Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You won't stop me from stealing his bitcoins with my van eck equipment, foolish goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I know it's ridiculous, but didn't someone hack JPL through an rPi on their network?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kazy posted:

I know it's ridiculous, but didn't someone hack JPL through an rPi on their network?

A lot of infiltration is done with raspberry pis but usually they're placed on the network by bad actors because they're small and can be fit into power strips or other innocuous looking things. Even cheaper are little microcontrollers. Most of this stuff you can make yourself or just buy a few dozen if you're a pen testing shop for example:
https://maltronics.com/

If he turns the wifi and bluetooth off in the OS and leaves it on ethernet I doubt there'll be much trouble. If someone might turn them back on you can put it in a foil or antistatic bag with just the cables running out to block most EMF. It may get hot that way, though.

I'd say most hackers that get onto your network are going to have an easier time with your windows machines and IoT devices than an up to date install of raspbian.

Oh yeah they did it on Mr. Robot too, but this video is kind of painfully slow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ_HzhGV3Ks

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 24, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kazy posted:

Yes, but it was not that someone hacked a Pi that was there officially, it's that someone dropped a Pi on the network that was configured to do the attacker's bidding. There was no Pi-specific security issue or anything like that, the Pi just happened to be a readily available, compact, and disposable piece of hardware to do the job.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Dren posted:

The faraday cage idea is one i hadn’t thought of, I like it. I wonder what would happen if I found the wifi chip’s spot on the board and just drilled a hole though it.

Don't do that. That's not how electronics work. You will short out the power and ground plane almost surely and melt the board.

Disable the drivers in the kernel. You can't just remove chips willy nilly and expect the board to run as-is. It might be possible to use a hot air rework station to lift off the wifi radio chip, but there's absolutely no guarantee that the silicon in the main Pi processor (or more likely its proprietary videocore GPU that boots everything up) doesn't have explicit checks to make sure the wifi chip is connected and responding to basic requests.

In short, don't be a goober. Disable things the way they were meant to be disabled. Going at your board with drills and picks is a very dumb idea.

edit: And if this is for some kind of work related project where security is an issue--don't use a Pi. There are a ton of ARM boards available, many without built in wifi.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The shiny raspberry pi metal thing holds the 2.4gjz chip right? I haven't seen under it but I would think a large flathead screwdriver and a strong wrist would pop that right off. Especially if you preheat it in the oven for 10 minutes at 200F

mewse
May 2, 2006

Desolder it and then when it breaks the pi try to solder it back on and make the problem worse and throw the whole thing in the garbage :getin:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am morbidly curious why this guy really really needs to physically remove the wireless functionality. Disabling the kernel modules is going to be more than good enough for any use case that isn't taking place on a secret military base. So I see it as either the CIA is really struggling or this OP is irrationally concerned about movie hackers or he's one of those wifi allergy people. I rate it a :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: out of :freep:

Why don't you just get an old Pi 2 from eBay? The performance isn't that much worse and it doesn't have wifi in the first place.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 24, 2019

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Hadlock posted:

The shiny raspberry pi metal thing holds the 2.4gjz chip right? I haven't seen under it but I would think a large flathead screwdriver and a strong wrist would pop that right off. Especially if you preheat it in the oven for 10 minutes at 200F

That would be a bad idea too. The metal part is just a RF shield and would pop off, but below that the chip is going to be firmly soldered to the board. If you try to pry it off you're going to break the traces and probably splinter the entire board. Heating up to 200 won't do much as the solder doesn't flow until well above 350, and even if you did flow the board you're going to accidentally drop and push other components off the board in the process of manhandling the chip out. Don't forget there are components on both sides of the board and gravity is going to pull them all off.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

I am morbidly curious why this guy really really needs to physically remove the wireless functionality. Disabling the kernel modules is going to be more than good enough for any use case that isn't taking place on a secret military base. So I see it as either the CIA is really struggling or this OP is irrationally concerned about movie hackers or he's one of those wifi allergy people. I rate it a :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: out of :freep:

Why don't you just get an old Pi 2 from eBay? The performance isn't that much worse and it doesn't have wifi in the first place.

I know I can recompile the kernel without the wifi and bluetooth modules and disable module loading and that’s more than enough for most cases. My initial though was “I wonder if I can physically remove them” and I wasn’t getting anywhere on google with it which means it’s either really niche or completely not a thing. I had watched some teardown videos of the pi and what I saw made me think physically removing the wifi and bluetooth likely wouldn’t work but it’s not my specialty so I thought I’d ask.

I could ebay some pi 2’s, get a pi zero + usb ethernet, or order a pi B+ when they come back in stock. If I got some other ARM board what’s a good place to start looking? I would like gpio like the pi and/or SPI with a dedicated ethernet port. I probably want it to run linux.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Picking a board would imply some idea of what it's going to be used for

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Dren posted:

I know I can recompile the kernel without the wifi and bluetooth modules and disable module loading and that’s more than enough for most cases. My initial though was “I wonder if I can physically remove them” and I wasn’t getting anywhere on google with it which means it’s either really niche or completely not a thing. I had watched some teardown videos of the pi and what I saw made me think physically removing the wifi and bluetooth likely wouldn’t work but it’s not my specialty so I thought I’d ask.

I could ebay some pi 2’s, get a pi zero + usb ethernet, or order a pi B+ when they come back in stock. If I got some other ARM board what’s a good place to start looking? I would like gpio like the pi and/or SPI with a dedicated ethernet port. I probably want it to run linux.

You're being paranoid to the point that it's making your life more difficult for no gain.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

How about killing the antenna? The 3+ and 4 use a PCB antenna, cutting the traces with a scalpel should make the WiFi inoperable without being too invasive.

Would that render it inoperable, or just short-range?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Dren posted:

http://linuxgizmos.com/introduction-to-catalog-of-125-linux-hacker-boards/

I would probably look at the Odroid offerings first. Orange Pi has some options as well and you can't beat their prices. That said, I've heard support has been an issue in the past.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Would that render it inoperable, or just short-range?
short range at first then thermal throttling will kill it if it can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_wave_ratio

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Just stumbled upon this thread. Recently set up a little home workshop again to do soldering/tinkering with different stuff. Today I ordered an Odroid N2, a RockPro64 with the famicom style roshambo case, a cool DIY handheld inside an altoids tin(called the MintyPi), and a handheld DIY kit in the style of a Game Boy Advance using a Compute stick 3+. Would anyone be interested in a bit of a trip report once I get one or all up and running? I can provide links if anyone is curious to look at these projects as well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

evil_bunnY posted:

short range at first then thermal throttling will kill it if it can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_wave_ratio

Nice, that’s cool.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I just became aware of RISC-V recently and was curious what sort of options are out there currently, which led me to this interesting system:
https://www.seeedstudio.com/Sipeed-MAix-BiT-for-RISC-V-AI-IoT-p-2872.html

64bit dual core RISC-V @ 400Mhz with FPU (single & double precision), overclockable to 800Mhz
Also has a KPU(analogous to a tensor core i guess?), and a bunch of other neat stuff.
Seems to be specifically aimed at IoT machine learning type tasks and computer vision, but could be handy for as a super cheap general alternative to rpi/arm with reasonable computing power(for the cost anyways).

There is an even a cheaper ~$8 module/breakout thing or $9 with wifi.

Here's one play Quake 1 @ close to 60fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poBBrIWt_HE

mewse
May 2, 2006

peepsalot posted:

Here's one play Quake 1 @ close to 60fps

Is that the 320x200 software renderer?? Like 1996 pentium speeds?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

mewse posted:

Is that the 320x200 software renderer?? Like 1996 pentium speeds?
Dude, I don't know, just thought it was neat. It is $12 for a full dev board...
Of course its only 400Mhz so its not quite in the same league as higher end multi Ghz ARM chips, sorry to bring up such a lovely dumb thing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

peepsalot posted:

Dude, I don't know, just thought it was neat. It is $12 for a full dev board...
Of course its only 400Mhz so its not quite in the same league as higher end multi Ghz ARM chips, sorry to bring up such a lovely dumb thing.

I was just wondering if you had more info. Risc-v does look interesting but that demo is kinda like "look, it can run doom!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm pretty sure a 1996 pentium wasn't getting 60fps in quake, even at minimum resolution.

Like I remember getting a new computer in about 2001 and thinking "god drat, Unreal Tournament really screams on this beast!!" because it was consistently above 30.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I definitely dismissed RISC-V as some dumb idealistic open source thing that would go nowhere when it first started being talked about

And then nVidia and Western Digital jumped on board, ditching Arm, and proved me totally dumb and wrong

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
It can run quake? Is there a binary for that? The camera and TFT arrived for my Grove AI HAT yesterday (same K210). Haven't had a chance to try them yet.

On the KPU, I believe TensorFlow... weight things and some others can be changed to the native binary format for flashing. I believe there are some minor gotchas when implementing the net but it's easily avoidable.

On the whole disabling the wifi chop on the Pi, cutting the wifi aerial would probably do it in no minor way. Not having an aerial is a fantastic way to destroy a transmitter.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

General_Failure posted:

It can run quake? Is there a binary for that? The camera and TFT arrived for my Grove AI HAT yesterday (same K210). Haven't had a chance to try them yet.

On the KPU, I believe TensorFlow... weight things and some others can be changed to the native binary format for flashing. I believe there are some minor gotchas when implementing the net but it's easily avoidable.

On the whole disabling the wifi chip on the Pi, cutting the wifi aerial would probably do it in no minor way. Not having an aerial is a fantastic way to destroy a transmitter.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's customary to show off Doom/Quake running on new gadgets or unusual hardware.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I can't wait for Diablo to become the new benchmark

https://github.com/diasurgical/devilution

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

General_Failure posted:

https://github.com/elect-gombe/quake-k210

Found the link from here, bunch of other demos too (incl Doom)
https://maixduino.sipeed.com/en/others/what_maix_do.html

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Awesome!

When I received my HAT I was lovely when I discovered there was no way to code for it on the RPi or the Jetson nano. So I built the toolchain for armhf and aarch64, mangled the seeeduino json for arduino and put the built toolchains on github. gently caress 'em.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's customary to show off Doom/Quake running on new gadgets or unusual hardware.

Yeah exactly

Quake is the measuring stick for running moderately complex software as it's written in c/c++ so it compiles everywhere, the source code is open source and it looks good in demos

Also shows some level of maturity in the compiler/kernel/hardware access. It was a really big deal when someone finally rooted the Verizon Droid phone and got Quake running on it. You haven't rooted a device until you've got Quake running on it.

My Pentium 90 workstation back in freshman year highschool was hot poo poo and ran every program I needed it to, plus it software rendered quake 1 at north of 20 frames per second, sometimes as high as 26. I'm impressed with that tiny tiny chip. That chip is equivalent to my entire world back in 1998 or whatever and used to keep my bedroom heated in the winter. I'm impressed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Chinese companies moving from ARM to RISC-V due to export bans etc makes me wonder what that may mean for risc-v security (or lack of it) going forward.

Like will that increase the backdoor potential of IoT devices sprinkled about if they are running some customized risc-v that is CCP approved.

Not that IoT stuff isn’t already hilariously insecure already.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Happened to see this in another thread, if anyone is curious about risc-v's quirks:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ante posted:

I can't wait for Diablo to become the new benchmark

https://github.com/diasurgical/devilution

This is cool but there's no freely distributable binary. Quake has a shareware distribution which makes it a lot easier to play with quake assets without having to dick around with having to warez the files

I happen to have all the files for Q1/2/3 but that's because I ripped them from the original CD myself years ago (when I still owned a CD ROM), but I doubt the average 16 year old programming prodigy has ever even played quake at this point

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I hear Steven Hawking was quite the quake master

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Generic reply.
I ended up grabbing the Doom and Quake games during various steam sales over the years. It's easy for me to grab the level files I need now. I dumped them off the floppies / CDs millennia ago, but I have no idea what happened to them.

Backdoors in hardware introduced at manufacture time (and I'm not talking about that recent tiny Chinese backdoor chip in server hardware) for RISC-V are a concern I guess. Not too worried about the K-210 though. Because any IO is essentially program-centric it'd be a bit of a pain to have an exploit without layers of compromised source.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
E: Changing this post because the problem changed.

I’m trying to install gst-MMAL right now and ran into an issue where some .c files are calling for header files from interfaces/mmal when I go to make this project.

The problem with this is that interfaces/mmal is an external folder within the Raspberry Pi and make doesn't seem to see it when running. Is there a workaround for this?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 29, 2019

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
My Pi 4 runs really drat hot even when idle. This might even be worse than early Pi 3 heat levels. At least I got an excuse to do another active cooling setup.

Edit: Speedy as hell tho, and works just fine as a combination NAS + Pi Hole setup.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

klosterdev posted:

My Pi 4 runs really drat hot even when idle. This might even be worse than early Pi 3 heat levels. At least I got an excuse to do another active cooling setup.

Edit: Speedy as hell tho, and works just fine as a combination NAS + Pi Hole setup.

Please do the needful.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Moey posted:

Please do the needful.

Looks noisy.

Ordered one of these and some jumper wire to tide me over until I do something more fun like

Also been sitting on an idea where I make a case out of aluminum screen (heat conductive and lots of surface area!) and use the case to passively cool it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

klosterdev posted:

Also been sitting on an idea where I make a case out of aluminum screen (heat conductive and lots of surface area!) and use the case to passively cool it.

Like this?: https://flirc.tv/more/raspberry-pi-4-case