Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, see, the mirror E is clever because something something Picard/Shinzon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Just to support my credibility I also watched Insurrection on Sunday and it's still terrible poo poo. FWIW

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Croatoan posted:

Just to support my credibility I also watched Insurrection on Sunday and it's still terrible poo poo. FWIW
I’d watch that before I rewatch Nemesis and Insurrection is incredibly boring

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If you're not watching Insurrection with the Sirtis/Frakes commentary track you're just punishing yourself.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Angry_Ed posted:

If you're not watching Insurrection with the Sirtis/Frakes commentary track you're just punishing yourself.

Holy poo poo I'm 20 minutes in and this is great. They're alternating between praising and dunking on the whole thing including Frakes' directing. Thanks for this.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Croatoan posted:

Holy poo poo I'm 20 minutes in and this is great. They're alternating between praising and dunking on the whole thing including Frakes' directing. Thanks for this.

I've owned the TNG movie blu ray set for a couple of years now and still haven't played these. That'll be a treat.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm streaming the movie but I was able to find the commentary track on YouTube and it was easy enough to sync. Pausing is gonna be tricky though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Picard show is going to be jam packed with Voyager and of course TNG callbacks and characters, maybe even some TOS and ENT stuff, perhaps some DISCO references. It will not have DS9 references, in fact it will seemingly go out of its way to imply DS9 didn't exist and is not "canon".

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Baronjutter posted:

Picard show is going to be jam packed with Voyager and of course TNG callbacks and characters, maybe even some TOS and ENT stuff, perhaps some DISCO references. It will not have DS9 references, in fact it will seemingly go out of its way to imply DS9 didn't exist and is not "canon".

The entire series takes place in the alternate timeline from the DS9 episode "The Visitor."

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Missing DW-Link posted:

Damming evidence, this.

Dear lord it really is. The mirrored E is fine because of the plot (I mean it would be if the plot hadn't sucked), but I wasn't sure if that second R was actually reversed so I had to look it up.

Welp:ughh:

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 24, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
More like Star Trek Emesis, am I right?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

:gowron:

We need an emote that's just barf.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Star Trek: Near Misses

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

:gowron:

We need an emote that's just barf.

:barf:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Bloop posted:

Star Trek: Near Misses

Star Trek: Nah, Miss This

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

No I mean just the barf, so I could for example make gowron barf so hard that his eyes pop out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Barf is a Mog, not a Mogh

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Data's memories were loaded into a holoprogram, but the program is fading or corrupting or whatever. He looks fat and weird because of data (lol) corruption, and "I don't want the game to end" is because each time Picard ends the program might be the last time it's stable enough to run again.

That's very cyberpunk

MikeJF posted:

Nuff said.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jewel Repetition posted:

That's very cyberpunk

Is it though? Holoprogram shenanigans are nothing new, and Spiner already confirmed 1) the disassembled body is B4, 2) Data is dead, and 3) Data appears in "some other way."

It's the perfect way to get some Spiner in and out of a few episodes without any extra baggage.

Calling it right now that the season ends with Picard finishing the card game and shutting down the Data program for the last time.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
The disassembled one looks like there's some damage on the back. Not to mention the weird thing with part of an arm being attached that someone else mentioned.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Is it though? Holoprogram shenanigans are nothing new, and Spiner already confirmed 1) the disassembled body is B4, 2) Data is dead, and 3) Data appears in "some other way."

It's the perfect way to get some Spiner in and out of a few episodes without any extra baggage.

Calling it right now that the season ends with Picard finishing the card game and shutting down the Data program for the last time.

it’s a dream sequence and at the end Picard starts making out with Data, hard. Then we hear an alarm start beeping and Picard wakes up only to discover that he was making out with the doggie the whole time! The dog winks at the camera and the scene irises out to credits.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Man, I finally finished (I'm at work, I got busy) Insurrection with the commentary. It was great but dies out mostly after the first half. I then tried First Contact but it just has Frakes and is incredibly boring. Any others y'all would suggest?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Croatoan posted:

Man, I finally finished (I'm at work, I got busy) Insurrection with the commentary. It was great but dies out mostly after the first half. I then tried First Contact but it just has Frakes and is incredibly boring. Any others y'all would suggest?

Rifftrax doing Star Trek V.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

STAR TЯEK 'Я' US

someone thought they were being really clever with their fonts

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

what the hell is this. 120 people are piloting a spaceship the size of the death star? they need flying worker bee spaceships inside their spaceship? this all takes place 100 years BEFORE the other shows???

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

piratepilates posted:

what the hell is this. 120 people are piloting a spaceship the size of the death star? they need flying worker bee spaceships inside their spaceship? this all takes place 100 years BEFORE the other shows???

It is insane ridiculous bullshit

Like, visually it is super jazzy and keen and all but it's right up there with deck 99 or whatever in STV as far as respecting its audience

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

What would be the best possible TNG call back to insert into a modern prestige drama? I have a couple ideas:

- A group of Edo bounty hunters track down old Wesley so that he can finally be executed for his crimes.

- Armus escapes from his Section 31 cage and starts terrorizing the Federation

- The Game: Part 2 is officially announced at Space Comic Con

- something, something outrageous Okana. Is he still outrageous!?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

This is actually my preferred scenario. Not because I don't like deep space nine, but because I do.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Bloop posted:

It is insane ridiculous bullshit

Like, visually it is super jazzy and keen and all but it's right up there with deck 99 or whatever in STV as far as respecting its audience

Even worse, you can’t even just write it off as “looks cool, but isn’t supposed to make sense” visual stylization because they purposely show off a new hallway that has a giant window in the ceiling to showcase this gigantic empty turbolift void inside the ship.

It’s aggressively dumb.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Oh! The girl Picard has to protect is Clara from the imaginary friend episode!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bucswabe posted:

What would be the best possible TNG call back to insert into a modern prestige drama? I have a couple ideas:

- A group of Edo bounty hunters track down old Wesley so that he can finally be executed for his crimes.

Moriarty breaks out of the computer into a mobile emitter, then gets Tom Riker out of a Cardassian prison camp and together with Ro Laren and together they form the new Maquis.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I want to see someone attempt a Pakled story in 2019 :yikes:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You're in luck, that is the next chapter of my Power Rangers/TNG fanfic and in fact the Pakled have teamed up with Armus

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bucswabe posted:

I know some people were wondering if they would follow up on the ‘Conspiracy’ parasites

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want to see someone attempt a Pakled story in 2019 :yikes:

Pakleds aren't actually dumb fucks, they're just very good scammers, and playing on sympathy is the trick that works on federation idiots.

The episode doesn't make sense any other way.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bucswabe posted:

- Armus escapes from his Section 31 cage

I hate this! It is revolting!

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Pakleds aren't actually dumb fucks, they're just very good scammers, and playing on sympathy is the trick that works on federation idiots.

The episode doesn't make sense any other way.

There is a very favourable risk/reward calculation for attempting to gently caress over Starfleet. At best you get to capture a state-of-the-art spaceship, and maybe a crew that can be sold into slavery or whatever. At worse, you get let off the hook with a stern lecture.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Voyager is the perfect background Trek show. I'm up to season 5 in DS9 and it feels like I need to savor every episode with my full attention. With Voyager I can throw on any old episode and half-watch whatever stupid poo poo they're up to this week.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
William Shatner is a dumbass and Kirk should have died off camera just to piss him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Can someone give me a minimal list of STD episodes to watch to get a full sense of the show (good and bad). Everything I've seen looks just so awful and I feel like I need to actually see some of it first hand, but I don't want to watch a full 2 seasons of it.