Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Selachian posted:

Reminds me of the trial of the White Tiger, when Matt Murdock called Mr. Fantastic as an expert witness in the field of "being a superhero."

He also called Luke Cage, Danny Rand, and Jessica Jones to testify.

In case anyone wants to read more about the portrayal of legal issues in Daredevil comics, I wrote a law review article all about that, which was published earlier this year:
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3389544

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Unmature posted:

I subscribed to City of Heroes for years and they sent you the comic for free. I bagged and boarded them and never even cracked an issue.

Out of the 32 issues i just read i would say there's about 3 arcs that i would call good, but none of it ever gets like, bad. Just middling. Tbh I'm only reading em cuz I've been playing it again and I've been working my way through the lore stuff

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Are there any good examples of character with powers who aren't superheroes or supervillains? So they're a mutant or get powers and are like 'yeah gently caress fighting crime I'm just going to use my flying for the commute' or they have a normal job that they use their ability for, like Pyro deciding just to be a fireman for instance.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's not really a normal job but in Gotham Central there is a cop who has minor psychic powers who just uses them to be a better copy.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Doc Samson tends to be written as primarily a highly skilled psychiatrist who happens to also have Hulk powers.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Are there any good examples of character with powers who aren't superheroes or supervillains? So they're a mutant or get powers and are like 'yeah gently caress fighting crime I'm just going to use my flying for the commute' or they have a normal job that they use their ability for, like Pyro deciding just to be a fireman for instance.

Cecilia Reyes really wanted to just be a normal doctor who happened to be able to create force fields, but she kept getting dragged into X-Men drama.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

In X-Force/X-Statix, there was a character called Lacuna.

She could freeze time for everyone but herself. She was offered a spot on the team, but turned them down because she was offered a job hosting a TV 'prank' show to use her powers to walk in on celebrities at embarrassing moments.

E: Top 10 might also be a good example, if you're not strictly looking at DC/Marvel. In that comic, everyone has a power or paraphernalia, but it's a police procedural. They do use their abilities, but just to bust criminals.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 22, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A good chunk of Kate Leth's Hellcat series was about her starting a temp agency for people with super powers. Also, she's on the Avengers now, but both the Dan Slott and Charles Soule She-Hulk series focused more on her being a lawyer first and a super hero second.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

site posted:

So I'm reading the city of heroes comics and there's a jury trial story where a hero is on trial, and it's the law there that all trials where a hero is the defendant have to use other heroes for jury members because one was once convicted and filled an appeal saying without them on the jury it wasn't a jury of their peers, and won. Has any other universe dealt with that?

Tangentially, Kurt Busiek's Astro City has a lot of my favorite takes about what living in a superhero universe can be like. Astro City: Local Heroes #4-5 is about the first lawyer to try the "We live in a Silver Age Superhero Universe." argument in court.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Astro City is stupendous and has a lot of good takes on that concept, yeah. There's even a club of non-heroic powered people who have sort of unionised so they can back each other up when a hero/villain organisation inevitably tries to drag them into superhero theatrics.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

The Rising Stars miniseries has this. 100 newborns get superpowers, and that's it. No aliens, no super-powered villians except each other. They grow up and find their own way in the world.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

lifg posted:

The Rising Stars miniseries has this. 100 newborns get superpowers, and that's it. No aliens, no super-powered villians except each other. They grow up and find their own way in the world.

I really liked Rising Stars. It had some problems (due to delays and a lawsuit about one characters name) but I think the main plot and in particular the ending were really well done.

It also had one of the best gimmick (for a unique use of comics as a visual medium) that takes place on the end of an issue. The way it worked (it required you to hold up the second last page of an issue to a light to get characters to appear) was really cool and I don't think it would work on digital platform.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rising Stars had a great start but the art was terrible from the beginning.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Various powered folk have worked for Damage Control in the Marvel universe from time to time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Kate Leth Hellcat series was about her setting up an agency to hire out powered people for work.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Alan Moores Top Ten is set in a city where almost everyone has powers, and most people arent superheroes or supervillains. The main cast are cops. Its absolutely rammed with background gags about superpowered people doing regular jobs.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Major Bummer is pretty much this, though he doesn't use his powers to even help himself. He is just a burnout who gets super powers from aliens who got him confused with someone else and now that he has these powers a lot of weird poo poo happens around him but he would rather just stay at home and eat pizza than actually deal with stuff like nazi dinosaurs and such.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Not quite on topic, because they are heroes, but issue 6 of Gillen's Young Avengers was almost nothing but Speed and Prodigy using their powers working lovely jobs that they hate, and it's a cool little peak into that world.

The issue opens with like 4 pages of Prodigy just sitting at a desk answering technical support calls for ninjas.

It also very lightly implies that this is just the sort of thing c-list superheroes do to make ends meet when they're not on any teams, which is fun to think about. Haven't seen Gravity in a while? Maybe he is doing some specialized work for the space program. :shobon:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cubone posted:

It also very lightly implies that this is just the sort of thing c-list superheroes do to make ends meet when they're not on any teams, which is fun to think about. Haven't seen Gravity in a while? Maybe he is doing some specialized work for the space program. :shobon:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cubone posted:

Not quite on topic, because they are heroes, but issue 6 of Gillen's Young Avengers was almost nothing but Speed and Prodigy using their powers working lovely jobs that they hate, and it's a cool little peak into that world.

The issue opens with like 4 pages of Prodigy just sitting at a desk answering technical support calls for ninjas.

Lol the poverty rate around the world must be awful. No wonder all the terrorist organizations have an endless supply of mooks. Their destitute lives can't get worse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

Lol the poverty rate around the world must be awful. No wonder all the terrorist organizations have an endless supply of mooks. Their destitute lives can't get worse.
Have you heard about the gig economy?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I remember there was something in a RPG setting that was relatively low-power supers, an agency that mixed and matched people with weirdly specific powers with weirdly specific needs. They gave the example of a guy who could shrink down to the size of a squirrel while retaining his proportional human strength, and that baby who fell into a drainpipe; they just called Supertemps and that guy showed up with a cat harness and got the baby out within an hour.

Of course, this was written in the 90s.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nessus posted:

I remember there was something in a RPG setting that was relatively low-power supers, an agency that mixed and matched people with weirdly specific powers with weirdly specific needs. They gave the example of a guy who could shrink down to the size of a squirrel while retaining his proportional human strength, and that baby who fell into a drainpipe; they just called Supertemps and that guy showed up with a cat harness and got the baby out within an hour.

Of course, this was written in the 90s.

I think that was in GURPS Supers. It's a sidebar on page 101.

I only checked because I am packing away my RPGs right now...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Skwirl posted:

Have you heard about the gig economy?

How do you think I post?

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Cubone posted:

Talking about how it's another week's work from his perspective got me wondering. Have they ever had a speedster whose aging tracks with his speed? Like every time he uses his power he ages noticeably compared to everyone else?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Barry Allen in Infinite Crisis.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

True. I guess that's no longer a factor because....speed force?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Esplanade posted:

Talking about how it's another week's work from his perspective got me wondering. Have they ever had a speedster whose aging tracks with his speed? Like every time he uses his power he ages noticeably compared to everyone else?

Z-list X-Men character Velocidad is exactly that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah his speed is specifically localized time dilation, which also means it works a bit different than other speedsters do, eg. he can't run on water or do any other Sonic type stuff. He just does normal things that are fast forwarded from everyone else's perspective.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Esplanade posted:

I remember this happening with a villain on the old Birdman cartoon. This mad scientist guy gives himself the power of superspeed and he proceeds to completely clown Birdman. He only loses because he ends up aging into an old man. It's explained that they found a way to stop the superspeed, but couldn't reverse the aging, which I always found really grim for an old Hanna-Barbera cartoon.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

edit: posting went horribly wrong somehow. Weird.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There was a cool story about that in Flinch, but obviously it was a one shot

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

My man Jumbo Carnation the mutant fashion designer from Grant Morrison's New X-Men. Also around the Morrison-era there was a mutant lawyer who had the minor power of manifesting tattooed words on his body that I think peeled off and floated around. He might have been in X-Statix?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Archyduchess posted:

My man Jumbo Carnation the mutant fashion designer from Grant Morrison's New X-Men.
Oh yeah! He died, but the recent Young Avengers story in War of the Realms suggested his brand survived, like Versace and McQueen. They go to a drag show and the label's rocked by a mutant drag queen called Krystal M'kraan.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Archyduchess posted:

My man Jumbo Carnation the mutant fashion designer from Grant Morrison's New X-Men. Also around the Morrison-era there was a mutant lawyer who had the minor power of manifesting tattooed words on his body that I think peeled off and floated around. He might have been in X-Statix?

He was a talent agent/manager and the red writing appeared on his skin (and I seem to remember he peeled a piece off and gave it out as a business card?). He was partners with a lawyer that had bat wings.

X-Statix was dope. Aside from Doop coming back, all of the other members are still dead, yeah? Aside from that Dr. Strange/Dead Girl mini.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

He was a talent agent/manager and the red writing appeared on his skin (and I seem to remember he peeled a piece off and gave it out as a business card?). He was partners with a lawyer that had bat wings.

X-Statix was dope. Aside from Doop coming back, all of the other members are still dead, yeah? Aside from that Dr. Strange/Dead Girl mini.

there was just recently a one-off Giant Sized X-Statix special that ended with the announcement of a new series next year

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

there was just recently a one-off Giant Sized X-Statix special that ended with the announcement of a new series next year

Allred on art?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Allred on art?

Milligan and I believe both Allreds are back on it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Without spoiling the one-shot completely, it reveals that several characters from the original series were less dead than originally advertised, and many of the ones that are still dead have relatives with very similar powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Alaois posted:

Holy poo poo! :aaaaa:

E:

Edge & Christian posted:

Without spoiling the one-shot completely, it reveals that several characters from the original series were less dead than originally advertised, and many of the ones that are still dead have relatives with very similar powers.

I read it while doing laundry, and I cannot say how pumped I am for a new ongoing. :neckbeard:

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 25, 2019