Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Calgary slashing the city budget by 60 million and then announcing they’re going halfie on the flames arena was the worst news to ever wake up to and I can’t wait for crackheads and sex workers to roam around forest lawn again like it’s 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

drjuggalo posted:

Calgary slashing the city budget by 60 million and then announcing they’re going halfie on the flames arena was the worst news to ever wake up to and I can’t wait for crackheads and sex workers to roam around forest lawn again like it’s 2006

And what’s wrong with sex workers being visible in public?

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Arivia posted:

And what’s wrong with sex workers being visible in public?

The part where they’re trying to work in parks in front of kids while other people are shooting up heroin right beside them

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Yeah i'd have to agree with that. It's not really safe for them either to be working on a corner.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This is absolutely not the forum to kinkshame park-loving.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Virtual Russian posted:

We'll just pick the most expensive one because of course.

Its worth mentioning that twin engines *should* be on this list two, but not even the CF seems concerned with that.

TBH even picking the most expensive one and it work would be better than picking the most expensive one and have it be broken and useless

The dual/single engine thing has drawn some controversy. On the one hand, dual engines good because if one engine fails you don't loose the airframe. The argument for the alternative is that engine tech has gotten reliable enough that statistically the aircraft lost is the same as older aircraft with more failure-prone engines. This is true, not just BS; it's why big twin engine airliners are replacing four-engine airliners even on extremely long routes, but it is something to consider. (Just FYI the Super Hornet and the Typhoon have two engines; the F-35 and the Gripen have one.)

As for saving money, well, if that were a big issue, the Government would be just buying the aircraft out of the maker's factory instead of nosing about for baksheeh. Just buying from others instead of trying to make it in some Canadain rotten borough would cut something like 2/3rds off the unit price. The legal framework under the F-35 actually explicitly says you can't ask for work to be done in your nation as opposed to another, which by itself would be a disadvantage (though Canada has so many billions of dollars worth of aerospace contracts relating to the F-35.) Saab has been vocal about being willing to play ball on this point, going so far as to build the Gripen in Canada. On the other hand, Turkey was just kicked out of the F-35 consortium for buying Russian SAMs, so suddenly LockMart has one hell of a big subcontract that it could give Canada some of.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

drjuggalo posted:

The part where they’re trying to work in parks in front of kids while other people are shooting up heroin right beside them

https://twitter.com/SaltSleeper/status/1135700554464813056

If only there was something that could be done about people shooting up in public :thunk:

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Another Bill posted:

If only there was something that could be done about people shooting up in public :thunk:

Hey if it were up to me I’d blow up the saddledome right now and redirect all this new arena money into poo poo like this but I’m only a serf to the CSEC along with the rest of the city

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Suplex Liberace posted:

on the topic of jets why are we buying them seems like a waste of money.

Are there any good canada focused political magazines? Is the Walrus any good or Canadian Dimension?

Just listen to all the CANADALAND things + Sandy and Nora and you're most of the way there

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I do but i prefer to read :) Newist episode of Crude was p good. gently caress CSIS

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Another Bill posted:

I'm genuinely amazed that the UCP didn't just burn down all safe injection sites/convert them to breweries, when Alberta's associate minister for mental health and addictions went and said this:

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

edit: butt post

ARACHTION has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Jul 24, 2019

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

drjuggalo posted:

Maybe thats not a kid park then, maybe thats an adult park with adult things like heroin and hookers.

Kids get all the other parks.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lmao alberta is hosed

https://twitter.com/MBellefontaine/status/1153769710787485697?s=20

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Can't make Scheer look bad by... enacting the policies they said they were going to.

Also goodbye all social programs.

Safe injection sites? Gone
$25 dollar a day daycare? Gone
Funding for child poverty avoidance? Gone

gently caress you if you aren't rich.

apatheticman has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Jul 24, 2019

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

they are going to wait until a few days after the fed election and just go scorched earth

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

apatheticman posted:

Can't make Scheer look bad by... enacting the policies they said they were going to.

Also goodbye all social programs.

Safe injection sites? Gone
$25 dollar a day daycare? Gone
Funding for child poverty avoidance? Gone

gently caress you if you aren't rich.

well its what the stupid fucks in alberta wanted

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
On some abstract level I feel bad for the people of Calgary but the only visceral emotion I have is a mix of contempt and schadenfreude over the knowledge their province is doomed. I wonder if these were the last human sensations that Cultural Imperial had before his brain irrevocably snapped and he started spite voting for the BC Libs.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

RBC posted:

Someone I know was trying to argue that the arena construction in calgary is good because it'll give people some jobs.

I guess gently caress all the people who's jobs are lost with the various service cuts.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RBC posted:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Someone I know was trying to argue that the arena construction in calgary is good because it'll give people some jobs.

I guess gently caress all the people who's jobs are lost with the various service cuts.

the stadium grift is like the oldest city grift known to man

build a big ol stadium it'll bring ~jobs~

*stadium becomes a lake of bird poo as all the money disappears down a hole*

Yinlock has issued a correction as of 21:07 on Jul 24, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I absolutely hate clownworld for letting twitter disputes seep into actual news. Can you even loving imagine this kind of coverage of the internet 10+ years ago?

please look forward to my interview

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yinlock posted:

the stadium grift is like the oldest city grift known to man

build a big ol stadium it'll bring ~jobs~

*stadium becomes a lake of bird poo as all the money disappears down a hole*

well we modified the original designs a bit. what if, hear me out, what if the stadium was maybe longer, and in the shape of a tube. and also it ran across a mountain.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

can we talk about the economic impacts to local and small businesses for a second

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
If Calgary builds an arena next to the existing arena, think of how it will rbe a boon to all of the businesses owned by Penny Lane Entertainment Group!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

imagine all the jobs you could create by using that same amount of money hiring people to do literally anything else

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

If only there was some economic benefit to building a whole bunch of affordable housing for people instead of a hockey arena :thunk:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Helsing posted:

On some abstract level I feel bad for the people of Calgary but the only visceral emotion I have is a mix of contempt and schadenfreude over the knowledge their province is doomed.

Same, and I Iive here.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

DariusLikewise posted:

can we talk about the economic impacts to local and small businesses for a second

All the bars outside of east village are gonna eat poo poo since property tax is still a hellhole in this city and all the microbreweries that popped up in the last 5 years wont enjoy it either because molson is exclusive to the flames

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Jason Kenney driving his RAM 1500 SLT Double Cab triumphantly into the convention center is something I still have difficulty processing. It was like a parody, or a fever dream.

It was just such a pure distillation of everything I hate about this loving province. An Ontario politician who never had a real job in his life driving around in the worst pickup truck on the market that every dipshit wannabe suburban redneck in Alberta thinks is "tough", using it as a prop as if to say "see, you loving stupid hogs? I'm just like you! You loving morons!" and they just lapped it up.

Now this idiot province is doomed and all of us sensible people in Edmonton are gonna get dragged down along with all the dumbfuck rubes.

Ansar Santa has issued a correction as of 22:40 on Jul 24, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
jeez way to alienate the Ford and Chevy bros, j-ken

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Hedging his bets on whether Trudeau scrapes by.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:chef:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:27 on Jun 20, 2021

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

gently caress Alberta and lol @ Fiat truck

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/HarshaWalia/status/1154396905893289986?s=20

Wonder if the right will be brazen enough to use this as two tier propaganda.

Also gently caress that guy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A Russian troll farm posted:

Jason Kenney driving his RAM 1500 SLT Double Cab triumphantly into the convention center is something I still have difficulty processing. It was like a parody, or a fever dream.

It was just such a pure distillation of everything I hate about this loving province. An Ontario politician who never had a real job in his life driving around in the worst pickup truck on the market that every dipshit wannabe suburban redneck in Alberta thinks is "tough", using it as a prop as if to say "see, you loving stupid hogs? I'm just like you! You loving morons!" and they just lapped it up.

Now this idiot province is doomed and all of us sensible people in Edmonton are gonna get dragged down along with all the dumbfuck rubes.

the real identity politics was never people with blue hair talking about gender; it was always people furiously cosplaying dipshit cowboys every day of the week

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1154168379114250246?s=20

lmao this guy

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

anyways this province is doomed; literally no one - not even the NDP - is willing to admit that trying to invest in more oil production and support the beef industry when we've got less than 10 years to cut CO2 emissions to the bone is not merely harmful to the province's future but harmful to the entire loving world, and there's no federal politician with enough backbone to admit it and then offer some other way forwards for the province

we're at the point in human history where strong, effective leadership is needed more than ever before but people are so desperate to continue to live in a dream that they're voting in complete loving yokels like trudeau, kenney, and ford and then act surprised when their riverside mcmansion is flooded for the third time in four years

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

i will make family immigration much more difficult
- a very smart man running for election in a nation of immigrants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

i will make family immigration much more difficult
- a very smart man running for election in a nation of immigrants

"FYGM" plays well for people who already got theirs.