Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

It owns is why. Louvers, the wheels, that decal along the side, it's a Pontiac. Hell yeah.

Counterpoint: it's a Chevette without a V8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

That car was never the pace car or a festival car. Indy 500 was top dog awesome race number 1 in 82.

There were (and still are) a number of festival cars (or support cars, or "official" whatever) every year that are not the same model as the pace car. But looking at it more closely, I doubt it was even one of those. The '82 pace car livery was silver, but had a dark blue stripe low on the body. That Pontiac wouldn't have matched at all.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wasn't the Pontiac version of the Chevette the T1000?

Also chuckling at has the "350 in it" ad from the other post.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Also chuckling at has the "350 in it" ad from the other post.

Yes. It was a mistake to pay $1500 for one when it was new.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, Pontiac was going to four digit numbers for their new naming scheme in the very early 80s. T1000, what would become the Sunbird was initially just the J2000 and of course the 6000. It's kind of amazing how quickly they reversed course on it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Holy poo poo, I never put that together. :aaa:

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
In Canada it was called the Pontiac Acadian. They were everywhere at one time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Fornax Disaster posted:

In Canada it was called the Pontiac Acadian. They were everywhere at one time.

Thankfully they are now almost nowhere.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Q_res posted:

Yeah, Pontiac was going to four digit numbers for their new naming scheme in the very early 80s. T1000, what would become the Sunbird was initially just the J2000 and of course the 6000. It's kind of amazing how quickly they reversed course on it.

My driver's ed car was a 6000. :v:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Elephanthead posted:

That car was never the pace car or a festival car. Indy 500 was top dog awesome race number 1 in 82.

bennyfactor posted:

There were (and still are) a number of festival cars (or support cars, or "official" whatever) every year that are not the same model as the pace car. But looking at it more closely, I doubt it was even one of those. The '82 pace car livery was silver, but had a dark blue stripe low on the body. That Pontiac wouldn't have matched at all.

While you're both probably correct about the car's (lack of) provenance...it's an '86.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

My driver's ed car was a 6000. :v:

First car was a 6000. Lasted the family until sometime in the mid 2000’s when my mom finally killed it. Have dual bench seats was awesome on days when school let out early after finals were done as I would load up 6 people in the car and we all had seatbelts. The lockup torque converter wouldn’t unlock after the car was hot and leave me stranded until we figured out how to disable it. Thus my car hypochondria.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Darchangel posted:

Counterpoint: it's a Chevette without a V8.

Point taken (this is AI, after all), but "weight balance" and "traction" are real things. I am, however, intrigued by the possibility of a 60* V6 swap.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Dagen H posted:

Point taken (this is AI, after all), but "weight balance" and "traction" are real things. I am, however, intrigued by the possibility of a 60* V6 swap.

Then put the 350 in the back.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/oroville-1962-impala-ss-convertible/6940737047.html

"No lowballwers, i now wat i got, also, no interior, engine, or trans and it needs to be imported to the US"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

boxen posted:

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/oroville-1962-impala-ss-convertible/6940737047.html

"No lowballwers, i now wat i got, also, no interior, engine, or trans and it needs to be imported to the US"

No tires kickers my time is valuable. No joy rides!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

That was popular back in their day, as I recall, or the 3.8 Buick V6.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Darchangel posted:

That was popular back in their day, as I recall, or the 3.8 Buick V6.

I seem to remember at the local street races back in the day, a Buick 3.8 swapped "vette".

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Elephanthead posted:

No tires kickers my time is valuable. No joy rides!

Added amusement: It's also not an SS. An SS would have an "SS" emblem on the rear quarters next to the "Impala" lettering, the silver rear panel that goes across the rear would have an engine-turned finish and not just be silver in color, and the chrome strip along the side would have the same engine-turned finish on a strip in the middle (you can see it in red in the car next to it, that caar is also a 1962 impala, not an SS). An SS would also have bucket seats, a console, and a grab bar on the passenger side dash, but any interior that car had is long gone.
Compare to this, which actually is what he claims his car is: https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/AZ18/Arizona/lots/r215-1962-chevrolet-impala-ss-convertible/616925

More obviously, the front end of a car is a different color than the rear, so you probably get to deal with the added fun of the frame being bent from a collision.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Buddy of mine has some classics for sale in Austin, TX

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 25, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Would not mind having one or more of those. One of these days...

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

Paint it yellow and it’s the Turtlevan

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I like this one just for the list of problems.

"exhaust leak"
"kind of an ugly color tbh"
"frames bent"

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I think this is a high score in "ran when parked" age.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Amazing they tossed a 455 down that thing given the time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Amazing they tossed a 455 down that thing given the time.

'73 was pretty much the last year of the 455.

edit: oh, wow, it was used until '76 in some models, including the Toro (though that particular article says, '70, the Toronado article says '76):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_V8_engine#455

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 30, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pontiac still offered their 455 up until around 76 as well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

StormDrain posted:

I think this is a high score in "ran when parked" age.

That generation is has a few really unique styling ideas, it became uglier and more conventional with each refresh, though. The '73 still has the neat grilless nose, the 5 mph bumpers spoil it a bit.

Just below the back window, where, uh, the moss is growing, are a pair of high level brake lights. I think this was the first car to have them. One of the stylists got the idea when he almost rear ended a car.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

I could smell the Florida on that before I even read the description.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I think the kicker here is the "car has no motor"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

new batman movie lookin' low budget

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I remember years ago, some goon posted pictures of his Miata, that he bashed with the baseball bat, because of some unrelated mental issues or something. Maybe he moved to Florida and continuing the tradition

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nitrox posted:

I remember years ago, some goon posted pictures of his Miata, that he bashed with the baseball bat, because of some unrelated mental issues or something. Maybe he moved to Florida and continuing the tradition
Was it blue?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm still trying to figure out what the top is made out of.....Looks like a Hefty Lawn and Garden trash bag.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what the top is made out of.....Looks like a Hefty Lawn and Garden trash bag.

Plasti-dipped tarp from Harbor Freight.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/ctd/d/land-lakes-93-mazda-miata-trade-classic/6932733115.html

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'd drive the hell out of that.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Rhyno posted:

Plasti-dipped tarp from Harbor Freight.

looks like Boat-Wrap to me? the kind you can heatshrink around edges... that’s almost always blue tho

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Krakkles posted:

I'd drive the hell out of that.

Rebuilt title tho.....So sick of that. A lot of cars I become interested are winding up with rebuilt titles it's getting more and more common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

snugglz posted:

looks like Boat-Wrap to me? the kind you can heatshrink around edges... that’s almost always blue tho

I was just going with whatever the shittiest, cheapest option I could think of.