Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Campbell posted:

Are graphs like this from ACT or something similar? Are there any good/recent import strings to make it look nice?

That's a screenshot from the FFLogs site once it's combed through an upload. If you're uploading your stuff there, they already make everything nice and pretty for you, with tons of ways to break down your log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Do you mean have 1 job you do the MSQ on and get to 80 and then 4 other jobs to level 70-80 in the trust system?

Yes, basically. I honestly think trusts are only worth it if you:

1) Want to level at least 2 extra classes, three extra preferred
2) Would benefit from queue-less, hyper-consistent dungeon runs that you can step away from at any time
3) You absolutely need a no-stress zone to practice playing your job in a realistic dungeon scenario

I say this having just finished getting all the trusts to 80 last night. I needed to be able to run dungeons and step away at any moment without feeling like I was inconveniencing anyone, so I just decided to go for it. I think the system's good, but unless you really benefit from what it offers there's no reason to go ham on leveling everyone.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

My only gripe is that AA comes up for me like 5x as often as the others but it's a good dungeon so I don't mind

i keep getting the twinning, which isn't a complaint at all because it's the best dungeon ffxiv has ever had

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I did Holminister Switch last night cause I needed like 4m more exp on my DRK to hit 80 and didn't want to do FATEs or level up halfway through the level 79 dungeon, and figured I could benefit from getting my NPCs some exp.

What I'm saying is it's a nice space filler.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fister Roboto posted:

This is another extremely dumb thing about WOW - the majority of the story doesn't even take place in the game. Gotta buy a bunch of lovely paperbacks if you want to find out what's actually happening!

Imagine if Shadowbringers started with just a portal somewhere in Mor Dhona, and you go through it and you start doing side quests in Norvrandt. You don't meet the Crystal Exarch until like level 78, and even then he only has a couple lines of dialogue to explain why you're here. The other Scions? Same deal, just a couple lines of exposition and a few quests to gather rosebear asses.

But! There's a whole line of tie-in novels about every major character! Buy them now to find out what the gently caress is actually going on! They're also incredibly poorly written!!!

That was the thing that was always loving awful in WoW and FFXIV did amazingly well: in WoW you were just some faceless nameless mook who has no impact on the greater story and whom nobody ever really acknowledges because Chris Metzen's characters are basically the equivalent of that D&D Dungeon Master you know who makes NPCs who exist solely to tell you about how awesome they are and how much better they are at everything than you are. Even in the raids where you do kill the big bad, it's never really acknowledged or someone else swoops in and takes the credit.

Meanwhile in FFXIV, while having that specifically guided story quest can cause some headaches (especially if you're catching up now, hello 100 story quests between the end of 2.0 and the start of 3.0), it actually establishes your character as being necessary and needed in the story and everyone acknowledges that you are an MMO JRPG protagonist are a professional murderhobo without peer who's saved everyone from multiple disasters. Yeah, there are other massively powerful characters around, but the developers didn't need to make them do everything and even they acknowledge that you do most of the heavy lifting. They didn't feel the need to make Heavensward end with "And then Raubahn showed up and killed all the bad guys. The end. No moral" or something to that matter.

It makes a big difference in my engagement in the story when it actively happens to me instead of having to read the story after the fact in the form of a poorly written series of books.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 24, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh, tanking also used to be way less fun. ShB tanking handles aggro in such an intuitive and simple way it makes old tanking seem extra dumb.

I’m glad I don’t need to throttle my DPS to avoid stealing aggro from the poor, downtrodden Paladin anymore

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m disconnecting a lot recently - the ps4 says lost connection but everything still works fine and I have to log back in. This hasn’t happened at all before this, are servers being funny ?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

it was just boring women dying for a man's pathos poo poo mostly.

this is a totally legit takeaway. it didn't bother me, and i can't place my finger on why because i often do roll my eyes at this kind of cliche, but i get why it wouldn't fly for most.

either way i still found it more compelling than the annoying phys dps guy and the uninteresting tale of renda-rae

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kaubocks posted:

this is a totally legit takeaway. it didn't bother me, and i can't place my finger on why because i often do roll my eyes at this kind of cliche, but i get why it wouldn't fly for most.

either way i still found it more compelling than the annoying phys dps guy and the uninteresting tale of renda-rae

It’s probably the fact that the moral of the tank story is that “having empathy, humanity, and the ability to shed a tear for the plight of your fellow man is cool and good and way better than being 90s Batman”

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

it was just boring women dying for a man's pathos poo poo mostly.

yeah the whole thing about the former warriors of light/warriors of darkness is that up until poo poo went south they were a pretty generic fantasy party doing generic fantasy party quests and part of that involved playing a bunch of tropes straight, which is a bit dull when you've probably seen them a million times before. That's why their plight comes off as unfair - they did everything right, and played the heroes admirably

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It’s probably the fact that the moral of the tank story is that “having empathy, humanity, and the ability to shed a tear for the plight of your fellow man is cool and good and way better than being 90s Batman”

You take that back. It's not his fault that 90's batman couldn't turn his head from side to side and had to turn his shoulders to look around like he was a muppet. That's just how the costume designers made the suit.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

When I think 90s batman I think of the animated series and I was about to be like 'Wait 90s Batman was cool!'

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Campbell posted:

Are graphs like this from ACT or something similar? Are there any good/recent import strings to make it look nice?

Kinda. Check out https://www.fflogs.com/ ACT parses can be uploaded to that site, and they break it down into a ton of great information.

You can get info on what your actual activity uptime is, what your buff or dot uptimes are, visually see how raid buffs match up, etc.

Getting a dps parse rating is like the least interesting thing the site provides.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gorelab posted:

When I think 90s batman I think of the animated series and I was about to be like 'Wait 90s Batman was cool!'

Yeah I’m talking 90s comicbook Batman when he was at the height of his paranoid rear end in a top hat Batman self.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Campbell posted:

That one is from uploading logs to FFLogs, though if you want to make your ACT overlay nice and pretty use this https://github.com/hibiyasleep/kagerou

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

You take that back. It's not his fault that 90's batman couldn't turn his head from side to side and had to turn his shoulders to look around like he was a muppet. That's just how the costume designers made the suit.

this is how hrothgar turn in cutscenes :negative:

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I have completed the meme.

WHY IS PURE WHITE DYE SO EXPENSIVE :argh:

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 25, 2019

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So are there any guesses as to what we might see in the 5.05 as far as class balance goes? I'm guessing we probably won't see any major, decisive changes until 5.1 when the hardcore crowd has cut their teeth on Eden savage, but I'm guessing we might see a couple of small tweaks akin to the AST/SCH changes in 5.01. I'm guessing we might see minor tweaks to NIN and SUM, and AST potencies since it seems like those are the classes having the hardest times right now.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 24, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm not actually sure how they got that many flares without umbral hearts so it's impressive at all levels.

The new GCD that does nothing but refresh your umbral stacks also grants a single thing, and probably won't show up on logs since it doesn't do damage.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

So are there any guesses as to what we might see in the 5.05 as far as class balance goes? I'm guessing we probably won't see any major, decisive changes until 5.1 when the hardcore crowd has cut their teeth on savage, but I'm guessing we might see a couple of small tweaks akin to the AST/SCH changes in 5.01. I'm guessing we might see minor tweaks to NIN and SUM, and AST potencies since it seems like those are the classes having the hardest times right now.

really hoping they look at ast, Divination in particular has no reason to require work put into it, have a three minute cooldown, and have a weak effect all at once.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

So are there any guesses as to what we might see in the 5.05 as far as class balance goes? I'm guessing we probably won't see any major, decisive changes until 5.1 when the hardcore crowd has cut their teeth on Eden savage, but I'm guessing we might see a couple of small tweaks akin to the AST/SCH changes in 5.01. I'm guessing we might see minor tweaks to NIN and SUM, and AST potencies since it seems like those are the classes having the hardest times right now.

I'm praying that AST will get some decent potency changes and that SCH might get the ability to cast their pet abilities midcast in the same way that they used to (I doubt it). Making aetherflow less clunky and usable out of combat would be nice too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

This is another extremely dumb thing about WOW - the majority of the story doesn't even take place in the game. Gotta buy a bunch of lovely paperbacks if you want to find out what's actually happening!

Imagine if Shadowbringers started with just a portal somewhere in Mor Dhona, and you go through it and you start doing side quests in Norvrandt. You don't meet the Crystal Exarch until like level 78, and even then he only has a couple lines of dialogue to explain why you're here. The other Scions? Same deal, just a couple lines of exposition and a few quests to gather rosebear asses.

But! There's a whole line of tie-in novels about every major character! Buy them now to find out what the gently caress is actually going on! They're also incredibly poorly written!!!

One of the other big differences is how WoW and FFXIV pace their stories.

In FFXIV, an expansion is going to launch with a complete story. Shadowbringers had a beginning, middle, and very satisfying end, with just enough lose ends to fuel patch stories before the lead up to the next expansion. Raids tell side stories that are mostly self contained, though sometimes have connections to the main story at some point. Guild Wars 2 works the same way, though its actual writing is much less successful than FFXIV's on every level.

In WoW, the expansion will not launch with a full story. You're not getting any resolution on plots you may or may not care about through the leveling process. Instead, it's mostly setup for the real plot, which comes in installments with each major content patch and is usually tied to the raids. It's a fundamentally different way to tell a story and I personally think it's a lot less satisfying and fun. Even ignoring the difference in how the story is delivered (FFXIV's cutscenes and focus on characters vs. WoW's tendency to blaze through things in quest text with the occasional big cinematic), the way FFXIV delivers a full, coherent story with each expansion is fantastic.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

TooManyUzukis posted:

3) You absolutely need a no-stress zone to practice playing your job in a realistic dungeon scenario

Trusts are nothing like a realistic dungeon scenario. All of your party members know how to do the mechanics correctly.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Also in the story of FFXIV there are no creator self-inserts who get to do all the cool poo poo in cutscenes while your character watches. loving And Justice for Thrall jesus christ it's been four years and turns out I'm still mad.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

Yeah its really easy to lose track of where things are in relation to each other in FF14, unless you really pay attention to maps and poo poo. Even just remembering what zones connect where doesn't help cause sometimes there are loving miles and miles separating them when you cross the zone line. It doesn't feel much like a world, which like maybe its a generational thing but that used to be what MMOs were about and that's still the WoW mentality

I'm guessing there are a lot of people that didn't get it when they reveal the world map in Shadowbringers, for that reason

Most (all?) of the 2.0 eorzean maps outside limsa/continent split, obviously, are connected more or less directly and i thought that was really neat and was sad when HW stopped doing that

Veib posted:

Also in the story of FFXIV there are no creator self-inserts who get to do all the cool poo poo in cutscenes while your character watches. loving And Justice for Thrall jesus christ it's been four years and turns out I'm still mad.

DRK 30-50 is definitely a self-insert.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Veib posted:

And the one self-insert that is there is extremely loving explicit and is just there to say "haha thats sick, but what if instead of two airships crashing into you there were like 12??"

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Captain Oblivious posted:

I really liked the line in the tank role quest that made this explicit, it's one of the times that FF14s theatrical dialogue style has really hit the mark for me. Specifically:

Do you not see? Branden was right to hesitate. To doubt. The unwavering blade cares not whom it serves nor who it cuts.

It's rare that video games in general and Final Fantasy in particular make impassioned Shakespearean pleas about the dangers of moral certitude, and land them.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 24, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Harrow posted:

In WoW, the expansion will not launch with a full story. You're not getting any resolution on plots you may or may not care about through the leveling process. Instead, it's mostly setup for the real plot, which comes in installments with each major content patch and is usually tied to the raids. It's a fundamentally different way to tell a story and I personally think it's a lot less satisfying and fun. Even ignoring the difference in how the story is delivered (FFXIV's cutscenes and focus on characters vs. WoW's tendency to blaze through things in quest text with the occasional big cinematic), the way FFXIV delivers a full, coherent story with each expansion is fantastic.

The Lore thread was talking about this earlier this week, how while there are a few zones in BfA that have strong coherent plots, stormsong valley has one strong plot that only takes up 1/3rd of the zone. the other 2/3rds involves the faction war which literally comes out of nowhere and has no impact on the overarching plot other than portraying the Horde as literal civilian eating monsters.

And there's a portion once you hit 80 where the plot just stops until you grind rep high enough to proceed.

Veib posted:

Even the name of that quest is infuriating. They knew exactly what they were doing.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

homeless snail posted:

And the one self-insert that is there is extremely loving explicit and is just there to say "haha thats sick, but what if instead of two airships crashing into you there were like 12??"

There's at least one more self-insert. If you ever want to know about Vierra breeding habbits, go talk to the big man himself, Yasumi Matsuno, the Wandering Dramaturge.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Truga posted:

Most (all?) of the 2.0 eorzean maps outside limsa/continent split, obviously, are connected more or less directly and i thought that was really neat and was sad when HW stopped doing that
I think a large part of that is that Heavensward and onward have maps that would likely have been split up in multiples if they were in 2.0. Like, say, Western Highlands could have been divided to Falcon's Nest, Red Rim, and Riversmeet up to the Black Iron Bridge, then northern Riversmeet with the Gorgagne Holding and the North Star, and finally the western area with the Convictory and the Twinpools (Ashpool and Banepool). If they'd gone that fashion they'd probably have broken up the terrain a bit more and added an aetheryte in the hypothetical northeast map (I'd think Hemlock as another hardscrabble living town), but that's the kind of thing I see when I really look at expansion zones and how they tend to have some kinds of minor featured area within area themes.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I tried Samurai on a whim during some morning beast tribe quests and holy god I think it's time to drop Summoner for now. I feel leagues more capable now that it doesn't take an eternity to kill enemies between cast times and cooldowns.

Is this pretty much the difference between physical melee DPS and ranged magic DPS, or do Bards/Dancers deal with that too? I forgot how much I missed just being able to move around, Gilgamesh and the hard dungeon I rouletted into were nothing and getting hit barely mattered.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

The Lore thread was talking about this earlier this week, how while there are a few zones in BfA that have strong coherent plots, stormsong valley has one strong plot that only takes up 1/3rd of the zone. the other 2/3rds involves the faction war which literally comes out of nowhere and has no impact on the overarching plot other than portraying the Horde as literal civilian eating monsters.

I will say that WoW can sometimes do a pretty good job of having coherent stories within a specif ic zone, but they basically never do anything to advance the metaplot until content patches and raids. It's telling that I think of it as a metaplot in the first place, really. FFXIV just straight up has a plot and tells a real story in the game. WoW has a metaplot that you could be forgiven for knowing almost nothing about by playing the game and that your character has no consistent role in.

And yeah, the way BfA has handled the faction war is comically bad, especially the straight up repeat of Garrosh but even more evil I guess. It's hard for me to play a game that has a story without at least trying to get invested in it and drat does WoW make that impossible. Good thing it's also bad for other reasons so it's not like I'm missing out.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

On the WoW vs. FFXIV thing, WoW has always said that story comes second to design. The lead devs come up with the fights they want, the themes and zones they want, and then send it off to the writers to come up with something that will tie all of that together. The gameplay leads the story. In FFXIV it's very obvious that they either write the story first or develop story and gameplay together so that they're cohesive.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Squidtentacle posted:

Is this pretty much the difference between physical melee DPS and ranged magic DPS, or do Bards/Dancers deal with that too? I forgot how much I missed just being able to move around, Gilgamesh and the hard dungeon I rouletted into were nothing and getting hit barely mattered.

Ranged DPS are incredibly mobile, even more than melee really since no positionals or anything like that. The biggest difference between casters and ranged is ranged has no cast times.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Gumball Gumption posted:

On the WoW vs. FFXIV thing, WoW has always said that story comes second to design. The lead devs come up with the fights they want, the themes and zones they want, and then send it off to the writers to come up with something that will tie all of that together. The gameplay leads the story. In FFXIV it's very obvious that they either write the story first or develop story and gameplay together so that they're cohesive.

Yeah and even though the lead scenario writer has changed over time the general plot through 5.0 and the lore defining the world was set down during the development of ARR so there are plotlines they've been able to hint at for years thanks to that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Veib posted:

The closest we get to this is Estinien, who repeatedly shows up out of the blue to do Big Hero stuff, but thankfully this is always in the context of aiding the WoL from the sidelines rather than stealing your thunder.

The yoship and Matsuno self inserts are there but fully irrelevant to the overall story, and in WM's case a funny way of explaining why the extreme fights exist.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I was looking at the first Encyclopedia Eorzea yesterday and its obvious that even if they didn't know everything that was happening in Shadowbringers they already had the big lore beats figured out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There's at least one more self-insert. If you ever want to know about Vierra breeding habbits, go talk to the big man himself, Yasumi Matsuno, the Wandering Dramaturge.

Who and where is this? I don’t remember anyone like that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Truga posted:

Eh, there are definitely places that do connect, I especially like in Upper/Outer La Noscea where you can walk almost all the way around Wanderer's Palace and its this big oppressive landmark over a zone and a half. But the majority of zone lines involve lots of offscreen travel, you can see it especially in the shroud and in Thanalan where there's a hint of desert or encroaching forest at the zone line and then you cross it and are in basically a totally different environment because they've excised the boring in between parts

Even getting in and out of the cities has a lot compressed, I remember in 1.0 where just leaving Uldah meant walking for like 5 minutes through a bunch of boring gatehouses

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Who and where is this? I don’t remember anyone like that.
In the Ivalice quests, he's on board the Prima Vista

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thundarr posted:

The closest we get to this is Estinien, who repeatedly shows up out of the blue to do Big Hero stuff, but thankfully this is always in the context of aiding the WoL from the sidelines rather than stealing your thunder.

The yoship and Matsuno self inserts are there but fully irrelevant to the overall story, and in WM's case a funny way of explaining why the extreme fights exist.

Unless you're a Dragoon because even though you've kicked his rear end like 6 times he still does much cooler Dragoon stuff than you do.