Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just to be clear, tanking is definitely not as hard as some players make it sound, but that doesn't mean it's boring. I'm enjoying it a lot and there's a lot of room for optimizing. It's a role that's easy to learn but had plenty of room to grow into mastery, and that's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I think it's not as much the releveling itself but rather the amount of runs of the same dungeon you need to do to reach the next one which is absolutely exhausting.

We're talking 6-8 runs per level and dungeons only unlock every other level. That and you cannot level the set of 5 at a time obviously. So you'll need to repeat the whole ordeal for the second set.

Yeah if it took two or maybe three runs off a dungeon to level them up that would be one thing. Or if the AI was smart enough to use AoEs to get things moving along at a reasonable pace. As it is now, it's just painful.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I think it's not as much the releveling itself but rather the amount of runs of the same dungeon you need to do to reach the next one which is absolutely exhausting.

We're talking 6-8 runs per level and dungeons only unlock every other level. That and you cannot level the set of 5 at a time obviously. So you'll need to repeat the whole ordeal for the second set.

Yeah it's kind of silly because it's so easy to outlevel them if you do literally anything else, and even then they're just not great since queue times for ShB dungeons aren't terribly long for any role currently. Like they'd be great without the leveling stuff since it'd let me test run a dungeon with a new job to see how it goes and how my gear holds up. (Like when I got to 77 on my GNB without really getting any loot from the 75 dungeon.) Or even something like being able to do the first dungeon at 70 if you're going in with trusts, that'd give me something to do with those alts to get them over the first hurdle?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Level 58 and loving the hell out of this game. It's extremely my poo poo.

Glad I was told to push on.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I leveled well geared WHM first. Could keep any decent tank up through 2-pack pulls in the first shb dungeon. Started leveling my war past 70, and with ilvl 385 one pack was way too easy, but pulling 2 packs, the healer couldn't keep me up even though he said other tanks did fine. I was cycling cooldowns and all that fun stuff so don't know what was different. Holding threat is definitely easy as poo poo, but i'll probably be gun-shy about pulling more than one pack from now on. It would feel less bad if the trash wasn't so meaty in the HP department.

Tanking in trials is great since you just get to ignore most of the mechanics, much like healing.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I don't mind it in theory but they could've made it twice as fast. It takes 24 runs per dungeon to get everyone up to speed, and with no AoE each run is at least 30 min if not more. That's a lot of Holminster Switch :negative: I tried leveling entirely through Trusts and by the time I was 80 I still wasn't done leveling them through Qitana Ravel.

I know some people are sad that they've been streamlined so much but I really love it. I still have the tanxiety of messing up but there are just so many fewer things you can mess up now, having no enmity combo or stance dancing. You can play a tank as a DPS with defensive cooldowns now and it makes the barrier of entry so much lower.

Trust leveling requires 4 jobs to do efficiently: 2 dps and 2 tanks. If you're already going to be dragging everything to 80 to get your bird friend, might as well trust up 4 jobs. If you're not... Eh? All your get is a title and the 4.0 costumes for each trust npc to wear during runs.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I decided to switch from WAR to MCH once I finally got to Ishgard and I gotta say it felt pretty badass doing my leveling roulette and just knowing exactly what I needed to do an executing perfectly because a) I'd already done it as a tank and b) dps was easier and c) even level synced MCH is fun as heck.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Boogalo posted:

I leveled well geared WHM first. Could keep any decent tank up through 2-pack pulls in the first shb dungeon. Started leveling my war past 70, and with ilvl 385 one pack was way too easy, but pulling 2 packs, the healer couldn't keep me up even though he said other tanks did fine. I was cycling cooldowns and all that fun stuff so don't know what was different. Holding threat is definitely easy as poo poo, but i'll probably be gun-shy about pulling more than one pack from now on. It would feel less bad if the trash wasn't so meaty in the HP department.

Tanking in trials is great since you just get to ignore most of the mechanics, much like healing.

Getting the augmented ilvl 400 gear would definitely help, its pretty easy to farm up now. 385 isn't bad but upgrading will make a noticeable difference.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sirbloody posted:

Does anyone have a quick and dirty guide to SAM? I unlocked it last night (Main at the moment is a WHM) and I am having a hard time with how to set up my bar.

You have three combos; each which generates a Sen. 2 are 3-hit and buff you. 1 is 2-hit and provides more kenki. They all start off the same attack.

For each unique Sen you have, your Iaijutsu skill changes. 1 is a powerful, minute long dot. 2 is an AoE cone. 3 is a big single target attack.

At high levels your attacks generate your secondary resource, Kenki. This includes two positionals. Your 3rd hit on each combo will provide a bonus, Kashi from the flank and Gekko from the rear.

Kenki is spent on various oGCD abilities. Some move you, a dash in and dash out. Some are just oGCD dumps. Some are long cooldown oGCD hits, and one buffs your Iajutsu by 50%.

In general, you Kasha combo to buff your speed and get a Sen. Then Gekko combo to buff your damage and get Sen. You finish with Yukikaze. Keep the DoT on the boss, reapply if it's <10s or so. Build up to your 3-Sen Midare Setsugekka and finish with that. Always buff your Iajutsu with Kaiten, and don't use it to buff anything else.

When you have your Kenki spenders, priority is usually something like this: Kaiten (buff Iaijutsu), Guren or Senei (long CD oGCDS), Shinten or Seigen (dumps). Keep enough so you can always Kaiten or use your mobility if you need, but don't overcap.

You have a few misc cooldowns. Ikishoten generates 50 Kenki. Mediate channels for Kenki regen (in downtime) and can let you use Shoha for a free nuke. Meikyo Shisui let's you ignore combo order, so you can use your combo finishers without anything else to build Sen. Third eye is a short CD 10% defence buff. If you take damage while it's active, it lets you use Merciful Eyes (a small self heal) or Hissatsu: Seigan (a more efficient but weak Kenki hit). Tsubame-Gaeshi lets you repeat your last Iaijutsu for free (Midare-Setsukegga), with a built in Kaiten.

You have two AoE combos and an AoE oGCD as well. They generate Sen and refresh your buffs if you have them, but don't worry about them.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah it's kind of silly because it's so easy to outlevel them if you do literally anything else, and even then they're just not great since queue times for ShB dungeons aren't terribly long for any role currently. Like they'd be great without the leveling stuff since it'd let me test run a dungeon with a new job to see how it goes and how my gear holds up. (Like when I got to 77 on my GNB without really getting any loot from the 75 dungeon.) Or even something like being able to do the first dungeon at 70 if you're going in with trusts, that'd give me something to do with those alts to get them over the first hurdle?

The gearing/test aspect would be very useful indeed. And yeah if you do just 1 MSQDR and nothing else you'll still outpace them ridiculously fast.

It also seems designed to always take the same time which is ~30 minutes, even if your gear improves greatly I don't notice much change in the time it takes to complete - though I could be wrong about that and it might just be that I forget about x minute breaks I took from one run to the next. Or it might just sync you up/down to always the same ilevel, I don't remember if it does.

Harrow posted:

Just to be clear, tanking is definitely not as hard as some players make it sound, but that doesn't mean it's boring. I'm enjoying it a lot and there's a lot of room for optimizing. It's a role that's easy to learn but had plenty of room to grow into mastery, and that's pretty cool.

Tanking is the one thing in the game that used to absolutely wreck me with anxiety and I'm enjoying DRK so much this time around I look forward to queueing as a tank for some roulettes. Definitely see why some people dislike the streamlining but I am very happy about it.

TooManyUzukis posted:

Trust leveling requires 4 jobs to do efficiently: 2 dps and 2 tanks. If you're already going to be dragging everything to 80 to get your bird friend, might as well trust up 4 jobs. If you're not... Eh? All your get is a title and the 4.0 costumes for each trust npc to wear during runs.

The mount is #1 incentive for it but yeah the costumes are neat too. I'm at the 75 dungeon finally for 3/5 and that's great because I was about to lose it from so much 73 dungeon running.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 24, 2019

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I used to have terrible tanxiety in ARR, which I still don’t understand because I have always played tanks (or healers) in MMOs and done a lot of the cutting edge content in WoW so I’m not exactly new to the idea.

These days it feels way better and I love being able to wall pull because it reminds me of random dungeon dailies in WotLK and pulling the entire first half of Drak’Tharon heroic, including the boss, to the second boss in full ICC gear. :v:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

DrNutt posted:

I decided to switch from WAR to MCH once I finally got to Ishgard and I gotta say it felt pretty badass doing my leveling roulette and just knowing exactly what I needed to do an executing perfectly because a) I'd already done it as a tank and b) dps was easier and c) even level synced MCH is fun as heck.

MCH is so much better now it might end up displacing MNK as my main, because MNK, while fun, is so fiddly. Why does every attack have to have a positional potency buff? It can really tank your DPS when trying to survive raid mechanics.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

edit: unless the magic dps role quest shits itself in the later half all the role questlines were good except tank which was boring so as usual tanks get the shaft on quest storylines

i just did the tank role quests last night and it was leaps and bounds ahead of the boring phys dps quests :thunk:

but also i'm a whore for depressed warriors, so

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:

Kaubocks posted:

i just did the tank role quests last night and it was leaps and bounds ahead of the boring phys dps quests :thunk:

All the storylines are pretty ehh but Giott and Lou-Reeq carry those two quest lines hard. Tank bro was just ok.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've messed a bit more with Nvidia Freestyle and I'd say the upside is that it's very easy to use but the downside is a pretty hefty framerate hit and the fact that the changes only show up in screenshots if you use Shadowplay to take said screenshots

here's my first attempt at making the game less desaturated (open in separate tabs to compare more easily):

might have gone a bit overboard but it still makes it very apparent how weirdly desatured the game is by default.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sirbloody posted:

Does anyone have a quick and dirty guide to SAM? I unlocked it last night (Main at the moment is a WHM) and I am having a hard time with how to set up my bar.

For samurai, I have my hotbar set up in combos. Well, any class that uses combos.

Since that looks like a bunch of gobbledygook I'll layout the combos. Also keep in mind that this probably isn't the most optimized perfect layout for the keyboard and there's probably better out there on reddit or the main forums but it works for me.

Q > E > R
Q > 1
Q > 2 > 3

Those are all sen combos.

6 > F is my Kaiten to Iaijutsu combo. 5 is the new ShB ability that repeats the last Iaijutsu.

For bosses 7 > 1 > 4 > R which allows me to bypass the combos and fill up my sen to do a powerful Iaijutsu right off the bat.

8 > 9 > 0 is my AoE combo. I might move that elsewhere but basically I try to keep all the combo abilities right next to each other so they're easier to do. Abilities I use often I put next to my combos and ones I don't use often, or are on long cooldowns, I put far off and just manually click - like the ones next to the potion and aether compass icons (which I forgot to remove). I imagine this class is lots easier with a controller, but I haven't tried.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 24, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hunter Noventa posted:

MCH is so much better now it might end up displacing MNK as my main, because MNK, while fun, is so fiddly. Why does every attack have to have a positional potency buff? It can really tank your DPS when trying to survive raid mechanics.

It's my first time trying out a ranged dps class and I really enjoyed following the tank around and unloading spread shot into everything like I was Elliot Ness with a Tommy gun or something.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jimbot posted:

For bosses my first order of business is 7 > 1 > 4 > R which allows me to bypass the combos and fill up my sen to do a powerful Iaijutsu right off the bat.

I'm going to advise against this from an optimisation standpoint. It's better to normally do at least your first two combos to get your self buffs up quicker. They're 15% at level 80, which is a lot of speed and DMG up.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm going to advise against this from an optimisation standpoint. It's better to normally do at least your first two combos to get your self buffs up quicker. They're 15% at level 80, which is a lot of speed and DMG up.

Yeah, I shouldn't have worded it that way. I didn't get indepth with the buffs and stuff, just quick n dirty combo placements on the keyboard. But I do build up those buffs before hitting Meikyo. I do miss Hagakure, though. Helped me reset my sen between raid bosses to maximize DPS but what was gained from its loss was worth it, in my opinion. Well, except Shoha. That ability's trash.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, I shouldn't have worded it that way. I didn't get indepth with the buffs and stuff, just quick n dirty combo placements on the keyboard. But I do build up those buffs before hitting Meikyo. I do miss Hagakure, though. Helped me reset my sen between raid bosses to maximize DPS but what was gained from its loss was worth it, in my opinion. Well, except Shoha. That ability's trash.

Makes sense.

And yeah. I like Ikishoten enough but it's just weird not having Hagakure to reset on bosses and between phases.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
PSA: Don't forget to level up all your alt classes before eden savage comes out and the like 4 goons who raid, who also have officer status, take away heat of battle for meat and mead and back on your feet FC buffs.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Leal posted:

PSA: Don't forget to level up all your alt classes before eden savage comes out and the like 4 goons who raid, who also have officer status, take away heat of battle for meat and mead and back on your feet FC buffs.

drat right they will

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The evil goon raider cabal. 😢 😢 😢

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Splinter the guild, sign the fishing pacts.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Harrow posted:

The one nice thing about this is that the novels and other printed material have apparently tried to integrate the blood elves with the Horde after the fact, going by what I've seen on wikis. For example, there's at least one story where it turns out blood elves love getting blind drunk with orcs after being part of the Horde for so long. I wish they showed that kind of odd couple friendship in the game.

This is another extremely dumb thing about WOW - the majority of the story doesn't even take place in the game. Gotta buy a bunch of lovely paperbacks if you want to find out what's actually happening!

Imagine if Shadowbringers started with just a portal somewhere in Mor Dhona, and you go through it and you start doing side quests in Norvrandt. You don't meet the Crystal Exarch until like level 78, and even then he only has a couple lines of dialogue to explain why you're here. The other Scions? Same deal, just a couple lines of exposition and a few quests to gather rosebear asses.

But! There's a whole line of tie-in novels about every major character! Buy them now to find out what the gently caress is actually going on! They're also incredibly poorly written!!!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Fister Roboto posted:

This is another extremely dumb thing about WOW - the majority of the story doesn't even take place in the game. Gotta buy a bunch of lovely paperbacks if you want to find out what's actually happening!

Imagine if Shadowbringers started with just a portal somewhere in Mor Dhona, and you go through it and you start doing side quests in Norvrandt. You don't meet the Crystal Exarch until like level 78, and even then he only has a couple lines of dialogue to explain why you're here. The other Scions? Same deal, just a couple lines of exposition and a few quests to gather rosebear asses.

But! There's a whole line of tie-in novels about every major character! Buy them now to find out what the gently caress is actually going on! They're also incredibly poorly written!!!

I’m upset at how accurate this is.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Weltnarok posted:

Literally ran out of ogcds to keep the tank alive because the DPS also weren't AOEing. It was the first dungeon run I've ever experienced. They also tried to tell me not to holy.

I knew in my heart this was the answer. I was really hoping it was like Copperbell where you didn't have OGCDs or Holy or something.

I don't know how far in you got kicked, but it sounds like they did you a favor.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Fister Roboto posted:

SE's been doing the same thing a little bit. Ever wonder what happened to Fordola?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

My favorite thing about modern WoW lore is that they released a lorebook series like 14 did in order to 'set the record straight' and such. And the first book was decent, gave some good cosmology background for the world and then the second and third ones came out and retconned the first as well as each other, making it an active detriment to your knowledge of the setting for owning the first one.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CuddlyZombie posted:

I’m upset at how accurate this is.

Also imagine if every time Eldibius showed up he was given a loving, pre-rendered, fully voiced cutscene. But the post expansion boss cutscene was just the boss doing <death_animation> while you look on gormlessly, maybe if an animator is feeling bold they'll have you punch your palm.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Flavahbeast posted:

SE's been doing the same thing a little bit. Ever wonder what happened to Fordola?

Side characters are one thing, which while not ideal, is still better than having the entire Doma arc done offscreen.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TooManyUzukis posted:

Do you mean have 1 job you do the MSQ on and get to 80 and then 4 other jobs to level 70-80 in the trust system?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can get an update on Fordola in the 80 SMN quest.

She’s right where you left her: Doing pushups in a cell while Raubahn sometimes lets her out to fight primals.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Flavahbeast posted:

You can find out in game if you level Summoner. You aren’t missing anything by not reading short stories.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kaubocks posted:

it was just boring women dying for a man's pathos poo poo mostly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

You can find out in game if you level Summoner. You aren’t missing anything by not reading short stories.

Also short stories that they host for free on their website is way different from lovely pulp novels that you have to pay money for.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The hardest part of learning to tank was realizing that I needed to memorize the routes for dungeons like Tam-Tara and Haukke because that's the tank's job.

I've also gotten real good at tanking AV.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fister Roboto posted:

Also short stories that they host for free on their website is way different from lovely pulp novels that you have to pay money for.

Also one doesn’t involve for example the entire premise of an expansion not being explained anywhere in game

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't generally do this, but I had an impulse to look at them closer.

Are graphs like this from ACT or something similar? Are there any good/recent import strings to make it look nice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, tanking also used to be way less fun. ShB tanking handles aggro in such an intuitive and simple way it makes old tanking seem extra dumb.