Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Seanan McGuire is a published, award-winning author. Of course it's fiction. I just like the idea of random grandmas coming out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Seanan McGuire is a published, award-winning author.
Should I be saying "Nice of her to save her Z material for Twitter" or simply, "How?"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

maswastaken posted:

Should I be saying "Nice of her to save her Z material for Twitter" or simply, "How?"

You'll find out by looking up who the award was given by. It's hardly some prestigious literature award. It's just an award given out at a convention almost 10 years ago.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You'll find out by looking up who the award was given by. It's hardly some prestigious literature award. It's just an award given out at a convention almost 10 years ago.

She’s won a Hugo and a Nebula, which are legit sci-fi literature awards.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Arivia posted:

She’s won a Hugo and a Nebula, which are legit sci-fi literature awards.

That would have required reading more than the blurb on the side of the page from wikipedia when you google her name. It was hard enough getting past the word "filker".

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

#lol

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Idk that's kinda fun sounding and nobody clapped

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

fake bc anyone who works at joann fabrics would never be excited about the prospect of cutting faux fur

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

snoo posted:

fake bc anyone who works at joann fabrics would never be excited about the prospect of cutting faux fur

If it's anything like people at Lincraft, you do get the occasional employee who is just way, way, way too enthusiastic about fabric and craft supplies. Usually they turn out to be furries, sometimes ren faire types, frequently both.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not the most outlandish story, but if he were embarrassed wouldn't he just say "I need it for like, a monster costume" without the added information that's ultimately not relevant

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sir Lemming posted:

Not the most outlandish story, but if he were embarrassed wouldn't he just say "I need it for like, a monster costume" without the added information that's ultimately not relevant

It's clear he was a self-hating furry, and the yeti thing was the best he could come up with on the spot.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Not going to lie, dressing in a yet I costume and chasing skiers sounds like a good time.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I ran across this bit about Hamilton on YouTube this morning, which I guess is from a recent Netflix special. The point isn't wrong, but the framing is ridiculous and also falls into the "I can't tell fiction from reality" trap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kpL8C9r_GI

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

That's clearly a stand-up comedy routine and they're all do exactly this so I'm not sure we should count them as STDH

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

That's clearly a stand-up comedy routine and they're all do exactly this so I'm not sure we should count them as STDH

We have this discussion a lot about whether jokes count as STDH. All I can say is that I cringed instead of laughing when I tried to imagine this.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Jurgan posted:

We have this discussion a lot about whether jokes count as STDH. All I can say is that I cringed instead of laughing when I tried to imagine this.

I mean, it 100% didn't happen because Katherine Ryan is on TV a lot in the UK and a British audience would recognise her pretty quickly so the newspapers the next day would have been full of "Katherine Ryan shouts at actors on stage". Bu this type of story-telling-joke is pretty standard in comedy routines here. I wonder if it's a cultural thing. Does US standup focus more on observations and less anecdotes?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What didn’t happen for me is laughing. I sure don’t want to watch standup where large chunks of it are just Hamilton lyrics

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I can't lie, the bit is pretty cringe-worthy and not really funny at all, so it could be considered STDH based on that in combination with the fact that it clearly didn't happen. Just happens to be in stand-up comedy, and the bit falls flat because it's so clearly contrived. Also seems stupid to hold an actor, playing a historical American Revolution figure in a well-known musical, responsible for holding up modern standards, or at least to make it seem so in a contrived story.

NtotheTC posted:

I mean, it 100% didn't happen because Katherine Ryan is on TV a lot in the UK and a British audience would recognise her pretty quickly so the newspapers the next day would have been full of "Katherine Ryan shouts at actors on stage". Bu this type of story-telling-joke is pretty standard in comedy routines here. I wonder if it's a cultural thing. Does US standup focus more on observations and less anecdotes?

It just depends on who it is. Lots of well-known comics, both male and female, tell jokes in anecdotal form or switch between the two in the same routine. Louis C.K., Aziz Ansari, Dan Cummins, many others. But in the same way you're describing, many of those stories are at least half made-up because it suits the joke being told and makes it funnier. I just happen to think Katherine Ryan's joke here was not in any way plausible, to the point it was a lot less funny. Storytelling for jokes is pretty common here in the US, all things considered--it's just that most of the time those stories are at least halfway plausible, because in many ways the made-up parts are lying about small, mundane things like whether or not the comic watches a particular show, or what he or she did or said in a sexual encounter. It's probably more accurate to say they embellish things rather than outright lie. KR clearly lied about a big thing that people could verify, something we'd have heard about pretty quickly on social media. It just kind of takes you right out of the joke honestly.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What didn’t happen for me is laughing. I sure don’t want to watch standup where large chunks of it are just Hamilton lyrics

Holy poo poo are those actually the lyrics I thought she was making up deliberately stupid ones for comic effect.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

NtotheTC posted:

Holy poo poo are those actually the lyrics I thought she was making up deliberately stupid ones for comic effect.

The ones I listened to were anyway, then I started skipping to the punchline. Didn't hear any made up ones.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Paladinus posted:

self-hating furry

don't sign my posts :(

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jurgan posted:

I ran across this bit about Hamilton on YouTube this morning, which I guess is from a recent Netflix special. The point isn't wrong, but the framing is ridiculous and also falls into the "I can't tell fiction from reality" trap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kpL8C9r_GI

We don't know exactly how it went down with Hamilton and Reynolds in real life, but by his own account he said that he really did walk her home and give her some money but she started flirting with him and one thing led to another. It led into her husband blackmailing him for money, and it's believed that (willingly or otherwise) she was actively participating in the scheme.

So her punchline is just taking the lyrics from Hamilton at face value and making funny faces at them.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
it's bizarre to post an actual literal stand up comedy routine in here as 'stdh' whether you think that comedy routine sucks or not, wth

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I am starting to suspect that there was no baby selling cocaine on the street at 3am.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

ulex minor posted:

it's bizarre to post an actual literal stand up comedy routine in here as 'stdh' whether you think that comedy routine sucks or not, wth

Could someone PM me the STDH manual? I never got a copy and I want to avoid breaking the rules again.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think the point of stdh is people trying to present blatant lies as true. No one really expects the stories that stand up comedians tell to be true, do they?

E: The last stand up show I went to the comedian actually riffed on this explicitly because he had a story from his early 20s about how his girlfriend had cheated on him with Rowan Atkinson, which he admitted sounded like the sort of poo poo people make up for their jokes. It did actually turn out to be true and verifiable

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Jul 24, 2019

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

bike tory posted:

I think the point of stdh is people trying to present blatant lies as true. No one really expects the stories that stand up comedians tell to be true, do they?

I guess not, but it’s fun to pretend they are in the moment. If the story is too implausible then it stops being funny. And the trope of the one person standing up and bravely saying what needs to be said is classic STDH. The only thing missing is applause.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jurgan posted:

I guess not, but it’s fun to pretend they are in the moment. If the story is too implausible then it stops being funny. And the trope of the one person standing up and bravely saying what needs to be said is classic STDH. The only thing missing is applause.

Ya this is true. I still enjoyed her bit, though not in a laugh out loud kind of way

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s the kind of funny where you says”that’s funny” but you don’t smile or laugh

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
More like old mirthless

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Jurgan posted:

Could someone PM me the STDH manual? I never got a copy and I want to avoid breaking the rules again.

no

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

A likely story.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Jurgan posted:

You could always take a glance at the OP if you're confused:

quote:

However, there are some thing which resemble STDH but don't belong here, namely:

Jokes/Green Text Messages I know we're goons, but let's at least pretend we've been outside a couple of times, mmmkay?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Decrepus posted:

I am starting to suspect that there was no baby selling cocaine on the street at 3am.

No poo poo. Everyone knows they're in beddy-byes by 12:30 at the latest.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

EorayMel posted:

I remember long ago there was a post on these forums about how a goon was doing vague white powder ">0.001milligram dosages will irreparably gently caress you up" tier drugs and his dad found his drug stash and rubbed some of it on his gums thinking it was sugar or something.
Then several hours later said goon finds his dad in his underwear in the kitchen asking him if he wants eggs for breakfast while an entire loaf of bread in the plastic wrap and a full carton of eggs was burning in a frying pan on the stove long enough to become a fire hazard.

Unfortunately I cannot find the post or story :smith: If anybody had the vaguest idea what I'm talking about or a link to it, that would be most appreciated.

I loving found it

And apparently it was a stolen reddit crosspost after all :ms:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

who rubs sugar on their gums

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sebmojo posted:

who rubs sugar on their gums

In the actual story he thought it was cocaine and was doing the TV detective “try a little to see if it numbs” trick.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Plus, that's what you do with the powdery remnants on your mirror after snorting. Just to get every penny's worth.

Or so I'm told...

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
OkAYY bUT wwnOE NO!! NOWWAIT WAIT JUST NOOO BUTT liekEKE IMMaa Aa jINNENNN???