a bitch post, though, I will note some things I've liked:

Character customization is pants on head insane, especially with Homecoming having unlocked every visual option out of the box. I think I've spent as much time or more in the character designer than I have playing the actual game.

The sheer variety of powers and combinations is impressive, even if there are distinct winners and losers.

Likewise, I enjoy the immense variety in bad guys I've fought. The actual missions I've done have been exclusively about the Hellions, Skulls, Arachnos, and now the Circle of Thorns to date, but I've also seen and skirmished with Clockwork, Vahzilok, and Council, and that's just in the first two zones. They all have a distinct aesthetic, and I'm kinda sad it's so remarkable that City of Heroes encourages me to beat up modern day Nazis - and I kinda wish I'd gotten more Council in missions towards that end.

Getting flight almost immediately is huge.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Cythereal posted:

The sheer variety of powers and combinations is impressive, even if there are distinct winners and losers.

I'm genuinely curious what someone with your perspective thinks the winners and losers are. Most of us are vets who have spent hours on the build designer and trekked to 50 many times over, and I think at a certain point you forget what things look like with fresh eyes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nonexistence posted:

I'm genuinely curious what someone with your perspective thinks the winners and losers are. Most of us are vets who have spent hours on the build designer and trekked to 50 many times over, and I think at a certain point you forget what things look like with fresh eyes.

Winners I've seen so far:

Assault Rifle. Slug's knockdown seems to happen a lot, and it's very welcome when it happens. I think it's also struck me as particularly good because it's very visible when it happens, as opposed to other procs that are much less visible to the player when they go off.

Dark Melee. This is what my notional main runs around with, and between the accuracy debuff and the lifesteal, it does a lot to help keep a scrapper up.

Nature Manipulation. Blasters getting a root right out of the box is really good.

Losers:

Psionic Blast. I consider this one a loser simply for the ungodly noise it makes. :v:

Debuff powers in general. I get that they're very powerful late in the game, but early on they feel nigh useless. They don't seem to do much (probably more a result of the enemy not having much to debuff in the first place), and they whiff as often as any other power. The frequency of misses is probably my single biggest issue with the combat in this game. Almost every single time I've died, it's because my hero could not for the life of her consistently hit an enemy her level or one above her.

Armor powers. Again, I get that these are probably very strong later in the game, but they seem to do very little for a new player. Then again, my one try at a tanker was Science, and Vahzilok seem to hit awfully hard in general. Maybe I would have noticed it more if I had more experience fighting Vahzilok as other archetypes.

These are just my impressions as someone brand new to the game who's only gotten one character out of Atlas Park, mind, and I have enough MMO experience to realize that a lot of power sets will only come into their own later in the game, but these are the ones that have made an impression on me right away.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I suppose goons did warn me about this, but I've hit level 10 on one character and near that on a few more,

I feel like you're not far enough yet and haven't experienced the things that really change how characters play - the entire enhancement system can shore up many of your problems, especially as you gain levels and get access to better enhancements. Between level 10 and 20 you tend to get powers that really help round out and define archetypes, allowing you to do burst dps phases or become extremely tanky.

I feel like the way you describe it as 'slugging' is a bit telling - there's a lot of quality of life things you can do to make the game more fun and fast, but like most MMOs actually knowing what they are and finding them can be kind of hard when you're just starting out. Some thoughts:
- Do you have the Double XP Boosters from the P2W vendor? Turning off influence drops sounds bad on paper, but the practical fact is that you'll tend to make enough money selling orange salvage on the auction house that you can get away with having double XP on all the time.
- It doesn't sound like you're grouping. I get wanting to experience the plot, but early COX missions are not the most scintillating thing ever, and imo the best fun you can have in this game is rolling around as a katamari of destruction and flashing special effects. It feels big and cool for you and your group to crash into a cloud of enemies and come out on top, and for me that's the enduring appeal of this game over other MMOs. Later, you'll get access to a place where you can level sync and play any story arc you missed, so you won't lose out on anything. COX makes grouping super easy because it'll happily level you up or down to match any group.
- I don't know what the goon population is like, but on the public servers, see all those guys yelling for DFB? That's a low-level raid that's intended to push you through the early-game quickly and get you set up with some cool powers and accuracy/damage buffs that last until you're level 20. With double XP boosters on, two of these runs will get you to 12+. It also ends with a pretty neat boss fight that might be more the sort of thing you're looking for.

By sheer virtue of its age and the time it came out, COX doesn't really have the support for single-player content that more recent MMOs like FFIX do, which might mean it's not for you. That's totally fair, but I'd encourage trying a couple of the things above out if only because it's hard to put in words how good it can feel to have a lovely day at work, drop into the game, and become a unstoppable whirlwind who tosses bad guys around.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Losers:

Psionic Blast. I consider this one a loser simply for the ungodly noise it makes. :v:

Debuff powers in general. I get that they're very powerful late in the game, but early on they feel nigh useless. They don't seem to do much (probably more a result of the enemy not having much to debuff in the first place), and they whiff as often as any other power. The frequency of misses is probably my single biggest issue with the combat in this game. Almost every single time I've died, it's because my hero could not for the life of her consistently hit an enemy her level or one above her.

Armor powers. Again, I get that these are probably very strong later in the game, but they seem to do very little for a new player. Then again, my one try at a tanker was Science, and Vahzilok seem to hit awfully hard in general. Maybe I would have noticed it more if I had more experience fighting Vahzilok as other archetypes.

You are spot on about Psionic Blast.

Debuff powers, like those on a Defender or Corruptor, are more force multipliers than anything else. You can solo with those classes, but hey really shine on teams.

and yes, the Vahzilok are really stupidly strong, between doing Toxic damage that very few sets have any defense or resistance against, their various debuffs and exploding mobs, it's tough.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Let me tell you about Kinetic Melee...

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Cythereal posted:

These, I totally understand, especially if you solo more often than not. In terms of return vs. endurance cost, especially at lower levels, investing in more attacks is the more efficient reward, since killing an enemy more quickly has the more immediate and expedient effect. As pointed out, though, you can see these effects really shine on teams.

quote:

Character customization is pants on head insane, especially with Homecoming having unlocked every visual option out of the box. I think I've spent as much time or more in the character designer than I have playing the actual game.

This, for a lot of people, is the entire game. Having a character concept that makes me laugh and is able to be completely and satisfyingly executed within the character creator has carried me through a lot of characters with subpar abilities.

quote:

And a personal bugaboo, but I tend to play video games mainly for story, and I don't feel like I'm getting much of one so far. I can't tell whether most or all or none of these contact missions are randomly generated filler or not - the only one I've done that I'm certain was not was a arc about a hero named Twinshot and raiding Manticore's mansion. I seemed to be on a story arc about fighting the Hellions, until it suddenly turned into hunting the Circle of Thorns. Was that Bahamut guy I stomped in an office building the Hellion leader or something?

Absolutely no argument here. When the game launched, the devs assumed that people would primarily level via street sweeping (yes, really), and mission rewards were weak. Indoor missions were an afterthought, and while most (but not all!) contacts had story arcs that had interesting nuggets that would advance the game lore, the actual missions available to you were randomly selected. Which meant that you would often have to go through several rounds of either "Kill X enemies in Y zone" or "Complete generic fluff indoor mission Z" before getting to an arc that was actually interesting that shed light on some game lore. Even then, most of the genuinely interesting plot twists didn't happen until 30-40.

They made efforts over the years to boost the attractiveness of low-level content -- usually tied to zone-specific arcs like The Hollows and Faultline -- but they kept it alongside the creaky old content. As you've noticed, then, a lot of it seems completely discontinuous, with a lot of whipsawing between disparate plotlines. While it may have satisfied longtime players who were bored with repeating old content, there was little in the way of explicit plot threads that would help a new player who understandably wasn't willing to dig through the fan wikis.

If you want a more guided and cohesive plot experience, I might suggest (for heroside) doing the Atlas Park arcs through Aaron Thiery, maybe also doing all the Twinshot arcs if you need some basic tutorials on game locations and resources, but moving on to the Hollows after level 5 (there are 2 sets of 2 contacts at roughly 5-10 and 10-15), Faultline at level 15 (2x2 contacts at 15-20 and 20-25), and the Midnighter Club arcs starting at level 10. That should give you a relatively focused set of plot arcs to give you an idea of how things progress, without having to rely on the randomness of the really old legacy plotlines.

The other option is just teaming a lot, going with the flow, and seeing if the absolutely batshit chaos of particle effects and random selection of teammates of varying degrees of competence offer you the gameplay experience you're looking for.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 24, 2019

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
One of my teammates complained that one of my Beam Rifle character's blasts sounded like a cow mooing. I normally play the game muted and listen to podcasts while level grinding so I unmuted it curiously and holy crap are the SFX for that powerset harsh.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stelas posted:

- It doesn't sound like you're grouping. I get wanting to experience the plot, but early COX missions are not the most scintillating thing ever, and imo the best fun you can have in this game is rolling around as a katamari of destruction and flashing special effects. It feels big and cool for you and your group to crash into a cloud of enemies and come out on top, and for me that's the enduring appeal of this game over other MMOs. Later, you'll get access to a place where you can level sync and play any story arc you missed, so you won't lose out on anything. COX makes grouping super easy because it'll happily level you up or down to match any group.
- I don't know what the goon population is like, but on the public servers, see all those guys yelling for DFB? That's a low-level raid that's intended to push you through the early-game quickly and get you set up with some cool powers and accuracy/damage buffs that last until you're level 20. With double XP boosters on, two of these runs will get you to 12+. It also ends with a pretty neat boss fight that might be more the sort of thing you're looking for.

By sheer virtue of its age and the time it came out, COX doesn't really have the support for single-player content that more recent MMOs like FFIX do, which might mean it's not for you. That's totally fair, but I'd encourage trying a couple of the things above out if only because it's hard to put in words how good it can feel to have a lovely day at work, drop into the game, and become a unstoppable whirlwind who tosses bad guys around.

I haven't done any grouping yet, no. I tend to be a very solitary player, and a casual single-player experience (that happens to have other people around) is what I was hoping for. I do enjoy playing a support role in groups, but CoH doesn't have the tools to easily drop into group content that WoW and FF14 have that make grouping in those games tolerable for me (and even then, not something I do much in WoW especially unless it's finishing a zone story ending in a dungeon).

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Absolutely no argument here. When the game launched, the devs assumed that people would primarily level via street sweeping (yes, really), and mission rewards were weak. Indoor missions were an afterthought, and while most (but not all!) contacts had story arcs that had interesting nuggets that would advance the game lore, the actual missions available to you were randomly selected. Which meant that you would often have to go through several rounds of either "Kill X enemies in Y zone" or "Complete generic fluff indoor mission Z" before getting to an arc that was actually interesting that shed light on some game lore. Even then, most of the genuinely interesting plot twists didn't happen until 30-40.

I actually enjoy the indoor missions alright. The idea of a self-contained single player dungeon works for me, and it's certainly better than flying around tabbing to find an enemy group that is both the type I'm looking for and is a group I can take on (I've spent so much time flying around Kings Row looking for Thorns packs on the rooftops I can take on - I've learned to not tangle with bosses).

quote:

The other option is just teaming a lot, going with the flow, and seeing if the absolutely batshit chaos of particle effects and random selection of teammates of varying degrees of competence offer you the gameplay experience you're looking for.

That's not the kind of experience I'm looking for. No offense, but City's graphics are too dated to hold a candle compared to a FF14 alliance raid or trial.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

a lot of it seems completely discontinuous, with a lot of whipsawing between disparate plotlines.

Just as one example of this:

Very early on (late 2004), the first free content expansion of CoH (that raised the level cap from 40 to 50) introduced a couple of story arcs taking place in a dimension (Praetoria) that was basically the Star Trek "beard universe," where all the heroes were villains and vice versa. There were story arcs where you fought evil versions of the canonical heroes; you rescued Statesman; good fun, the end.

Much later on, the second paid expansion (after City of Villains) was Going Rogue, which offered an entirely new starting experience for players -- they could start out in Praetoria, as Praetorians, only this time it wasn't so much a mirror universe as a total grey area, where mirror-Statesman had established a utopia that was more sinister than it seemed, but at the same time, the Resistance wasn't always fully heroic either. Players were able to choose a more fluid path that was almost never fully heroic or villainous, involving various moral tradeoffs and the constant potential foe side-switching; good fun, but then at level 20 you had to go to the main "Prime" universe and decide to be a straight-up Hero or Villain.

At the same time, the game introduced post-level 50 content ("Incarnate" trials) revolving around a war between Praetorian Earth and Prime Earth.

Later, they introduced a level 20-25 Praetorian zone taking place prior to that war.

Later than that, a level 25-30 Praetorian zone.

Then, as one of the last content updates, a series of level 35-50 arcs taking place after the level 50+ war trials.

As a result, a first-time player could hit level 35 and be instantly introduced to a contact that assumed at least some familiarity with the level 50+ contact or the 100% optional level 25-30 Praetorian content.

With all the emphasis on filling out new content for low level players, there was a surprisingly little amount of attention paid to how overwhelming and intimidating it could all be to the complete, rank newbie.

quote:

That's not the kind of experience I'm looking for. No offense, but City's graphics are too dated to hold a candle compared to a FF14 alliance raid or trial.

No offense taken! The last non-CoX MMO I played was Warhammer for like, a month, so my perspective on that is obviously limited. CoX's graphics are very dated, no doubt (but I highly second Hefty Leftist's recommendation for using reshading), but the appeal is, to me, in the chaos of gameplay rather than graphical quality. The gameplay experience can conceivably be extremely different based on whether you're solo or in an 8-person team; how well your team clicks (even a bad team can be fun in some situations); the relative difficulty of the missions; mission structure (like constant ambushes); etc.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 24, 2019

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Losers:

vahzilok do a damage type that i can almost guarantee your "____ armor" secondary did nothing to resist. theyre fuckers and we all hate them too

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Yeah Vahz are a level 20-ish mob that's inexplicably a starting mob. The other origins are relatively gimmickless; Hellions, Skulls, and Council all do the most common and heavily resisted damage type for the vast majority of their attacks, and the Clockwork, who don't, have a bunch of weaknesses in addition to not being that much worse. Vahz do a virtually unresisted damage type, hit like trucks, also have a group rez gimmick and a helping of secondary slow, and their bosses can chain-stun you, at levels where even the archetypes that get mez resist don't have it. They're overtuned for new players by a lot.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Armors are also really difficult to judge in the earlygame because the numbers are more or less designed around them being SO'd out much later on, so they feel underpowered in the early game where everyone is, more or less, squishy

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

I suppose goons did warn me about this, but I've hit level 10 on one character and near that on a few more, and am not sure if I'm going to keep slugging away at this game. It feels very dated, a lot like vanilla WoW. For a price of free I can't complain too much, but I think I'm accustomed to a more modern kind of RPG. Things I've noticed:

Heroes feel dangerously incompetent, at least at the levels I'm at. Missing three or four attacks in a row against a same-level enemy happens with some regularity, and can be deadly when the RNG decides I just can't put a schmuck down.

Hospitals are often incredibly inconvenient, even if picking up flight means getting back to where I was is a lot easier than vanilla WoW graveyard placements.

The UI in general feels obtuse. Had to repeatedly ask in the global help channel for assistance with basic UI tasks.

Some classes (or power sets) feel very weak starting out. Shooting a same-level minion with an assault rifle does maybe a quarter of his health, and your health recovers extremely slowly - my primary character so far at least has Fast Healing from Willpower to help with that.

All I can share is my experience, and from discussions I've had I play really weird. But one major thing that's worked for me is to mostly be hands off the mouse and pilot entirely with keyboard controls. WASD motion and the numpad to fire powers off from the power trays.
  • Damage (or primary damage) on 1-9
  • Support (or secondary damage) on ctrl+1-9
  • Temporary buffs like Aim and Build Up on chorded decimal, self-heals on chorded 0, travels on multiply and subtract, veteran powers on chorded +
  • Weird stuff on shift+1-9, like mastermind controls, weapon/armor forms, or pool attack powers on solo builds for controllers.
  • Inspirations on alt+1-9. Green bar on 1, blue bar on 2, then damage, accuracy, defense, resist, set up to use them smallest to largest so I can save the bigguns for the future.

Inspirations are the easiest way to grease the wheels at lower levels. You should be using them all the time. Like, maybe save an accuracy, luck, health, and break free for an emergency? But they drop astonishingly regularly and even a baby inspiration can shift the baby odds pretty big. An awaken is good to have in teams when someone else can take out all the nasties corpse camping you, but you'll rarely be in a good position to use one solo unless you break and run and don't quite make it. You can buy inspirations from any contact you've talked to a little bit, or on the bottom floor of hospitals. They're cheap as chips.

If you just want to stuff your basic attacks full of training accuracies until you hit 12, that'll probably do okay. You won't be missing out on a lot of damage or anything.

The faster you can get to the point where your attack animations are the limiting factor in the damage you can put out, the better. So while an AR burst doesn't do too much to an on-level minion, going buckshot-burst-slug-burst is probably going to put one down and start you on the next one. Usually your attack set is going to give you powers you can hit as 1-2-1-3 repeat, though blaster primaries have enough AOE in them that sometimes it'll be more like 1-2-1-ao3-1-2-1-4oe. Lining up the spread and power rotation for maximum output under Aim or Buildup is something you'll want to practice.

You're only doing a mission that "matters" in the game plot if your contact has blue text at the top of the mission they're giving you, like this:

Everything else is just for flavor. Like, you'll get a little incidental detail on what an enemy group is like and how it operates, but none of it's meant to connect into a bigger story. Contact missions aren't randomly generated, for certain levels of randomly generated - each contact only has a finite number of missions, but the missions themselves are often constructed as, say, take an arbitrary "medium-sized" office map, fill it full of clockwork, put in three hostages and two glowies in the middle bits, stick a named boss and a glowie in the final room. The missions from the police radio that you get by talking to a detective are genuinely random and mix-and-match setups from a much larger pool.

But even random missions are group content, as long as you get a group. The game will autospawn the clockwork for that mission based on how many heroes come in the door - more and more heroes meet more and more Clockwork, with multiple minions getting replaced by a lieutenant or a boss.

Finally, there's the genuine intended-for-group content, the task forces, giant mission chains you can usually knock out in an hour or so these days. People will talk about Positron or "Posi", which has two parts - the first starts at 8, the second at 11. Synapse starts at 15, Penelope Yin at 20, Citadel at 25, Manticore at 30, Numina at 35. Most other task forces people will include the minimum level.

Especially if you're a scrapper, don't worry too much about noobing it up in them. As long as you don't train an entire room on top your teammates you'll do fine; just be honest about how new you are. The rough expectation levels go Tank > Brute/Defender > Corruptor/Controller/Mastermind > warm body. People rarely run task forces out of the LFG channel at elevated difficulties - +0 merits spend as good as any other kind.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

I haven't done any grouping yet, no. I tend to be a very solitary player, and a casual single-player experience (that happens to have other people around) is what I was hoping for. I do enjoy playing a support role in groups, but CoH doesn't have the tools to easily drop into group content that WoW and FF14 have that make grouping in those games tolerable for me (and even then, not something I do much in WoW especially unless it's finishing a zone story ending in a dungeon).

This isn't really what CoX is I'm afraid, and you'll be disappointed if that's what you're looking for. The majority of the appeal of CoX is manic grouping. 8 man groups where the particles effects fly freely and mobs are getting dunked on en masse superheroically. One of the most effective ways to enjoy the story in this game is to group incessantly to 50, and then level sync down to do stories when the mood takes you.

It's not impossible to enjoy solo content in this game but from what you've described you're probably gonna have a fairly bad time overall.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm not sure I agree with that. There's plenty of room for soloing all the way to max level in City, at whatever pace you choose. I enjoy partying in crazy piles of exploding baddies but sometimes I also like to chill out and run missions by myself too. Soloing is also the closest you can get to finding something resembling narrative structure, though you still have to put in some work to make that happen (which is not a good thing).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i play solo exclusively and personally i think it's fine. but also yeah coh is not a game that is gonna give you a modern single player rpg plotline experience, with optional grouping, and there is (at least in my mind) the expectation that there will be moments where you will have to powerlevel one or two steps ahead to keep up if you're going alone. you just kinda have to be predisposed to wanting to play the superhero experience despite this

site fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 24, 2019

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

you totally CAN solo but even batman is part of the justice league or hangs out with superman or whatever sometimes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the problem is that you've played to level 10 over and over instead of progressing. 1-10 is the most boring and non-cohesive set of content in the whole game

your character is going to feel bad to play until about level 20, objectively. fortunately if you jump into a group (and btw just dropping into a group is actually super-easy in this game - just watch the LFG channel and respond to one of the calls for team members. you don't need a fancy UI tool when you can literally join an appropriate group in seconds the traditional way) then it takes a couple of hours at most to get to 20. you can also solo your way there without too many problems, honestly, as long as you're playing an offensive AT.

as far as whether missions are random or not: no mission is random except for newspaper/radio missions, but some are filler. there are a few that tell their own mini-story which are unmarked, but most story-related missions will have a title in their description, like "Heart of the Hollows" or whatever, to denote that they're part of a named story arc. again, this is a thing where you're running into problems because you're repeating the first ten levels - 1-10 doesn't have story arcs except for twinshot, matthew habashy, and the cop guy in the hollows, for heroes anyway. they only show up on the 10+ contacts

additionally, you complained about how your damage is anemic and you only deal 25% damage per attack to minions. okay...what archetype are you talking about? that sounds about right for a tanker or a defender's damage output, but not a scrapper, stalker, blaster, etc.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 24, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I AM THE MOON posted:

you totally CAN solo but even batman is part of the justice league or hangs out with superman or whatever sometimes.

Yeah, well when I want to do task forces at level 50 and I literally can't complete them solo then I guess I'll have to group, but that's not how I like to play so I don't

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

you can hit level 10 in a half hour with 2 runs of 2x XP Death from Below, which is constantly going in the LFG channel.

really get a feel for your char at about 18 when one of the big cornerstone powers of your primary set usually drops in + you have your bread and butter stuff. Plus you can go to cooler zones and escape Atlas Park

site posted:

Yeah, well when I want to do task forces at level 50 and I literally can't complete them solo then I guess I'll have to group, but that's not how I like to play so I don't

yeah you're gonna have a bad time trying to solo like, BAF lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They should reopen galaxy city just so I don't have to see Atlas park every time I roll a new character

As it is I just immediately go run bad in space in ae and level up to 13 in 15 minutes and peace out

I AM THE MOON posted:

yeah you're gonna have a bad time trying to solo like, BAF lmao

What's that

site fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 24, 2019