Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Where the gently caress do I get the Grass Fibre I need to build Bab's bed on the second story island. (The mining one.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
If you did the exploration islands before going there you'd have an infinite supply I think?

If not you can get fibre from the underground lake. And the oasis on the surface.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Spacedad posted:

Where the gently caress do I get the Grass Fibre I need to build Bab's bed on the second story island. (The mining one.)

Check the Oasis

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I'm kind of disappointed that (post chapter 3) the Dragonlord's Throne from the bonus DLC doesn't count toward making a throne room by itself, but at least you can hide a "real" one behind the wall it's up against with a 1-block air gap at the bottom and make the room work.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

AFashionableHat posted:

I finished the main plot of DQB2 last night and I would seriously inconvenience an adorable puppy to get DQB3 on PC where a small army of dedicated modders could turn this thing upside down.

It's so close to great (who was expecting a fun story on this one?) and really its only flaw is being tied to this static sandbox. I'd pay money to pay DQ4 or DQ5 right in this engine, or to have procedurally generated towns and cities to gradually open up more and more of the game.

Also I hate that stupid thing the second island's villagers made me build. It's tacky like everything on their island.

Does Buildertopia scratch a itch for you? You get access to it in the postgame but it's a randomly generated island of any size of your choice to play with using any biomes you've unlocked (the little side islands).

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Does Buildertopia scratch a itch for you? You get access to it in the postgame but it's a randomly generated island of any size of your choice to play with using any biomes you've unlocked (the little side islands).

Buildertopia is really good and like, I'm not complaining about what we got. But yea if it had full mod support like Minecraft or The Sims I would never play anything else.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The features that they're not telling you are in DQ11 S is allies joining in at serious moments*:

Vince Vanquish will occasionally join you in battle if you're around Octagonia

Queen Marina will offer aid when fighting in the sea.

Krystalinda summons blizzards to assist you around Sniffleheim.

Sandy will headbutt enemies that come after you around Cobblestone.

King Irwin will join your party when you rescue him, the thought of being with his wife losing out against adventuring with his son and keeping him safe, personally before he finally rests.

*Every one of these is a lie I made up

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Anyone know how the selling of items works with the shop? Do I put 1 item in the price tag thing and then a ton of extra in a box and let the merchant restock? Will they restock? I've managed to sell one thing but I have no idea what criteria makes for a good shop. My current one is gold walls and 4 stars, but my villagers are too busy farming and bathing and swimming that they rarely visit the shop. Are there certain items that sell? All I've sold so far is an old book.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Saxophone posted:

If you're talking about the pyramid, apparently a couple of the blocks used to form corners in the interior walls don't count as blocks for the making of rooms. So if you're using the existing pyramid wall as one of your walls, you need to run behind it and tear out the corner blocks.

I had a similar issue and through dumb luck had just been watching a YouTube video on building in the pyramid for ideas and they mentioned it.

Also also, what's everyone's opinions on building your rooms with roofs, as opposed to just sticking with the traditional open top?

Roofs on everything, except one big open space room that I use when I'm in a hurry usually.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't know because I only looked at it for a second. I generated an island and immediately got vapor-locked. It's a neat idea but the game prepared me for so long to have minimal personal creativity that being dumped in didn't do much for me. Also the whole password thing threw me; it wasn't obvious whether I could pull up an old map based on having that password or whether it gets disposed of when I generate a new one. I feel like they'd benefit from something like Radiant quests, applied to building. (If that exists, I'm gonna be over here all shocked.)

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Man, by the time I get this rarest colored cat it's going to be so inbred.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
They come in colours? :swoon:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

How do you do get new colours?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
edit: this is not the thread i thought.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 24, 2019

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I might be in the minority, but Moonbrooke Island is really cool thus far. I might be changing my tune, though because I have a feeling that they want to pin Malroth as the traitor and this underground cell I’m building isn’t for the actual traitor, just him.

And he’s mad at me because I used Ra’s mirror on him. The game didn’t give me any other choice, bro. I’m sorry :(

Edit: gently caress this castle. Have fun fighting the monsters on your own, y’all. I’ll be down here eating potatoes.

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 24, 2019

pink flag
May 16, 2009
Not being able to (post-story spoilers) tame all the monsters or save your Malhalla buddies is disappointing and something I hope to see in 3 or DLC. At least we can recruit Jules though hell yeah

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The 2D mode on that DQ XI S looks good. I've heard that it was implemented on the 3DS also. Am I gonna miss out on anything major if I play the entire game in that mode?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm looking forward to XI on the Switch, apart from some concerns about performance. I've been burned on that before with the Switch which is, let's be honest, very modestly powered compared to its contemporaries, so part of me thinks that I should just wait to buy it a bit after release when I will have seen some (hopefully) reassuring footage that it's technically competent. I know that this might seem paranoid, but people in this very thread have mentioned that the Switch port of DQB2 chugs sometimes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm just gonna play it all in 16-bit mode.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

How do you do get new colours?

Get two cats or dogs. Get their happiness up to 100, feed them both moreberries, then stick them into an animal house together. Two white cats make an orangey cat, two orangey cats make a black cat, and two black cats make a calico. I didn't do dogs, because this is a long tedious process. It was the last trophy I got to platinum. I don't know if breeding two different color cats does anything different.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JustJeff88 posted:

I know that this might seem paranoid, but people in this very thread have mentioned that the Switch port of DQB2 chugs sometimes.

DQB2 is made by an entirely different team (company, even, Omega Force made it) on an entirely different engine with entirely different scope so I wouldn't use it to draw any parallels.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Pentaghastly posted:

I might be in the minority, but Moonbrooke Island is really cool thus far. I might be changing my tune, though because I have a feeling that they want to pin Malroth as the traitor and this underground cell I’m building isn’t for the actual traitor, just him.

And he’s mad at me because I used Ra’s mirror on him. The game didn’t give me any other choice, bro. I’m sorry :(

Edit: gently caress this castle. Have fun fighting the monsters on your own, y’all. I’ll be down here eating potatoes.

I kind of suspected this myself so I made that fkn cell as lush as I could make it. I put a bath, bed, all kind of furniture in it. If they were gonna jail my bro he was gonna be comfortable dammit. There's a lot of plot that happens afterwards that I guess kind of hinges on what happens but drat if it didn't break my heart.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Am I the only person who has no loving clue how to make a multistory building in DQB2? Everything is way too vertically cramped to handle another floor when rooms are loving like two blocks high. Stairs require a lot of horizontal space, too, so you need a really big room.

I also don’t know what to put in this bigass pyramid. It’s just way too loving much vertical space and it feels weird leaving like 6 blocks worth of height empty. I kinda wish I didn’t have to make it.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 25, 2019

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Tambaloneus posted:

I kind of suspected this myself so I made that fkn cell as lush as I could make it. I put a bath, bed, all kind of furniture in it. If they were gonna jail my bro he was gonna be comfortable dammit. There's a lot of plot that happens afterwards that I guess kind of hinges on what happens but drat if it didn't break my heart.

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who did that, I even left some food in a chest for him with a little dining set. It was for naught, he still friend-broke up with me. What do you mean I never came to see you? The guard wouldn’t let me!

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Am I the only person who has no loving clue how to make a multistory building in DQB2? Everything is way too vertically cramped to handle another floor when rooms are loving like two blocks high. Stairs require a lot of horizontal space, too, so you need a really big room.

I also don’t know what to put in this bigass pyramid. It’s just way too loving much vertical space and it feels weird leaving like 6 blocks worth of height empty. I kinda wish I didn’t have to make it.

Personally, I always make rooms at least three blocks high before adding the ceiling, just so everything doesn't seem so cramped.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Azathoth256 posted:

Personally, I always make rooms at least three blocks high before adding the ceiling, just so everything doesn't seem so cramped.

I do everything at least three high because doors are two high and most doors look weird if there's nothing over them. If it's just a room to put some stuff in that I know I'll never visit (like a dormitory) and it's in a multistory sort of setup, maybe the room itself will only be two high since there's another floor over it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I put the stairs outside, either in a proper stairwell or just wrapping outside the building. 3-block high floors work really well for the former since they end up at 4 high including the ceiling/floor so one can split it 2-and-2 with a landing going back and forth like they do in normal buildings, and that can be repeated over the same footprint indefinitely.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve found anything other than a 2-high no-roof room to be a tremendous pain in the rear end ever since Builders 1, I dunno why. I think it’s the top-down perspective, and the fact that by default you put down two blocks max. Plus, multistory buildings are just always awkward in voxel games.

I like the bowelism approach. I’ll do some testing when I get home.

I still think the pyramid is way too big. It feels like I’ll end up making it a cover over what would be a commercial district anyway, rather than a building in and of itself. That’s kinda disappointing, but there isn’t really a good way to make it a holistic structure that I can see.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Smash it down. That's what I did. Turned it into something nice.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm going to farm a shitton of gold and trowel the whole thing into an opulent crime against taste.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

YggiDee posted:

I'm going to farm a shitton of gold and trowel the whole thing into an opulent crime against taste.

This is probably the best use. Unless you can make the golem spit fire and shout "REMEMBER ME".

So, the snowy place pissed me off for obvious reasons, so I pried up EVERYTHING as I left, all the furniture, traps, doors, tore the church, everything. And then for good measure I cut a Sherman's March to the Sea style path THROUGH the place all the way to the docks.

Get hosed you oblivious bastards. Hope you can rebuild the ruins AGAIN.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Note that the postgame has an island for infinite gold.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

YggiDee posted:

I went back to the mining island and created a blue print of the first tavern. After I built it on my main island, I converted the whole thing to silver and gold blocks and it's majestic. My item shop is also gold floors and gold walls with gold lanterns. I don't care if it hurts to look at, I just want everything 4 stars.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i was jumping around to other people's islands and found a dude who ripped the top off his pyramid and put a glass bottom pool up there with waterfalls going down into the main chamber, he also closed off some of the internal borders near the walls and turned them into train tunnels, it was really cool

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Mad Wack posted:

i was jumping around to other people's islands and found a dude who ripped the top off his pyramid and put a glass bottom pool up there with waterfalls going down into the main chamber, he also closed off some of the internal borders near the walls and turned them into train tunnels, it was really cool

I sincerely hope you mean "ripped a singular layer off the golem's head to put in a pool." Because really, who keeps the pyramid and doesn't top it with a massive golem?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do you ever get a tool that makes putting roofs down a lot easier? Right now it’s kind of a pain in the rear end. The fill mode trowel can’t do horizontal filling.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Now that I know how cat and dog breeding works, I'm real upset about the sounds bunicorns make. :ohdear:

Can pets eat fish instead? I don't give a poo poo about fish.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Fortis posted:

Now that I know how cat and dog breeding works, I'm real upset about the sounds bunicorns make. :ohdear:

Can pets eat fish instead? I don't give a poo poo about fish.

I know dogs can. Haven't tried cats yet.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was going to raze a bunch of big trees for leaves and bark but holy hell is it a pain to break the whole thing down. I’ll just settle for a bunch of stumpy ones.

EDIT: is there a solution for getting a bunch of grass seed? I don’t wanna have to trek all the way back to Furrowfield for that poo poo. Don’t say Mudhands.

EDIT 2: do...do you lose a magic pencil sketch when you finish it???? what the gently caress

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

You

EDIT 2: do...do you lose a magic pencil sketch when you finish it???? what the gently caress

You can get it back from builderpedia. (And magic pencil is the tool I use for my ceilings/floors in my triplequadruple-deckers.