Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Behavioral Adjustment Facility, a level 50 Incarnate Trial that features a pubbie herding phase with like 8 zones that need to be covered or you lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I AM THE MOON posted:

Behavioral Adjustment Facility, a level 50 Incarnate Trial that features a pubbie herding phase with like 8 zones that need to be covered or you lose

who on earth thought that a hollows trial for a new generation was a good idea

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jazerus posted:

It’s super easy. It’s content designed for like 24 people which is more than enough to cover 6 spawn points for five minutes.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Jazerus posted:

tbf it requires a league of level 50 incarnates so theres a million lore summons, judgments, and patron summons to cover the escapees. literally like 10 defenders per spawn lol

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Captain Oblivious posted:

It’s super easy. It’s content designed for like 24 people which is more than enough to cover 6 spawn points for five minutes.

Last week I was on a group that failed two BAFs in a row.

Never underestimate stupidity.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Last week I was on a group that failed two BAFs in a row.

Never underestimate stupidity.

gotta get on those Bernie Cinders runs. Did 8 in a row with 0 escapees and earned a bunch of rare mats

the best is when you start up and theres no loving cutscene #feelthebern

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It seems the new forum software for Homecoming is bad, so they're reverting back to SMF:

Attention: Please read the following announcement regarding the forums and New Game Accounts
By GM Fiddleback 07/24/19

At this time it looks like the forums will be reverted to the previous version.

At that time, once it is complete, it is reasonable to expect new Game Account creation will be restored.

There is no official time for this to occur as it relies on Devs getting home from work and preparing. Downtime may be extensive.

Please, if you have posted important content to these forums, save that content off.

More details to follow as we get them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
dang i wonder what happened

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

Another thing to remember is that being a super hero game, yeah you may suck at lower levels, but basically anyone can become a god of death and destruction between IO sets and incarnate stuff at 50.

Then you can go to oroborous and play through any story arcs you missed as your overpowered self.

And also count me in for the "mostly solo" crew. And I do it as a blaster, so it's completely doable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I haven't done any grouping yet, no. I tend to be a very solitary player, and a casual single-player experience (that happens to have other people around) is what I was hoping for. I do enjoy playing a support role in groups, but CoH doesn't have the tools to easily drop into group content that WoW and FF14 have that make grouping in those games tolerable for me (and even then, not something I do much in WoW especially unless it's finishing a zone story ending in a dungeon).

As someone who almost always uses automatic group finders in other MMOs, grouping in CoH is very chill and I recommend giving it a shot. There aren't any hard and fast role requirements and generally you can jump into a group at any level because of the very generous level scaling. It's a lot of fun to just come along for higher or lower level adventures and people don't mind if you have to leave after just a few missing generally. You can just respond to someone in the LFG channel and probably end up in a chill group more often than not.

It's been a nice experience overall. No guarantee I'll click for you like it does for me but it's worth a shot. CoH is a total blast in groups.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cythereal posted:

And a personal bugaboo, but I tend to play video games mainly for story, and I don't feel like I'm getting much of one so far. I can't tell whether most or all or none of these contact missions are randomly generated filler or not - the only one I've done that I'm certain was not was a arc about a hero named Twinshot and raiding Manticore's mansion. I seemed to be on a story arc about fighting the Hellions, until it suddenly turned into hunting the Circle of Thorns. Was that Bahamut guy I stomped in an office building the Hellion leader or something?

Part of the problem is that the game went through a few distinct phases of content, but now it's just one big soup pot of story threads. You mentioned doing missions for Azuria earlier? That's a launch-era, super basic introductory contact meant to give Magic heroes something vaguely mystical to do and I think was only reactivated in Homecoming as an alternative to Matthew Habashy because why not. Early contacts, both in level range and development age, usually give a random smattering of small tasks rather than any concrete story arcs. Actual factual Official story arcs don't properly appear until level 15 or so, and even then they're pretty basic to start out with. There are also a few throwaway missions that are often overlooked completely (usually in the mid-levels) that actually toss in some pretty interesting nibbles of story without actually being full blown arcs.

If you want to get embroiled in some early proper story arcs, you need to hit up Lt. Wincott in The Hollows to start that zone's story thread (albeit a more rudimentary one) or tough it out until about level 15 and make your way to Faultline and talk to Jim Temblor for a more modern zone arc. There's also the new Kings Row arcs dealing with the Skulls that I don't remember if you said you've done or not. Another workaround is going through Ourboros; you won't be able to do much there until level 20 or so but once you're there you'll be able to zero in on significant content without needing to sort through the chaff. Its whole purpose is to allow you to go back and play content you probably missed while leveling or replay stuff you really like.

Fake edit: More or less beaten, but oh well.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 24, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
On a related note, I've been considering working on some kinda lore dive project just for fun, though I'm both terrible at sticking with projects and I have no idea what format to use. But I'd love to be able to reach into the depths of CoH's storylines and highlight some of the really cool stuff...

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
SO heads up, if someone quits a taskforce, it can bug out and have you groundhog day the same mission over an over. We were doing POSI1 with some pubbies and I had the level at +2, forgetting that no one else was at 15+, so those ambush waves in the one vhaz mission wiped us. Pubbie quit and we got trapped in hell.

About to relog to see if that fixed it

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Epilogue: Relogging fixed it, though we fought 6 shadow clones to our team of five.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I AM THE MOON posted:

you totally CAN solo but even batman is part of the justice league or hangs out with superman or whatever sometimes.

batman got kicked out of the justice league for not doing enough dps

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

batman got kicked out of the justice league for not doing enough dps

superman quit bc the stalker tanked better than he did

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

Uh, excuse me. Batman isn't a dps. he is clearly support as a Dev/MA Defender. And furthermore

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

site posted:

dang i wonder what happened

They fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never hire Radium to manage your forum software."

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
smh at all these cowards not on the roleplaying server. are you even really playing the game?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Jesus Christ.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Haha they think they’ll be able to stop beating off to their 12 year old pregnant futa catgirl long enough to get Incarnate powers.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

Judgement posted:

((Hello, can I get an invite? You'll see that I've only taken two powers from my primary and the default from my secondary, but they're fully slotted and I've taken every Power Pool in their place because they fit my character concept. Cool, thanks, the character name is Mewcifer Nyamaste, I'll just be a second while I set up the rest of my text macros.))

who did this. show yourself!

oh, the very post after mine. well, nevertheless,

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Judgement posted:

who did this. show yourself!

oh, the very post after mine. well, nevertheless,

He's a fire/spines farmer! :haw:

Not a very good fire/spines farmer, see the dying in five seconds, but still. Seems like every time I turn my notoriety up, I run face-first into a wall and turn it back to 0 or -1.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Nemo posted:

Haha they think they’ll be able to stop beating off to their 12 year old pregnant futa catgirl long enough to get Incarnate powers.

they're veteran level 23. multitasking is apparently very important to them.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Oh, veteran level. That makes sense.

I guess my brain stopped working when the magically-mutated Impervium-plated shield tanker had a Natural origin.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Judgement posted:

smh at all these cowards not on the roleplaying server. are you even really playing the game?

Ill give the RP server a go, how bad could it b... :dogbutton:

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms

They had us in the first half, not gonna lie

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

tezcat posted:

Ill give the RP server a go, how bad could it b... :dogbutton:

The real secret to the RP server is to completely avoid Pocket D and either play out your performance art gimmick characters on PUGs or get in with a proper RP team/SG and have meaningful interactions.

I'm generalizing, but Pocket D only contains two kinds of roleplayers in my experience: Weird and disturbing folks looking to cyber and cliqueish dramalords aloofly standing around privately roleplaying in public and generally acting above everyone else, especially anyone who would ERP in City of Heroes. Except of course when they switch to their own ERP characters.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Will the homecoming servers have the xmas content? I vaguely remember skiing was involved

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

here comes the spunk posted:

Will the homecoming servers have the xmas content? I vaguely remember skiing was involved

It's permanently live and available right now, in Pocket D. There just isn't usually anybody in the ski slope because it's not a limited time thing.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
You can ski any time

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Oh poo poo. How do I get there? I must of missed a door in Pocket D

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

IIRC it's upstairs on the villain side of Pocket D. A big obvious mine door with a snowdrift in front of it.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Yeah RP server is absolutely fine, just don't go to Pocket D for any reason except changing your alignment with the gull, and don't look around or make eye contact with anybody while you do it. That one I posted up there was spotted in Ouroboros, but they weren't like, making a scene or anything. You'll see people around with weird or really questionable poo poo in their bios all over the place, but the vast majority are pretty normal and inoffensive.

A lot of the most horrifying stuff I've seen was really obviously somebody doing a ~hilarious~ sendup of how most people view roleplayers, and even the true weirdos who actually venture outside of the Club or their private apartment bases generally keep to themselves and will ask upon joining a group what sort of stuff everybody is okay with.

The rp channel also sucks don't join it unless you just want you hear the sound of me punching 5th columnists in the face really loving hard and the splatter of their brains all over the walls, as I say "I've got your final solution right here you nazi scum" showing up occasionally in your chat feed with zero context.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

That last part sounds cool, actually

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

The battle cry for several of my characters is "Punch Nazis 24/7!"

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I had a few RPers get mad at me for singing a badly rendered 'Monster Fash' monster mash remix, that included lots of lines about bashing and beating up fascists for fun.

It only made discussing beating up fascists quasi-IC more amusing.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Haaa, Goddamn. Feline Fighter's player there is a friend of mine for like 15 years. They are.. mentally special. Asperger's perhaps. I really dont have the heart to rip into them over poo poo like that, because they are otherwise a sweet person. Rather than make alts for their characters like that, they make alternate Accounts. Then, I assume, RP at themselves. 'Joke' rear end fetish characters, being sperged over to min max the mechanical stats, Jesus loving Christ backstories and themes. I don't engage that part of their poo poo. I will help with farming, or other missions, mechanical advice for builds, but RP? loving NOPE!

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 25, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The IBP forums are now here to stay.

Our plans for the forums
By Cipher

Firstly, I’d like to apologize for the very rocky last 48 hours with the website. A lot of things went poorly during migration and we ran into a big issue that either did not occur or was not as obvious during the test migration done a while ago. This issue was the biggest cause of delay during migration as it required some research, database work, and programming to resolve.

Our plans moving forward have changed several times, as I’m sure many have noticed, but a final decision has been reached. We will be sticking with IPB and working to improve it, both functionally and visually. This begins with tweaking the theme to condense things a little and replacing the WYSIWYG editor and HTML system that IPB currently uses for posts with a new system that uses BBCode instead.

We’re aware that some people are happy about the new forums and others dislike them. If you have a problem with or criticism of the new forums, I welcome you to create a thread here. We will be keeping a close eye on feedback and suggestions.

Finally, members of our amazing GM team have offered to help go back and fix popular posts and guides that had their formatting get a bit messed up during migration, so hopefully we can get those fixed up ASAP.

Again, we apologize for the mess and constant back-and-forth since the migration started; hopefully we can make the new forums something that everyone is happy with and comfortable using.

As of the time of this post emails have been fixed, registration has been re-opened, and other features have been re-enabled.

Thank you for you continued support as always,
- Homecoming Team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

John Murdoch posted:

The real secret to the RP server is to completely avoid Pocket D and either play out your performance art gimmick characters on PUGs or get in with a proper RP team/SG and have meaningful interactions.

* Create a character who, from an RP standpoint, is a complete rear end in a top hat.

* Accept an invitation to a random PUG.

* The first time someone talks in character say (("Whoops, I'm sorry, I didn't know this is an RP group. I'd be glad to RP, but I should mention that this character is a bit salty, is that OK?"))

* Crudely hit on every woman in the group (naturally they're all women). Be as disgusting as you can.

* (("I can't help it, it's what my character would do!"))