Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

D. Ebdrup posted:

And how can this be? Because it is the Kwisats Catarach!

Kull wahad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

D. Ebdrup posted:

And how can this be? Because it is the Kwisats Catarach!

Just when you thought the Cats movie couldn't get weirder.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Speaker posted:

Just popping in to say that, in keeping with my theme of naming data volumes after spacecraft, my newly-completed RAID5 backups are named 'Guild Heighliner' A & B.

Good to know I am not the only one

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

uber_stoat posted:

Stephen King's son's stuff is pretty well regarded. he also looks like a clone of his dad.

also, I didn't know Brian was so old. he won't he around to gently caress with Dune for too much longer I expect.

shoulda stayed in his lane.

https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/730855695986216960?s=20

BUY MY BOOK!
BUY MY BOOK!
BUY MY BOOK!
BUY MY BOOK!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I am @duneauthor. So alooonnnneee!

Oh done arthur I've always love-

*mumbles* DUNE author!

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Are there any instances in literature where an heir has taken the mantle of their parent's work and done it justice? Or is it failsons abounds?

Jerry Pournelles daughter wrote the third book in the Motie series. I don't know how well regarded it is but, I thought it was a pretty good successor.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Shaddak posted:

Jerry Pournelles daughter wrote the third book in the Motie series. I don't know how well regarded it is but, I thought it was a pretty good successor.

There's a third book? Time to start looking!

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

There's a third book? Time to start looking!

Released in 2010, I think. Definitely focuses more on social science (politics and religion) than the relatively hard sci-fi of the first two. I don't know if Jennifer Pournelle has written anything else, pretty sure she's an anthropologist. But yeah, I was just as surprised when I found out the book existed. It's called Outies, btw.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm a few pages into God-Emperor and wow, this is a marked change in narrative style from the first three books. I'm really digging it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Shaddak posted:

Released in 2010, I think. Definitely focuses more on social science (politics and religion) than the relatively hard sci-fi of the first two. I don't know if Jennifer Pournelle has written anything else, pretty sure she's an anthropologist. But yeah, I was just as surprised when I found out the book existed. It's called Outies, btw.

Thanks, sounds interesting enough. A couple of reviews say it's not as good as the originals, but I've never claimed to be above enjoying suboptimal genre fiction.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm a few pages into God-Emperor and wow, this is a marked change in narrative style from the first three books. I'm really digging it.

God Emperor is so weird and good that it's worth all of the dumb poo poo in Children just to get there. Also, you can stop after God Emperor and still feel pretty loving solid about the entire ordeal.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I straight up didn't realize the baron had two nephews until the baron starts talking about replacing one with the other during my first listen to the audiobook.
also someone on page 4 back in 2017 said bautista should play rabban so that's cool

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

kiimo posted:

Oh, Thufir ! I see they've installed your plug already. Don't be angry. Everyone gets one here. But this is not why we're here. We brought you a little cat, Thufir. You must care for it if you wish to live

drat, even Herbert wasn't that cruel, kiimo

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

exmachina posted:

I don't know what the connection between Drum and Bass and Dune is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lgQp3OTiNw

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_v172PgToE

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

thank you

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The Noisia remix of that BSE tune is tight as hell, too. Heavy rotation in my playlists for like a year, and any time it pops into my head still today. A technique involving sound...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW3dGB-vl8U

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kiimo posted:

Oh, Thufir ! I see they've installed your plug already. Don't be angry. Everyone gets one here. But this is not why we're here. We brought you a little gerbil, Thufir. You must care for it if you wish to live

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Mister Speaker posted:

The Noisia remix of that BSE tune is tight as hell, too. Heavy rotation in my playlists for like a year, and any time it pops into my head still today. A technique involving sound...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW3dGB-vl8U

Walk without rhythm.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Mods change my name to Beef Swellington tia

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
shigawire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ihiTwJPCc

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
It always seemed odd to me that they’d make the prison colony planet for the galaxy’s worst criminals the one where the chief export is garrote wire

What crimes did those kids the tiger ate do?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

It always seemed odd to me that they’d make the prison colony planet for the galaxy’s worst criminals the one where the chief export is garrote wire

What crimes did those kids the tiger ate do?

Conspiracy to give royal pets indigestion. Sentence: tiger.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

The imdb page for dune got filled out some with more bit parts, like officers and soldiers. Looking right, but still no sign of Feyd or the emperor... If they've finished filming but haven't announced who's playing those roles, it's gotta be something surprising, right? I'm telling ya, it's Tom Holland for Feyd and Johnny Depp as Salvador Dali as the emperor.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Remind me again why Feyd needs to be in the first film

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

kiimo posted:

Anything to put more Baron and Lovely Feyd scenes in there.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
The Emperor will be Kyle McLachlan and The Lovely Feyd will just be Chalamet with a different hairstyle and a goatee.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

kiimo posted:

Only for the somewhat important scene setting up Vlad's plot to brutalise the population via Rabban, so that they will treat Feyd as the saviour.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I know but that seems like something you could explain in one sentence in the second film.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Having thought about it, in the book this part of.tje plot only plays out in Barron's mind. I do believe however that showing from the outset (in the first movie), that Barron has two quite different heirs would be somewhat meaningful to the story as a whole. Otherwise Feyd is either removed from the thing totally or pulled out of a hat in the second movie.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Feyd:

-Is Lovely
-Lives in a palace
-Is a great duelist (so he is a brave noble aristocrat)
-Is well dressed
-Is charismatic
-Might kill the Baron who everybody hates in a plot twist to make the audience like him
-Is with all the other aristocrats where they can fawn over him

Paul:

-Is smelly
-Lives in a cave
-Is a witch (so aristocrats hate him)
-Wears a giant poopsock
-Eats spice drugs and hallucinates constantly
-Catches giant worms for fun and drinks people's blood because it's full of water
-Is in a cave so nobody important knows anything about him

So I can see how they might set up the movie to make Feyd seem the one who's about to win the game of spice thrones

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Infinite Karma posted:

Feyd:

-Is Lovely
-Lives in a palace
-Is a great duelist (so he is a brave noble aristocrat)
-Is well dressed
-Is charismatic
-Might kill the Baron who everybody hates in a plot twist to make the audience like him
-Is with all the other aristocrats where they can fawn over him

Paul:

-Is smelly
-Lives in a cave
-Is a witch (so aristocrats hate him)
-Wears a giant poopsock
-Eats spice drugs and hallucinates constantly
-Catches giant worms for fun and drinks people's blood because it's full of water
-Is in a cave so nobody important knows anything about him

So I can see how they might set up the movie to make Feyd seem the one who's about to win the game of spice thrones

Why isnt this in the generally accepted form of a hideous virgin/chad mspaint?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I felt like part of the point of the whole Harkonnen thing was that the Baron was playing a really competent game of checkers, while Paul had been setting up these weird little horsey guys on his side of the board. The Baron had a really good plan! Even if Paul and Jessica had lived he would have probably expected them to go elsewhere -- to Tupile or to go reclaim Caladan or something...

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The Virgin Paul - has wives who admire him and even fight by his side.
The Chad Feyd - has slaves that he strangles because his uncle is jealous and threatened to take away his playstation.

By the way, does anyone have the feeling that the Fremen take the water of everybody they can? Maybe I got lost in their allusions to "leave [x] for Shai Hulud" but if it were feasible, wouldn't they want to take everyone they killed to the deathstills?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yes they do. Remember Stilgar was about to take Jessica's water before she proved herself.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Rumor mill is saying sharon Duncan Brewster is playing a gender swapped liet kynes.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
if it bleeds we can still it

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

DebonaireD posted:

Rumor mill is saying sharon Duncan Brewster is playing a gender swapped liet kynes.

Ok... I don't mind a genderswapped kynes. Dune needs some non-BG women characters, and a woman in a position of seniority but not leadership is believable in fremen culture.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

if it bleeds we can still it

Your user name is too water-fat for this thread. Could you change it to something more stillsuit-friendly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Replace meaty with chewy would also accept spicy for maximum duel meaning