Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It also contains demakes of a lot of MN9 content and it's crazy how much better it is than the real thing despite not being all that different.

This is why I will argue to my dying day that MM as a whole was good in spite of Inafune, not because of him. Inti Creates had made good MM games before, and then made their own take with Gunvolt which was also good. And even them being involved couldn't salvage MN9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Megaman 11 is the best Megaman games since the NES ones and it was the first actual-factual Megaman game without Inafune.

Inafune is nothing more than the exact sort of businessman he railed against in his failing days at Capcom and the breathing definition of "ineffectual ideas guy."

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MN9 turned out the way it did because the director and most of the leads on Comcept's side were all relatively inexperienced - none of the old guard they pimped in the campaign were as involved as they implied and Inti was the junior partner on the game so they were essentially working with what they were given in many cases.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

i still think the mighty number 9 franchise can be salvaged but maybe its not worth it since megaman is sorta back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

i still think the mighty number 9 franchise can be salvaged but maybe its not worth it since megaman is sorta back.

I won't say it's impossible but it seems extremely unlikely. It was a new IP that got an extremely negative backlash and a part of that was the developer's attempt to capitalize on it before the game even came out. It doesn't help that it really doesn't have appealing characters, story or designs which are basically the only reason left to use the IP.

Not to mention that Comcept is effectively dead since it's now just a subsidiary of Level 5 and I doubt Level 5 is interested in something that isn't making them bank.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The ugly "Mega Man with the serial numbers filed off" characters don't really hold any value, but I think you could probably make a fun Mighty No. 9 game if you refocused and really built around the whole "stun enemies and dash through them to build up combos" mechanic instead of stuffing it into an attempt at a classic Mega Man structure. Sort of like Gunvolt's combo/score attack focus but with stages and enemy layouts really designed around popping off quick shots and dashing through them with a lot of fast, fun movement instead of the "tag and hold" buildup of Gunvolt.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I for one still hope for a sequel that tries again but goes its own direction. And has better levels... mostly better levels.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Box of Bunnies posted:

The ugly "Mega Man with the serial numbers filed off" characters don't really hold any value, but I think you could probably make a fun Mighty No. 9 game if you refocused and really built around the whole "stun enemies and dash through them to build up combos" mechanic instead of stuffing it into an attempt at a classic Mega Man structure. Sort of like Gunvolt's combo/score attack focus but with stages and enemy layouts really designed around popping off quick shots and dashing through them with a lot of fast, fun movement instead of the "tag and hold" buildup of Gunvolt.

Inti is already making that Copen game though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

do you think the mn9 cartoon is ever gonna come out

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Squiddycat posted:

do you think the mn9 cartoon is ever gonna come out

Did they even ever release the 3DS and Vita ports?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nope.

The movie was purely a licensing deal, there's no evidence it ever came close to even entering production.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Did they even ever release the 3DS and Vita ports?

Nope, not sure if they’re even still in production for that matter.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

As for the cartoon, why bother anymore at this point when Mega Man: Fully Charged managed to drop well before (if it ever even makes it out of development hell), and was probably better than the MN9 one would have ended up?

As much as people bitched (on Reddit, at least) about Fully Charged's story changed and art style, what little I watched with my son, it wasn't awful. Actually had some legitimately funny gags at times.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Mighty Number 9 is a decent game. It only needed a little more time in the polish phase (better explosions, animated faces, rocket weapon not being completely overpowered). Heck even the characters are memorable and unique. It was just over-hyped and had some unnecessary drama.

I hope they are still willing to make a sequel or a spinoff.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Larryb posted:

Nope, not sure if they’re even still in production for that matter.

Not a chance, none of the existing versions even got a single patch

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Mighty Number 9 is a decent game. It only needed a little more time in the polish phase (better explosions, animated faces, rocket weapon not being completely overpowered). Heck even the characters are memorable and unique. It was just over-hyped and had some unnecessary drama.

Mighty Gunvolt Burst is technically a sequel (it takes place after MN9 and I believe sometime during Gunvolt 2).

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

It seems they're trying to use the MMX mobile game to sell an overpriced "gaming phone".

I'm so disappointed, a new MMX game that bring back characters from Command Mission is like a dream game but it being on phones kills it to me.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Agreed, but I also wish they had removed some of the "score attack" elements, you're pressured to build a combo by xel-absorbing enemies the moment you disable them but then there's a powerup item that let's you shoot through walls and enemies that works against this mechanic since you'll accidentaly disable enemies that are too far away. Even worse, you'll sometimes get this powerup automatically just by playing well, so it's like the game is trying to sabotage you.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I love the score attack aspects of Gunvolt in theory, it's just the way they executed it gets on my nerves. It borrows too much from enemy chaining type shmups, and I feel very Xoxak about those.

If they made scoring more a factor of speed instead of multikill chaining, maybe added a few non metered special moves as melee/ranged finishers, and added more scoring conditionals like backstabs or rotating your finishers or something. Chains can still give bonus points but having more gameplay options and overall faster play would be great. Just something other than coming to a dead stop to facilitate a multikill and allowing a more Zero-series-esque speed and kill efficiency alternative playstyle.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I am on the home stretch on platting the X Legacy Collection (which will be my first real plat, as the only other one is the first season of The Walking Dead) - just need to do the Sigma stages on Zero normal, then I'll spin through as X on rookie for his specific trophies.

These games are so loving good (X3, less so).

But the best part of this month of Mega Man X has been rediscovering almost two decades later the gem of a cutscene between Zero and Colonel (apologies if it's been posted in the last dozen pages or so).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIPuX4iNZM0

So much in these 84 seconds.

-Colonel invites Zero to a specific location for a fight, then is surprised when Zero appears and attacks
-"Stop the coop now!" "NEVAH" "... If that's your decision....prepareyourself!"
-They're at a standstill, and somehow Zero lets Colonel just walk away for no reason after he goes "Oh...okay, I'll spare your life for now."
-"Someone....must stop....repliforce!"

It might even be better than the "What am I fighting for?" scene.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 24, 2019

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Idk man nothing is better than the “WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOR?” scene

Except maybe the opening cutscene in MM8

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I haven't seen any of those cutscenes in English in years.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Alot of those scenes in X4 in English VA were so so bad but I loved it. Gotta love it when they half rear end it with X being voiced by a girl. Like Megaman 8 I understand. Zero had the best cutscenes. Probably what made me pause and laugh is Maverick Zero beating the poo poo out of Maverick Hunter Sigma and his “maverick “ laugh is: heh heh heh. EH HEH HEH HEH. EH EH Heh Heh Heh Hahaha

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The thing that gets me about that scene with Colonel is Zero is the one with a big rivalry with Colonel. And yet...X is the one who gets a boss fight there, and Zero just gets a cutscene? It's not like they couldn't have just had him...you know...not blow up after it.

Granted, this was the real start of the Zero Power Hour, so of course he gets the Super Cool cutscene.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Looking back at it. Zero got the huge bias in x4. Because that fighting Megaman game didnt come here til later, X4 is the first confirmation we have that Zero is created by Dr Wily with the dream intro cutscene. His story he rescues Iris, who is presumed dead in X’s storyline. Even though both Colonel flips out being accused of causing the disaster of an energy reactor to blow, (idk if im right if it was a reactor) hes more angry at X like gently caress off you cop. As someone pointed his confrontation with Colonel is a cutscene emphasizing that is more personal than just a Maverick huntet trying to stop Mavericks. The infamous Iris cutscene and then his flash back with Sigma which shows us Sigma as Maverick Hunter. Wouldn’t be surpised if Infaune nudged x4 to be more of Zeros story. To go off topic, I don’t really like MHX retcon that Reploids can go Maverick at will...I liked more so the implications that Dr Wily had a hand in this because of Zero being patient zero and being the cause of the war between reploids.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Shindragon posted:

I don’t really like MHX retcon that Reploids can go Maverick at will

That had always been the case, and wasn't a retcon to MHX. Maverick was a term for any Reploid that was considered a threat to humanity, with the earliest, pre-Zero being because of flawed programming. But it was also applied to those infected, and those who for whatever reason chose their path. Like Repliforce. It's a fair bet most of them weren't infected, but they were still labeled Mavericks for political reasons.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Somehow I completely forgot Repliforce... Some X4 fan I am.

If I recall half the bosses were Repliforce and some worked under Sigma no?

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 24, 2019

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Shindragon posted:

Alot of those scenes in X4 in English VA were so so bad but I loved it. Gotta love it when they half rear end it with X being voiced by a girl. Like Megaman 8 I understand. Zero had the best cutscenes. Probably what made me pause and laugh is Maverick Zero beating the poo poo out of Maverick Hunter Sigma and his “maverick “ laugh is: heh heh heh. EH HEH HEH HEH. EH EH Heh Heh Heh Hahaha

What I like about this scene is that Sigma always sounded cartoonishly evil, even before going maverick.

*sinister voice* "I can't allow any more of my people to be sacrificed!"

iirc Peacock, Mushroom, and Dragoon were Sigma

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Somehow I completely forgot Repliforce... Some X4 fan I am.

If I recall half the bosses were Repliforce and some worked under Sigma no?

Yeah, which is fun because it changes the icon under their health bar considering, and then you have ones like Split Mushroom who is just taunting X for asking the dumb question of "who are you working for?"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I also love how somehow a giant army such as Repliforce has only one Colonel.

"I'm the Colonel of Repliforce"

Too bad we never got to meet the Sergeant or the Corporal.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

AngryRobotsInc posted:

That had always been the case, and wasn't a retcon to MHX. Maverick was a term for any Reploid that was considered a threat to humanity, with the earliest, pre-Zero being because of flawed programming. But it was also applied to those infected, and those who for whatever reason chose their path. Like Repliforce. It's a fair bet most of them weren't infected, but they were still labeled Mavericks for political reasons.

X4 was kind of a special case with the labeling of Repliforce for political reasons. The entire plot of X8 is about the ability to go maverick at will, which was a new thing for the new generation of reploids.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

For some reason I really loved the story of the X games, especially X4 & X5. It was a blast playing through them again earlier this year and doing all the hunter medals

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Oyster posted:

X4 was kind of a special case with the labeling of Repliforce for political reasons. The entire plot of X8 is about the ability to go maverick at will, which was a new thing for the new generation of reploids.

Which was bullshit. Reploids were explained to have free will, that was what separated them from the Robot Masters and stuff of the past. The Maverick Virus was implied to have driven Reploids homicidally insane, but Reploids could absolutely choose to be "bad" freely. The Maverick Hunters wouldn't have existed pre-Maverick Virus if there weren't incidents beforehand. Lumine's thing about "we can go Maverick at will" should basically mean that they're immune to the Virus, and they're rebelling because they want to.

X is specifically called out as a potential danger by Light in X1 because he's got free will. He was put through a learning scenario for a hundred some years in that capsule to try to mold him into a good person, but he wasn't programmed to just be good. He can choose. The Reploids based on him can also choose, though it's implied they're flawed in some ways that make them vulnerable to the Maverick Virus where X isn't.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I mean I was under the impression that Lumina and the new generation reploids were “immune” to the virus because they already had it. That having Sigma’s dna made them strong at first but gradually drove them insane. Maybe I just made that up, but Lumina seems pretty nuts at the end of that game!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

For some reason I really loved the story of the X games, especially X4 & X5. It was a blast playing through them again earlier this year and doing all the hunter medals

:same: I loved the faux-political nonsense of X4, because it kind of emphasizes the themes of the X series that make it a tragedy instead of just a mindless action romp (and I mean, these themes go way back to the first game with X feeling powerless, gaining enough power to face Sigma, and still losing his close friend anyway). Likewise, the culmination of that plot was always supposed to be X and Zero fighting, since they were the creations of Light and Wily, and for all its flaws (good lord, are there plenty) X5 did lean into that pretty well.

Plus I 10000% love when you fight X as Zero and he has a bunch of X4 weapons, because he's finally breaking down his idealism and realizing that he'll need to keep fighting despite the brief interludes of peace.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I mean I was under the impression that Lumina and the new generation reploids were “immune” to the virus because they already had it. That having Sigma’s dna made them strong at first but gradually drove them insane. Maybe I just made that up, but Lumina seems pretty nuts at the end of that game!

Lumine is batshit bonkers, and I would take absolutely nothing he says at face value.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Lumine is batshit bonkers, and I would take absolutely nothing he says at face value.

Right and the impression I got was that they went “maverick at will” because they had the sigma virus programmed into their DNA. So they thought they were experiencing free will but it was an illusion.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The wiki had some :techno: about it enabling them to follow sigma's particular darwinist philosophy or some crap, but wiki isn't always reliable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think the idea was that the copy chips in the new gen reploids were made from data gathered from several old models including Sigma. As such, since they were literally part of him in a sense that means Sigma could effectively control these new reploids even without infecting them first.

Hell, though the game was technically released before X8 we even see this continue a bit into Command Mission with Redips.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Larryb posted:

I think the idea was that the copy chips in the new gen reploids were made from data gathered from several old models including Sigma. As such, since they were literally part of him in a sense that means Sigma could effectively control these new reploids even without infecting them first.

Unfortunately, the people who keep making new reploids after the last disaster are just dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Unfortunately, the people who keep making new reploids after the last disaster are just dumb as hell.

Do we even really know how or where reploids are made?